• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*pound* 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hax

Smash Champion
Date of Birth
May 7, 1994 (16)

Hax, I really don't take any credence in what you are saying. I just think you are having an easier time that it was a conspiracy moreover than he got bum**** from the hotel. You can always call the hotel to see what the cost was.
having an easier time? the LAST thing i want to believe is that p5 was a conspiracy; it doesn't feel good to have your most memorable tournament series tarnished. unfortunately plank looks unbelievably suspicious when not only does he not mention payouts in the OP, but now he's moving to california.

don't you understand that he could argue in court that there was never a cash tournament? good luck arguing against that without a written contract

once against i hope this isn't the case. just understand that plank (if he's being honest) has made himself look extremely suspicious

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Aziz, Plank was planning on moving to WC before P5 even happened, it wasn't a sudden thing. That's why he said "this is the last Pound" because he'd be over in WC and had even thought about possibly/maybe starting a new series over there.

Pi

Smash Hero
Hax, he announced his move to cali like at the same time he announced pound, that's the reason why it was his last tournament because he wanted P5 to be an EC/VA thing, and with him in cali he wasn't going to host any more *POUND*'s.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
having an easier time? the LAST thing i want to believe is that p5 was a conspiracy; it doesn't feel good to have your most memorable tournament series tarnished. unfortunately plank looks unbelievably suspicious when not only does he not mention payouts in the OP, but now he's moving to california.

don't you understand that he could argue in court that there was never a cash tournament? good luck arguing against that without a written contract

once against i hope this isn't the case. just understand that plank (if he's being honest) has made himself look extremely suspicious
Well, If he goes to Cali, I'm sure he's easy enough to find. No one gives fair warning on where they are going if they are trying to hide.

Also, you have 200+ witnesses. Lol. The point I am making is, if the top 8/4 and brawl and melee wanna press, then they can. But, Plank is broke.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Probably improper timing.....but

@Hax - I FREAKING LOVE YOU! <33 (YES HOMO)

Hi Elvis :p

also Elvis ^Hax plays pokemon competetively (just like me) like near exactly ><;;

random rant sorry..

on the subject of Pound:
*sigh* I don't exactly know what we can do to get over this, or even if people can get over it, but I have faith in the smash community. It's indeed wrong that the mistake was made.. etc, hopefully more of a "learning lesson" has been learned from Plank, rather than the negative thoughts toward him... Now I guess I don't have a "true saying" since I didn't place anyway.. but just on the thoughts towards the players, in the long run, i'm hoping this is something we can all learn/grow from ya know?

idk ^ just posting random thoughts idk.. >>:

Hax

Smash Champion
vman!! :)

and guys, that's why i called it a conspiracy, not a last-minute decision. who's to say plank's move wasn't a part of the plan as well? all i know is moving + not responding to people after being involved in a major scandal = suspicious. no need for me to post anymore; that's my opinion

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
i just think plank should show some kind proof

like the hotel statement, venue statement

****in something

words only go so far

plus its hard to take somebody's word when you just got ****ed over hundreds/thousands of dollars

u can say all the sorry's in the world and how much u feel bad or what u intended to do with the money

but *****s ain't trying to hear that ****

especially since its ur responsibility anyway

if he prolly show the winners some kind receipt or something

or maybe talk about a payment plan in writing

they could prolly work somethin out

and yea i feel him on paying the hotel > the people to pay

and there was not as many entrants

bottom line

that don't mean ****

i mean i feel bad him for but real talk

he still gotta pay what he owe

point blank

yea the dude ran amazing *** tournaments for years on end

and he made a mistake

but that still no excuse tho

thats his mistake

not the winners

no one told him to do what he did how he did it

whats seems more frustrating to me is not that he ****ed up

but he said sorry and dipped LOL

gotta take them consequences my dude

its only right

but didnt win **** or go anywhere, so who am i to talk

Pi

Smash Hero
wtf @ 3...this guy is delusional. w/e, from now on people just need to use ran's contract at tourneys

http://img.imgcake.com/smashIOUpngyj.png
Delusional?
I've been screwed over before, 'loaned' money/material possessions to people with the intention of receiving equal compensation, and had it not happen.

But I always make sure that the thing that I'm loaning is not something that I would be ****ed without. I don't spend beyond my means or count on something that is not concrete.

Both plank and the players suffering from not receiving their winnings made that mistake.

LLDL

Smash Hero
What timing. I mentioned that I was from smashboards a few days before this in an effort to seal in a venue to host a tourney. They better not look at this and be like, "that ***** is trying to pull a fast one" LOL

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Delusional?
I've been screwed over before, 'loaned' money/material possessions to people with the intention of receiving equal compensation, and had it not happen.

