• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playstation Vita/VitaTV

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
What is going on. I'm seeing more disatisfaction on the Internet and more praises in so many GameStop stores.

Lol, this is crazy.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
What is going on. I'm seeing more disatisfaction on the Internet and more praises in so many GameStop stores.
Sony products.

Checks cleared for Gamestop and are told to say positive things, I'm betting. :awesome:

We need customer confessions.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I think too many people are expecting this to sale as much as the 3DS, when I don't think that's the goal. I remember reading an interview a long time before it came out, saying their intention was not to compete with the 3DS. Almost as if they knew it wouldn't sell as well as it. Obviously it would be nice to sell more, but here is a direct quote from Jack Tretton...

"Quite frankly, it scares me if people think that the Japanese launch is struggling. The fact is they sold 500,000 units in three weeks... I would be pleased if we did 500,000 units in the first three weeks here in the United States. I think that's a real healthy number for a new platform launch."

Also, that media report humored me. PS2 outselling 360 in Japan xD. Though I coulda sworn Microsoft pulled the plug in Japan.
They should, it's a giant waste of time, money and energy.

I know they wouldn't, but I seriously want to see Sony pull the handheld out and announce that it failed. I mean for being like twice the price of a PS3 now, and clearly not worth the money either way, I want to see the thing fail unless they reduce the price on it

And how could they not want to compete with the 3DS if they're selling in the same market as them?

:phone:
iOS.

Lol, this is crazy.
Gamestop sucks.

[I do really support a price deduction...]

:[
I expect one before the end of this year.

And 12,000th post!!! :awesome:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Using your 12,000th post to talk about something as disappointing as the Vita, I'm sorry, F8AL

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Using your 12,000th post to talk about something as disappointing as the Vita, I'm sorry, F8AL
Don't get me wrong, I don't really like the PSV. But I'll still continue to rely new announcements/news/stuff to this thread as I enjoy doing so.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I touched one for the first time today! It's beautiful hardware, and I love the feel of the nubs. Glad they recognized their importance. Considered how advanced it is, the software ui is underwhelming. What I loved so much about the PSP was the first time I turned it on, the cross menu bar activated and swirled around and I was convinced I was holding a toy from the future. The Vita runs some hideous 3D android app.

I almost bought it when I saw Lumines though. I had no idea Lumines was a launch title. I didn't know the company was even making more games. Ohhhhh my god I have to check reviews. If it's good, I might just get a Vita.

Lumines + Wipeout is definitely sufficient enough software

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
When I played psp, I couldn't get enough of loco roco, echochrome, and patapon.

They should be having all three of these games on the vita.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
They should, it's a giant waste of time, money and energy.

iOS.

Gamestop sucks.

I expect one before the end of this year.

And 12,000th post!!! :awesome:
But by selling in the same market as the 3DS they're creating competition either way, and it's not like the reason people aren't buying the PSV is because they have an iPhone or something. More than half of the games on iOS are just time wasters like Angry Birds and I doubt that if someone had an iPhone, they'd trade up a PSV because they already have a phone to play with. Chances are that the people who have iOS are casuals who probably wouldn't have bought a PSV in the first place

Besides we all know who's the one taking away all of the PSV's sales with its cheap hardware and amazing software selection

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This just made me think of something. A 32GB Ipod Touch is 300 dollars. I figure if people were more informed, they'd consider picking up a Vita over that.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
But by selling in the same market as the 3DS they're creating competition either way, and it's not like the reason people aren't buying the PSV is because they have an iPhone or something. More than half of the games on iOS are just time wasters like Angry Birds and I doubt that if someone had an iPhone, they'd trade up a PSV because they already have a phone to play with. Chances are that the people who have iOS are casuals who probably wouldn't have bought a PSV in the first place

Besides we all know who's the one taking away all of the PSV's sales with its cheap hardware and amazing software selection

What makes you say that? There are some "hardcore" titles on iOS. (i.e. Infinity Blade etc.)

People these days would rather buy 99 cent games than a $50 PSV game. Maybe.

