• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Which is why it's fairly baffling to think why Sony would include 3G.

4G is becoming an industry standard, for one, and only a matter of time before it sweeps the nation if it hasn't yet.

They did this to "Upgrade" the new iteration to 4G, I bet. Make their money now while they still can.
I agree, though not completely. I bought a 3G phone, despite 4G. The main reason is i'm around Wifi24/7 so I'll hardly ever use it, and when I would, I'd never need the "faster speed".

Of course in time, better technology will replace 3G completely, I'm just throwing that out there. There are also those weird variations, like iPhone 4S has that weird 3G+ crap.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I think those are just business words to make them sound better than they are

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The problem about the Vita is that it is not worth the heavy price tag it has. Sure it might be worth it later, but it is not pre–order worthy.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
So... any good things you like about the Vita? Lol.

Past few pages are all: "ARGH! VITA!"
Um wellll...

Call of Duty Vita confirmed for Fall release

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ps-vita-sony/726995

3:50
"Call of Duty will come out in the fall for the Vita?"
"Yeah"
Hooray?

And the PSV (3G model) has already gotten a price drop:

http://andriasang.com/con00o/vita_cash_back/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Earlier this week, Amazon Japan started a campaign which gave a ¥2000 discount to those who bought a PlayStation Vita 3G model along with at least one game. The campaign started on February 15 and will run through March 31.

While Amazon and other retailers often run such bundle campaigns, it turns out that this may actually be an official Sony campaign. Multiple smaller retailers have reported that Sony has given them instructions to begin the same campaign on the 23rd.

It's unclear if Sony will give publicity to the campaign, with an official name and campaign website, or if the campaign will be handled by retailers themselves. We should find out next week when the campaign expands to all retailers.

It's worth noting that the campaign only applies to the 3G model. Amazon is still offering this as the first run limited edition, which includes a pre-paid 3G usage card. The system's MSRP is ¥29,980, but Amazon discounts it to ¥26,707. (Amazon offers similar discounts on most systems, although the percentage varies.)
So yeah, Sony is probably in a panic mode and wants to clear out the 3G models in Japan cause the PSV is doing pretty ****ty over there. If this is an official Sony campaign, then this means that the PSV got a $25 price drop in 3 months. (Nintendo didn't do it till 6 months IIRC.)

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
According to some folks getting on PSN, Vita is not compatible with all PSN PSP games.

Not yet, at least. I don't think they'd let that go.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Basically, if you live in NA (like the majority of us) and you buy a PSV...you gotta pay Sony again to download your old PSP games. (But not all of them are available on the PSN.)

No discount either, remember that.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's easy to solve that problem, imo.

Save your PSP and play your PSP games on that.

I did that when I got my PS3 - saved my PS2 to I ran into no problems playing any of my games.

But I understand some people don't have the space or money to do something like that. :Solid:

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
It's easy to solve that problem, imo.

Save your PSP and play your PSP games on that.

I did that when I got my PS3 - saved my PS2 to I ran into no problems playing any of my games.

But I understand some people don't have the space or money to do something like that. :Solid:
Or you know, Sony could stop being a bunch of *******s and let NA PSV owners use the PSP to PSV conversion system.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Keeping the PSP is a good solution. But if Sony wants the Vita so sell better when it releases in US (since its not really doing that well in Japan), then it would have been best to allow the US to be able to download PSP games at a discounted price as well. Since they didn't, this combined with high memory card prices just gives people more reasons to not buy it. I've never understood why Sony has to make something incredibly overpriced. Have they learned nothing from the PS3?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Keeping the PSP is a good solution. But if Sony wants the Vita so sell better when it releases in US (since its not really doing that well in Japan), then it would have been best to allow the US to be able to download PSP games at a discounted price as well. Since they didn't, this combined with high memory card prices just gives people more reasons to not buy it. I've never understood why Sony has to make something incredibly overpriced. Have they learned nothing from the PS3?
The problem is not being overpriced, it's that they are using technology that costs too much. They are already losing money selling per Vita, while the 3DS was originally making a 100 dollars per unit sold.

Were they to release the Vita two years later, then the price would be lower, and they wouldn't be losing as much money per unit. Same mistake they made with the PSP and PS3.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah. Even though it is impressive to see what the PSVita is capable of, I think Sony were feeling pressure from Nintendo. They saw that the PSP was obsolete with the release of the 3DS, so I guess they wanted to release PSVita now in order to be a competitor in the handheld department.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Why are they even trying in the handheld market? The PSP clearly lost to the DS and it's pretty well known by this point that Nintendo will forever dominate the handheld market, even if iOS apps are competing against them as well. It's like they have a giant monopoly over the handheld market and Sony for some reason is trying way too hard to be in it and in the long run its costing them too much money to even be viable, especially with their amazing business practices such as creating a specific to console memory card that's more expensive than a normal SD card and taking off the PSP on PSV discount for US customers.

