• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Jonas

Smash Champion
it is actually very similar to yours

a nature element + a smash character
KirbyKaze sounds kinda cool. It has a unique ring to it.
Flaming Roy sounds like someone who made an account in 2003 and disappeared for good after asking questions on the forum once in a while for a few months.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
KirbyKaze sounds kinda cool. It has a unique ring to it.
Flaming Roy sounds like someone who made an account in 2003 and disappeared for good after asking questions on the forum once in a while for a few months.
yes, you may be right

i was just pointing out the similarity

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Thanks a lot for all of your advice, Bones. It was quite insightful and interesting. Will keep all of those things in mind and start applying them. Especially movement wise. I feel there's probably a lot I could do with WD'ing OOS vs Puff, and it's something I really need to explore.

Will post the next set I have with Oskar in tourney and maybe the progress will be noticeable. ^^

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
So I found out I've had a bacterial infection for the past two and a half weeks.

...This pretty much explains why I've been playing like complete *** recently. I've been watching my vids from this month, and it does not look like I'm the one playing at all. My choices overall are just baffling me at how stupid I'm playing.

...I think I have at least a small understanding of how PP feels when he's sick. I sure as hell know what it's like to play TCGs with a high fever. I've made some of the biggest mistakes of my life running a moderately high fever, including missing top cut at a SJC for those who are familiar with competitive YGO.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What affects vertical KB? I know gravity comes into play, but idk how. Oh, it multiplies KB. I'm dumb. Also, would Falco's shine BKB being multiplied make it easier to shine people off the top? Also also, when does the window of reduced weight begin and end (is it only on frames where they are charging)?
yes

only on charge frames

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
So I found out I've had a bacterial infection for the past two and a half weeks.

...This pretty much explains why I've been playing like complete *** recently. I've been watching my vids from this month, and it does not look like I'm the one playing at all. My choices overall are just baffling me at how stupid I'm playing.

...I think I have at least a small understanding of how PP feels when he's sick. I sure as hell know what it's like to play TCGs with a high fever. I've made some of the biggest mistakes of my life running a moderately high fever, including missing top cut at a SJC for those who are familiar with competitive YGO.
that sucks dude :(
What KK said. Sorry to hear that, man. I know i'll probably regret asking, but how/where did you get the infection?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
A. I have no idea where/how I got the infection. Likely from school, since my vocational school has about 400 people, and there's about 120% occupancy at the dorm due to various reasons.

B. I was one turn away from top cutting SJC Phoenix (top 16 at the time) with Crystal Beast, losing in time when I had game the following turn. What happened was that in a moment of stupidity, I discarded Rainbow Ruins with Lightning Vortex, which would have netted me the victory on my last turn. For the smash players, this is basically the equivalent of placing in the money at a national with a low tier. The prizes at the time were also much better than most Melee payouts. Game system, a display box of packs, and if you made top 4, you got a card worth a little under a grand. Typically people could sell their winnings for about $800-$1000 just for placing top 4.

C. Since I finally have antibiotics, I should be fine within a few days. It's looking like I'll likely be feeling normalish by my next monthly which is this weekend LOL. Took personal leave today to make sure I get the rest I need. Slept for like 14 hours. :D

Bones0

Smash Legend
LMAO @ Stevo!

I will do a critique for you after I eat dinner, Ruby. Also, I posted this on the Fox boards, but this thread is cooler so lmk what you guys think:

You should never be afraid to do anything, honestly. Any amount of hesitation almost always leads to failure. I would just recommend going with the best course of action at 100% and either have it work or fail. If something tells you to approach and they keep WDing back, don't begin hesitating when you want to approach. This will probably only make it WORSE. What you have to do is figure out how to make your approach work or close space so that they are forced to approach from a bad position (usually bad meaning on the ledge, on a platform, etc.).

Almost any situation that makes you afraid to do something usually just means you haven't been exposed to that situation enough. I would panic a lot more if I got grabbed by a Falcon than if I got grabbed by a Marth because I have 100x more Marth experience. Even if Marth has an obviously better punish game on spacies from grabs, I am PREPARED to handle those punishes. I would be unprepared vs. Falcon, and I have a lot more hesitation about DI the throw, how to tech, and how to DI/jump out of the follow-ups.

