• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*pound* 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Even if that's true that's not fair at all to everyone who won money. That's called being selfish and lying. Everyone has a risk when they go to a tourney or host it. The host might make money or lose money. The people going might make money or lose money. One person shouldn't be able to do whatever they want just because things don't go their way (even if that is the truth, that still isn't good enough). That's completely unfair to everybody else taking a risk, especially when they succeed and get nothing

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
id be pissed strictly from the fact that Plank isn't making himself available so people can get clarification. i see where Anti is coming from. and all of the facts point to a very clear point. actually, there are 3 facts that justify players being mad

1.) plank paid off a personal debt with money that was not his
2.) plank is not paying the players' (anytime soon, if at all)
3.) plank is intentionally making himself unavailable avoiding any clarity in the matter

jon is my friend. but no matter what the real scenario or situation is those 3 facts are irrefutable

and it's enough to piss anyone off if they're directly affected by it

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
id be pissed strictly from the fact that Plank isn't making himself available so people can get clarification. i see where Anti is coming from. and all of the facts point to a very clear point. actually, there are 3 facts that justify players being mad

3.) plank is intentionally making himself unavailable avoiding any clarity in the matter

jon is my friend. but no matter what the real scenario or situation is those 3 facts are irrefutable

This. so **** off Laijinanewb and other plank's ****riders. WE NEED A WORD

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Um. yes.
Saying 'it was already agreed upon' is meaningless.
Just because that's how things are generally done, doesn't mean that's how they'll always play out. Ideally yes the tournament fee's would have gone to the winners, but obviously that situation didn't play out as intended. There was nothing signed or 'agreed' upon saying that that's exactly the way the funds were going to be distributed.
I payed for a service. Just because there was no contract, doesn't mean that the service shouldn't be delivered. If I go to a car wash, and they took my car through the procedures, but at the end, my car still came out dirty, I would consider the service unfulfilled.

When I pay tournament entry fee, part of that payment INCLUDES the tournament prizes being distributed. I have purchased this service. I don't sign a contract for every service I purchase.

Also, it would be virtually impossible for organizers to run stuff if there wasn't an underlying level of trust that the organizer would not steal the pot. To imply that everyone should sign a contract for it is exaggerated, but I guess maybe we should do it that way.

Basically I'm saying that even though what plank did was a mistake, the players based it all on good faith, and nothing more. They assumed that that was how things were going to play out, nothing was set in stone as to how the funds were to be distributed, it was just based off of how things are generally done.
We did not bother clarifying because these things are understood. If I go to a car was, I do not clarify to the car wash owners that I expect them to take my car through their washers, and not just take it for a joy ride in the rain, because these things are understood, and this is the way the service is commonly done.

I don't remember any mention of the pot or how it would be distributed, sure that's how things usually are, but it's not like this is the first time something like this has happened, not saying this is to be expected from tournaments now, but it's always been a possibility. If you're allocating more funds than you care to spend into going to something like this and planning on receiving money back through placing well in the tournament you might want to be crystal clear on how exactly things are being handled.

Uh, either way, he did not have to refund people's money, he did it because generally he's a good guy. That's why I mentioned it.

He can't force people to pre-reg rooms online. Regging for the tournament and regging for the hotel are seperate things, plank had it on good faith that people would be staying at the venue cause that's all he could do.

Generally & ideally yes, but **** hit the fan and it didn't play out that way. There is nothing written down about how tournament funds should always be distributed. Some tournaments have venue fee's, some tourneys dip into the pot to pay for the venue, in this case both happened.

A contract to state exactly how funds are going to be distributed among the tournament expenses, and prize winnings. As well as behavior, conduct, tardiness, etc. whilst being in the tournament venue.

Well yes, exactly, but this wasn't the intention of plank or any TO. I'm just saying if a contract was made and signed by players they would have something to stand on as far as what happened here. If they signed something stating that their venue fee was going to pay for the expenses of the venue, and that the tournament fee was going directly and explicitly to the winners of the tournament, then there would be absolutely no ****storm. Plank would be ****ed, in the hole $x,xxx, the winners would have their winnings, and there would probably be donation threads for plank.

I am 20

'This means', why does that mean that. Where did it state that that is what would happen, you assumed it.

Not saying it does (though I refuse to call it stealing), but the community does need to be called out on this.

Plank himself said that he saw people cramming rooms, if he were an ******* he could have informed the hotel staff and had people kicked out. But he didn't. Plank took us as his responsibility. You can link it directly from us to the hotel but in reality we ****ed over plank, and ourselfs, by doing this. If the hotel looked to us instead of plank to pay for the debt than the winners would get paid, but that's not the case because we were planks responsibility.

Will not happen.
I'll get to the rest of this later, I have to go atm.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

Best post i have ever seen in my entire life

ANTi_

Smash Hero
So, Plank is moving across the country i hear from Hax...

Laijin

Smash Hero
wow im done. Clearly whatever side you're on, you're not going to change your mind. Its pretty dumb to argue with people who just ignore your argument and restate the same facts over and over again without intelligently addressing the points you made and moving on with new points.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
So, Plank is moving across the country i hear from Hax...

Yeah he's moving to West Coast. I wonder with what money though!

PLANK TALK TO US NOW, YOU ARE VIEWING THIS THREAD.
relax. apparently, he had planned to move to WC way before Pound 5. now as such he cannot.

i said u guys have the right to be mad. not to be silly. work with the facts and do what you can on your own until Plank finally turns up.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 18 (16 members and 2 guests)
GMMA ANTi, AllyKnight, Twilight Prince, puu, RATED, FrootLoop, Ref, JJROCKETS, (Lux), Zephy, Plairnkk, CO18, BetaBahamut, Pierce7d

Ughm... Speak?