But I always make sure that the thing that I'm loaning is not something that I would be ****ed without. I don't spend beyond my means or count on something that is not concrete.

Both plank and the players suffering from not receiving their winnings made that mistake.
********, so you're saying players just shouldn't enter tourneys at all? Are you sleeping with Plank?

Stratford

Smash Champion
According to this article:
"There's just one problem. Most of us can't be above average. By its definition, average is the mathematical median, so the majority can't be either above or below average."

Wrong.

By its definition, average is the mathematical mean, so the majority can be either above or below average.

Silly article. Math is not for everyone.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wow im done. Clearly whatever side you're on, you're not going to change your mind. Its pretty dumb to argue with people who just ignore your argument and restate the same facts over and over again without intelligently addressing the points you made and moving on with new points.
Internet arguements happen all the ****ing time, espcially on this website.

the above quote applies to both sides of every single arguement here ever.
when has ever side ever concided?
when has an arguement here ever achieved anything?
its just two sides argueing an opinion, then it degrades into nonsense **** like, "I've adressed every single one of your points, but you havnt adressed mine" when in fact both sides HAVE adressed each other, but neither side gives a ****.

dont you love the internet?

Pi

Smash Hero
3 got his pound mm money from plank. . . hmmm
I did what now? I MM'd his shiek and his marth and we were gonna do jiggs but I wanted to take a break before such a boring matchup. I beat his marth he beat me w/ shiek.

********, so you're saying players just shouldn't enter tourneys at all? Are you sleeping with Plank?
I feel stupid even responding to you, since half the **** you post is blunt, ignorant, and most likely troll.

But no, that is not what I'm saying, I'm saying that if you can't afford to go to a tournament unless you win, then don't ****ing go. I'm sure you saw my MM thread, I was prepared to pay out each and every MM that I lost, and I did. If I didn't have the cash on me then I told the people and we didn't play right then because I didn't want to owe any body money. The only exception to this was Linguini, I told him I don't have the cash on me he said w/e don't really care about it let's play. He won, if he decides he needs the money then he can hit me up.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
so im reading plaink did not pay people wow

so happy i did not come because of what he did to me last pound looks like **** did not change

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
thats ****ing crazy that happend to me at fast 1 where the guy lied about the prize it deff hurts when your missing like 400$ when u really need it hope the people that won money get there money soon

but now u guys can be like me and never go to 1 of planks tourneys ever again =)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
So 3, you're honestly saying to me right now that the tournament organizer is not obligated to pay out the winnings, because once I payed him the entry fee, that money is his, and paying out winnings is optional?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I don't understand these posts that sugar-coat him as a person. If he was truly a good person, he would find a way to resolve this instead of running from his problems.

Yes, he worked hard to make the event possible, but that doesn't mean he should be excused. He ****ed up, and what's most disappointing to me is that international players actually came to this tournament and we were supposed to represent ourselves as a country. This wasn't how it should have went down at Pound 5.
where did he ever imply that he's running? you're trying to make him out to be a villain when he's really just a normal person who made a string of mistakes, and is doing what he can to dig himself out of his own hole.

Also as a disclaimer I do not know him personally, nor have I ever even talked to the guy. I'm just taking an objective approach to this situation, unlike people like you who are only adding fuel to the fire.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
thats ****ing crazy that happend to me at fast 1 where the guy lied about the prize it deff hurts when your missing like 400$ when u really need it hope the people that won money get there money soon

but now u guys can be like me and never go to 1 of planks tourneys ever again =)
You're acting extremely childish. Be a good kid, do the community a favor, and never enter another tournament again. We don't need ****ty people like you.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I must say the validation of this is insane lol. I can't believe some of the supporters of this ****...
We're not trying to validate anything. He made several huge mistakes and now everybody is paying, himself and Armada more than anybody. We're not saying Plank should not have to pay, but what we ARE saying that it is impossible to procure the amount of money he owes in such a short amount of time.

We're ALSO trying to keep people from speculating about things that obviously aren't there.

Pi

Smash Hero
So 3, you're honestly saying to me right now that the tournament organizer is not obligated to pay out the winnings, because once I payed him the entry fee, that money is his, and paying out winnings is optional?
I'm saying that while it's generally the norm, no where did he state that he would be paying a specific amount out to the top placing people in the tournament.

It was his intention to do so, but things fell through, and he was not able to.

So no, he is not obligated to pay these people, he was however obligated to pay the hotel, which he did.