Nah, that just tells me that ipods are horribly overpriced.
A lot of things in life are overpriced, dealwithit.jpg

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I deal with it by not buying an ipod. There are always cheaper options. I should get back on subject though. If they just reduced the memory card prices, I think that the Vita would sell better.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I deal with it by not buying an ipod. There are always cheaper options. I should get back on subject though. If they just reduced the memory card prices, I think that the Vita would sell better.
They're planning on introducing bigger memory cards in the future. So yeah, a 64 GB one will prolly cost you $200 by Sony's standards. :glare:

And some guy at Sony said that $250 was the lowest which they could price the PSV. LIAR!!!

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
They're planning on introducing bigger memory cards in the future. So yeah, a 64 GB one will prolly cost you $200 by Sony's standards. :glare:

And some guy at Sony said that $250 was the lowest which they could price the PSV. LIAR!!!
64 gb for 200 dollars, that would be hilarious.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
64 gb for 200 dollars, that would be hilarious.
Well I said that cause the 32 GB one is $99.99

And you thought that Microsoft was bad with their 360 HDDs! (Well at least you can buy and use unofficial/third party 360 HDDs.)

Sony will prolly block those out with firmware updates, like *******s.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
What makes you say that? There are some "hardcore" titles on iOS. (i.e. Infinity Blade etc.)

People these days would rather buy 99 cent games than a $50 PSV game. Maybe.

A lot of things in life are overpriced, dealwithit.jpg
Yeah too bad they're so obscure that those hardcore titles go by unnoticed behind the mass praise of a game that rips off another flash game online except with stupid birds.

And why would I buy an iPhone just for the games? I got an iPhone because it happened to be the most convenient way to have a decent MP3 player with working Internet, the ability to text and make calls and then be able to play games as a time waster. Just because I have an iPhone, it doesn't mean that I'm not buying 3DS games anymore because I could play something like Angry Birds on my phone now. The amount of games with real content on the 3DS heavily outweigh the content of iOS games and are well worth the price anyways most of the time. The same applies to the PSV, even if the hardware is terribly overpriced

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, but you can't argue that Nintendo is feeling the pressure from iOS. iOS has taken a nice chunk out of the handheld market from Nintendo over the past few years.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I would have to disagree. With all of these good games coming out recently for the 3DS as well as console sales, I would have to say that Nintendo is quite comfortable with their stance on the handheld market.

Sure, they might not attract the casual group of people who play games on their phone, but at least they're getting a good following.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The 3DS has definitely been on a faster pace compared to the DS in terms of sales. However, I would still say sales could be so much more if casuals didn't have ios or android to look too. When they would want casual gaming on the go, they would have no choice, but to buy a 3DS or Vita.

The decision to put ios and android in the portable gaming market, means you inflate the number of customers, which also happen to favor the two I mentioned. So if you're looking at a pie chart with say 10 people between Sony and Nintendo...then toss in 30 people who are all ios or android...well you can see how the chart will look like.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The thing is, the iOS market is a competitor, regardless how you look at it. Indirect, but a competitor nonetheless.

It only grows in popularity since games like Sonic CD, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Dungeon Defenders are available to it. Plus the slew of $.99 games. And as the devices grow in tech, so will the games available to them. I have no doubt in less than a year we'll be seeing games that could rival that of today's consoles (Although, with games so short asura's wrath for example today's games are pretty balls). iOS is growing.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
The thing is, the iOS market is a competitor, regardless how you look at it. Indirect, but a competitor nonetheless.

It only grows in popularity since games like Sonic CD, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Dungeon Defenders are available to it. Plus the slew of $.99 games. And as the devices grow in tech, so will the games available to them. I have no doubt in less than a year we'll be seeing games that could rival that of today's consoles (Although, with games so short asura's wrath for example today's games are pretty balls). iOS is growing.
Not all games are as short as asura's wrath. I still see what you're saying though.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It was an example. And it's a clear indication of an attitude developers have, really.

And besides, I can name off a few other games that came out in only the last few months that were a disappointment length-wise. I'm sure you can do the same, too. It's a trend that doesn't really help move the industry forward.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Gamers can opt to use a ios or android for emulators. I mean, I have SNES and GBA games on my android device. My first gen Ipod touch could also run FF Tactics on PS as well. As these phones get more powerful, I don't think we'll see PS2 games at any point, but performance will improve.

Just some food for thought.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I would have to disagree. With all of these good games coming out recently for the 3DS as well as console sales, I would have to say that Nintendo is quite comfortable with their stance on the handheld market.