I mean really if Sony at least wanted better sales then they should've reduced the price on the PSV by a tenfold. The entire reason I got a 3DS over a PSV was because of the price tag. Maybe if it was like 100-200$ cheaper in total, I would've saved my money up for a PSV instead of a 3DS

:phone:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I slightly agree with the costing part, but not exactly the whole thing. It's pretty obvious that they're doing their best for the portable console. We're almost at the 8th generation of gaming, So I assume they would do something in order to make it better and less complex.

I certainly love the new gameing consoles that are coming up real soon and I really want to wait for the future of gaming to arise.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wonder how much more cheaper the Vita would have been if they took out those gimmicky touch controls on the back. I feel like you could easily shave off 30-50 dollars.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'll take over. There are more games coming up and I found them as sooner than I expected.

I'll update the op later and add in some new games and extras that I plan on doing.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I mean really if Sony at least wanted better sales then they should've reduced the price on the PSV by a tenfold. The entire reason I got a 3DS over a PSV was because of the price tag. Maybe if it was like 100-200$ cheaper in total, I would've saved my money up for a PSV instead of a 3DS:phone:
There is no way Sony can reduce the price tenfold, as they are already at a loss of profit for selling it for the price it is. It would have been way better if Sony tried to push off-shores release before or during the holiday season, which could have helped Sony sell devices at a much higher rate off-shores.

Now that the season is over, its gonna be quite difficult for Vita to kick off. I'm not gonna get a Vita myself, but only because the selection of games doesn't impress me all too much.

Also consider the fact that there have been no talks of a Monster Hunter game on Vita as of yet is also a huge concern. (3G and 4 are already out or announced for the 3DS. If MH was announced for the Vita, then it would have helped Japan sales immensely.)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I still think that releasing the PSV in one region instead of multiple ones was a ******** decision/choice. I guess their line of thinking was that the PSP sold the best in Japan (The DS still outsold it in every region.) and not in NA so they'd have better luck launching over there. (Despite last year's environmental problems.)

The PSV is also out tomorrow in NA btw.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Sony's Rohde: proprietary Vita cards 'completely necessary' to combat piracy

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/21/sonys-rohde-proprietary-vita-cards-completely-necessary-to-c/

"We needed to have something that would combat piracy from day one, and that's why the cards that you can purchase for the games are in their own proprietary format. And these days, so many people say the word 'proprietary' is a bad word, but it's something that we felt was completely necessary to make sure that people could not pirate these games. I mean, it's a custom security solution on each one of these cartridges. That is something that we are confident will protect us from piracy for the long term."
lolok Sony.

Even tho the DS did well in every region and only a small percentage of DS owners pirated games. >.>

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Still though. A small percent can cost a company money. And in Sony's case, it is money that they desperately need to cling on to as much as possible.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Can the PSV already fail already? I swear I dunno why but I've been wanting to see Sony pull it out and consider it a failure or something

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Can the PSV already fail already? I swear I dunno why but I've been wanting to see Sony pull it out and consider it a failure or something

I don't think Sony would want to give up on the Vita that quickly. I'm interested in seeing the number of sales in the US, though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think too many people are expecting this to sale as much as the 3DS, when I don't think that's the goal. I remember reading an interview a long time before it came out, saying their intention was not to compete with the 3DS. Almost as if they knew it wouldn't sell as well as it. Obviously it would be nice to sell more, but here is a direct quote from Jack Tretton...

"Quite frankly, it scares me if people think that the Japanese launch is struggling. The fact is they sold 500,000 units in three weeks... I would be pleased if we did 500,000 units in the first three weeks here in the United States. I think that's a real healthy number for a new platform launch."

Also, that media report humored me. PS2 outselling 360 in Japan xD. Though I coulda sworn Microsoft pulled the plug in Japan.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Sony would want to give up on the Vita that quickly. I'm interested in seeing the number of sales in the US, though.
I know they wouldn't, but I seriously want to see Sony pull the handheld out and announce that it failed. I mean for being like twice the price of a PS3 now, and clearly not worth the money either way, I want to see the thing fail unless they reduce the price on it

And how could they not want to compete with the 3DS if they're selling in the same market as them?

Top Bottom