• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Portal Mafia! Game Over!

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
@First paragraph

Partly, yea. his tone feels forced, and too mechanical. Trying to get to a comp, when i will ill elaborate.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'll be able to read deeper after my last exam Thursday morning, so don't expect much more than surface level content until then, unfortunately.

#HBC | Gorf

legoqerignaoriorigvknawernawergi:)<3 said:
Scum is a strong word. I'll say more along the lines of "scummy."

The reason, being, as said before, is because I didn't like your jump onto KBQQ. It was too hard for to little. Why attack the one person who's trying to generate content?
Because I feel that the one person who's trying to generate content is doing so in a manner that gives me a non-towny feel. Plus, what better way to generate TRUE (true meaning what the **** were we gonna get out of mechanics talk and textbook questions?) content than by setting a stance?

To elaborate, Xonar thinks that Nabe may of just been going for townie points with how he started up the game. I suppose that you could interpret it like that, but to do so feels a bit WIFOMie to me.

Gord, what do you think of this part of KBQQ's 61?

What I wanted from you should be patently obvious: to see your response. The manner in which you answered, or if you were at all deflective about it, or if you flatout refused in some way. If you didn't see this to be the case, then how can you say that you somehow have liked my question to Raz, but not have understood it was for reads or linked it to the (extremely similar) question I asked you?
Does this justification for his questions do anything for you?

Stew, if you agree with Gord then you should probably be voting him, opr at least explain why you're not. I don't know what good you're going to get out of having your vote sit in RVS for so long.

#HBC | Gorf

Nabe said:
What I wanted from you should be patently obvious: to see your response. The manner in which you answered, or if you were at all deflective about it, or if you flatout refused in some way. If you didn't see this to be the case, then how can you say that you somehow have liked my question to Raz, but not have understood it was for reads or linked it to the (extremely similar) question I asked you?
Iirc, this was a question posed to Stew by KBBQ (not KBQQ) wrt his RVS question to Stew. It does absolutely nothing but enhance my suspicion of him. Look at the way he carries himself in that post. He lists ALL of the things he could have scrutinized in the response, and he does so in a manner that I can only imagine a forum mafia mentor (no pun intended) teaching his mentee about how you should play the game of mafia. The way he talks just seems so mechanical, so forced. I just DON'T think that that's how a person communicates, and that is the main backing of my suspicion of em for now. I know it may not be concrete, but really think about it.

Also, how is it "scummy" to attack the person generating content?

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
@Mod:
Can the serial killer use his night kill on the puppet?
Do both goon and puppet receive identical Mafia Goon PMs?
I don't see any town intent from this post. As reachy as it seems, I honestly can't think of why you would need to know this as anything but mafia goon/puppet. Even the SK wouldn't really need to know this.

Gord: What character are you?
I don't like this question at all. Yes, as BBQ says later, we're all VTs, but I don't like that he would ask that when we're all VTs. There's nothing to gain from it as town, unless he was hoping to randomly out a scum character claim from Gord which would be a shakey case at best.

I think his intent was to elicit a response along the lines of what stew said.

And asking Gorf for his character is also really weird and rolefishy.
I have little doubt that if Gord himself had said this he would have used it in his argument of GordScum. Since it was Stew that answered he was able to easily explain it away.

On a slightly different note, I've seen BBQ accuse Gord in like half his posts of deflecting questions. I'm not gonna defend Gord here, because I entirely agree that he's deflecting, but BBQ has been misconstruing things as well, which is also not beneficial to town.

I dislike both sides of this argument but I'm fairly certain this isn't SvS.
I also don't have enough info to put this past TvT either.

I can however say that I dislike BBQ a lot more than Gord here, just based on his individual play so far.

Vote: Korean BBQ

FoS: Gord

#HBC | Gorf

His suspicions of me are not something I cared to comment on, because it came across to me as OMGUS/fake/wtfisthisshiz.

Korean BBQ

Smash Rookie
I don't see any town intent from this post. As reachy as it seems, I honestly can't think of why you would need to know this as anything but mafia goon/puppet. Even the SK wouldn't really need to know this.
You're right. Town doesn't need to form an understanding of how the setup works in a 4:3 situation. I'll go sit in a corner.

I dislike both sides of this argument but I'm fairly certain this isn't SvS.
I also don't have enough info to put this past TvT either.

I can however say that I dislike BBQ a lot more than Gord here, just based on his individual play so far.

Vote: Korean BBQ

FoS: Gord
Mad suspicious. Disliking me more than Gord doesn't justify a vote. By the same reasoning, your sus on Gord will turn into a vote D2 after a D1 BBQ lynch, somehow turning this situation into an excuse to 1-2-punch.

