• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Better Half: Dark Pit General/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm not quite finished with the moveset yet, but I do have the Final Smash finished to tell you.
It's the rain of arrows he can pull off in his boss fight, otherwise known as the special attack Bows can pull off.
I had also thought on that idea. it's like a PK Starstorm with arrows and on crack.

Both Pits can also use it in air battles, but Dark Pit also uses it in the boss battle, so yeah, it fits well.

I'd like that Pit would get the Great Sacred Treasure to fire a massive beam, it would compete with Samus and Lucario. lol

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I'm not sure if you meant for him to be a main character, or a selectable skin, so I am going to go ahead and say:

I think Dark Pit should just be a skin for Pit. Considering he is the same as Pit, his move set should be the same, imo. Anyways, since I say he should be just a skin, his moves SHOULD be the same.

Well, maybe I am wrong. Maybe he could work as a individual character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm not sure if you meant for him to be a main character, or a selectable skin, so I am going to go ahead and say:

I think Dark Pit should just be a skin for Pit. Considering he is the same as Pit, his move set should be the same, imo. Anyways, since I say he should be just a skin, his moves SHOULD be the same.

Well, maybe I am wrong. Maybe he could work as a individual character.
while I wouldn't mind DP as a clone... he has room for quite a few unique moves.

I don't think it'd make sense to have him use the Mirror Shield, since he doesn't use the Three Sacred Treasures (of which, guess what, Mirror Shield is part of).

I already made a moveset for him with the Dark Pit Staff as the main weapon, but for now we could wait for GoldenYuiitusin to finish his moveset, then discuss further possibilities.

D

Deleted member

Moveset and last points put in.
Finally finished with the damn thing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I've read the whole thing, but I'm still not convinced. At this point it feels like a pointless endeavor to hope for dark counterpart palette swap fodder as a playable character.

D

Deleted member

Coming from you with what you say about Mewtwo, no big loss in failing to convince you. :rolleyes:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm not exactly the only person that disagrees with all of this ether you know. In fact I think your the only person around here very enthusiastic about Dark Pit, or at least showing any form of caring.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
dark pit is a waste of a character space

and this is coming from someone who mains pit and uses his dark costume in brawl.

putting him in as a playable character is about as much of a waste as putting in daisy or dark link in as one.

they all should stay as costumes like they currently are.

The Most nintendo should do is give them a different voice clip when they're chosen, but thats about it. There are far more deserving characters from uprising than dark pit.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Moveset and last points put in.
Finally finished with the damn thing.
seems that quite a few attacks are the same as Pit... perhaps they could have different properties like Mario and Dr. Mario's attacks in Melee? but thanks to having different moves, they would actually play quite differently.

dark pit is a waste of a character space

and this is coming from someone who mains pit and uses his dark costume in brawl.

putting him in as a playable character is about as much of a waste as putting in daisy or dark link in as one.

they all should stay as costumes like they currently are.

The Most nintendo should do is give them a different voice clip when they're chosen, but thats about it. There are far more deserving characters from uprising than dark pit.
Another way to see it, I guess...?

besides Dark Pit, the other characters I see as playable from Kid Icarus are Palutena and Magnus. but considering Palutena, Viridi and Dark Pit are more popular, I think chances are favoring Palutena and Dark Pit.

but, honestly, I don't see how Viridi would fight, since she never physically appears during gameplay, with the closest to this being her appearence as a godly hologram-like vision to Pit, which only happens twice during her introduction chapter. but on the other side, she's a goddess and a moveset would be possible...

from the Kid Icarus series, only Dark Pit, Magnus and Palutena could have Smash movesets with moves based on the game, since all of them appear as bosses and the first two appear as playable in some point of the story.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Ok, I'm completely in. I've never thought of dark pit as a good character, but reading back through this thread has completely convinced me. I have yet to play uprising though (and not kid icarus either) so I don't really know the characters very well, but from what I've seen pitooey seems to have a nice personality and could definitely bring something new to smash.
Count me in.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ok, I'm completely in. I've never thought of dark pit as a good character, but reading back through this thread has completely convinced me. I have yet to play uprising though (and not kid icarus either) so I don't really know the characters very well, but from what I've seen pitooey seems to have a nice personality and could definitely bring something new to smash.
Count me in.
if you haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising... I recommend it. It's a very good game.

The story is good, with lots of humor and jokes, many plot twists and most of all, memorable characters.
Possibly one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game, along with Skyward Sword and Smash Bros. Brawl.
Lots of replay value, with achievements, unlockables, variable difficulty levels. Lots of weapons to collect, which can be used in multiplayer too.

there's only one flaw: the controls are love it or hate it, so you might want to consider this. no matter how many reviews you read, you can only judge them by playing the game itself.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Yeah.. I will play it, but for now I'm keeping my agenda open (so to speak) for pokemon white 2, but I'll probably get uprising after. I'm not sure if I'll like the controls though, from what I've seen they look tedious...

D

Deleted member

@Frostwraith: Well, when I say "Same as Pit", I'm only inferring that the attack motions are the same. I'm not implying same damage or properties, which they'd probably be a bit weaker due to the Silver Bow being a prototype of the Palutena Bow.

Though the animations can differ somewhat, given that while Luigi's Down Smash is the same as Mario's, it goes in the opposite direction.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah.. I will play it, but for now I'm keeping my agenda open (so to speak) for pokemon white 2, but I'll probably get uprising after. I'm not sure if I'll like the controls though, from what I've seen they look tedious...
it's up to your personal experience. that's all I can say about it. of course, Pokémon White 2 is also a good choice of a game. I am currently playing Black 2.

@Frostwraith: Well, when I say "Same as Pit", I'm only inferring that the attack motions are the same. I'm not implying same damage or properties, which they'd probably be a bit weaker due to the Silver Bow being a prototype of the Palutena Bow.

Though the animations can differ somewhat, given that while Luigi's Down Smash is the same as Mario's, it goes in the opposite direction.
perhaps they could be faster (but not Meta Knight fast). some variants on the same animation could be a nice touch to the moves, as well as different attack properties, much like what happens with Mario and Luigi (and Dr. Mario, as well).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Dark pit has potential to be a unique character in SSB4, but I think he will probably be a semi-clone, and then luigified later.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
isn't being semi-clone and luigified the same thing?

and yes, Dark Pit has potential for some differences, thanks to the massive amount of weaponry present in Uprising. he could use his aptly named Dark Pit Staff in one of his special moves.

also, his theme is epic.

however, I wouldn't mind him appearing as an alt for Pit, switching the voice clips as an easter egg, which shouldn't be big trouble since that both Pit and Dark Pit share voice actors in both Japanese and English voiceovers.

sakuraitweetedpicsofhimthereforehesplayable =P

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
oh, I see...

but why wait 2 games when he can already have the supposed SSB5 moveset on SSB4?

D

Deleted member

Hmm. Not that it really means anything in the long run (as Palutena is the only character to be given support anyway in Japan), but there are new figures of Pit, and Dark Pit, and well....
Pit has the Palutena Bow in his figure and Dark Pit has the Silver Bow AND the Dark Pit Staff.
http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/280602834746105857/photo/1
http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/280644701751738368/photo/1
http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/280645079314620418/photo/1

Which makes me ponder....what if Dark Pit had essentially two movesets, and he switched between the two by a Special, where he swaps the weapons? This probably would only affect his Normals, save for a Special (probably Neutral) where he fires the weapon. (Kirby would either only use one, or he alternates between the two at random)

On another note, I just noticed that the design on the bottom of their tunics are actually different in more than just color. Again, not that that means anything.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hmm. Not that it really means anything in the long run (as Palutena is the only character to be given support anyway in Japan), but there are new figures of Pit, and Dark Pit, and well....
Pit has the Palutena Bow in his figure and Dark Pit has the Silver Bow AND the Dark Pit Staff.
http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/280602834746105857/photo/1
http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/280644701751738368/photo/1
http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/280645079314620418/photo/1

Which makes me ponder....what if Dark Pit had essentially two movesets, and he switched between the two by a Special, where he swaps the weapons? This probably would only affect his Normals, save for a Special (probably Neutral) where he fires the weapon. (Kirby would either only use one, or he alternates between the two at random)

On another note, I just noticed that the design on the bottom of their tunics are actually different in more than just color. Again, not that that means anything.
of course the fact that Sakurai tweeted about those figures doesn't mean anything at all, but that idea of Dark Pit swapping between weapons would be unique.

similarly, Pit could also be able to switch between Palutena Bow and Palutena Blade.

so, when using bows, both Pits would be on the semi-clone territory, each character having his own quirks, but when using their other signature weapons (Palutena Blade and Dark Pit Staff), their playstyle would be different. this is a very interesting idea.

by the way, for those unfamiliar with Kid Icarus: Uprising's gameplay, blades are like swords but can also shoot projectiles. not too different from Saki's Cannon Sword from Sin and Punishment (the AT in Brawl).

as a sniping weapon, the Dark Pit Staff could fire very strong projectiles with above average range, but the melee attacks wouldn't be so powerful.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
That'd be a pretty interesting way of distinguishing between Pit and Dark Pit. Haven't played Uprising either, but it'd be surprising if anyone else from the series gets in before Palutena

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
What?

Okay, if there is going to be another Kid Icarus rep., it's not gonna be Dark Pit(hell, he's already a costume change for Pit in Brawl) nor Palutena (we don't need any gods/goddesses in smash bros.). It's gonna be Magnus from Uprising!!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Okay, if there is going to be another Kid Icarus rep., it's not gonna be Dark Pit(hell, he's already a costume change for Pit in Brawl) nor Palutena (we don't need any gods/goddesses in smash bros.). It's gonna be Magnus from Uprising!!
My, what a compelling argument you got there.

and Pit's black costume in Brawl isn't exactly equal to Dark Pit, but Dark Pit is surely based on that costume.

here's a comparison between Pit's black costume and Dark Pit... can you find all the differences?

[COLLAPSE="Images"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
As long as the devs differentiate Dark Pit a bit from Pitty Pat I'll support him.

Okay, if there is going to be another Kid Icarus rep., it's not gonna be Dark Pit(hell, he's already a costume change for Pit in Brawl) nor Palutena (we don't need any gods/goddesses in smash bros.).

He's not a god/deity, but I'm sure he qualifies.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
So many gods and goddesses. Who knew?:awesome:

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dark Pit thread: revival with a new moveset!