Since you are scared in the neutral game when they are DDing, it means you aren't sure how they will approach/what they will use to approach, and thus, aren't sure what to do about it. I see this a lot in newer players. They get kicked in the face trying to move. They start holding shield to avoid SHFFLs and begin getting grabbed. They begin spot dodging/rolling to avoid grabs and start getting caught by their opponent just DDing until they shield/spot dodge/roll. Then after 30 minutes of this they go "WTF I can't do anything!" lol Instead of trying to predict what someone will be doing 1-2 seconds in the future (which is impossible in Melee), you have to be proactive with your decisions. The two main choices you can do in neutral are:
1. Space yourself so that your opponent's approaches won't work, or
2. Approach in a way that protects you from their own spacing/defensive options.

DDing and WDing, being the two major forms of spacing/movement, are the core of both options. In order to approach successfully, you need use them to bait out reactions (WDing/DDing back is a reaction to closing space) and space attacks so that you don't get shield grabbed and are able to capitalize properly on successful hits. In order to protect yourself from approaches, you need to be able space yourself so that they think they can hit you, but they can't either because you spaced yourself out of their range, yourself within shield grab range, etc.

Obviously just viewing Melee within the scope of two options is dumb, but it's the general framework within which I view details, and it's more and more blended the better you get. If you watch for this when it's two bad players playing, it's always SUPER obvious who is approaching and who is defending. With good players, the line gets so blended that there are times where it seems that both players are approaching each other or defending against each other at the same time. Someone good should elaborate/clarify on how spacing works at the top level.

TheLake

Smash Master
lol Why are you running lightning vortex in crystal beasts?

I would neeeever pitch ancient city thats like CB's best card...you must have been really desperate. I mean i know you said it was dumb but id really like to hear the details

pm plox as a fellow CB's player id like to hear your build and side deck

Aww bidoof is sooo cute

falco is cute too i guess

if you like planes

large metal

obnoxious planes

congrats at getting that far at SJC Though thats madd doope who won?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I def. agree with the aspect that you should never be scared about things.

Uh, if memory serves correctly either Adam or T won.

Beat!

Smash Master
Man, Crystal Beasts have always been so bad. Mad props for doing so well with them.

Well, I guess they had an "almost relevant"-period at some point but it sure as hell didn't last long.

crush

Smash Master
I def. agree with the aspect that you should never be scared about things.

Uh, if memory serves correctly either Adam or T won.
was this the arizona SJC from troop dupe format? i think thats the one where bryan rockenbach beat adam in t16 then lost in the finals to T. Adam has only won that SJC in teledad format iirc

D

Deleted member

you guys are all queers.

i prefer the fruits of the exotic woman.

bones i think your post is awful and incredibly troll for a ton of reasons. "I'm prepared for marth to autokill me"? get real.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
was this the arizona SJC from troop dupe format? i think thats the one where bryan rockenbach beat adam in t16 then lost in the finals to T. Adam has only won that SJC in teledad format iirc
That was the one, correct. My memory on who won was a little foggy. I was the second highest X-2 going in to the final round. I would came in at 15th or so assuming I didn't derp on my second to last turn. My losses were all x-0, or x-1 at that moment.

@Beat: There were two periods where they were tournament viable. First was during 2007 Troop-Dupe, the second was during ReturnDAD. Yay for Gimmicks. I've been telling people for a long time that if there was a level 2 or 3 CB tuner, they would be a legit threat. Too bad it will never happen. >:

@Umbreon: I am the omega queer. Fear my homo.

Bones0

Smash Legend
you guys are all queers.

i prefer the fruits of the exotic woman.

bones i think your post is awful and incredibly troll for a ton of reasons. "I'm prepared for marth to autokill me"? get real.
You can usually get out a multiple of ways unless they play like a ****ing robot (i.e. Mew2King, that name searching motha****a; come tell me to usmash OoS more, I keep forgetting!).

Mahone

Smash Champion
that was a really good post bones, i completely agree with it, i found most of my improvement came from not being afraid and hesitating, and instead just being really confident in whatever option i pick, then failing miserably until i know what the good options are....

you look stupid at first and you may end up combo video footage, but it beats not getting better for 10 years lol

Top Bottom