The King

Smash Ace
I love how Plank is receiving support for his actions in terms of "Well, nowhere did he explicitly state how the funds collected for this tournament would be appropriated, so he has every right to divvy them as he personally sees fit." As many before me have stated, this is assumed to be a tight-knit, morally-bound community. If precedents like this are supported & condoned, you guys are really opening yourselves up to a huge ****storm when future TO's begin to disregard their better judgment while attempting to create a hyped-up national event, with the understanding that by using a little selective omission of information and shady wordplay, they can get away with what Plank has just orchestrated.

Legally, could Plank do what he has done? In a sense, yes, due to the complete absence of contractual obligations and (apparently) even lingo discussing the event's proposed payout percentages. While the community knows the number of entrants, he never stated what that payout percentage would be. I suppose there's still the potential argument that because he ran an AM bracket and provided payouts for that, it could be extrapolated that every event which included an explicit entry fee would be due tournament winnings, but that's not my department lol.

Morally, though, it sets an outraging precedent that truly should be supported nor condoned by anybody.

I for one, feel terrible for Plank. He really went out there with the best of intentions to give this community what he felt it deserves; one last grand finale of an event to cap his tournament franchise. However, if I had to narrow it down to one individual feeling, it would be pity.

Pity that either 1.) He whole-heartedly believed that the smash community, comprised primarily of poor adolescents, could afford to fill seven dozen rooms of such high-caliber hotel for three days as the one he affiliated his tournament with, or 2.) That in such a panic to deliver an amazing tournament, he rushed or was pressured into signing himself into such a ridiculous goddamn deathtrap of a contract with the hotel that only in hindsight could be truly realize what he's done. I won't even begin to get into how stupid of him it was to grossly overestimate the number of potential attendants.

But feeling bad for somebody does not always mean they don't deserve to reap what they've sown. Hell, I feel bad for the convicted every time I read a story about somebody receiving the death penalty, even if I believe that their actions warrant it (just an example, don't read into this lol). Plank, as a sole entity, decided to host and organize this tournament. With unbelievably bad judgment in more than one area of his planning, he dug himself into a financial deathtrap, and in so doing he robbed dozens of players of their tournament winnings. *PLANK*'s judgment, mind you, in running a personal event, dug himself into debt with the hotel. This isn't "the community's" debt, or "unforseen tournament expenses" (even though the latter would be more understandable), this is Plank ****ing up BIGTIME and robbing the finest competitors of our community of their rightful winnings.

Morally, he's got no goddamn right to rob the community to pay for his mistakes... The only hitch in my disdain of this whole situation is knowing that anyone else would have done the same to save themselves in the short-term. And **IF** Plank would actually show his face to this community again and promise to someday reimburse the prize money, I would be standing behind him 100% in what he did, simply because I would hate to hear of somebody be so financially decimated simply because of their overzealous love for our community.

...As a side note, we're going to be pretty damn explicit as to where your money's going for Genesis-II lol, and that 100% of the tournament fees will be divvied right back out to the event winners. Also, that all of the money that comes in during signups will be placed in an industrial-sized freezer until Sunday... so you know that your winnings will be as cold & hard as cash comes, rofl.

-King Out

Hax

Smash Champion
i'll post this here since some mod locked my thread

i am positive pound 5 was a conspiracy. i just don't believe that melee's biggest TO would be stupid enough to solidify a deal whose success is entirely dependent on faith placed in the attendants. rumors that he's moving across the country don't make his case any better, either. hats off to plank for not mentioning anything about paying money to the winners in the pound 5 thread; we overlooked this and never saw it coming. it was genius, and because of it i don't see any of you guys beating him in court

that said, i'm not angry about my monetary loss in the least bit. i wasn't even surprised when plank dropped the bomb on us; i'd seen it coming for almost a week. his unresponsiveness on smashboards/AIM made it pretty obvious. regardless, the time i had at pound 5 was worth way more than the ~$300 i'm owed. anyone who came to room 517 should know what i'm talking about. and i hope everyone else (winners included) had just as good of a time; the place was basically a smasher's haven. the venue was inside the hotel, food was within walking distance, i brought my vaporizer, and the best players in the world were there. how much more can you ask for?

whether or not plank cares at this point, his tournament series has given us something to look forward to almost every year and means a lot to me. at pound 3 my crew and i made a name for ourselves, climaxing with me and jman's victory over chu and chillin. pound 4 was the biggest melee tournament of all time. and at pound 5 i finally overcame my tendency to choke at nationals and ended up doing a great job. as you can see it's REALLY hard for me to hate the guy that's brought me all these priceless memories, though at the same time i'm disgusted that they've all become tied to the biggest scandal in smash history.

as dumb as this sounds, i still believe plank has had a positive impact on our community. i understand that he is a criminal and i'm not trying to justify what he did in any way; i just hope that none of you guys forget how amazing the pound series was and that as a community we forget about this disaster.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Will not happen.
Plank should and could totally get arrested for this. It is a shame but the majority is probably right when they say that this wouldn't hold up in court, but Plank broke his contract with over 200 people. Contracts don't have to be written to be legally binding, the Tournament thread and his subsequent actions are probably enough to have the ******* arrested.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Date of Birth
May 7, 1994 (16)

Hax, I really don't take any credence in what you are saying. I just think you are having an easier time that it was a conspiracy moreover than he got bum**** from the hotel. You can always call the hotel to see what the cost was.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Plank should and could totally get arrested for this. It is a shame but the majority is probably right when they say that this wouldn't hold up in court, but Plank broke his contract with over 200 people. Contracts don't have to be written to be legally binding, the Tournament thread and his subsequent actions are probably enough to have the ******* arrested.
Nope.
You're living in a dream world kid.
Thats not how the real world works.

LLDL

Smash Hero