• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*POUND* 4 Brawl Results (Full results and brackets in OP)

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
It's wednesday and the tournament ended on monday. What's done is done. If you would've came up to us at the venue that's a whole different story, but you (as well as everyone) assumed it would be a best 3/5 (because it should've been) and so the set was played with the agreement that it was a best 3/5.

Not much you can do 2 days after the tournament, sorry.
BUT.....i did come up to you at the tourny...and did ask why all of the sudden is it 3/5 for semi's?!

i understand that now its impossible to do anything about it....but regardless it does seem that me/chu and kelvin got screwed

*CT*

Smash Lord
I didn't play against a single MK in my pools, then again I didn't make it out of round one. I would have rather played MKs. I enjoy up smashing them.

I did awful, but tourney was awesome, met so many good players.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
BUT.....i did come up to you at the tourny...and did ask why all of the sudden is it 3/5 for semi's?!

i understand that now its impossible to do anything about it....but regardless it does seem that me/chu and kelvin got screwed
:( :( i wonder what plank told you..but oh well nothing can be done now sadly :/

RATED

Smash Lord
I'm gonna do some dramatic rule alterations, the biggest of them being:

All standing infinites are legal, which include Marth on Ness, Dedede on Mario/DK, and Ice Climbers on everyone. It's not fair to allow the ice climbers to do it and not let everyone else do it. If you don't want to be infinited, don't pick that character in the matchup.
hmm that sounds kinda unfair bcuz of the practice and time spent learning to do those CGs with ICs. its like stealing the reward of the player's practice by getting DDDs infinites to be legal that are very easily done and can even be done by mashing the grab button.

but I don't have the "power" to change it , its just a opinion. having no timer would be awesome.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend

Candy, I wasn't aware at the time that VGBootcamp posted rules that said semis were no longer 3/5, directly contradicting my post on the first page. I will say that this is NOT the only issue that came up to stress me out because of the rules they posted. I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication of the rules, I thought everyone understood all semifinals and finals were b/o5 because it was such a big tournament but because the rules were posted differently from what they should've been, i DEFINITELY see where you are coming from.

I am only one person so I can only do so much and I knew realistically I couldn't run Brawl AND Melee. It would've been too much. It's disappointing that the people I thought I could trust to run Brawl didn't come through how I had hoped and in the process a few of you guys got hurt by it.

Again I am really sorry for the misconception of the rules. I hope regardless everyone had a good time.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
Candy, I wasn't aware at the time that VGBootcamp posted rules that said semis were no longer 3/5, directly contradicting my post on the first page. I will say that this is NOT the only issue that came up to stress me out because of the rules they posted. I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication of the rules, I thought everyone understood all semifinals and finals were b/o5 because it was such a big tournament but because the rules were posted differently from what they should've been, i DEFINITELY see where you are coming from.

I am only one person so I can only do so much and I knew realistically I couldn't run Brawl AND Melee. It would've been too much. It's disappointing that the people I thought I could trust to run Brawl didn't come through how I had hoped and in the process a few of you guys got hurt by it.

Again I am really sorry for the misconception of the rules. I hope regardless everyone had a good time.
understandable

m2k/ally: me and chu got you next time!!!!!!! >:o)

edit: other infinites such as DDD's and sheiks is not even close to the same as ICs. Not getting grabbed by DDD is literally impossible. ICs have such small grab range and require nana in order to pull it off. You do have to put more time into ICs and you do have a higher chance of messing those up.

not only that, ICs ENTIRE game is about CG. Which means if you can are smart enough to play around it they auto lose. Whereas its no other characters main focus and can win w/o them by using skill

Pegachris

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna do some dramatic rule alterations, the biggest of them being:

100 ledge grab limit PER TEAM IN DOUBLES, 50 ledge grab limit in singles
12 MINUTE TIMER- Yes I realize what the outcome could be of this, but adding another 4 minutes should almost assure us the time does not run out.
Smashville, FD, and BF as the only neutrals, YI and Lylat as CP
Rainbow Cruise banned, Distant Planet legal
Stalling is banned, judge's discretion
Scrooging is NOT banned, unless the opponent is making no attempt to approach at all, in which case, that is stalling, so the opponent would be DQ'd for that match. 3 flights under the stage consecutive without any attempt to pressure the opponent will result in DQ.
Bowsercide results in a win for bowser
Ganon/Wario/Dedede/Kirby "cide", if the game chooses a winner, that person wins. If the game goes to sudden death, a 1 stock runoff is played.
I'm still not sure what to do if we get the ice climber fusion glitch again. It's kind of hard to prevent such a thing, but people might start doing it on purpose to utilize it. Right now, if the IC fusion glitch happens, the match will be reset.
All standing infinites are legal, which include Marth on Ness, Dedede on Mario/DK, and Ice Climbers on everyone. It's not fair to allow the ice climbers to do it and not let everyone else do it. If you don't want to be infinited, don't pick that character in the matchup.

Best rules and post I seen for a while. All I gotta say about RC being banned is ABOUT **** TIME.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I agree with with DDD's infinites should have never been banned in the first place. Ease of use is not relevant.

MasterDaveNo1

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Dedede's standing infinites should ever be legal because avoiding Dedede's grab forever is basically impossible and you can at least kill Nana to remove the gayness from ICs but Dedede is fat and can always do it no matter what.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The trick is to not pick characters that can be infinited by D3 versus D3 players.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I don't think Dedede's standing infinites should ever be legal because avoiding Dedede's grab forever is basically impossible and you can at least kill Nana to remove the gayness from ICs but Dedede is fat and can always do it no matter what.
Dedede's grab being "unavoidable forever", makes him a somewhat good character.

Pegachris

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I really hate the timer in general, The game will either die or live by the timer

neither is really fun, thats why im trying to think of other ideas
There was this other thread where they were trying to find a solution to time outs and stalling and I made this suggestion:

"My idea is to take off the timer in the game BUT have the TO run the tourney round by round(how it should be run anyways) and have it in a 10 min time limit. Like have a Global timer all gamers can see and an alarm would go off when the time is done. Then when time is over all games that arent finished gets paused until a Judge arrives to the game. Then the game gets continued with a 2-3 min extension with the judge supervising the game. And if theres any sign of stalling in the overtime extension that player gets an immediate loss. Not sure what should happen if for some reason they STILL dont finish in this time then maybe go with life. Of course this would need people helping with running the tourney but at least we get ALOT of happy people."

I know alot of people are lazy and think this is too much work but the best way to prevent stalling is to have an unbiased supervision over the game and just DQ the obv staller.

OverLade

Smash Hero
That animation in your sig is ****ing win.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I agree with with DDD's infinites should have never been banned in the first place. Ease of use is not relevant.
That's because Ease has nothing to do with it. A character that has a specific Cg on a character that voids him nonviable is what makes it banned. In terms of IC's, the characters whole build is based off of CG'ing people, which is what makes it legal. It is important to note that you should not clump the 2 into the same category of play because it's 2 different scenarios. One character's whole purpose is to CG' because it is pretty much all they can do, and another is to just grab and rack up damage in that fashion. IC's can do it on everyone, which somewhat creates the balance for it since it's not character specific. Without it they aren't really useful at all in any case lol.

The trick is to not pick characters that can be infinited by D3 versus D3 players.
This is true. A little bleh, but true.

Coney

Smash Master
gonna make short shout-outs

if you're not on this list it's because i know you personally and we're cool and you should already know i love you

kai - sorry we didn't play! i'll definitely come to you in NJ, gotta play that sonic!

atomsk - remember that pastry! you owe me now!

blackanese - thanks for showing me the neatest ****ing thing DDD can ever do

CO18 - awesome playing with you, thanks for talking with me and giving me some tips on matchups. you're the dude that makes me wanna play straight DDD without CPs...stupid dittos though, LOL. and respond to my message already!

vanz - why on God's earth are you so angry

chaosmarth - thanks for bringing updates during commentary and keeping the tourney running strong

everybody in the chat except for player-one - i love you guys

cable - we didn't talk much at all but seriously, that DK is ****ing amazing. your first match with AZ was probably my favorite match of P4.

hyro - cool, cool, cool dude. was awesome hanging out with you for the weekend, we'll miss you up here!

malcolm - was cool finally meeting you, we gotta play more. i don't care what you say, i hate that MU! @_@

poyo - i'm done with defending you, don't speak to me again, ever

also everybody at sassy's house before pound (and especially to ninjalink for killing with rob's laser):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWVhS-V-eU#t=01m43s

also can we like, redirect this rulechange discussion or something? a thread meant for bringing closure and results shouldn't be used as the medium for discussion regarding regulations, right?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
100 ledge grab limit PER TEAM IN DOUBLES, 50 ledge grab limit in singles
12 MINUTE TIMER- Yes I realize what the outcome could be of this, but adding another 4 minutes should almost assure us the time does not run out.
i see the point of both of these rules together, but i think it would just be much easier to include an addendum in the ruleset that classifies planking as stalling and that it is subject to judge's ruling, just like any other form of stalling. there are ways to easily run the timer out and play super defensively without resorting to regrabbing the ledge over and over. if you want to put a stop to planking and not mess up characters that legitimately need to regrab the ledge often, this is the best solution *imo*.

Smashville, FD, and BF as the only neutrals, YI and Lylat as CP
really dislike this, diddy and ICs get even stronger and you have almost no variety when it comes to stage selection in the most important match of the set.
Rainbow Cruise banned, Distant Planet legal
iduno about this. are pictochat/pokemon stadium 2/japes legal?

what about air release "infinites" on wario? those take absolutely forever and rely on only pummel damage. it's almost like stalling.

idk, i just saw the post and had some questions/comments.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
DK mains need to work on secondaries. The ability to play more than one character adds to your skill as a smasher, which is what is being judged in tournies. If you can only play one character who has a major weakness that you can't make up for, that's your fault as a smasher.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
For the record, I made the decision to be best of 5

From now on when I'm TOing an event, I'll make the rules for it, that simple

Overswarm

is laughing at you
tell that to DK mainers. they will love u for sure. :)
I'll tell them this:

DK mains need to work on secondaries. The ability to play more than one character adds to your skill as a smasher, which is what is being judged in tournies. If you can only play one character who has a major weakness that you can't make up for, that's your fault as a smasher.
and also call them noobs

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
honestly the fact that IC infinites are legal and other infinites are banned is absolutely stupid. especially since IC can CG EVERYONE whereas marth/DDD can only do it to certain characters. the degree of difficulty of a tactic should have nothing to do with whether or not it should be banned or legal.

i know if i run brawl tournies ill either allow everything or ban everything. picking and choosing based on difficulty isnt really fair.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
what about air release "infinites" on wario? those take absolutely forever and rely on only pummel damage. it's almost like stalling.
...You can't be serious.

It's called a set-up. Who the **** has ever had the intention of stalling by grab releasing a Wario? And if so...boo hoo, a whole five seconds down the drain. Dear lord...

iRJi

Smash Champion
False, but at the same time true. The issue with this, as I bring up in every debate amount anything in smash, is that brawl is a game of CP'ing. When Melee players ***** and complain about brawl I tend to laugh because I think they are oblivious about the flaws in their own game. It is almost depressing to see such stupidity in a human, actually. Brawl isn't melee, and it is time to say that people just need to deal with it. They are 2 completely different games.

