• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Wright: Does he have the Wright stuff?

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
I'm sure there's been plenty of threads made suggesting the Ace Attourney be in the next Smash Bros., but I might as well give it the old college try...so here we go!

Pheonix Wright may not have any bizarre elemental powers, or super strength, or latent psychic abilities. Nor does he possess a God-tier sword, nor does he have an amazing spaceship and a king's ransom in fururistic weapons, He doesn't have the power to destroy a thousand star systems with a single punch (I'm looking at you, captain falcon). He's not even a first party character. So why would I suggest Pheonix Wright as a possible contender in the greatest brawl to ever exist? The answer is more obvious then you think, Originality. If you break down smash bros. to it's core, the series is, in reality, a salute to Nintendo, it's franchises, and most importantly, the idea that an original twist to a traditional concept can sell more games then better gaphics anyday. Pheonix Wright was one of the many (albit larger) reasons why the DS outsold the PSP nearly worldwide. To this day, copies of Phoenix Wright sellout within days, and Capcom has already gurenteed yet another redestributing. Despite its constently reused sprites and lack of most spoken dialoge, PW's unique brand of humor, it's compelling (albit linear) gameplay, and quircky charm has made it one of the most sought after and critically acclaimed DS titles. This wacky brand of humor, this never-let-go gameplay, can be seen in Smash Bros. To be blunt, Pheonix Wright is a perfect representative for the DS. I'm sure the geniuses behind the Falcon Punch and the Firefox can give pheonix a movelist that feels like the kind of moves an over-dramatic defense attourney would use if he was fighting fire throwing italians, a black hole disguised as a cute pink puffball, and a pair of giant, floating, omnipotent gloves.

of course, this is mostly opinion, and there are far more deserving candidates then Phoenix, but you have to admit, he deserves a shot just like everybody else.

PS: I found this sketch (drawn by "ALGUS") on Nintendo's official Smash bros. forum. depicting a possible moveset. I like it, but do you? Discuss...

PSS: If you want to see more character concepts, here's a link:
http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=smash&message.id=405474

fluffy

Smash Champion
gawsh it was annoying to read ur stuff.

**EDIT**
nvmd, wasnt he a trophy?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
No, his game came out after Melee. I doubt he'll be in it with the other 3rd party characters he has to compete with.

Moonless

Smash Rookie
Marshigio said:
No, his game came out after Melee. I doubt he'll be in it with the other 3rd party characters he has to compete with.

Actually, Gyakuten Saiban (for the GBA) was released around a month before Melee (minor trivia).
I'd love to see Phoenix Wright in Brawl, even if he was just a trophy or something as minor. His games were only released in Nintendo platforms (with the exception of PC ports), and I think he is way too awesome to be left out, specially considering how famous Gyakuten Saiban is in Japan.

PS: There is, in fact another thread for Phoenix.
PPS: IIRC, the producer of Ace Attorney was Shinji Mikami, and I think he kind of likes Nintendo. An opportunity?

Moonless

Smash Rookie
G.Fizzle said:
The chances of seeing him in Brawl are like one in a million to be honest so dont get your hopes up.
They are a lot better than one in a million. The only thing that doesn't go in his favour is the fact that he is owned by Capcom. Besides that, he's almost a Nintendo character. He's also ultra famous in Japan and moderatly famous in Europe and America. Sure, I don't expect to see him, but I wouldn't be too surprised if there is some sort of mentioning of him.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love Phoenix Wright... and I'm willing to repost my moveset for him here:

----------------

My vision is that his A moves are all various pointing and anime-take moves. As he fights, he will make anyong who plays Phoenix Wright laugh.

His B-moves would, of course, be his "Lawyer Skills."

-----------

B – “Hold it/Matta!” Counter - Phoenix points as a speech Balloon that says "Hold It" appears in front of him. Striking the "hold it" causes the enemy to by stunned. Phoenix will then be able to set the opponent up for combos.

Bup – “Objection/igiari!" - Phoenix jumps upwards while pointing upwards and yelling "Objection" The speech bubble flies upwards until it flies off the top of the screen. The Jump itself is medium-sized, like a Marth-jump. Only the speech-bubble can hurt.

Bdown – “Desk pound" - On the ground: He manifests a desk, which he pounds, knocking opponents away from himself. In the Air: He manifests the desk, sends it towards the ground, and slams it down, THEN he pounds for the added shockwave.

