• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I can see hype comebacks in 1v1s coming in from Lv. 3 supers which give you a limited time to get in as many KOs as possible (such as Raiden's?) and similar stuff.

But yeah, I don't see this game's most spectacular moments being as hype and stunning to behold as Smash's have been.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Well yes, I guess I can see some people being amazed over a low-level super beating a big-level, but really what they've done in making the super the only way to kill someone is merely made it easier for casuals to win, as everyone has to do the same bloody thing. There's little variation in its delivery beyond which level you decide to do it at.

Now if they had an alternative method of victory, even a damn health bar or a hit threshold, that would help their case a lot more. I could see combos being very viable and hence more tech and hence a more exciting competitive component. Instead, all this focuses on is who builds the meter quick enough to kill (whereas every other fighting game that includes a super meter does not necessarily require it to win). Now with Smash it was all about racking up the damage percentage, but that opened up more ways to kill your opponent, and you already had moves such as down-A spikes which were clever ways of bypassing percentages.

The problem is they're shutting themselves off in a corner. These mechanics don't really encourage serious tournament-level play. I see this becoming a party game at best, but I would -LIKE- to be surprised by the developers actually thinking this through properly rather than just focusing on their roster.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm, in that re-guard it sounds like a poor man's version of Smash*. It'll be interesting now to see how it compares to other Smash-like fighters, and in particular off the top of my head, Rumble Arena. Any word on any extra features/modes?

*Hasn't played the beta yet due to not having his PS3 with him at the moment.

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Any word on any extra features/modes?
Nothing that's been released through main gaming media yet, no. I'm assuming that the game WILL have some alternative modes to play with, as anyone with half a brain can tell you Stock is the most obvious one to include. The designer of this game is Seth Killian, previously a PR guy at Capcom. I'd like to think that coming from a developer like Capcom, they have enough collective knowledge on fighting games to include different modes.

They just added this game to the MLG Pro Circuit Dallas event THIS upcoming weekend.
I'm honestly not surprised by that, Jem. This game was advertised at EVO 2012 because the event was sponsored by Sony, and some of the event participants are developers on it. If it's promoted at the biggest annual competitive fighting tournament, why not put it through its paces? Plenty of games have made their way onto the MLG Pro Circuit list and been taken down: Halo Reach, Call of Duty: BO, SSBB. I'm pretty sure MLG has Sony as one of its primary sponsors too, and previously Black Ops was taken down from the Pro Circuit because Sony stopped paying them to keep the title in the circuit. Now PASBR is a first-party title for Sony that has some competitive notion to it - of course Sony's going to fund them to put it up there! They'll take whatever advertising they can get.

In my opinion, what happens with it over the coming few months following its November release and what players can dig up on it will determine its tournament lifespan. If players can find elements that give it a deeper layer of strategy, then power to them. But as it stands with what we know so far, I'm doubtful it will last very long.

iLink

Smash Champion
Is there notation for this yet? Seems like a hassle to type out stuff like down triangle or up circle.

Maybe something like dS for down square and fC for forward circle. Jumping could be something like j.dS

A parrapa combo would look something like fC, C, S, dS, uS, j.C, j.S, j.S

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Is there notation for this yet? Seems like a hassle to type out stuff like down triangle or up circle.

Maybe something like dS for down square and fC for forward circle. Jumping could be something like j.dS

A parrapa combo would look something like fC, C, S, dS, uS, j.C, j.S, j.S
Does the game allow for arcade stick usage? Why not just use those terms?

iLink

Smash Champion
It does support arcade sticks but I don't see how that would change what you are actually pressing.

Might be easier to classify the buttons as ABC instead of STC.

:phone:

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
It does support arcade sticks but I don't see how that would change what you are actually pressing.

Might be easier to classify the buttons as ABC instead of STC.

:phone:
I asked because then you could just classify the buttons under the Light-Medium-Heavy buttons used for other fighters like Street Fighter and Marvel, etc.

I guess it doesn't really matter, because whoever's playing the game should know the Playstation controls as well as any other controller. Your terminology works well enough.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I can see hype comebacks in 1v1s coming in from Lv. 3 supers which give you a limited time to get in as many KOs as possible (such as Raiden's?) and similar stuff.

But yeah, I don't see this game's most spectacular moments being as hype and stunning to behold as Smash's have been.
From someone who has played the game, lv 3 is pointless in a 1v1. Some character's level 3s are instant kills so in a 1v1, you'd only get one kill. Level 1s make the most sense in that mode since they are the cheapest and you can combo into them. It's another flaw of the game that the mode changes the dynamic of the game too much and it is not consistent.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
[FONT=&quot]☯ I kind of figured there will be lvl1 spams. =P [FONT=&quot]★[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]☯ Also, quick question. Can you change controls? [FONT=&quot]★[/FONT][/FONT]

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
You can in the beta.

That tournament looked like lots of fun

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I really haven't been enjoying this game that much. In some cases it feels more static than Smash64 was, it's just not fluid movement/attack wise to me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I decided to give the game a couple of chances since there is a display of it at my work.

The whole kill mechanic feels really unnatural to me, and I just can't get into it.

Smash you feel like your killing them when you see them flying across the screen. This game they just disappear in puff of smoke, then they are back. I don't feel as if I really killed them. I don't get the same feeling as knocking them out of the screen

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
indeed.

I eve hear you can download them even before buying the game, so that's a plus.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
been playing it since midnight last night :D

sackboy is a ton of fun and has an amazing level 3 as well

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Epic fail for not having 1 on 1 online mode. I would just fail the game on that.
I'm pretty sure you can invite friends and do private matches. And to be fair, Brawl didn't have a one-on-one mode either.

Here is a Fat Princess combo I came up with half an hour ago. It's pretty easy and builds 50% meter. I plan on maining her and using good Cole and Big Daddy as secondaries.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
im surprised at the amount of bugs still in the game

opponents showing up as invisible, picking one character then having a completely different one being used in game, meters fading out of the screen during drakes level 3

wasnt this what beta was for?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
im surprised at the amount of bugs still in the game

opponents showing up as invisible, picking one character then having a completely different one being used in game, meters fading out of the screen during drakes level 3

wasnt this what beta was for?
So are there still these problems in the final game? Anything else?

Top Bottom