• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokémon Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DilowcsNollsnn

Smash Rookie
I agree, but probably won't happen.
Sadly, I have to agree, but it wouldn't even matter if they just called him that in the first place. Maybe they though people who weren't familiar with the character would be better off with knowing his occupation rather than his name.:c

JOE!

Smash Hero
Bit of a stretch, but I always thought it'd be cool if the team dynamic were focused on a bit more, especially in a way that emulated the games.

1) Free-order selection:
What this means is that you can select your team order at the character select screen, by clicking twice on the pokemon you want to be first, then selecting the next in line (for example, you could start with Zard, then go to Ivysaur to change the team order). This would be especially helpful if there are more than 3 pokemon on the team as some are suggesting, allowing you to select the team in a manner such as this:

2) Individual health and stock:
How this will work is that each pokemon will have their own % when you swap, so if Squirtle is at 100%, swapping to Ivy will have her at the % she was when she was last out. This will encourage switching more often as you literally start off fresh as you swap, and lets you save a pokemon for later.

Forced switch upon defeat is still in, as when a pokemon is defeated, you are now locked out of switching to them, making up for how you can swap around to change your %. In the event of a non-stock match, or match where there are more than 3 stocks, it works like the SSE when you have an extra life: the extra stock goes to the first man out. Timed matches could have some sort of timer penalty to swap them back in as well as Red is seen using a Revive on the pokemon.

3) Load mons during the stage select/character select:
Simply put, speed up swapping by loading characters faster somehow.

4) Swap-moves:
A bit of a strange idea, but one that ties into the last three points (especially the first!), Swap-Moves are special moves pokemon perform as they either switch in or switch out of battle to cover for their team mate as they come in, or to even follow up things the former mon did right away.

An example of this could be Squirtle using Whirlpool to create a Mach Tornado-like hitbox of water around himself as he switches out, letting Ivysaur come in under a protective wall of water. Alternatively, a switch-in move could be Ivysaur coming in and having spores float about her, affecting the foe in some way for her to take advantage of from the get-go.

Combining these aspects along with the ability to choose your team order could open up a -ton- of depth and strategy! (Especially with more than 3 mons to pick and choose from)

I think it'd be a lot of fun to play a character like this :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
For Down-B moves, should they happen to turn into real moves...

Charizard: Lava Plume (not sure if he learns it though, but I'll assume he does)
-Anyone in contact with the ground near Charizard (DK's down B range) will be burned in the Ness PK Fire way. On the air, it's a magmatic explosion which damages blasts opponents away in the Lucas PK Fire way.

Squirtle: Whirlpool
Creates a whirlpool that will trap opponents in a tornado like vortex. There are far less hits than MK's tornado, making it a LOT easier to escape.

Ivysaur: Leech Seed
Charges and shoots a seed directly above her. Opponent struck with the leech seed will be drained off his health (while replenishing Ivy) for a brief time until it's shaken loose.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd like to see a system where each Pokemon is tied to a specific stock and racks up percentage separately, almost like in a tag team fighter. Obviously some things would have to be worked out with more than three stocks/time battles.
I want it to be like how Skullgirls handles it. You can choose the size of your team - up to three characters. Depending on how many character you and your opponent choose, health and damage are scaled accordingly. This way, you can choose just one specific Pokemon or two or three.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd love to see PT be able to choose Pokemon while switching out. Like maybe how long the B(or whatever) button is held changes which Pokemon is cycled to.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
So i was at work today thinking about this and i thought of a new way to do pokemon trainer, that being starting with either squirtle, bulbasaur or charmander, then when you get a kill, you can use down b to evolve into the second evolution, then after the next kill you can evolve again. the pokemon would only change when you hit down b, so losing a stock wouldnt force a change. the advantage to evolving would be to become more powerful, but to balance they would probably have to change recovery or something

also im not sure if this is the right place to bring up this idea, but i thought this would be the best spot to start at

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
To the guy above me, that's 6 more pokemon from the first game. As if newer pokemon didn't have enough representation already. Not to mention those character spaces could go to characters like K. Rool, Black Shadow, Chibi-Robo, Blaziken, Zoroark, and Ridley.
Also pokemon don't kill their opponents.
Actually that's debatable.
Also I could see something like this work if it was just Charmander.

D

Deleted member

While I would rather not have any changes to the Trainer or his lineup, I would not be completely opposed to this...

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The stamina mechanic would've been fine if the game wasn't so campy. It's probably not an issue amongst casual players when they play free for alls with items on, which is really the environment that it was designed for.

PT is probably going to get cut, or at least altered. The pokemon series already has a lot of representation compared to other series, and they're going to want to have pokemon from more recent gens seeing as all of them bar Lucario are from gen 1 (this is probably why Lucario was prioritised over Mewtwo).

Knowing Nintendo they'll probably do something stupid like give the trainer the starters of the modern gen or something like that.

D

Deleted member

Unlike the fandom, Sakurai doesn't seem to care about "overrespresentation" of a Generation.

I mean, the initial plan for Melee was just Pika, Jiggs, and Mewtwo.
Pichu was only added later as a clone to beef up the roster because he felt it was lacking.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
We seriously do not need a character with six forms... I love the idea of Pokemon Trainer a lot, but even that is just barely enough to justify the idea of him having three.

And it is way too late to care about proper Generation representation. We are missing the second, third, and fifth, all the while people wanting Mewtwo from the first to come back. In order to satisfy it, we'd have to bring back Pichu, bring in Plusle & Minun, Zoroark/Whoever, and either piss off Smashers by not adding Mewtwo, or throw him in as well.

Even if we got one of every generation, that means no Pokemon Trainer, no Jigglypuff, and no Mewtwo, People will not be happy.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
I always got the impression Smash Bros was more about showing classic Nintendo characters more than modern to be honest which is why it is generally 1st gen pokemon since they are the most iconic. Now I am not saying this as a absolute but more as a general pattern.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sakurai doesn't have any proven bias towards any generation and that he goes off of fan demand.

Since I believe this is PT Red related, I should remind everyone that he was added because of demand made for him and his Pokemon Pre-Melee, not to mention Red is the main character of the series too. Cutting the main character of the games as well as some of the most popular Pokemon out there (and arguablely the most popular Pokemon ever, Charizard) is rediculous. At this point as long as he has Pikachu and Red the Pokemon roster is pretty much set.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of having 3 Pokémon fighting as a team and the idea of the Pokémon Trainer himself, however, it was poorly done and I think that he'll probably get removed in order for other Pokémon to appear.

D

Deleted member

Long ago, I posted the idea of making Trainer use fully evolved Starters like in G/S/C/HG/SS (and now, Black 2 & White 2), and people didn't like the idea just because it breaks the "light/medium/heavy" system.

Well, someone was kind enough to make my vision a semi-reality without my knowledge.
Now tell me that this wouldn't be awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmV6TQKRvKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTi4hlIgDOg&

Screw the weight system. Gimme the full set of OG Version Mascots!

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he's going to make it into Smash 4.
If he does, he'll probably have more modern Pokemon.
Though if it were me, I would axe them all(except for Number Six) in favor on the third generation traners with a Treecko/Combusken/Swampert group.
I really don't get this line of logic.

If Pokemon Trainer isn't working because of the team mechanic, why is your solution to replace his pokemon with three new pokemon, taking up tons of programming time with little possible reward? People are going to show outrage that we just replaced three old sucky characters with three new sucky characters, instead of just buffing the old sucky characters and adding a few new ones who aren't hampered by the team system.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
People need to remember that the stamina mechanic isn't really an issue when you're playing free-for-alls with items on, which is what the character was designed for.

As for cuts, Jiggs and Pika won't get cut because they won't cut any 64ers.

I'm still very confident that PT will definitely be cut or changed in some way.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Long ago, I posted the idea of making Trainer use fully evolved Starters like in G/S/C/HG/SS (and now, Black 2 & White 2), and people didn't like the idea just because it breaks the "light/medium/heavy" system.

Well, someone was kind enough to make my vision a semi-reality without my knowledge.
Now tell me that this wouldn't be awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmV6TQKRvKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTi4hlIgDOg&

Screw the weight system. Gimme the full set of OG Version Mascots!
That is amazing. @_@ I really hate that PT's Pokemon aren't all evolved.

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't want to use a bunch of fatties for PT. Besides, fully-evolved Pokémon are for stats in the main games, not for maximum cool points. He should keep some stuff unevolved.

D

Deleted member

I would agree with the almighty Aku, but in this case, it's the case that it's the OG Version Mascots.

Unevolved Pokemon are for characters like Pikachu and Jigglypuff. (And Meowth, if he ever gets in.)

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
I don't follow pokemon but would like to see a second pokemon trainer that has a name and could be a character

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone thought of simply making PT's swap technique <_< >_> unpunishable?
Like maybe your invincible for the whole anim? Or it could cause damage?

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Full invincibility sounds broken. Imagine the stalling capabilities PT could do if that were true?

I like the "do damage" thing though. Hows this. Make it like a get-up attack. If you tap A they'll perform a reversal on the way out thats punishable on block. If you choose not to use the reversal, PT's new pokemon can act near instantly.

NEAR instantly :V

That way it comes down to sort of a 50/50 mixup when they come out.

Or ya know....
just make em switch faster so you have enough time to switch if you knock your opponent away.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't want to use a bunch of fatties for PT. Besides, fully-evolved Pokémon are for stats in the main games, not for maximum cool points. He should keep some stuff unevolved.
Plus, with all fully evolved pokemon you can't do that lightweight middleweight heavyweight scheme to give balance to the trio.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Has anyone thought of simply making PT's swap technique <_< >_> unpunishable?
Like maybe your invincible for the whole anim? Or it could cause damage?
Either or sounds good to me. If invincibility is broken as Sunny said, then maybe it could be super armor. Either way both Red and Zelda need something to prevent cheap punishes.

Damage sounds good too, back when PT was revealed I thought the pick of Charizard looked like it was attacking anyway, so it makes some sense. :laugh:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Either or sounds good to me. If invincibility is broken as Sunny said, then maybe it could be super armor. Either way both Red and Zelda need something to prevent cheap punishes.
How are they cheap punishes? If you don't want to get hit, don't use moves that make you vulnerable at bad times. The same goes for every move you do, whether it damages people or not.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
How are they cheap punishes? If you don't want to get hit, don't use moves that make you vulnerable at bad times. The same goes for every move you do, whether it damages people or not.
You make a good point and I agree, but IMO it just seems cheap in a way I can't explain. :p

JOE!

Smash Hero
Full invincibility sounds broken. Imagine the stalling capabilities PT could do if that were true?

I like the "do damage" thing though. Hows this. Make it like a get-up attack. If you tap A they'll perform a reversal on the way out thats punishable on block. If you choose not to use the reversal, PT's new pokemon can act near instantly.

NEAR instantly :V

That way it comes down to sort of a 50/50 mixup when they come out.

Or ya know....
just make em switch faster so you have enough time to switch if you knock your opponent away.

Bit of a stretch, but I always thought it'd be cool if the team dynamic were focused on a bit more, especially in a way that emulated the games.

1) Free-order selection:
What this means is that you can select your team order at the character select screen, by clicking twice on the pokemon you want to be first, then selecting the next in line (for example, you could start with Zard, then go to Ivysaur to change the team order). This would be especially helpful if there are more than 3 pokemon on the team as some are suggesting, allowing you to select the team in a manner such as this:

2) Individual health and stock:
How this will work is that each pokemon will have their own % when you swap, so if Squirtle is at 100%, swapping to Ivy will have her at the % she was when she was last out. This will encourage switching more often as you literally start off fresh as you swap, and lets you save a pokemon for later.

Forced switch upon defeat is still in, as when a pokemon is defeated, you are now locked out of switching to them, making up for how you can swap around to change your %. In the event of a non-stock match, or match where there are more than 3 stocks, it works like the SSE when you have an extra life: the extra stock goes to the first man out. Timed matches could have some sort of timer penalty to swap them back in as well as Red is seen using a Revive on the pokemon.

3) Load mons during the stage select/character select:
Simply put, speed up swapping by loading characters faster somehow.

4) Swap-moves:
A bit of a strange idea, but one that ties into the last three points (especially the first!), Swap-Moves are special moves pokemon perform as they either switch in or switch out of battle to cover for their team mate as they come in, or to even follow up things the former mon did right away.

An example of this could be Squirtle using Whirlpool to create a Mach Tornado-like hitbox of water around himself as he switches out, letting Ivysaur come in under a protective wall of water. Alternatively, a switch-in move could be Ivysaur coming in and having spores float about her, affecting the foe in some way for her to take advantage of from the get-go.

Combining these aspects along with the ability to choose your team order could open up a -ton- of depth and strategy! (Especially with more than 3 mons to pick and choose from)

I think it'd be a lot of fun to play a character like this :p

People seem to have glazed over this... (mainly points 3 and 4)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Aside from the Skullgirls/CvS2 team size settings, I think switching Pokemon should be done where you can cancel into the switching like in Tekken Tag Tournament on hit. Pokemon Trainer's really the only character you can apply this kind of thing to anyway.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A few changes:

1. Make Down B quicker.
2. Take away stamina.
3. Allow Down B to be performed in the air. However, the next pokemon gets no jumps.
4. Holding B during the transformation will pick the pokemon not in the generated sequence. So if Ivysaur is next in line, but B is held, than Charizard will be selected.

Bing

Smash Master
What I think could be interesting is if for switching is if he returns the initial pokemon, and then has a range of throwing a pokeball somewhere. To make it not broken they'd have to be on the ground(Otherwise thats the most hax recovery of all time XD

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
To be honest i think people only use this guy for Charizard the other 2 were cool...but just not as cool and popular as charizard so why not in this game make charizard his own distinct character and give the pokemon trainer three new poke's like say piplup, grotle and infernape. Infernape getting a unique moveset while piplup and grotle inherit a lot of squirtle and ivysaur's set??

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
They don't move nearly as well. It's hard to make most starter trios move as fluidly as the current three.

Also, I think people prefer Squirtle as much/often as they do Charizard on average.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
Meh kinda debatable squirlte's sole claim to fame was the anime while charizard has both that and and the games fire breathing dragon vs dinosaur with flower or a turtle with cannons not hard to tell which little kids would go for.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
People don't always pick characters because of how they're portrayed in their source material. In fact, that's rarely how it goes with so many cool characters to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom