• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu boards think they may have found a ~30% to death combo on almost everyone

Crow!

Smash Lord
Pikachu mains are currently investigating a combo which goes along these lines if I understand correctly:
1. Uair
2. Footstool
3. Quick Attack so they are hit at a time so they are "locked" (i.e. must stand up rather than rolling or attacking)
4. Repeat from 1. until they're at a killable range for Thunder
5. Jab to relock. This gives you enough time for the next step
6. Down-B for the stock

Allegedly, this works on various characters starting at various percents ranging from about 20% to 30% and going on upward, with very few characters being spared.

Usually these sorts of things are debunked after a little while of hype. I figure the more people there are who know about the claim, the sooner we can either confirm or deny the hype.

If it's legit, it's would be important information for evey smasher to know. If there's a way to escape it, knowledge of how to do so would be important information for every smasher to know. Either way, it's important tactical data for all players, not just pikachu mains.

So anyway, here's a link to their thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238293

And here's a link to one video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16YRH0gueDE&fmt=18

They've got another, better, video in the works, I believe.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Not something that really needs to be discussed in tactical.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Threads having one certain character as topic are not allowed in Tactical.
Yes, but it (allegedly) applies to every other character.. and in a dramatic way. Kind of like the threads discussing how to deal with MK's ledgestall or tornado as every other character; those threads are about one certain character (MK) but the topic discussed applies to everyone.

SDI is the most obvious route for finding an escape (especially since it's the only opportunity for input you're given in this combo), but we still need a description of what direction of SDI works, and under which circumstances, and for which characters, and if Pikachu can in turn respond to that SDI and continue the combo.

Anther

Smash Champion
Technically if someone wanted to do it from the center of the stage, you can SDI to mix up where you're going to be dramatically from the jab, but upon getting close to the edge then they can quick attack to the other side and go the other way. SDIing toward pikachu let him rapid jab you, while sding away, pika can walk forward and jab again... and then repeat the whole quick attack to the other side process.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Yeah. Point being that Uair as a setup for a lock (whether the lock's continuation is this one or just QAL) is pretty scary - Pika's Uair is one of the easier moves to score a hit with in the game.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
With footstools, can you only just stand up? Because if you can roll away or use wake up attacks, then this combo is not going to work.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
  1. This seems rather difficult to perform unless you have 100% precision
  2. The trick is not standing up. Just roll, or get up attack.
  3. SDI if you get caught
  4. Tech when you land because it looks like it would take some time for Pikachu to position itself
  5. Or space yourself accordingly, but don't focus too much on this because they might use it as a feint.

Sukai

Smash Champion
  1. This seems rather difficult to perform unless you have 100% precision
  2. The trick is not standing up. Just roll, or get up attack.
  3. SDI if you get caught
  4. Tech when you land because it looks like it would take some time for Pikachu to position itself
  5. Or space yourself accordingly, but don't focus too much on this because they might use it as a feint.
  1. Pros tend to be really precise.
  2. You are forced to get up after being hit in a footstool
  3. You cannot SDI completely out of range
  4. You cannot tech footstools
  5. You never know, these tactics tend to be used a lot. Best case scenario, the SBR bans it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
After the first footstool -> quick attack you can just QAC lock to death.
Um, no you can't lol. Unless your opponent has no idea what they are doing anyways.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Best case scenario, the SBR bans it.
this is such a recent thing and people already thinking this, it's like banning is just reflexive for anything the brawl community finds annoying lol. there's no evidence of what the impact of this may be, how are people already considering this?

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
The inital set up is so hard. Considering you have to face the opposite direction they are. I here a MK sidestep to dsmash coming. Then on top of that can you roll out of it. Also if you yell something really obnoxious the pikachu might mess up.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
... This looks scary ;O

Anyway, the title says: Pikachu boards think they may have found a ~30% to death combo on almost everyone

So, who isn't almost everyone?

ruin`

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to point out a few problems as to why this is simply hype.

1-Focusing on landing u.air will can be recognized by an opponent and can be punished.

2-Certain stages say no. Pokemonstadium1-2 changes, platforms on castle siege and other stages, etc etc.

3-Players learn to play the character smartly. From ~20-30% they tactically place themselves at or on the ledge.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
This really isn't such a big deal, but good to know anyways.
I mean, if you get U-aired by your opponent around 30%, you're really doing something wrong.
Just stay away from aerial play at that point, and IF you do, make sure you don't get punished for it, use your spacing tools, like Marth has F-air/N-air and Wolf has B-air, stay low and you'll be fine ;).

Sukai

Smash Champion
this is such a recent thing and people already thinking this, it's like banning is just reflexive for anything the brawl community finds annoying lol. there's no evidence of what the impact of this may be, how are people already considering this?
You misunderstood me.
I meant that under the scenario that it becomes overused and proven to be far beyond a viable tactic, therefore engulfs the metagame.
Like wobbling.

cutter

Smash Champion
You misunderstood me.
I meant that under the scenario that it becomes overused and proven to be far beyond a viable tactic, therefore engulfs the metagame.
Like wobbling.
Wobbling didn't "engulf" the metagame. ICs did not become god tier or dominate tournaments with it.

It's just a non-interactive tactic people hate for that reason.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
why do i feel like pika boards is an evil cult planning to kill us all?
your main is Fox, so i understand your pain *pats your back*

its alright my son, the golden steak from heaven will save us all from the devilish cult of the Pika Pii's

untill the golden steak from heaven answers our prayers...we must endure the long battle on a make-shift boat

Sukai

Smash Champion
Wobbling didn't "engulf" the metagame. ICs did not become god tier or dominate tournaments with it.

It's just a non-interactive tactic people hate for that reason.
But it was widely exploited and--lets face it--broken beyond all hell.

cheesdog

Smash Cadet
Are there any videos of this being done to someone who is trying to get out of it? Looked to me like there was nobody controlling DDK in the video by the OP...I wouldn't worry too much about this at all until someone has proven it is actually doable agasint a compitent opponent.

cutter

Smash Champion
Ah, but that's why it was banned, because it was broken.
Wobbling was not officially banned.

It was not banned by the SBR.

It was not banned by MLG.

The only people who banned it were people who whined about the non-interactivity it creates so they pre-emptively banned it without a good reason for doing so.

Top Bottom