I am not saying this is right, he should have planned better, obviously
And don't throw any BS my way about how TO's in the future are just gonna pocket money, we all know that's not the case

I'm saying that when **** hit the fan he did what any one of us would do.

Granted most of us would not have been put in that position initially, what I am wondering is how long before the event was underway was plank locked into that contract w/ the hotel.

illboyzeus

Smash Ace
I mean it seems like he knew it would end up like this for a while tho, I'm not saying he pocketed the money or anything but it was still mad shady. He also has not said anything about repaying them. Then you have some of these geniuses who believe that it is to the TO's discretion as to whether to the pay the winners or not. What the hell?

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
you're acting extremely childish. Be a good kid, do the community a favor, and never enter another tournament again. We don't need ****ty people like you.
lol

get good at the game then talk to me like that

hurry up and post back im bored

Laijin

Smash Hero
Chibo's math has already proven to be pretty potentially inaccurate in several posts. Theres a ton of unknown costs that would make his "unaccounted for" money seem like nothing.
We won't know the truth until plank comes out and says it himself, etc etc

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm saying that while it's generally the norm, no where did he state that he would be paying a specific amount out to the top placing people in the tournament.

It was his intention to do so, but things fell through, and he was not able to.

So no, he is not obligated to pay these people, he was however obligated to pay the hotel, which he did.

I am not saying this is right, he should have planned better, obviously
And don't throw any BS my way about how TO's in the future are just gonna pocket money, we all know that's not the case

I'm saying that when **** hit the fan he did what any one of us would do.

Granted most of us would not have been put in that position initially, what I am wondering is how long before the event was underway was plank locked into that contract w/ the hotel.
Let's keep this simple, so we don't argue in circles.

You agree that the money does not belong to Plank
You agree that the money does belong to the winners.
How can you justify Plank spending their winnings to pay off the venue debt?

Chibo's math has already proven to be pretty potentially inaccurate in several posts. Theres a ton of unknown costs that would make his "unaccounted for" money seem like nothing.
We won't know the truth until plank comes out and says it himself, etc etc
I agree with this actually. I do not believe Plank intended to pocket the winnings for his own personal use from the get-go.

Pi

Smash Hero
Let's keep this simple, so we don't argue in circles.

You agree that the money does not belong to Plank
You agree that the money does belong to the winners.
How can you justify Plank spending their winnings to pay off the venue debt?
I am not saying it was right in every sense of the word
But the hotel needed payment immediately, and plank made the right decision by abiding by his contract and paying them off. He needed to or he faced some seriously legal or financial backlash.

After this he was not left with any money to hand to the winners. Are you implyinig that he should have forsaken his contract w/ the hotel and instead handing the money to the winners and either taken out a loan for 9k which incurs interest or just tried to dip from his responsibilities to the hotel?

He made the same decision any one of us would have made, not saying that it wasn't poor planning, but at this point in time he does not have extra cash to hand out to the winners of a video game tournament. And if you choose to believe what he said about his financial situation, then he isn't making very much extra money, at least not enough to pay thousands of dollars to some teenagers who won his event.

And you keep calling it stealing, but that's an exaggeration.

It's no surprise to me that the people who yell "stealing!" over and over tend to be those who have little to no experience running tournaments. First of all, if anything, Plank would be guilty of breach of contract, and not theft. Now it's not like Plank had 2 boxes labelled "venue payment" and "prizes" and took earmarked money from the prize box to pay off the venue. I was one of the co-head TOs for Genesis, and I can tell you that what happens is, you simply have one lump sum of money, and you have two debts. Your first obligation is to the venue. If you understand this, then you understand that it makes absolutely no sense to say there was any kind of "theft." People saying that Plank "stole" or "scammed/fooled" people apparently just make up their own story of how tournaments are run in their minds. You guys need to stop repeating your uninformed arguments over and over again, and consider the points that other people are making.

Now, what you CAN say happened is that Plank failed to fulfill a promise to pay prizes. I don't know if there is a LEGAL basis for that, but there is a moral basis. Did Plank **** up? Yes, but you have to look at it for what it is - he didn't get the attendance or rooms reserved that he expected, and that caused him to be unable to pay prizes from the entry fee money, and nothing more. Certainly something should be done about that, but again, the situation has to be looked at for what it is.
Prizes come after expenses are paid. If plank had any money left over that would have gone to the winners, but he didn't due to poor planning of the event. Any time a smash event is held at a venue there is a cost of using that venue. It use to be we would just dip into the pot, TIO even has a feature to dip into the pot to pay for the venue or host expenses or whatever. Now instead of that we've changed that to a venue fee but that is heavily dependent upon attendance. He didn't steal anything, we all got to enter the tournament and enter the venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom