• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Wright: Does he have the Wright stuff?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gahh isn't is fantastic?! I love it oh so very much.

Any ideas for which song might be best suited for Brawl? "Questioning (Allegro)" comes to mind...maybe just feed the orchestral "Gyakuten Saiban - Courtroom Suite" some steroids for the less Brawl-esque parts.
Ooooh!

The fighting track should consist mostly of The "briefing" and "interrogation" songs, and when the time starts running out, it should suddenly switch to the "Got em on the ropes" music. All done in an awesome orchestral way.

Kalaquinn

Smash Apprentice
Just picked up the second Phoenix yesterday, and I must say, Phoenix Wright is my number one for a character I'd love to see in Brawl.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
I know that it is not too likely we will see more than one character come out of Capcom (and they have choices besides Phoenix for that second spot, like Bomberman), but I think PW would be the best possible choice for that unorthodox character that no one really expected, but everyone would LOVE to see in there. He's essentially a Nintendo character, he's popular in all markets, and he has a very distinct style unlike every other character in the game. They could do a LOT with him, and it wouldn't be like any other character's moveset.

Because he's essentially a Nintendo character, if Capcom is willing, I can very easily see Phoenix in Brawl as, say, the last unlock. I could see there being 4 3rd party characters; Snake, Megaman, Sonic, and Phoenix. And, like I say, at least Phoenix is basically synonymous with Nintendo. Many people might not even realize he's owned by a third party.

Phoenix is way better than all these other random Pokemon, or obscure characters from the NES days, chosen just because they're obscure. I hope Nintendo comes through with it!

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Hudson own Bomberman, not Capcom. As for Phoenix, I'll have to play one of his games first (I should soon, the first one's getting released here in a few days).

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Point will be the ultimate attack. His Down-B will be similar to DK's but he just slams both of his hands on the ground. :D

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Iggy, you're right. I don't know why I thought Capcom owned Bomberman... just a brain fart, I guess. And you also absolutely must play both the localized PW games. They're both outstanding (but the first is perhaps slightly better).

Personally, I think you can make a good case for Phoenix even over Megaman as the lone Capcom entity... but that's not going to happen. I'd love to see them both in, and I really think there's a good chance. Nintendo knows how popular Phoenix Wright is right now.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Personally, I think you can make a good case for Phoenix even over Megaman as the lone Capcom entity... but that's not going to happen. I'd love to see them both in, and I really think there's a good chance. Nintendo knows how popular Phoenix Wright is right now.
We can hope, yes, but realistically, the only think Phoenix really has going for him is the fact that all 3 (soon to be 4; or 6, counting the DS ports) of his games are completely Nintendo-exclusive. Other than that, his games don't actually sell very well outside of Japan, and he is an admitted stretch, Fighting-wise(though it's a stretch that I, and various others have made, so it's not impossible). Compared to Megaman, Phoenix doesn't really stand much of a chance.

But I can dream. *sigh*

Infil

Smash Journeyman
dotdotdot, I disagree. I don't think Phoenix is much of a stretch to come up with a moveset. Many characters in Melee had no apparent moveset and just had a "cool" demeanor (say, Captain Falcon). They came up with a moveset for G&W, after all.

In fact, Phoenix's uniqueness in his appearance only helps his case. Because of his style, and all his trademarks, he could easily be unlike any other fighter in the game, and diversity in the roster is something all designers look for. Not only are his games Nintendo-exclusive, but everybody thinks Phoenix is just... really cool. I'd say he's one of the most popular characters on Nintendo systems over the past year. Everyone's talking about him.

Granted, Megaman is also very cool, and I'd like to see both in. I still think the chances are pretty good.

EDIT - Megaman has also largely left the public eye. He'd be good for nostalgia, but most gamers haven't played a MM title in a long time. Also, Megaman has already been in fighting games (MvC2, and other Capcom crossover fighting games), so Nintendo may be less inclined for his inclusion based on that.

This is, of course, if they only had to choose between one of Megaman and PW, and nowhere has this been proven to be the case. Sakurai only vaguely stated a long time ago that he'd like to keep the tertiary characters to a minimum. Developer interests change, and you could even make a case that PW isn't a tertiary character.

Time to stop writing.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
dotdotdot, I disagree. I don't think Phoenix is much of a stretch to come up with a moveset. Many characters in Melee had no apparent moveset and just had a "cool" demeanor (say, Captain Falcon). They came up with a moveset for G&W, after all.

In fact, Phoenix's uniqueness in his appearance only helps his case. Because of his style, and all his trademarks, he could easily be unlike any other fighter in the game, and diversity in the roster is something all designers look for. Not only are his games Nintendo-exclusive, but everybody thinks Phoenix is just... really cool. I'd say he's one of the most popular characters on Nintendo systems over the past year. Everyone's talking about him.

Granted, Megaman is also very cool, and I'd like to see both in. I still think the chances are pretty good.

EDIT - Megaman has also largely left the public eye. He'd be good for nostalgia, but most gamers haven't played a MM title in a long time. Also, Megaman has already been in fighting games (MvC2, and other Capcom crossover fighting games), so Nintendo may be less inclined for his inclusion based on that.

This is, of course, if they only had to choose between one of Megaman and PW, and nowhere has this been proven to be the case. Sakurai only vaguely stated a long time ago that he'd like to keep the tertiary characters to a minimum. Developer interests change, and you could even make a case that PW isn't a tertiary character.

Time to stop writing.
But you have to remember, it's up to Capcom to make the final decision for which (if any) Capcom character gets in. Remember that it was Kojima that had to approach Sakurai to put in Snake. Megaman(and it's various spinoffs) is probably the most visible character on their roster, precisely because of his inclusion in the fighting games, and his various incarnations on all sorts of systems.

Also, Game and Watch was a stretch too. Phoenix is TOTALLY a stretch, but as I said, it's not impossible.

And for the record, I love Phoenix, but he is the very definition of a tertiary character. He's largely unknown outside of Japan and the Internet, the games have comparatively low sales, and Capcom has a HUGE roster of characters that would get in before Capcom would even think about Phoenix. The only real way that Phoenix could get in is if Shinji Mikami begged and pleaded, and even then, he's got some other characters he and Capcom might like to see in Smash before Wright.

It's good to be optimistic, but however you look at it, Nick's chances are not that good, and thats sad.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright's actually been selling pretty darn well in the west, I thought. It started out slow but word of mouth got it reprinted time and time again. ...still, he probably doesn't sell as well as Megaman, even if he's more talked about.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Well, I just think he'd be a good addition as far as characters suggested on these boards. If he doesn't make it in, I won't be crying foul. I look forward to seeing what characters Nintendo includes in the game. They'll do an awesome job regardless. I'm sure they'll surprise us with a few characters that will be better than any of the suggestions we've come up with, too.

Granted, Megaman would probably be cooler for longer. Phoenix might wear off after a while, but Megaman will always have that nostalgic value there.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I just think he'd be a good addition as far as characters suggested on these boards. If he doesn't make it in, I won't be crying foul. I look forward to seeing what characters Nintendo includes in the game. They'll do an awesome job regardless. I'm sure they'll surprise us with a few characters that will be better than any of the suggestions we've come up with, too.

Granted, Megaman would probably be cooler for longer. Phoenix might wear off after a while, but Megaman will always have that nostalgic value there.
Now theres a point where we disagree. I don't think playing as Phoenix would ever get old for me.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Well, since Phoenix is going to be in SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters DS, he might have a move set after all.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Now theres a point where we disagree. I don't think playing as Phoenix would ever get old for me.
Well, I said "might". Also, granted, I love the PW games, so I'm probably a little biased, but the average person might not find too much enjoyment in playing the character if they don't know him.

I don't know. He wouldn't get old for ME, but I can't speak for the general gaming crowd. They seem to want Fludd Mario and Re-Dead in instead of Phoenix. :p

It's really, really hard to choose him over Megaman, though, however sad that might be. That's why I'm really hoping that they'd both get in, and not one over the other.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Well, I said "might". Also, granted, I love the PW games, so I'm probably a little biased, but the average person might not find too much enjoyment in playing the character if they don't know him.

I don't know. He wouldn't get old for ME, but I can't speak for the general gaming crowd. They seem to want Fludd Mario and Re-Dead in instead of Phoenix. :p

It's really, really hard to choose him over Megaman, though, however sad that might be. That's why I'm really hoping that they'd both get in, and not one over the other.
Re-Dead?! Oh, man, you go too far with THAT one! :mad:

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I finally got Phoenix Wright, and it is awesome. I haven't cared about a game's character's ever until this one (especially Edgey, I liked how he was in case 4), I definitley support him getting into Brawl now (though I wouldn't want him to get in over Mega Man).

