• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Potassium Overdose: What opponents can really do with our Bananas (1/29/10)

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Snake is too slow to get a Z drop on diddy. We can just fair him when he gets near us or bair if he's behind us.

And I doubt diddy kong is trapped for 32 frames after a trip cause it takes 32 frames for the first hit of bowser's aerial down b to connect.
I've done the Z-drop. It's a nice mixup with the B-reversal Z-drop because it throws Diddy off.

Also, you land first so it props you up. :lick:

SuSa

Z-drop. Banana trips Diddy. Bowser lands on the ground. Bowser does Down-B. Down-B props Diddy into the air. Diddy gets Bowser's butt slammed into him. Diddy cries. Bowser laughs evily.

Must I say it again?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
How do you B-reversal Z drop? Is it just Z dropping then B-reversaling a special? If so the name is pretty confusing.

Edit: nvm I see it's a Snake only tech.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
ZSS can dribble but it's very technical and difficult. She doesn't use GT or DACIT like someone said earlier though, she uses a pivot JCT.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Also, if a Marth has a banana, he can dthrow the banana to tippered Fsmash. My bro gets me with it when I try to aerial behind his shield and land inside of him. Not really a tech but something to watch out for when he has a banana.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Well, I've added a lot, mostly to the Dribble and Double Banana Lock lists. Both times someone has said a character can Double Banana Lock, they sounded unsure; can someone test or confirm they can? I've also added a lot of techs (coughallSusa'spostscough), and I've cleaned up the OP quite a bit.

But onto business, I'm going to research Hydro Tossing before I post it (I haven't heard of it before), and while all that Yoshi stuff from Teneban was great, I really need some explanation as to what Yoshi can do exactly/how he does it. I've never played anyone who uses DJC before.

SuSa

Well, I've added a lot, mostly to the Dribble and Double Banana Lock lists. Both times someone has said a character can Double Banana Lock, they sounded unsure; can someone test or confirm they can? I've also added a lot of techs (coughallSusa'spostscough), and I've cleaned up the OP quite a bit.

But onto business, I'm going to research Hydro Tossing before I post it (I haven't heard of it before), and while all that Yoshi stuff from Teneban was great, I really need some explanation as to what Yoshi can do exactly/how he does it. I've never played anyone who uses DJC before.
Hyro tossing is like Hydroplaning but throwing an item. It's great, and broken.

Also Yoshi + Ness AFAIK Jump --> Jump --> Throw item

I haven't tested the effectiveness of them. But that's how you do it.

EDIT:
About Snake's double drop tech chase. The double drop actually just lets us space it perfectly. However we can space it correctly without double dropping it. However to guarentee the grab we may need to glide toss and boost grab.

EDIT 2:

Also things like Ganon's HRC starter and the like usually happen from predicting your roll rather then actually trying to get above you. So the tip is "don't roll". =p

TreK

Is "that guy"
Yeah Ness can DJC too, but it just isn't as scary as Yoshi's as he doesn't have an air grab that make you stress about keeping your shield up, nor that hax aerial speed :V

Oh, and lucas can zap jump with a banana. looks hilarious, even though it isn't that useful xD
Unless he tosses it up and upairs you, I think it's a true combo and it can probably star ko you :p

and while all that Yoshi stuff from Teneban was great, I really need some explanation as to what Yoshi can do exactly/how he does it. I've never played anyone who uses DJC before.
Hmm okay, time for details. Yoshi's double jump's vertical momentum is cancellable by doing a B move or an item toss. He can do it on the floor by double jumping as soon as he leaves the ground, or do a random empty short hop and DJC at any point of it, or in example after a SH bair. This is already used with his neutral B, as it gives him an horizontal boost that can punish opponents from FAR away, landing safely after a shielded bair or be used as a baiting maneuver (see in exemple Zude's Yoshi, who spams it and is good at it. Fortunately he doesn't seem to know how to use bananas lol).
Now, if you replace the neutral B with a banana toss, this has the same effect except it isn't as punishable, so spotdodging it is useless as you'll eat a jab at low% and a killing downB at higher ones ; you can only shield it or instant throw it back. By mixing up the two techniques, Yoshi can really mess up with our defensive game, because if you guess wrong, you'll eat at least 20% and STILL be in a disadvantaged position.
You can still counter it by using the 2nd banana, ofc it's not anywhere near matchup braking but it really messes with momentum and I don't like it :V

