• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Is there ever a good time to be stuck in shine?
Sometimes in teams you can stall way up there if ever theres a need to wait for your ally. Or maybe sometimes mindgame something off-stage to bait... just wait in shine until the opponent goes off-stage then you can hit or something. lol. It's mainly for bait purposes for sure.

Black_jo

Smash Journeyman
Nono, if you want to be flashy, CHARGE the fsmash. Fsmash is really fast and you have time to charge it as they roll. (Though I still disapprove)

I swear I see the no charge fsmash read sometimes and it doesn't serve either purpose very well

edit: I suppose the walk -> no charge fsmash is useful if you think they'll run through you during invincibility though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QETXxyXEoA
at 7:23. It also make the opponent looks bad :embarrass:

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
today i was playing the irish mafia and he was shino stalling with sheik so i up-bd on stage and did that janky angle where you can get a turnaruond ledgegrab. for the win.

i ****.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
yeah i see so many falco's (even good ones) take damage or lose stocks because they jumped toward the opponent with a laser without considering the spacing.

straight8

Banned via Warnings
Probably sleeping or in school.. but always in GA
yeah i see so many falco's (even good ones) take damage or lose stocks because they jumped toward the opponent with a laser without considering the spacing.
maybe they just tried to make a read.. cant make too many generalizations about falcos trading laser for damage. like expecting a backwards roll and spacing their laser for that, then gettng hit because there was no roll.

Pi

Smash Hero
maybe they just tried to make a read.. cant make too many generalizations about falcos trading laser for damage. like expecting a backwards roll and spacing their laser for that, then gettng hit because there was no roll.
in most situations like that you'll find there is usually a better, safer, option to guess with

i think most falco's are just used to their lasers, for the most part, being such a controlling factor of the match that they get too comfortable with throwing them out

it's important to realize that even if a move is good, if it gets predicted it can be punished, lasers, shines, marth's fair, there are no exceptions

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It's kinda rare (as far as I've watched videos, anyways) that a shine gets punished...but nothing is safe in this game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there are 2 frames after the hitbox where both are stuck. then each have to go through 3 (fox) or 5 (falco) frames of jumpsquat where they are vulnerable. then unless they doubleshine or wavedash they're vulnerable in the air for at least 3 frames before their fastest aerials come out.

G

genkaku

if faster fingers made the better player then Peepee would be writing a Dark post right now.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
there are 2 frames after the hitbox where both are stuck. then each have to go through 3 (fox) or 5 (falco) frames of jumpsquat where they are vulnerable. then unless they doubleshine or wavedash they're vulnerable in the air for at least 3 frames before their fastest aerials come out.
Well, that's about 10 frames for Falco after shine, and 8 frames for Fox, assuming that they use their fastest aerial as soon as they possibly can. So, if Falco were to shine, and then do his fastest aerial, the opponent would have 1/6th of a second to react, I think. Hmmm. But can someone react to shine coming out and punish them in that ten frames, is what I want to know. That's like .1666 reaction time...

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Well, that's about 10 frames for Falco after shine, and 8 frames for Fox, assuming that they use their fastest aerial as soon as they possibly can. So, if Falco were to shine, and then do his fastest aerial, the opponent would have 1/6th of a second to react, I think. Hmmm. But can someone react to shine coming out and punish them in that ten frames, is what I want to know. That's like .1666 reaction time...
It's more of a general prediction. If you your opponent always aerials late or aerials early after the shine. You can sort of "time the grab" through their whole shffl sequence. IE you know when the shine is going to hit and you grab accordingly.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I had a nice post written up about punishing shine but then smashboards ate it.

So now, I'm just going to say that shine is punished all the time just by outspacing. You don't react to shine to punish it, you just account for the shine and outspace it. You see this all the time from sheik/marth/falcon techchases.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, accounting for shine certainly makes more sense than having .1666 reaction time...

Top Bottom