• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Jak and Daxter were confirmed so I'll give my prediction on their playstyle:

Ice Climbers came to my mind. Daxter gives Jak extra range on his normals and grabs. If Daxter falls from Jak, then Jak still put up a fight just w/o the extended range.

TL?

Smash Ace
Looks like another false "smash clone" that just uses smash's input system and platforming elements but completely misses what smash is about. What about the whole % system with dynamic knockback and DI making a very interesting combo system? What about ledges and recoveries and edge guarding? Teching and tech chases? Honestly this game just looks like digimon rumble arena 2 with sony characters.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Looks like another false "smash clone" that just uses smash's input system and platforming elements but completely misses what smash is about. What about the whole % system with dynamic knockback and DI making a very interesting combo system? What about ledges and recoveries and edge guarding? Teching and tech chases? Honestly this game just looks like digimon rumble arena 2 with sony characters.
NEVER COMPARE SUCH TRASH TO DIGIMoN RUMBLE ARENA 2

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Looks like another false "smash clone" that just uses smash's input system and platforming elements but completely misses what smash is about.
Seems to be the case so far. I hope it improves before its released.

I think they should change the name to something that's more catchy. I like "Title Fight" better right now.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
and now to answer the immortal question:

I think the most asked question is" why did they use the meter system, and where is it from?" well, the fighting system is based off of this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPRcEBL20zE&feature=related

the name of the game was Thrill Kill which was set to be released in 1998.if released, it would have been the first 4 player fighting game, but EA cancelled it. as you can see, the gameplay in this vid is the same battle system as PASBR- you do various attacks and combos to build a meter that allows you to perform brutal finishing Blows that kill the opponent. so now you know where the battle system is from.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just love how people think of it as a Smash clone, when Smash is not original in itself. People seem to forget Sega Saturn's Fighter Megamix game. I mean also, it's not like Smash was the first mash up in general. You have series like X-Men vs SF that in my opinion also lit a light bulb for Nintendo do make Smash.

In general, have other companies "copied" Nintendo? Sure, but Nintendo isn't innocent as well. For every time you cry about companies stealing from Nintendo, where you are when they do the same? You can't be like the Burger King and have it your way.

Pikawil

Smash Cadet
There is a difference though, and it lies in not in the concept but in the gameplay: all of 'em are crossovers fighters, sure, but Fighters Megamanix and X-Men vs. SF (and by proxy, the whole damn MvC series) are traditional fighters whereas SSB and this are very much not. And since SSB is the founding father of its sub-genre of fighting games...

TL?

Smash Ace
There is a difference though, and it lies in not in the concept but in the gameplay: all of 'em are crossovers fighters, sure, but Fighters Megamanix and X-Men vs. SF (and by proxy, the whole damn MvC series) are traditional fighters whereas SSB and this are very much not. And since SSB is the founding father of its sub-genre of fighting games...
Yes. This exactly.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So what? That still doesn't erase my point of everyone copies from everyone. Again, Nintendo fans think that they are the king of originality and think their company has never done anything wrong. It's just general hate towards Sony's direction for whatever reason. Last I recalled, Jump Super Stars, and Jump Ultimate Stars played in a similar fashion to Smash, and no one seemed to complain about that.

Also, I think we oughta sit and wait on what third party chars get in or not. Too early. For Brawl, we didn't even know Sonic and Snake were gonna show up till the late stages.

Pikawil

Smash Cadet
Last I recalled, Jump Super Stars, and Jump Ultimate Stars played in a similar fashion to Smash, and no one seemed to complain about that.
That's because JSS and JUS were published by Nintendo; obviously, the rip-off card was going to be invalid for those two games!

On a different note, here's an interesting preview by someone who appears to be well-versed in fighting games in general:

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale/previews/10445/1/

In particular, this excerpt interests me:

At the competitive level, items had to be banned from Smash due to them adding too much of a random factor to the game and creating unearned match turning opportunities. While talking to Paul Edwards, Battle Royale's lead combat designer, he talked at length about how the team tried to make items less flashy and more purposeful.