Korean BBQ

Smash Rookie
His suspicions of me are not something I cared to comment on, because it came across to me as OMGUS/fake/wtfisthisshiz.
This isn't justification of not answering me. But more importantly,
why didn't you voice this?
Why am I reading this now when I've spent my last 10 posts asking you to answer to mounting questions? Why is one post from Moth enough to get your lips moving?

#HBC | Gorf

This was a serious question, Gord.

If not, then why are you not responding to a single post I make?
This is not a question that I feel matters, and just about nothing you say as far as reasoning will make me feel this question means anything. If you really care you can try.

#HBC | Gorf

This isn't justification of not answering me. But more importantly,
why didn't you voice this?
Why am I reading this now when I've spent my last 10 posts asking you to answer to mounting questions? Why is one post from Moth enough to get your lips moving?
Yes it is.

Do you notice that you asked a total of three questions, only one of which really can account to scum hunting? If you're town, you should focus less on being robotic and scummy.

How bout this, I'm willing to compromise. If you wanna ask me a question, and are afraid of my not answering (which I'm totally willing to continue), I'll answer it if you have a decently detailed explanation as to why you're asking. If I feel it's bad reasoning, I'll tell you it is and why I feel that way. Sound cool?

Korean BBQ

Smash Rookie
If you wanna ask me a question, and are afraid of my not answering (which I'm totally willing to continue), I'll answer it if you have a decently detailed explanation as to why you're asking. If I feel it's bad reasoning, I'll tell you it is and why I feel that way. Sound cool?
Sure. That would be you acknowledging I exist, so it's a step up.
artificial thread extension systems are go
It just seems... OFF, you asking Stew and Stew only. It also seems OFF that you seem to be dwelling on mechanics that are either insignificant (my definition is god) or obvlivious (again, my definition is god). Especially when you say it was Nabe doing it...
Why is it off to have only asked Stew?
Why is it "especially off" that Nabe would do so?
The reason behind the first question: I don't understand why you think it's "off" that I don't agree with Stew. I don't even understand what "off" means -- it's a vague word to use. Therefore, I'm asking you to elaborate on what you mean.

The reason behind the second question: Nabe's meta is largely understood to be flavour and setup discussion. It seems strange that you would say it's "especially off" for Nabe to act that way, suggesting it's against what you expect from him. Therefore, I'm asking you for elaboration on what you mean.

#HBC | Gorf

Sure. That would be you acknowledging I exist, so it's a step up.
artificial thread extension systems are go

The reason behind the first question: I don't understand why you think it's "off" that I don't agree with Stew. I don't even understand what "off" means -- it's a vague word to use. Therefore, I'm asking you to elaborate on what you mean.

The reason behind the second question: Nabe's meta is largely understood to be flavour and setup discussion. It seems strange that you would say it's "especially off" for Nabe to act that way, suggesting it's against what you expect from him. Therefore, I'm asking you for elaboration on what you mean.
Former: K, I wasnt saying it was off that you AGREE with stew. Iirc, my reason for thinking it wass off was cuz the question you had asked could have been posed to anybody, and iirc your justification for asking em was cuz he was here... Just seems weird that you ONLY asked him but im not calling scum for that. Its actually kinda off to me that you're rehashing this question... But I may be looking too into it idk.

Latter: Setups are usually also closed, correct?

Korean BBQ

Smash Rookie
Latter: Setups are usually also closed, correct?
Yes. And the sky is blue, and this isn't an answer as to why it's strange for Nabe to comment on the setup, compared to another player.

Question:
It just seems... OFF, you asking Stew and Stew only. It also seems OFF that you seem to be dwelling on mechanics that are either insignificant (my definition is god) or obvlivious (again, my definition is god). Especially when you say it was Nabe doing it...
What is insignificant or oblivious(?) about the SK wincon? Knowing what we expect from the SK and considering how we might play it ourselves informs the town strat in turn, since the SK is the killing faction.
Reason for question:
As I say in the latter part, I don't find it to be insignificant.

I'm also trying to determine the other word and what you meant; oblivious? Obvious? I don't know. If it's the latter, I'd argue that it's not obvious, given that I had to spell it out for Sold. If it's the former, you need to elaborate. Thanks.

#HBC | Gorf

Yes. And the sky is blue, and this isn't an answer as to why it's strange for Nabe to comment on the setup, compared to another player.

Question:

Reason for question:
As I say in the latter part, I don't find it to be insignificant.

I'm also trying to determine the other word and what you meant; oblivious? Obvious? I don't know. If it's the latter, I'd argue that it's not obvious, given that I had to spell it out for Sold. If it's the former, you need to elaborate. Thanks.
It's weird for anyone, but less weird for somebody with little experience.

Former: It's insignificant because the answer serves nothing to anything. K, so Stew says he'd do this as SK... Doesn't matter for scumhunting, doesn't matter for information, youu already have your own opinion formulated on the topic if you're asking about it... But it CAN serve to look like you're doing something when you're not.

Latter: Imma go with obvious cuz i dont wanna possibly have to explain, and because I think you're nitpicking and don't really care. But again it looks like you're doing stuff amirite?

So I'm reviewing some stuff to see if I was wrong or not. I've reread KBQQ's first question about the SK, and I'm just not seeing it.

KBQQ said:
Sold: How will/would you play SK in this game? [/QUOTE

KBQQ said:
That's cool. But I meant it as a serious question.

The serial killer (I assume) wins in 2P with a townie.
The serial killer wins in 3P with the puppet and a townie.
The serial killer loses in 3P with the goon and a townie.
The serial killer loses in 4P with the puppet, the goon and a townie.

Therefore, for the serial killer to win, the goon must be dead.

How would you tackle that wincon?
This really does seem like a legit thing to establish first. I DO NOT see what was off about it, or how this is "mechanical." Thus reviewing this I'm still holding that Gord's attack was reachy. I will take back though the statement that Gord's attack on the "person generating content" was scummy, because just attacking the person who is generating content in itself is not actually scummy. Why I don't like is the nature of the attack itself, since I don't think it's legit.

Hope that answers your most recent question to me, Gord.

Sold: The SK knows who the puppet is -- would you consider reading the puppet in order to find their partner? Can you think of a situation when killing the puppet could be beneficial?

Raziek: How might you expect the mafia play to differ from the SK play?

Gord: What character are you?
These questions ring a bit more "mechanical," though. So I will give Gord that. First question is meh, I could see "wanting to see how someone responds to it," but it feels like the answer to this one is way obvious. Second question is better, something which may actually produce an interesting response, or at the very least some useful insight. Final question is just plain useless though, which is pretty weird and slightly scummy.

Oh I forgot I didn't.

Your play in no way constitutes town trying to get a feel for how other townies play as SK here. Your play in general feels way too much like you're trying to pass yourselves off as an innocence factor, which strikes an odd chord to me, seeing as how both heads have plenty of experience in the game of mafia (Tery no matter how trash garbage you think you may be you've played plenty'a mafia so you get no pass). And don't even try to pass it off as RVS schenanigans cuz what the hell type of RVS schenanigans involve those types of questions? What the hell motive was there to even ask those questions? Your play just seems off mang.
I'm assuming that this case has taken into account KBQQ's 46. I can see the scumminess of the 46 but not anything else, and KBQQ doesn't seem to be playing up the "innocence factor" at all. Perhaps though you meant something else then that? Also I can definitely see why it as RVS, as already explained.

Actually Gord, I may owe you an apologize. I'm saying may because I really want to discuss this with my hydra buddy. However, I'm looking at KBQQ's 51, which you pointed out, and I myself am now actually noticing something off there that I didn't before.

KBQQ said:
You're deflecting with a shallow vote, reasoning after the fact. You refuse to answer questions, many of which are asking you to elaborate on things you've already said. You cut under the issue entirely, shying away from addressing my reason for talking about the SK and instead saying "your questions suck imo". You instead pass it off as role spec and decry it, when instead I'm speculating on common knowledge that informs the town strat, underlying the other wincons and by extension telling us what we need to do to win.

I find it hard to believe I've found scum 20-30 posts into the day. Is English your first language?
The thing is is that he's actually right here. However, (and this is a bit WIFOMis, so forgive me), but this post just strikes me as careful. Not careful in its stances, but careful in its structure. Like, it's as if TOO much thought went into how this post was going to be worded, like he's picking his words really carefully. Not something in itself that's worth a vote, but still something that's bugging me here, and should be discussed. Thoughts?

#HBC | Gorf

Yes. That idea of carefulness is one of the things that really bug me, and he does it in a fair amount of places. Like, as town, i usually just post whats in my mind and it comes out that way. His tone all around seems too careful.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Stew, if you agree with Gord then you should probably be voting him, opr at least explain why you're not. I don't know what good you're going to get out of having your vote sit in RVS for so long.
Because I'm unsure if scummyness is attached to the questions. Like I can't see set-up speculation and near useless questions during essentially RVS to be scummy. It's weird, or as gorf put it "Off", but not worth a wagon based on the questions alone.

Moth makes long posts I don't want to read. Can we lynch him?

Vote Moth
Mannn. LDR justifying me having their vote on them. Comical because he implied that he wasn't going to read any of the posts anyways.

but BBQ has been misconstruing things as well, which is also not beneficial to town.
Share with me the misconstruing things? This would be real solid stuff I'd like to see.

Mad suspicious. Disliking me more than Gord doesn't justify a vote. By the same reasoning, your sus on Gord will turn into a vote D2 after a D1 BBQ lynch, somehow turning this situation into an excuse to 1-2-punch.
Did you really just call Moth scummy for having more than 1 scum read and choosing to pursue the one he felt more strongly on? 1-2-punch, wouldn't that imply that you're afraid of a gord(person you're currently voting) lynch happening? I'm afraid this might be what Moth meant by misconstruing things, this is a terrible try at moving suspicion.

Maaaaaan.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
What are you try'na gain from any of those questions? What were you looking to gain from asking STEW about that SK shiz? Your questions seem totally aimless.
Stew was here and posting when I was. Are you upset that I asked him? If not, I've misunderstood what "STEW" is supposed to mean.
This is the first one in the game. I don't think many people noticed it but he doesn't answer the question at all. I don't see anything here about his "intent" with his questions. He deflects the question entirely by essentially pointing at Gord and saying "YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I'M DOING? YOU MUST BE SCUMMY!" He doesn't actually accuse him of being scum here, but no doubt it's a part of his thought process when calling him scum later.

Your play in no way constitutes town trying to get a feel for how other townies play as SK here.
Good, since if that were the intent it would be a stupid and pointless question.
You call Stew a townie here.
Here is where he really starts bending words. He says Gord called Stew a townie, which, I'm sure most of you can see, is clearly not true. He treats him as a townie. Very different. He's not saying Stew is scum or town but for the sake of his argument he is treating him as the majority: town. After all it's not like KBBQ could know Stew is scum when he's asking these questions, right? We'll see...

FOS: Sold
And asking Gorf for his character is also really weird and rolefishy.
How can you think (or even form the genesis for the idea) that my asking for Gorf's character is rolefishy, when we're all VTs?

This is a huge one for me and I've pointed it out before. Stew, not remembering the game is an open setup, says what any townie would say in normal closed setup game. KBBQ immediately takes this as a scumslip and intentional with an FoS and even worse, I haven't seen any pressure since.
As I stated in my previous post on the matter, post #83, I believe KBBQ was looking for this response specifically.

My vote is on Raz.

Gorf I can see where you're coming from but KBBQ is the first to spark some activity so I'm cool with letting him do his thing.

Except if you wanna wagon us out of RVS I'm down with that.
FOS: You
My vote is on Raz.

Gorf I can see where you're coming from but KBBQ is the first to spark some activity so I'm cool with letting him do his thing.

Except if you wanna wagon us out of RVS I'm down with that.
This is a really bad post.

You semi-agree with Gorf ("I can see where you're coming from" which is a weak agreement), but "you're cool with letting BBQ do his thing" (emphasis on 'letting' which is a control word).

But, despite just saying you're cool with me sticking around, you will take a wagon to get us "out of RVS"? This is gross on two levels: one, you just said you'd keep me around, and two, RVS is very clearly out.

You're trying to sit in the neutral zone. Take a stance on the content so far and voice an explicit opinion of the facts.
Admittedly this is a pretty dumb post by Lego, but KBBQ misconstrues some things here anyway. First off he tries to put emphasis on Lego saying he's "letting" KBBQ "do his thing." He says it's a control word and implies that Lego thinks he has control of the game with it. Clearly this makes him scummy to KBBQ as there's also an FoS above the quote.
Second, KBBQ says that Lego contradicts himself by saying he'd accept a wagon on KBBQ to get out of RVS when he had already said he was okay with him. Now that's not what he said. He says

@Mod:
Can the serial killer use his night kill on the puppet?
Do both goon and puppet receive identical Mafia Goon PMs?
You're right. Town doesn't need to form an understanding of how the setup works in a 4:3 situation. I'll go sit in a corner.
You asked about MAFIA ROLE PMS. How does that have ANYTHING TO DO with how the setup works from a town PoV? Unless you HAVE A MAFIA ROLE PM you don't even need that info.
The part about the SK's NK was legit though, I should have cut that out. Doesn't give you any town points though. Asking about mechanics is null. If you disagree with me I will personally find you and kill you myself.

KBBQ said:
Stew already commented on this but yeah by this logic, you're setting yourself up for 3 townie lynches in a row.

I'd also like to point out here that KBBQ has FoS'd TWO PEOPLE with no follow up to either of them. He could easily either brush those off and say his read changed or bring them up later and push a lynch on them. I don't like that at all. He's throwing suspicion around too wildly.

My vote is most likely staying on KBBQ for the day. Gord doesn't look nearly as bad to me even though he's done some deflecting too.

Top Bottom