OVERVIEW
This moveset's idea is similar to one that I did for Anna in her support thread I made: it involves weapon switching to tweak the moveset, in other words, a "stance" moveset not unlike Zelda / Sheik or Pokémon Trainer from Super Smash Bros. or, outside of Smash, Gen from Street Fighter IV.​
When taking consideration of Sakurai's words regarding that a character must be unique, I asked myself this question: "Which weapons in Kid Icarus: Uprising that Dark Pit uses during the story that could contribute for a unique moveset?"​
On the other side, it would be best fitting if he had his signature Silver Bow, as it is the weapon he uses mostly during the story. That's how the stance moveset came to be.​
Further inspiring me to make a stance moveset for him is the fact that in Uprising's Chapter 6, focused on the showdown between Pit and Dark Pit, he switches weapons every time you defeat him in a mini boss battle.​
SPECIAL MOVES
[collapse="Special moves"]Down Special Move: Weapon Switch
Switch weapon to another according to the diagram:​
His main weapons are the Silver Bow, Ogre Club and Pandora Claws. Each has its own proprieties:​
The bow is balanced in both speed and attack power and give Dark Pit some similar attacks as Pit.​
Claws would give both movement and attack speed at the cost of attack power. Hardly have KO potential outside of Smash attacks.​
The club would be the opposite of claws, by reducing movement and attack speed, but granting destructive attack power.​
Neutral Special Move: Fire Weapon
Fires the weapon Dark Pit is wielding.​
Press B to fire the weapon, holding for continuous fire. If you don't use this attack for a while (around 2-5 seconds), you can fire a charge shot by pressing B. This would be recreation of Kid Icarus: Uprising's gameplay.​
While using the club as a weapon, there is no continuous fire. Instead, Dark Pit swings the club back and forth, dealing melee damage and bouncing back projectiles as well.​
Side Special Move: Dark Pit Staff
Originally, I intended to have the staff as one of his main weapons, but switched them with the Pandora Claws, because staffs in Uprising are sniping weapons and not viable for close combat.​
Anyway, in this move, Dark Pit picks his signature staff and fires it. Hold down B to charge and release to fire a charged shot or press B rapidly for continuous fire. You can aim the staff as you charge or fire, by pressing up or down.​
As you can see, this is the same move Golden posted in the OP. The only difference is that the move is assigned to Side B instead of Down B.​
The projectiles themselves are fast and a charged shot can KO at around 70%-80% damage, assuming Final Destination as the stage.​
Up Special Move: Pandora's Flight
Press Up + B to begin flying, having control over his flight much like Sonic's Super form during his FS. This is because Dark Pit can fly on his own with Pandora's powers, contrasting with Pit's dependence on Palutena to fly.​
Dark Pit's flight lasts for about 7 seconds. You can fire the weapon or Dark Pit Staff while flying, or cancel it using an aerial attack. Using the control for a Smash attack and Dark Pit will charge, engulfed in a purple aura, in that direction, damaging anyone in the path.​
Final Smash: Rain of Arrows
Dark Pit flies upward and holds his Silver Bow upward, shooting arrows upward and causing a small area around him to glow purple temporarily. Few seconds later, a rain of arrows comes down dealing a lot of damage over time to those in the area. It doesn't send any foes flying, but racks a massive amount of damage, allowing the player to finish off the foes.​
Upon activation, Dark Pit yells "Now is the time!"[/collapse]​
NORMAL ATTACKS
Much like how the Standard Special Move recreates Uprising's gameplay, so would the Normal A combo and running attack.​
[collapse="Normal attacks"]A combo:
Recreation of the melee combos from Uprising.​
Bow: Diagonal strike with right blade, then horizontal strike with the reverse gripped left blade, finishing with a V shaped attack with both blades. Total of 3 blows.​
Claws: Downwards diagonal strike from right to left with the right claw, then downwards diagonal strike from left to right with the left claw, followed by an upward kick, a similar move as the second blow and finally, a X shaped attack with both claws. Five attacks in total.​
Club: Horizontal strike from right to left, followed by a downwards diagonal from left to right. Total of 2 hits.​
Side A:
Bow: Short distance flying kick, similar to the one he gives to Pit after Pandora is defeated.​
Claws: Stabs with both claws.​
Club: Stabs with the club.​
Up A:
Bow: same as Pit.​
Claws: Two quick blows with each claw.​
Club: Upwards stab with the club.​
Down A:
Bow, claws and club: low kick. This move is unaffected by the weapon wielded.​
Running attack:
Bow: Spins the bow similar to Pit's Angel Ring, but horizontally instead of vertically. The attack would give multiple hits, with the last one launching the foe forward.

Claws: Two simultaneous horizontal strikes using both claws.

Club: Horizontal blow with the club.[/collapse]

SMASH ATTACKS
[collapse="Smash attacks"]Up Smash:
Bow: Same as Pit.

Claws: Performs three claw attacks in succession.

Club: Similar to Ike's up Smash: delivers an upward blow with the club.

Side Smash:
Bow: X slash with both blades.

Claws: Downward diagonal slash from right to left with right claw, following with an upward diagonal slash from left to right with the left claw.

Club: Similar to Ike's side Smash: holds the club high and smashes with it.

Down Smash:
Bow: Same as Pit.

Claws: Crouches at stabs with the claws on two different sides.

Club: Performs a low spinning move with the club.[/collapse]

AERIAL MOVES
[collapse="Aerial moves"]Neutral aerial:
Bow: Dual horizontal slash with each blade.​
Claws: X slash with both claws.​
Club: Horizontal spin attack with the club, similar to Ike's neutral aerial.​
Forward aerial:
Bow: Same as Pit.​
Claws: Two quick horizontal slashes with each claw.​
Club: Stabs with the club.​
Back aerial:
Bow and claws: Back kick (see Golden's moveset in the OP). Faster than normal bow attacks, but slower than claw attacks.​
Club: Backwards horizontal swing with the club.​
Down aerial:
Claws: Single downward attack with both claws. Is a Meteor Smash if it hits in the point where the two claws are in the same spot.​
Club: Stabs with the club downward being similar to Link's down aerial. Unlike Link's attack, it's a Meteor Smash and won't be hanging in the air if the move hits, instead continuing the fall towards the ground, like ZSS and Sonic's down aerials.​
Up aerial:
Claws: Stabs with both claws upward, launching the foe vertically.​
Club: Performs an upward blow, having a good horizontal area of attack.[/collapse]​
GRAB AND THROWS
All of those are the same as Pit when using the Silver Bow.​
[collapse="Grabs and throws"]Pummel:
Claws: While grabbing with his left hand, Dark Pit scratches the foe with his right claw.​
Club: Gives a blow with his knee.​
Up throw:
Claws: Throws the foe upward and stabs with his right claw, launching the foe upward.​
Club: Throws the foe upward, following with a strong club blow.​
Down throw:
Claws: Similar to Kirby's down throw, but instead of multiple kicks, Dark Pit stabs once with each claw and finishes by stabbing with both claws.​
Club: Throws the foe down and bashes with the club.​
Forward throw:
Claws: Pushes the foe and strikes with both claws.​
Club: Pushes the foe and, with the club in his free hand, stabs the foe.​
Backward throw:
Claws: Throws the foe to his back and stabs with his right claw.​
Club: Throws the foe to his back and delivers a backwards kick.[/collapse]​
OTHER ATTRIBUTES
Glide? Yes.​
Number of air jumps: same as Pit.​
Wall jump? No.​
Wall cling? No.​
Weight: Same as Pit when using the Silver Bow or Pandora Claws and slightly heavier when using the Ogre Club.​
TAUNTS
Up taunt:
Holds his weapon up (right claw only if claws are equipped) and says "This Pit is no pawn."​
Side taunt:
Crosses his arms (the equipped weapons disappear) and stretches his wings.​
Down taunt:
Doing a small animation with the weapon being used, Dark Pit says "Bring it on!"​
WIN POSES
Win pose 1: Shoots some arrows to the sky while flying before landing and saying "I was expecting a better fight!"​
(Vs. Pit, the quote is "I was expecting better from you, Pit!")​
Win pose 2: Stabs the club on the ground, holding it with his right hand, stretches his wings and utters "I was going easy on you!"​
Win pose 3: Spins his staff and points it to the camera, saying "Victory is mine!"​
And that's it for the moveset. Comments and other ideas are welcome.​
I still have to think on move damages and approximate KO damage, but that's not for today, as I've already spent much time thinking and writing this entire post.​

JOE!

Smash Hero
The dude is a recolor, unlike Luigi/Dark Samus/Etc. Next

As much as I like him, his chances of being a character other than a bonus costume are slim :/

Also, yes: Join MYM, 14 is open now! (click me sig)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Dark Pit's only chance of getting in is as a recolor of Pit.
His appearance is not different enough from Pit's, and he's just not iconic enough.
I give him about equal chance of getting in as something obscure like Pixel Mario.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Pixel Mario is just my generic, "technically possible, but not gonna happen" character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, let's just say that at this point anything could happen. That Sakurai guy is a bit of an unpredictable fellow.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Oh boy, if Golden and Diddy were head developers we would have Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Impa, and Anthony Higgs in the new Smash roster. Although to be fair, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit (as a color swap) were in the series already at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom