• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

giovannig22311

Smash Journeyman
i had a question if anyone could answer it, when you shine with falco and they DI it how do you chase them, when i waveshine to chase them it doesnt seem fast enough? i see pp and shiz chase them with no problem? do i wavedash outta shine run and wavedash like mix it up or is it im not fast enough with my wavedash???

:phone:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well first thing you have to keep in mind is they can only DI away in the direction you shined them. They will go left if you hit them with the left half of your shine, and they will go right if you hit them with the right half. Keeping that in mind, as soon as you shine them, look at which side of your shine you hit them with, then WD out of the shine in that direction. If they DI away from you, you simply dash out of the WD and you can jump into another dair shine, you can use some other aerial, or you can stay grounded and do something else. If they DI in towards you, they should still be close enough to hit as long as you waveshined in the correct direction. Just practice it vs. a level 1 Captain Falcon on FD and you should get the basic version of it down in no time. Then you can start adding little variations to implement more options like ending the combo with nair/fair -> fsmash or using falling single hit uair -> utilt.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Well first thing you have to keep in mind is they can only DI away in the direction you shined them. They will go left if you hit them with the left half of your shine, and they will go right if you hit them with the right half.
I just did the most ghetto a** test on my cube because I read this and thought "no way that's tru"

I used my feet and a controller to make a fox walk to the right towards me on FD. Using the controller in my hands as falco, I shined him using the left side of the shine. The fox dummy definitely DI'd to the right (like I was expecting). Same thing with situations reversed.

So...what do bones?

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure they can DI behind you and go horizontally a bit, but it's not as far as they could go if you're hitting with the other side of the shine.

I feel like there's also some momentum-related stuff involved that has to do with combos that I don't fully understand for that too.

I've been meaning to test this. I'll let people know what I find if someone else doesn't come up with a definitive answer on it first.

Bones0

Smash Legend
PP must be on to something with the whole momentum thing. I've thought that for a while too because it always seems like the second shine in the dair-shine iteration sends them a lot further than the first. I know when I aerial shine-dair people off the ledge with the front of my shine, only 2 things ever happen. They either DI off-stage and avoid the dair, or they DI in and go straight up into the dair. It's the same with shine-bairs. I make sure I hit them with the back of my shine because even if they DI away the bair still hits. If I hit with the front of my shine (and don't turn around), even if they DI in all the way the most I'm gonna hit them with is the weak part of the bair.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
gio this is what I was trying to show you at smym
if they DI the shine "away" they go farther from you than if they DI "in". However, which direction is "away" and which direction is "in" depends on what side of the shine they get hit by. Thats why you have to wavedash in the direction "away" to be able to react and follow all DIs.

bones I think that's because they're holding away and end up ASDIing the dair and getting hit by the tip of the shine so they're a bit farther away. That's why I try to SDI the dair when I'm getting pillared because sometimes the shine misses and you get out.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yes I leave in 4 hours for it LOOOL

Check out the Northwest Manifest stream guys, if I play how I wanna play, then you will see some good stuff. =p

Vaccine

Smash Journeyman
could i get some advice from anyone who has a decent amount of knowledge in the falco ditto matchup. i feel like im playing this wrong or not as well as i could be playing it. =/...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GYm5cyrXJE&feature=g-u-u&context=G285f4abFUAAAAAAAFAA

i know im playing this wrong(really wrong lol)!! if u feel like pointing out my flaws go for it but dont waste your life away by doing so lol. i feel like i need one or two solid pieces of advice for this matchup maybe more(idk). i use to be pretty good at this matchup then my training buddy bailed on me :c.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoXrT34MioY&feature=g-u-u&context=G230d9f5FUAAAAAAADAA

the only game worth critiquing me on is game 1(imo). game 2 was fun. i got ***** pretty hard game 3 lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7P2lbDfyyQ&feature=g-u-u&context=G26791f0FUAAAAAAACAA

if anyone was to critique anything i would prefer it be the first video i listed and then the second one and then the 3rd.
it has been a long time since ive have anything of mine critiqued so im really looking forward to reading what u guys have to say. i always appreciate it when someone shares their perspective with me and gives me some advice. i could really go for some fresh new ideas right now =).
Thank YOU!

giovannig22311

Smash Journeyman
gio this is what I was trying to show you at smym
if they DI the shine "away" they go farther from you than if they DI "in". However, which direction is "away" and which direction is "in" depends on what side of the shine they get hit by. Thats why you have to wavedash in the direction "away" to be able to react and follow all DIs.

bones I think that's because they're holding away and end up ASDIing the dair and getting hit by the tip of the shine so they're a bit farther away. That's why I try to SDI the dair when I'm getting pillared because sometimes the shine misses and you get out.
yea i kno but what im saying is that wen u shine and they DI away and they go flying can u chase them with a wavedash and Uair and keep the combos going?

:phone:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
PP must be on to something with the whole momentum thing. I've thought that for a while too because it always seems like the second shine in the dair-shine iteration sends them a lot further than the first. I know when I aerial shine-dair people off the ledge with the front of my shine, only 2 things ever happen. They either DI off-stage and avoid the dair, or they DI in and go straight up into the dair. It's the same with shine-bairs. I make sure I hit them with the back of my shine because even if they DI away the bair still hits. If I hit with the front of my shine (and don't turn around), even if they DI in all the way the most I'm gonna hit them with is the weak part of the bair.
Well when they DI away, and especially sdi, they go further. When they DI through you, (like opposite to the side that they were hit on) then obviously they don't go as far relative to your body position. Thats why shine dair works if they DI in but no away.

I don't know if there's some technical BS to explan this, but thats how it works in game fo sho my niiiggggs

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
could i get some advice from anyone who has a decent amount of knowledge in the falco ditto matchup. i feel like im playing this wrong or not as well as i could be playing it. =/...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GYm5cyrXJE&feature=g-u-u&context=G285f4abFUAAAAAAAFAA

i know im playing this wrong(really wrong lol)!! if u feel like pointing out my flaws go for it but dont waste your life away by doing so lol. i feel like i need one or two solid pieces of advice for this matchup maybe more(idk). i use to be pretty good at this matchup then my training buddy bailed on me :c.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoXrT34MioY&feature=g-u-u&context=G230d9f5FUAAAAAAADAA

the only game worth critiquing me on is game 1(imo). game 2 was fun. i got ***** pretty hard game 3 lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7P2lbDfyyQ&feature=g-u-u&context=G26791f0FUAAAAAAACAA

if anyone was to critique anything i would prefer it be the first video i listed and then the second one and then the 3rd.
it has been a long time since ive have anything of mine critiqued so im really looking forward to reading what u guys have to say. i always appreciate it when someone shares their perspective with me and gives me some advice. i could really go for some fresh new ideas right now =).
Thank YOU!
this is cute

JPOBS

Smash Hero
What's the competition in attendence at Northwest Manifest?

Is PP pretty much a shoe-in to win, or are serious threats gonna be there?

edit: Apparently Axe is going. That owuld be crazy to see in tournament, hasn't happened since pound 4.

Max?

Smash Champion
Zhu and Forward are probably the two most innovative falco's imo.
100% Agreed.

It's funny, PC told me that he always felt like Forward was the guy who innovated stuff, but that Chris was the person to actually implement it. A lot of the time PC would jokingly take credit for it when Forward was around just to piss him off lol.

Needless to say tho, because Chris always performed better, he had the spotlight. Props to forward

I ***** that ***** tho

Battlecow

Play to Win
There's good competish from Socal, scar might surprise us with that lean swag, and, of course, Axe.

But the hype ain't the same as it was when Javi and shroomed were coming. PP's preeeeeeetty much a shoe-in

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
free to PP.

the fight for 2-7 will be AMAZING though.
Fair enough.

I hope his falco isn't slack though after spending all that time on marth/falcon/whatever the hell he wants to beat on us with. Like I'm sure it's still beast but possibly less fluid than normal? Mango's falco seemed to do that after his character swapping but he probably doesn't practice as much as PP either.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, pp's probably in the lab too much with twitch for it to make a difference.

i'm actually looking forward to seeing what his marth does to WC just about as much as seeing what his falco does. i know he planned to accept all MM's, and i know he's got one at least against scar that should be interesting enough.

Mastermooseman

Smash Cadet
Why do i see Mango,Westballz, (and i think Zhu) and others use up-air with falco while recovering (from high). Is it to trick the eye or something or like make the body hitbox smaller?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I agree with that one, JPOBS. I've believed for a while that Zhu has the best style to learn from. Him and mango learned so much from each other, but mango's style is just too personal to emulate.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't think Mango's style is really all that unique or original. I just think he's the only one good enough to actually pull it off. My style has always been a similar sort of rush down type, but I'm not fast enough, don't read well enough, don't space well enough, and make too many mistakes for it to be anything other than sloppy. It's definitely a really unforgiving style, but Mango is living proof it can be as effective as any other style, if not more so.

Top Bottom