Sure, they might not attract the casual group of people who play games on their phone, but at least they're getting a good following.
Nintendo isn't dominating the overall handheld market as much like they used to. They're feeling the sweat from iOS.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's the Vita's launch titles?

Edit: I just checked them out.

I am definitely not a Sony fan

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
It really should've been on them to read the fine print to begin with, but seriously, which of us all actually do that? When we get an update on PSN, do we actually read the new agreement before we agree to it? Hell, I can't even understand half of the **** they write on the agreement, and I'm not gonna hire a lawyer every month just so I can update my PSN account that Sony FORCES me to do, even though all I do is watch Hulu and Netflix on it, so I don't actually give a **** for all the new features.

I mean really, why would Sony do this? I'm really starting to give up on both Sony AND M$ this gen, and now especially sine the Vita came out. I don't know why they're so intent on screwing all their US consumers with all their crappy policies and **** business practices. Why would they make it look like the first month of the 3G service and the game it comes with is free when you end up paying for it all anyways just because there's tiny little text near the bottom I wouldn't be able to read without my glasses that says that you gotta end up paying anyways? And even the way they word the fact that you still gotta pay just shows how misleading they are.

Sony has now seriously lost my trust with the Vita this gen. I trusted Sony until they started to release the PSV. Their initial talk about the handheld really had me interested and peaked when it was unveiled at E3. Then i just started to want it less and less and less when I started hearing about all the stupid crap they were doing such as that dedicated memory card thing and how only the Japanese would be able to get discounts on PSP games off the PSN store that should've been free to begin with if you already owned the previous version of the game.

I really don't know what Sony is thinking, and I really hope they realize how terrible they are by their sales. It seriously can't be considered a success when the 3DS is killing the Vita by like 90k sales per week

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Taking advantage of how the general public doesn't read the fine print.

Making it seem like its our fault when we don't have the time for that kind of stuff.

I mean, if I lived for an eternity, sure, I'd smarten myself to read it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
As far as the 3G criticism goes...why are you buying the 3G model if you only want 3G for one month? It sort of works out, given you just pay the first month, but get second month free. But still...everything else reeks. I thought Sony did a good job after the PSN outage of rewarding their customers, but since then, it's been a slippery slope.

I wouldn't call myself a Sony or Nintendo fanboy, given those are the two consoles I've played in the last 3 gens, and as much as I love Sony's games, I might have to reconsider PS4 if this **** keeps up, let alone another PS3 game.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
As far as the 3G criticism goes...why are you buying the 3G model if you only want 3G for one month? It sort of works out, given you just pay the first month, but get second month free. But still...everything else reeks. I thought Sony did a good job after the PSN outage of rewarding their customers, but since then, it's been a slippery slope.

I wouldn't call myself a Sony or Nintendo fanboy, given those are the two consoles I've played in the last 3 gens, and as much as I love Sony's games, I might have to reconsider PS4 if this **** keeps up, let alone another PS3 game.
They didn't "reward" their customers, they "compensated" them for that ****up.

Also, more bad news about the PSV :rolleyes: :

No 3G Support for Mortal Kombat Vita

Ed Boon tells us that handheld fighter will be WiFi only for online play.

Bad news for everyone out there who was hoping to take their online Mortal Kombat experience out into the wild, as the game's creative director Ed Boon told us at a Vita event last Friday in Toronto that the game will not support 3G functionality for online play.
This doesn't look good for the future of 3G Vita. =/

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
What got me interested is how most people aren't even going to activate the 3G and miss out on the free game. What a fine waste of money.

As for the legal talk of the service agreements, they are actually fairly easy to read. Its just that they take way too long to do so, since you have to read them slowly to fully comprehend them.

Also, this thread should just be renamed "The Roasting of PSVita," since that's all we ever do here. lol

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Roasting implies we are making satire on a very successful person/thing.

Vita has yet to prove itself successful, but I'm not counting it out, yet. I would call it more an unplanned comedy routine.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Edit: We're supposed to read the fine print, but this is a **** move on Sony's Part.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/02/23/playstation-conversation-vita-buyers-remorse
You know what's ****ty? I work in retail electronics and had no idea of this. Sony sent all kinds of info for the PSV release but failed to mention anything about terms and conditions. They literally didnt give us fine print. On the plus side, due in large part to the fact that they did almost no advertising whatsoever, most people didnt even know the PSV existed when it launched so I didnt really sell many of the 3G versions but this is honestly completely ****ed up. The fine print is IN the box, which means the sticker on front is a full on lie.