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
SuSa, where do you learn about things like Bowser's Banana Bomber? I tried searching the character boards and I rarely, if ever, turn up with anything. Are you making these up as you go (which would be kinda cool)?

Working on adding Yoshi's and Squirtle's info now. I'm still scanning the boards, but I'm not coming up with much. Y'alls input has been a blessing for me.

EDIT: Maybe it's a good thing for us that the other boards aren't discussing Banana techs :D

SuSa

Just sharing things I've picked up from facing a lot of Diddy's. :) I haven't told any of the character boards about what they can do besides the Snake boards, which we all knew about it anyways.

So I've been making them up for a while now. And just thought I'd slap a name and let you know. :p

moocowmoo272

Smash Rookie
I have some Pit info with bananas if you want.
First off, Pit has a glidetoss about double of diddy's glidetoss range. It can lead to any grounded move he has.
Pit can wingdash over bananas and pick them up so that he doesn't have to use his extremely laggy dash attack. Wingdashing is jumping while quickly initiating his up b, then canceling with a down air on the c stick. This allows him to move forward and backward (almost like wave dashing) and the push from his wings can push foes slightly out of the way. Pit can wingdash over bananas very quickly without getting tripped during the whole animation of the wingdash. Because the wingdash ends with canceling an aerial,
he picks up the banana immediately after it. This is very useful for pit.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
Pit can also glidetoss down ---> banana choke chain grab
Though, now that i think about it alot of characters will probably be able to do that <_>?

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
IF anyone gets hit with snake's z drop banana, they should just quit the game. Snake has horrible air speed and diddy kong should uptilt, uair/fair before snake even gets a chance.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Yoshi, SuSa did say it was for predicting a bad roll. Otherwise, I'd 100% agree with you.

Kaptain Kong brings up a good point; we can't *technically* Banana Choke Chaingrab, but is there a character that can? IE, short enough Grab Release-Stun and long enough Grab range?

Oh boy, I need to update. Am doing. Thanks for the continued input guys. I'm surprised I forgot Wingdashing; I play a lot of Pits who do that. It also gives them some windboxes when they pick up the Banana that push you away/cancel attacks. It is good to know.

Tiki2

Smash Rookie
Sorry but i dont use bananas, i dont to be cheap and all that crap.

but, if somebody pulls bananas on me, i throw them backto them

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I'm glad there is still interest in this thread :)

I added the Wolf and Fox combos I came up with a few months ago... I had too much fun coming up with Banana combos with other characters, sorry ><

Are any of these combos or techs things we should actually look out for? I mean, what if a Sheik player actually knows how to Single Banana Lock... Should we be worried? I haven't been able to put ways to avoid a few of the techs; what should we be doing to counter them? And does anyone know of any others I've missed in these past months?

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
People should check this. But I am pretty sure a large portion of the cast can double banana lock technically and somewhat effectively.
-The first time I played around with jump cancel tossing (idk for sure if thats the name of the technique, but it occurs when the player initates a run and clicks jump then A and a direction immediately. This causes a throw animation similar to the one used in the air, but you keep your momentum and you dont leave the ground. It visually looks similar to glidetossing if it is used at the start of a dash) I realized that alot of characters have similar distances that they move after tossing the item. Even more weird is that these distances seemed very similar to diddy kongs glidetoss distance. I played around with it for a while and was soon able to double banana lock characters across final d with metaknight. I tested it by going to training, putting the cpu on walk and seeing if i could double nanner lock him, keep the combo going, and finish it with a decent move. ANYWAYS, as I said before, it worked. Maybe someone should look into it. Also, I assume a lot of characters can do this.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Donkey Kong

Grab releasing into a banana..
Chaingrabbing: I thought about some grab release stuff and it seems to work. If you have a banana in your control and it is on the ground and you manage to grab Diddy, cargo him and go to the banana. You have to face the same direction when you grabbed him or else he can somewhat control where he is released to avoid the banana. AND you aren't allowed to go as near to the banana as possible, because if he DIs away he will go past it. You can grab him again and go to the nana again, you can chaingrab him like this (he will always get 6 % damage if he gets released from the cargo).
Although if he doesn't have much % it probably won't work, because he'll be released too quickly.
This is best to do during mid %s (30-60?), and watch out, because the banana disappears quickly...
You can probably only do it 1-2 times. It's probably best to grab release him once and then pummel him and bthrow him or cargo uthrow/dthrow him away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq9PcOYrzOU#t=2m26s

KOing: TO FINISH DIDDY just use your dsmash after the cargo release. Yeah, that's right, you can grab release to dsmash Diddy Kong to KO him!! Of course he has to land on the banana like with the chaingrab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq9PcOYrzOU#t=2m44s

DFEAR

Smash Hero
@kk, gotta consider every possibility...

@lp, cant everyone do that from grab release lol? also cant dk also cargo to down throw (where he bowls them lol) into the banana into a check chase?

Player-1

Smash Legend
i thought the point of this thread was to list what other boards already knew about banana combos...not to discover it for them and hurt us...

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yoshi kann Jump Cancel Banane Dribble
Dashforward Jump Dthrow, recatch in any direction, possibly recatch with DR to slide a greater distance.

He can DR Pick up Bananas. (Yoshis Banane Pickup Range is really nice) he can really safely pick up a banana from the ground.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
yoshi doesnt have catch lag like every other character? hmm maybe i should be more careful baitin my opponent to get my bananas in front of me?

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Sonic can pick up naners fairly easily with his Spin dash roll aka down special. Just need to jump and airdodge or aerial near it. Obviously that means u can instant throw it as well. Sonic actually has more combos too. I believe toss>ftilt>pick up naner >glidetoss/JCT>grab works. If properly spaced, u should be able to pivot grab instead then continue the chain with a GR>trip> whatever. Also SDR (down special) >footstool>downward toss> bair> glidetoss> grab/stuff works too. buffered bair(while holding a naner)> glidetoss/JCT> grab/stuff works at low percents. ummm u can sh toss downward>bair>glidetoss/JCT> grab/stuff at low percents. sh toss downward>soft hit nair > grab (fair MAY work not sure) works. toss> tipper dtilt> pickup (thank you IASA frames)> glidetoss>stuff. He can also double naner lock. SDR foostool setups for tech-chase with naner. Sonic beasts with naners. he can also utilize his spin-dash shield cancel and Aerial Spin Charge cancel to JCT or glidetoss for mindgames.

If you want i could do these and send the replay to someone. Up to you, just PM if you want me too.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
New stuff! I added the Donkey Kong techs to the front page. I'm gonna have to wait for a video link from syonryoken before I add the Sonic stuff, sorry.

Also, Yikarur, that Yoshi's JC Dribble you posted sounds neat, but I'm having trouble picturing it. I'm also not very familiar with Yoshi's DR (I know of it, but not how to do it or what it does exactly), so if I could get more detail about these things, I'd really appreciate it.

So, is it now being said that everyone can Double Banana Lock, then?

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
The point of this thread isn't to tell the other mains new things to do, it's to inform us of what they already know so that we'll be ready for when they use it.
The fact that I came up with a few is completely beside the point >.>

_clinton

Smash Master
Ness and Lucas can DJC with items like naners as well (in fact...they have the zap jump/PK jump stuff with them on top of that)

Top Bottom