Finigin

Smash Cadet
Phoenix Wright is my number one most wanted character for Brawl. Since Link, Snake, and Pit already made it in, if Phoenix made it in, Brawl would be the perfect game for me.

I actually don't like Megaman that much. o.o Hence, I'd rather have Phoenix be the Capcom character. ^^; He is so unique, I think he would be very fun to play. I'd be disapointed if he didn't make in, but if they don't put him in they should give him a stage or at least a trophy.

Keep this thread alive, please! :3

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Actually, after playing Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright: Justice for All, I'd have to say Phoenix isn't really cut out for a game like Brawl... He's just your average attorney. I mean, he makes loud slamming noises and breaks down doors a lot, but still...

Fawriel

Smash Master
Keep this thread alive, please! :3
Kaykay!

Actually, I would have posted anyway.
That moveset picture in the start made me laugh so hard my head hurts now. :p
I was against Phoenix Wright for his inability to fight and because he seemed uninteresting, but... holy Jesus, "Appeal to Gravity" alone would make me cheer for his inclusion.
Plus, nothing is more awesome than a fighting guy in a good suit. And since the Turks are impossible, this guy is the next best thing. *grins*

Smady

Smash Master
What would his moveset be again? He spends half his games behind his desk. Not only that, after PW2 he's not the main character anymore.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
What would his moveset be again? He spends half his games behind his desk. Not only that, after PW2 he's not the main character anymore.
Actually, he is still the main character for most of PW3: Trials and Tribulations. He's the defendant in the first case, when you play as Mia, and the player character for most of the rest of the game.

Smady

Smash Master
Oh, alright then. Sorry for my mistake. From then onwards, though, isn't it a totally new cast?

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Why would Phoenix want to use the same weapon that killed his mentor?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Not Guilty

Nick
Brawl
- For -

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- STATS AND OTHER STUFF -

STRENGTH: His hits deal a medium amount of damage. Think green (Luigi) on this one.
DEFENSE: At 20%, he starts losing his ground upon strong hits. At 40%, he's flying without recovery for a bit. Something like Mario.
SPEED: At full run, Nick clocks in just below Sheik.
JUMP: Jump height is just between Link and Samus.
GRIP: Nick turns at the same speed as Marth.
WEIGHT: Nick is not a fastfaller, and has about the same flight distance:damage ratio as Samus.

Symbol: Nick's attorney badge.

Kirby Hat: Kirby dons a Phoenix wig!

Alternate Costumes: (Pictures coming later today)
1 - Phoenix's normal blue suit.
2 - Miles Edgeworth's regal red outfit.
3 - Nick's white musician outfit. (Seen on the cover of some of the GS music CDs)
4 - Pre-attorney Phoenix form GS3, the one with the pink sweater and face-mask.

Item: Luminol Spray - Reveals any and all cloaked enemies, covers the area around motion-sensor bombs with a white mist, and generally makes hiddent things (new items that haven't been revealed yet) not hidden anymore.

Taunt : Nick nervously chuckles, one hand on his hip, the other behind his head. See below. (Of course, it's only one run through.)

Winning Scene1: Nick adjusts his tie, then smiles and gives a quick nod toward the camera with one hand on his hip.
Winning Scene2: (Coming Today)

- "A" ATTACKS -

A - Nick punches straight ahead with his left fist, which can lead into...
AA - Another straight punch, this time with Nick's right. Links to...
AAA - A semi-spin with a right leg kick. You know the drill...
AAAA - Nick turns all the way around, ending his spin with a diagonal heel drop from his left leg...just kidding. He's not THAT athletic. He ends his combo with a spinning, full-palm slap!

Side A - Nick whips his briefcase in front of him, starting high and ending low.
Up A - Nick punches skyward, hopping about a foot off of the ground.
Down A - Nick trips over nothing, coming down hard in front of him. With good timing, this can go right into a shield roll.

Dash A - Nick crow-hops a few feet while winding up a punch, then jams it straight ahead into the foes gut.

- SMASH ATTACKS -

Side Smash - Nick grips his briefcase tightly in both hands, and baseball-swings it in front of him. A hit sends paper flying everywhere (just for effect).
Up Smash - More briefcase shenanigans ensue when Nick arcs the thing overhead, sending recipients diagonally downwards in front of him, sort of like Fox's Up Smash from behind.
Down Smash - A solid stomp in front of him. A full-charge yields a 3-stomp combo.

- AERIALS -​

Neutral Air - A horizontal spin, akin to Peach's Nair, only with Nick's briefcase. Paper will fly.
Forward Air - A punting kick, with slight lag for the wind-up. Acts like an upwards spike/meteor.
Backward Air - Nick spins around once in midair, briefcase leading.
Upward Air - The backflip kick. However, if Nick uses this, he ends up losing recovery, and crashes to the ground. Good timing can once again lead to a sheild roll.
Downward Air - The double-stomp, although it acts more like Sheik's than C. Falcon's (i.e. not a one-hit range).

- GRABS -​

Grab - Reaches out with both arms. The "bear hug" method.
Running Grab - Same as above, only with stopping lag.
Grab Attack - A knee to the, ahem, "lower body".

Forward Throw - A sidearm pitch using both arms.
Backward Throw - OH YEAH, THE WRIGHT-STYLE SUPLEX!
Upward Throw - A simple upwards toss, a la Mario.
Downward Throw - Nick drops the foe to the floor, then follows up with a devastating two-hit heel stomp combination.

- SPECIALS -​

B: Objection! - The finger of truth is wielded! If the finger lands right in the middle of an enemy, a nice "homerun" effect and HUGE knockback results. Like C. Falcon's knee, only cooler because it's Phoenix Wright. If you hit the sweet spot, expect a good 35-40% damage as well!
Side B: Witness Testimony - Nick glances over the witness' testimony, then with a quick shrug, flicks it away. If you've ever thrown cards, then you know how this sucker flies. A smashed version of this has Phoenix angrily reviewing the sheet, then whipping it away, dealing more damage, but with less range.
Up B: Flight of the Phoenix - (Note: I'm a bit shaky on this one, so any help would be appreciated) Nick flails wildly, clawing at the air and by some act of God, pulling himself heavenward. Damages like Luigi's dash.
Down B: Cross Examination - Phoenix mulls over his evidence (in paper form). Any attacks are met with a snappy counter, not damaging the foe, but leaving them stunned for a good 1 second, while Nick recovers immediately, ready to launch any attack.

BRAWL ATTACK: Turnabout! - Nick's determined visage flicks across the screen, and anyone unfortunate enough to be directly in front of him gets a face-full of finger. Phoenix moves around his opponent, quickly presenting piece after piece of contradicting evidence, sending objects and papers flying all over. When the dust settles, the enemy takes anywhere from 25-100% damage, based on how much % Nick has (get it? A turnabout?). No knockback, but huge damage.

Finigin

Smash Cadet
Dude, Chef Mendez, that is amazing! You win the internet! XD

Thanks for keeping this alive, guys! Phoenix is awesome!

Finigin

Smash Cadet
lmfao! Seriously, that is the best move set I've seen. I like the A attacks and the additional info you put (like his speed, jump, weight, and stuff) :D

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
lmfao! Seriously, that is the best move set I've seen. I like the A attacks and the additional info you put (like his speed, jump, weight, and stuff) :D
If you're going to do something, do it right, right?

On a related note, Sinistar had better copypasta that moveset to the first page...else I'll have to start quoting it every few pages...

Fawriel

Smash Master
Haha, bravo! That was nifty.

Some criticism, though: I don't agree with the speed... he doesn't seem THAT quick to me.
A sex kick ( which I assume you mean by the neutral aerial? ) doesn't really fit in my eyes, either, I'd replace the "briefcase aerial" with something else and make the nair a spin with the briefcase instead...
And it totally needs a hammer somewhere. Oh, and I hear he breaks down doors. However he does that, it should be a smash. Yep.

I'm not sure of something plausible to do with the up-b... the idea of just somehow being able to defy gravity is spiffy, especially with that name, but he isn't called Phoenix in Japanese...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Why "sex" kick?

I intended on fixing some things today, namely the recovery and his nair. Another briefcase sounds good.

Also, why a hammer, exactly? And yeah, he kicks down a door, but this isn't Dr. Baldhead/Faust here, it's a lowly defense attorney. Although that might work fo one of his winning scenes...

Top Bottom