Also, as someone who works in retail, I can honestly say the PSV is going to do extremely poorly. As a whole the entire Wifi/3G versions was an awful idea. AT&T 3G is pretty universally hated and the fact that you have to pay monthly to get almost no data per month is a terrible deal. People wont be paying $300 for that device, it just wont be happening. I expect the 3G version to go the way of the PSP Go. The WiFi PSV on the other hand is a good, if slightly overdone and overpiced device. Sony really does seem to ignore Nintendo's proof that a more dedicated gaming handheld can succeed and is trying way too hard to make they're devices a do everything multimedia console. But they stand to lose customers for that because I already have a smartphone that does everything the PSV does other than gaming, and it does it better. That said, the PSV is actually a wonderful gaming device, but sony really seems to be pushing it out as almost a tablet, and honestly i dont think it's helping it.

But I think the biggest mistake on sony's part was missing a Black Friday or Christmas launch. I know that's a lot harder to control than other things with the launch but it should have been first priority. Sony is at a huge deficit for missing Christmas, especially since it meant Nintendo had the only handheld at the time. I dont even remember the numbers exactly for the november/december months but just for the 2 weeks before christmas we sold roughly 200 3DS's. 200! And nintendo was on it, our counts dropped into single digits and they restocked us with multiple boxes worth of 3DS's. Sony should have been the same way. The PSV should have been on the shelves. Christmas is huge because it's the time when parents buy **** for their kids. This seems obvious but understand that with Christmas passed, any kid who wants a PSV probably isnt getting one(with the exception of a few, the spoiled ****s) Most parents arent going to randomly drop $300+ Dollars(WiFi, game, memory card before anyone jumps on me) on any given day, unless that day happens to be a few weeks before christmas. There's also the fact that a majority of those kids got a DS for christmas. It's a much harder sell to convince a parent to buy a PSV when they already bought a 3DS for their child.

so yeah, my .02 dollars on the PSV as someone from the front lines.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
PS Plus free Minis don't work on Vita, Sony is on the case

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/24/ps-plus-free-minis-dont-work-on-vita-sony-is-on-the-case/

PlayStation Plus members are receiving error codes when trying to play their free, downloadable Minis on the Vita, according to a thread on the Vita discussion forum. Sony is focused on fixing this. "We are aware of the issue, and will resolve it as quickly as possible," a Sony spokesperson told Edge.
Yoshida: No UMD Passport program in the west because of pricing, demand

The reason for the PlayStation Vita UMD Passport program's absence in the west boils down to pricing and demand, according to Sony senior VP Shuhei Yoshida.

Furthermore, digital PSP releases in the west are available for "a really reasonable price." He mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics as an example, which is a $10 download in the US. Yoshida states that PSP games are much more expensive in Japan, so paying between $5 and $10 for a digital copy in addition to the UMD is a better value. "But when the games are already sold at a lower price in the U.S.," he said, "we see less value in introducing that kind of system."
Tretton hoping for half-million PS Vita sales in first three weeks of US launch

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/23/tretton-hoping-for-half-million-ps-vita-sales-in-first-three-wee/

lol good luck with that.

EDIT: Good post, PR!

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
No Super Bowl advertisements was a stupid idea too.

One of the reasons I want a Vita is because I have nothing electronically current in terms of phones and multimedia devices. My phone plays laggy videos in 240p for crying out loud.

The one super duper thing I have is my PS3/360/HDTV, and those aren't portable, lol.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Thought I could mention this here.

For anyone who's gotten the Vita already, go to the PlayStation Store and download the free game "Fireworks".
It's a game where you tap on the screen to detonate fireworks fired from Augmented Reality houses. It works with 3 of the 6 provided AR cards, but can work without them in Infinite Mode.

It's really one of those games where you wish it was on the 3DS but still had the same touch-screen input as the Vita because it would look absolutely amazing in 3D but it wouldn't work without the Vita-style touchscreen.

I suggest sitting in a rolling chair for Infinite Mode. It ends up spinning you around slowly.

Top Bottom