“Where our item system differs from 'Smash's is that we designed each of our items around a specific role within the combat system and it wasn't just a unique thing to showcase an IP...the gravity shield is a good example where you just want to be able to set up an opportunity for a super, or get a positional advantage without having to worry about blocking, dodging or rolling. So if that gravity shield is out, and that spear of destiny is out, and you've already got super, you don't need anymore AP. So you grab that gravity shield, run right into the middle of the combat ball, and just pop your super and kill everybody.”

From my own experience, I definitely felt that the items were useful but not at all overpowering. Again, due to the fact that only supers can net kills, simply grabbing an item and firing away won't get you a bunch of easy points. The result is that items end up limited to supporting roles rather than becoming a primary offensive threat, which is exactly how it should be.
So will we see real men use items in PASBR tournaments?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Pressing the square, triangle and circle buttons by themselves or with a directional input results in different special moves. This essentially represents two to three times the possible attacks available as compared to Smash. The added moves significantly expand your strategic options without making the game any more mechanically demanding.
This sort of bothers me

Smash has 21 moves minimum on a character, but this set-up allows.... a maximum of 30. I feel like someone's comparing it to Smash without knowing a lick about the game...

Then again, there could be many more options than people realized on this because they're scrubs when testing.

He also mentions that zoning and keep away aren't viable tactics in smash, and them being extremely powerful in this is... a good thing...

This thing is going to be slow paced. As slow as ****. Slower than Brawl considerably. At least from this preview, it looks like...

That, or it could be a person that doesn't really get platform fighters throwing out completely incorrect information.

Either or, really.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That's because JSS and JUS were published by Nintendo; obviously, the rip-off card was going to be invalid for those two games!
Does it really matter if it was published by Nintendo? It would bring more merit if the games were produced by the same company. Nintendo published Xenoblade, but that doesn't mean it engineered that RPG formula. Monolith Soft had producing it for years.

Pikawil

Smash Cadet
Yes, it does matter because it means that Nintendo had some level of involvement, even if barely existant!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did all playstation characters start AFTER I stopped getting Sony systems or anything, because I don't recognize anyone

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Did all playstation characters start AFTER I stopped getting Sony systems or anything, because I don't recognize anyone
***** you better have bought PaRappa the Rapper in the PlayStation 1 era.
I just love how people think of it as a Smash clone, when Smash is not original in itself. People seem to forget Sega Saturn's Fighter Megamix game. I mean also, it's not like Smash was the first mash up in general. You have series like X-Men vs SF that in my opinion also lit a light bulb for Nintendo do make Smash.

In general, have other companies "copied" Nintendo? Sure, but Nintendo isn't innocent as well. For every time you cry about companies stealing from Nintendo, where you are when they do the same? You can't be like the Burger King and have it your way.
It's still a Smash clone though. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing. In fact, it might even be a good thing. Remember, Jump Super Stars AND Jump Ultrastars were both also labeled as Smash clones, and that wasn't necessarily a bad thing either.

It's not like we're saying they're rip-offs. It only shows that they're taking the mascot fighter genre seriously, not just as a gimmicky party game type game.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
***** you better have bought PaRappa the Rapper in the PlayStation 1 era.
It's still a Smash clone though. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing. In fact, it might even be a good thing. Remember, Jump Super Stars AND Jump Ultrastars were both also labeled as Smash clones, and that wasn't necessarily a bad thing either.

It's not like we're saying they're rip-offs. It only shows that they're taking the mascot fighter genre seriously, not just as a gimmicky party game type game.
Dude, i love the Jump Super Stars games. Wish they could get released outside japan. And also this Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale looks interesting, we shouldn't judge it just because of it's similarities to Smash. I mean look at the other games Sony took Nintendo's concepts from, and were able to make games that are actually really good.

LittlebigPlanet = Super Mario Bros.
Modnation Racers = Mario Kart.
And uh... Playstation Move = Wii... controls for both of them suck anyway. o.O

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
If this game is a rip off of Smash then by god Mortal Kombat is a rip off of Street Fighter or whoever invented the fighting game genre, Battlefield is a rip off of CoD, Amnesia is a rip off of resident evil or silent hill or whoever came up with the horror genre and so forth

I don't see why a rip off is a bad thing I mean rip offs can only be bound to bring improvement to an idea depending on the developer right?
:phone:

Ove

Smash Journeyman
People seriously need to calm down regarding the rip-off dilemma. It is not the end of the world and it has happened before in many different genres.