Bsmash – “Take That/Kurae!" - Phoenix throws a random piece of evidence from his briefcase (as the speech bubble appears over his head) They have different effects and arcs.
Subpoena: A weak piece of paper. about 4%. It travels in an upwards arc foreward.
Thinking Man Clock: A clock made in the shape of "the Thinker." Does about 10%. Travels in a heavy-handed downward arc.
Cell-phone: A pink cell-phone. about 7% damage. If it connects, Mia Fey's ghost continiues to attack for 5% per second.
Samurai Spear: A spear with duct tape around the shaft. High damage, but slow. about 15%.
Parrot: Yanni Yogi's Parrot. Travels up and down in a wave-beam type arc. about 13%.
Cracked Vase: A vase with a mysterious name written on the side. It breaks as it hits the ground or an enemy. the vase itself does about 10%, and the shards it leaves, if stepped on, do about 2%.
Motorbike: A large Pink motorbike. Rare, like stitchface turnips. does 30%, and has high knockback.

---------------

Super – “Psyche-Lock” - Large chains fling themselves across the stage and lock themselves towards the center of the stage.

Taunt - He scratches his chin, then does his classic Point and says "You're lying, and I can prove it."

-----------------

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
He is a Capcom character. That means his third party. If Capcom was to give a character, it would be Megaman. Phoenix has very little to no chance.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chidosengan said:
He is a Capcom character. That means his third party. If Capcom was to give a character, it would be Megaman. Phoenix has very little to no chance.
Who cares? We know that already. You should stop harping on it already. Everybody knows who has the most chance, but it doesn't stop Phoenix from being an awesome character deserving of a space in Smash (If not this smash, then one in the future)

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
thanks for the output, I like that movelist Dotdotdot, though I still think Cross examination would be a better B move.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I would LOVE to see pheonix wright in brawl*points at avatar*
I think that pheonix should be paired with maya fey, because she is always with phoenix during cases

I belive his moveset would be:

B:take that!- he uses a random piece of evidence as a weapon.

B>: hold it!- he sends out a giant "hold it" beam!

BV: spirit channel- maya calls apon the ghost of a random dead victim and they preform an attack.

B^: mia fey- mia feys ghost knocks phoenix into the air for forgetting the clients name.

super smash: OBJECTION!!!- shouts "OBJECTION!" and everyone on the stage freezes for a while.

taunt: holds a piece of paper in his hand and reads it.

grab>: tacks a piece of paper on the opponent and the paper EXPLODES!
grab^: throws the opponent upwards and the ghost of mia fey knocks the opponent in the air.
grabv: knocks the oppenent down with a gavel.
grab<: kicks the opponent backwards.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Kudos to Tirkaro for having this in his sig, saved me some time. THANKS TIRKARO!

Pheonix Wright has more than the Wright stuff. I think if they wanted a DS third party rep, it would be either Pheonix Wright or Dr. Stiles (Trauma Center) . Wright and stiles FTW!!!

Sinistar71

Smash Cadet
Ah, the old, "Goofy Lawyer VS. Emo Doctor" debate. I think Dr. Stiles would make a great addition too, but I'd much rather see Pheonix if I had to choose between the two. Now if Godot entered...

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ahh I'd love to see Nick in there. He's mah homeboy. I believe it was ...! that posted a moveset: I love it. =)

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
In honor of finishing Phoenix Wright 2 (The Japanese Import version. Guess what? It has full english, and it's very well translated!) I think this thread deserves a bump.

Okay, I think I have come to an interesting theory regarding how Phoenix could work in Brawl. Those who have seen My Ouendan/EBA moveset will find it quite familiar, though with it's own twist.

After finishing PW2 (No spoilers from me, don't worry) I think that a useful way to look at him as a fighting game character is to focus on his supporting cast.

Really, Phoenix would be nowhere without the help of Mia Fey, Maya Fey, Pearl Fey, **** Gumshoe, and even his opponent Miles Edgeworth. I propose that Phoenix have the ability to call his allies to do an attack for him, Not for B moves, mind you, those are for his infamous Exclaimations. I think that when Phoenix uses certain attacks (Like smashes, certain arials, and other strong attacks) he should call a friend to stand in front of him and do an attack, while he cowers, or stands thinking.

Of course, this would not be for every move. His B attacks should be his exclaimations, and his weaker A moves should involve him wielding pieces of evidence as a weapon.

Keep this thread alive!

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
As long as he has a Thinker Statue and shouts OBJECTION I don't care what his moveset is :p

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I love the Phoenix Wright games, and I know that he would be so funny in Brawl. It makes me sad when I realize that if Capcom's sending anybody over, they'll be sending Megaman. A guy can dream though, right?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I <3 Phoenix Wright.

I just got the Gyakuten Saiban orchestral version, and I listen to it on my brand spankin new Ipod now. It's awesome.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Gahh isn't is fantastic?! I love it oh so very much.

Any ideas for which song might be best suited for Brawl? "Questioning (Allegro)" comes to mind...maybe just feed the orchestral "Gyakuten Saiban - Courtroom Suite" some steroids for the less Brawl-esque parts.

Top Bottom