To stay on track, this game is all about CP'ing. Covering your options to give yourself the least amount of flaws possible is what makes this game very unique. It is a game of chess with a twist. The issue I have with this, and I don't want a MK rant from reading this going on, is that you have a character that falls out of the terms of being properly CP'ed accordingly. With a character that's worse option is a 50:50 MU, it is what unbalances the game as of right now imo. I personally am not worrying about MK as of right now, I am just stating the truth behind it all. So for your post to be valid, you must first find a way to fix the issue I have above, because of right now, it is almost invalid because the CP system is flawed. Fix is issue, then you can repost this as a true statement.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I think infinites should be legal up to 150%, meaning if you deal over 150% in the infinite lock, you must release them

Also, the suicide rule stays, Dedede should never win for that BS, i shouldn't have to time him out, same with kirby, wario etc. when the other player has dominated that match, he shouldn't be forced to time his opponent out. My rule gives incentive to approach.

I think I'll use bolts ruleset at my next brawl tourney, with some slight modifications.

Rajam

Smash Champion
For the record, I made the decision to be best of 5

From now on when I'm TOing an event, I'll make the rules for it, that simple
Hey Tantalus, I know this is a burden but... could you upload the results in AiB? I'd like to see the detailed results in pools... Also, which were the payouts?
Thanks in advance

KageMurphy

Smash Master
I'm not coming to a tourny with stupid *** rules, things are pretty much fine as is, I mean DP n not RC? That's a joke. The whole time out thing is up for debate but I promise I will try and time out every match if its 12 minutes just for lulz D; Lol, most matches don't end in time out anyway, Ksizzle n M2K are just gayyyyy xD

If one infinite is legal then they all should be, being able to kill nana doesn't mean ****, for real

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
brawl singles:

1st:1350
2nd:750
3rd:450
4th:200
5th:75
5th:75
7th:50
7th:50

Brawl Doubles:

1st: 800
2nd :400
3rd:240
4th:80
5th:40
5th:40

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I think infinites should be legal up to 150%, meaning if you deal over 150% in the infinite lock, you must release them

Also, the suicide rule stays, Dedede should never win for that BS, i shouldn't have to time him out, same with kirby, wario etc. when the other player has dominated that match, he shouldn't be forced to time his opponent out. My rule gives incentive to approach.

I think I'll use bolts ruleset at my next brawl tourney, with some slight modifications.
Ok so D3 infinite's are legal now? Ok, Boss will never win another tourney because he will get standing infinited. He chooses Mario/Luigi, I Cp D3. One grab=Stock. I can do the standing infinite with D3. It's so easy. Hahahahaah.

And I agree all infinites should be legal regardless. The Pikachu infinite on Wolf is already alegal. The Sheik tilt lock to Usmash is already legal. The ledge infinite with D3 on Wolf is already legal. I feel this change in rules doesn't affect me in the slightest bit. Now I just need to pick up D3 for Samus, Bowser, Dk, Mario, Luigi, and himself.

COOL BEANS.

Oh and Distant planet=LOL. Choose Yoshi and camp that side that has a walk off cg. GG. Pictochat is fun stage to choose. I love Rainbow Cruise and will always cp that stage.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I'm not coming to a tourny with stupid *** rules, things are pretty much fine as is, I mean DP n not RC? That's a joke. The whole time out thing is up for debate but I promise I will try and time out every match if its 12 minutes just for lulz D; Lol, most matches don't end in time out anyway, Ksizzle n M2K are just gayyyyy xD

If one infinite is legal then they all should be, being able to kill nana doesn't mean ****, for real
Killing nana so the infinite is not possible doesn't mean anything? How?????

Infact, your just proving to me that this is the exact reason why it should be allowed. IC's have a flaw in the CG's and because of that it can be stopped by player control. The other infinite's in this game can't. That is all of enough reason to ban D3's lol.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
...You can't be serious.

It's called a set-up. Who the **** has ever had the intention of stalling by grab releasing a Wario? And if so...boo hoo, a whole five seconds down the drain. Dear lord...
it should be addressed, regardless. functionally it's the same thing with waaaaay less damage.

Top Bottom