Of course it is an obvious copycat, but who cares? I am glad we are getting another smash. Sometimes it is better to have more alternatives. Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing is almost identical to the Mario Kart concept, but at least I enjoyed the game nontheless. It contributed with new courses, new characters and overall a new experience. Sure, it was not even half as good as the Mario Kart games, but it was still a good game.

This particular game is a day one buy for me. Smash is my favourite game of all time, meaning a game based on that formula must be good.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
after doing analysis and studies of all of the Super attacks in this game from the videos, I have created a ranked list showcasing the best Supers to the worst(so far). note that there are some supers that may be even better then I consider them since we don't know the complete combo potential, so this is a WIP.

Level 1 supers:

thies supers are designed for hitting single targets, and as such come out quick for a free kill. the weakness is that some are very easy to avoid with right timing.

1.Kratos-he takes a forward swing with the Blade of Olympus, killing all in front of him. very quick, great priority, magnificent range which can kill all on the screen with good timing. arguably Kratos' best super.

2.Fat princess- seeing a cake in front of her, she takes a charge ahead.according to the GT heads, this was the fastest Lv.1 to dte, and FP's best super overrall. only weakness is it doesn't kill multiple targets as easy as Kratos.

3.Parappa-he does a basic flip kick. has a huge hitting range from above ironically,but forwardly wil lonly hit one person. might be good as an anti-air.

4. Mael Raedic-aiming a reticule at the screen, he locks on and fires a homing rocket that kills a target. might be unblockable as well. only weakness is it's the slowest Lv. 1, so it's not so useful at close range.

5. sweet Tooth-he sticks a grenade on someone, then Sparta Kicks them into a wall, making them explode. as awesome as it is,it's range is s***.

Unknown. Sly Cooper
-his Lv. 1has him call out Murrary, who does a belly flop.I have yet to see any vids of this however, so sadly I don't know it's effectiveness and can't rank it just yet.

level 2 Supers
:

these are designed as more powerful Lv.1s, usually covering the weakness of the predecessor. for example, Kratos' Lv.1 hits straight ahead,whereas his Lv.2 works better as an Anti-air. Parappa is the reverse of this.

1.Fat Princess- she leaps on a Giant Chicken and marches over the feild. this super may be invincible, or just have high priority over other Supers. very deadly.

2.Sweet Tooth-he launches an aniti-air rocket. the missile is slow,but kills everyone in the blast range. you can apparently also tilt the direction of the rocket, too. can also be comboed, since I saw someone go from a Dthrow OTG into Lv 2.

3.Sly Cooper-similar to Diddy's FS, he uses a Jetpack from the Clockwerk boss fight and rains rockets down on everyone below. can get tons of kills.....but only lasts 3-5 seconds,sadly.

4.Parappa-he hops on his skateboard, killing all in his path. easy to perform with Boombox setups. is fast,but covers little range compared to FP's.

5.Raedic-he fires an energy shot across the screen. works great at close and long range, and can counter other supers.oly weakness is it's easy to dodge.

6.Kratos-he stabs his sword in the ground,making a tornado. only useful as an AA, really.

Level 3 Supers

these are the big guns. some supershave priority over others-Krato's lv.1 beats Parappa's lv.2,FP's Lv.1 is beaten by Raedic's Lv.2,etc- with these though,they just go f*** that and nullify all other meters until they end. they require much strategy to use,however.

1.Parappa-the only character who has a Lv.3 that kills 100% of the time. the move covers the entire screen and is unblockable. only weakness is you only get a single kill each and then it ends,so no benefits from negated supers are here.however,with Boombox setups,he builds his meter faster then anyone in the game, so he can be an absolute monster with the right setups hee.best used for the finishing blow.

2.Sly-a buffed version of Raedic's, here he also gains controlof the caamera, giving him total f***up potential here on the foes.

3.Sweet Tooth-Landmaster on crack. ST turns into the SweetBot, and starts killing everyone with a railgun, missiles,and a stomp. can get tons of kills.

4.Mael Raedic-he files off screen and spams gunfire. faster then Sly's but lacks the absolute control of his.

5.Fat princess-come my minions! she calls the elves to atack the entire feild.it is slow, however, so it can be avoided.

6.Kratos-a nerfed Sweet Tooth.Turning into god form,he attacks the feild, but compared to his Lv.1 it'skinda eh.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Sly's level 3 super seems to be better than Parappa's. I have not seen so much of the two, really, but I think you can do more kills with Sly, making it at least a little better. To me, his level 3 was rather OP.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
paul Gale has a new update!

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/04/27/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-formerly-title-fight-is-officially-confirmed-on-paul-gale-network-video-footage-screenshots-logo-and-3rd-party-character-info-within/

this quote goes deeperinto explaining all the other modes:
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) today announced the release of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, available for PlayStation 3 (PS3). Developed by SuperBot Entertainment, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is the ultimate four-player brawler, influenced by some of the greatest PlayStation themes and characters of all time. Spanning the entire PlayStation universe, players will select and control the likes of iconic characters such as Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Parappa, Fat Princess, Colonel Radec, and Sly Cooper among others. Additionally, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will include a line-up of special characters from some of the game industry’s top third party developers and publishers. With a host of playable characters, special attacks, themed stages, and mash up music, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale pits players in a deep fighting game that draws inspiration throughout the colorful PlayStation universe.

“PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale delivers a veritable encyclopedia of PlayStation’s rich gaming history,” said Guy Longworth, Senior Vice President of Marketing, SCEA. “This game is a celebration for fans of PlayStation and we are excited to deliver the most comprehensive brawler available.”

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale gives players access to a wide variety of PlayStation characters and ties in the excitement of a four player, full screen brawler. Players can fight in a variety of configurations, including versus matches for four, team battles, special practice modes, and team up with friends to take on players online. Online battles will deliver a new set of challenges, including Tournament mode, Special Event Battle, and Custom Matches. In Tournament, players are matched online to gain experience and special awards. Special Event Battles allow SuperBot to set match parameters daily, and players earn experience points towards an overall leaderboard based on performance. Players can also arrange customized matches with their own rules.

Environments and music are drawn from the rich and varied history of PlayStation titles, then thrown together in unique mash ups that showcase each property in a new setting. The mash up elements will introduce a secondary IP to an existing theme, allowing situations where characters and environments from completely different PlayStation IP can interact during a match. The in-game music, composed by John King of the Dust Brothers, will also stay true to the mash up theme by incorporating a mix of various IP soundtracks throughout.

In addition to a rich and deep online multiplayer experience, players can engage in several single player modes including Combat Trials and Arcade mode. In Combat Trials, players not only learn the basics of the game but perfect their skills through hundreds of unique challenges. Additionally players can play through a fixed level progression with prizes in Arcade mode.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale has not yet been rated. For more information about the title, please visit www.PlayStationAllStarsBattleRoyale.com.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Yeah, the title is the only thing I don't like. It's not only too long, the syllables don't roll around your tongue that well.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I don't know about you guys, but if I do get this I'm gonna ask my friends if they want to play Battle Royale. The look of confusion, excitement and annoyance the first time around will be priceless.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Microsoft is really pissed about this because they were developing one of their own games like this, waiting for E3 to showcase it as a big surprise and Sony got to break the news before 'em. I have insider info on it, here's a screenshot:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Wouldnt a fighter like that on the 360 just devolve to a bunch of people shooting each other with guns instead of any actual hand to hand combat? :phone:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Microsoft is really pissed about this because they were developing one of their own games like this, waiting for E3 to showcase it as a big surprise and Sony got to break the news before 'em. I have insider info on it, here's a screenshot:

The Arbiter will be the secret unlockable character, and the sequel will add Marcus Fenix.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Wouldnt a fighter like that on the 360 just devolve to a bunch of people shooting each other with guns instead of any actual hand to hand combat? :phone:
It's just a joke, having fun w/ the non existence of any iconic first party licenses on MS's part. Unless you are kidding too and I missed it ;)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
It's just a joke, having fun w/ the non existence of any iconic first party licenses on MS's part. Unless you are kidding too and I missed it ;)
Yeah I realized you were kidding, but I was curious as to how an M$ fighter would work given they're all a bunch of steroid injected me with guns :phone:

Top Bottom