• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Divinokage

Smash Legend
If it means anything, I only really improve at this game when I re-work my tech skill, and go into hardcore practice mode, not when I re-work/attempt to rethink the player vs player. I just try to practice my mixups, and make sure that I can move the way I need to, so that everything else falls into place. So I can agree that the ability to be able to do the best thing when you need to (playing the game) is by far the most important thing. But if you know something will work, doesn't that imply confidence? If you're unsure all the time, I don't think you're going to do as well as when you are sure in everything you do.

But your point is that confidence comes from being able to play the game, and confidence in and of itself cannot bolster/improve your ability to play it (which is why ability trumps mindset).

But I'm low level, so what do I know.
You'll eventually know when you understand every single situation that can happen to you. But then you have to understand how every single players plays since they do have different habits so you'll need to bait different options to land hits. That's how top players gain speed, it's because there's nothing really unknown to them.

G

genkaku

I started building an iso with that matrix song as menutheme1 and cowboy bebop on dreamland and stuff. Haven't tested it yet.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Hi again guys!

I just played in a tournament yesterday and I was wondering if anyone felt like giving feedback on my play. A lot more footage was captured this time. I feel like my laser game is still lacking quite a bit, but I feel that I've applied my other technical elements a bit better. Still trying to refine my option selections, but that should come with experience.

ThatGuy (Falco) vs Kage (Ganon)

ThatGuy (Red Falco) vs Pikalex (Black Falco)

ThatGuy (Falco) vs Erayz (Fox)

ThatGuy (Red Falco) vs Mifune (Black Falco)

I'm not asking to watch all of them of course, but the most helpful set that could be critiqued would be the one against Erayz. I have a feeling this boils down to my laser play again.

For reference, this was the video that I had asked advice for from last month: ThatGuy (Falco) vs Mifune (Fox) crew battle

Cheers!
Bump for great justice.

unknown522

Some guy
Joel, I watched some of the games vs kage and as weird as this is going to sound, you were playing his game the whole set. Running into exactly where he wants to space most of the time, approaching in unsafe ways, hesitating on tech chases and even pressure. Vs his ganon especially, at first you kept trying to approach hit high SHFFL n-airs. It's not a bad idea, but you pick the wrong times to do it. You hit his shield a lot with it without crossing up on him. You should only approach with it if you're sure it's gonna hit, or if you're super close to him and want to cross up on the shield (though I don't recommend that but you can if you want).

Also this will sound more weird but you were trying to space yourself on him way too much. It looks like you were trying to hit the tip of your moves most of the time, but you are playing the wrong character for that. There are times to do it, but not all the time. You need to throw yourself into him and apply pressure on his shield, and also when he gets knocked down.

Because you keep trying to space, you keep missing chances to follow up combos even when you hit him. Also, that double jump d-air approach. You keep landing in front of him and he shield grabbed you a couple of times for it. It's gonna keep happening if you keep approaching like that.

In general, it looks like you are afraid of kage. Like really hesitant to approach him. Try your best to find a way to approach from the ground, or diagonally with the aid of platforms. Going directly above most likely will get you hit by something.

Vs Erayz:

Same as vs Kage which I forgot to mention, you miss a lot of moves that you throw out randomly. Sometimes they punish you for it and sometimes they don't. But you have to be careful cuz you're gonna get *****, especially when you're coming off the ledge doing that (which happened quite a bit in the vids).

Also, about the unsafe approaches: Look at your second stock vs erayz. You threw out a really early d-air which had no possible way to hit, unless he ran into it somehow. Then he shield grabbed you for it, then you got sorta gimped (kind of an SD). If you have plans to throw a move like that on a shield, you need to either retreat with it, or cross up on their shield (you still may get punished for crossing up depending on the character, but you at least won't get grabbed).

vs Mifune:

First off, doesn't he main fox? What happened?

But yeah, I watched the first 2 mins so far, and you keep dash attacking into his shield for some reason.
Watching further, he is out-pacing you with combos. Though it's mostly cuz you're not DIing them for some reason. You're also not comboing him, and tend to run away a lot and then trap yourself at the edge.

some ending notes:

- COMBOS! I don't think I saw you do a combo that did more than 25% other than vs pikalex. They are really easy with falco. Just practice on a computer or something and choose whichever combo you like the most.

- Aside from vs Pikalex, you almost never grab when they are standing in front of you when their shield it up.

- Also try to utilize crouch-cancel. There are a couple of times where you could've ***** erayz for some of his approaches/defense had you done it.

- React to missed techs if you can. You always wait for them when you knock them down. If you see them miss, then granted that you're close enough, then you can just f-smash/d-smash/laser reset or whatever because the missed it and don't make an action for a bit of time. Alternatively, just place a laser there in case, so that you can cover 3/4 tech options and eliminate their missed tech options (like getup attack).

- DD Game. You barely dash dance at all. It'll help you to space your approaches, retreats and punishes. It is essential.

- WD alongside that.

edit: later bones.

more tech skill

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Joel, I watched some of the games vs kage and as weird as this is going to sound, you were playing his game the whole set. Running into exactly where he wants to space most of the time, approaching in unsafe ways, hesitating on tech chases and even pressure. Vs his ganon especially, at first you kept trying to approach hit high SHFFL n-airs. It's not a bad idea, but you pick the wrong times to do it. You hit his shield a lot with it without crossing up on him. You should only approach with it if you're sure it's gonna hit, or if you're super close to him and want to cross up on the shield (though I don't recommend that but you can if you want).

Also this will sound more weird but you were trying to space yourself on him way too much. It looks like you were trying to hit the tip of your moves most of the time, but you are playing the wrong character for that. There are times to do it, but not all the time. You need to throw yourself into him and apply pressure on his shield, and also when he gets knocked down.

Because you keep trying to space, you keep missing chances to follow up combos even when you hit him. Also, that double jump d-air approach. You keep landing in front of him and he shield grabbed you a couple of times for it. It's gonna keep happening if you keep approaching like that.

In general, it looks like you are afraid of kage. Like really hesitant to approach him. Try your best to find a way to approach from the ground, or diagonally with the aid of platforms. Going directly above most likely will get you hit by something.

Vs Erayz:

Same as vs Kage which I forgot to mention, you miss a lot of moves that you throw out randomly. Sometimes they punish you for it and sometimes they don't. But you have to be careful cuz you're gonna get *****, especially when you're coming off the ledge doing that (which happened quite a bit in the vids).

Also, about the unsafe approaches: Look at your second stock vs erayz. You threw out a really early d-air which had no possible way to hit, unless he ran into it somehow. Then he shield grabbed you for it, then you got sorta gimped (kind of an SD). If you have plans to throw a move like that on a shield, you need to either retreat with it, or cross up on their shield (you still may get punished for crossing up depending on the character, but you at least won't get grabbed).

vs Mifune:

First off, doesn't he main fox? What happened?

But yeah, I watched the first 2 mins so far, and you keep dash attacking into his shield for some reason.
Watching further, he is out-pacing you with combos. Though it's mostly cuz you're not DIing them for some reason. You're also not comboing him, and tend to run away a lot and then trap yourself at the edge.

some ending notes:

- COMBOS! I don't think I saw you do a combo that did more than 25% other than vs pikalex. They are really easy with falco. Just practice on a computer or something and choose whichever combo you like the most.

- Aside from vs Pikalex, you almost never grab when they are standing in front of you when their shield it up.

- Also try to utilize crouch-cancel. There are a couple of times where you could've ***** erayz for some of his approaches/defense had you done it.

- React to missed techs if you can. You always wait for them when you knock them down. If you see them miss, then granted that you're close enough, then you can just f-smash/d-smash/laser reset or whatever because the missed it and don't make an action for a bit of time. Alternatively, just place a laser there in case, so that you can cover 3/4 tech options and eliminate their missed tech options (like getup attack).

- DD Game. You barely dash dance at all. It'll help you to space your approaches, retreats and punishes. It is essential.

- WD alongside that.

edit: later bones.

more tech skill
Perfect advice Ryan, you should be getting paid for this!
Too bad I'm broke as ****...
There really isn't much more I can say to this other than 'I agree' and 'alright I'll try that out'.

Mifune does play Fox but I believe he feels more confident in the ditto. He beat me in the amateur tournament we had at the time of that crew battle video too, so maybe he felt it would get the job done. That being said, he also went Falco against CC's whatever in that tournament too, so maybe he just picks specific spacie matchups to roll with.

Okay, I've been getting a lot of this "pay attention to your opponent" thing a lot recently. And its pretty vague for me. Can anyone extrapolate the specific and fine tune meaning of that phrase that everyone seems to enjoy throwing about?

I've been trying to understand it like this.

Say there is an image like this. If you focus on only the center white square, the other squares around it you can get a little bit of information from, but the further out from the center the harder it is to distinguish things. Should this be how I tackle a match. I treat my opponent like this little white square and never let my focus drift from it. Whether I'm recovering, getting hit, etc. I never let my gaze stare from that white square no matter what.

unknown522

Some guy
Perfect advice Ryan, you should be getting paid for this!
Too bad I'm broke as ****...
There really isn't much more I can say to this other than 'I agree' and 'alright I'll try that out'.

Mifune does play Fox but I believe he feels more confident in the ditto. He beat me in the amateur tournament we had at the time of that crew battle video too, so maybe he felt it would get the job done. That being said, he also went Falco against CC's whatever in that tournament too, so maybe he just picks specific spacie matchups to roll with.
Haha. Glad I can help. You're the homie! I forgot to add that approaching with shine is pretty good sometimes to try and start pressure or interrupt something

About mifune: I can understand him doing dittos, since I do the same.

Edit: what happened to your falcon? I remember that crew battle 4 years ago in toronto. Did you get tired of him?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

- COMBOS! They are really easy with falco. Just practice on a computer or something and choose whichever combo you like the most.

more tech skill
This is the only good post I've seen in here in weeks.

I'm tempted to do a brief guide to positioning, but I'm sure that will come down to boredom vs laziness and grad school will win.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Haha. Glad I can help. You're the homie! I forgot to add that approaching with shine is pretty good sometimes to try and start pressure or interrupt something

About mifune: I can understand him doing dittos, since I do the same.

Edit: what happened to your falcon? I remember that crew battle 4 years ago in toronto. Did you get tired of him?

:phone:
After taking a Melee hiatus for too long, my skills deprecated to the point where I needed a fresh start. I felt that I might as well do it with a better character.

FrenchToasts

Smash Journeyman

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
yes, that's how you should be focusing on your opponent..though in my opinion slightly in front of your opponent allows you to see the space between you better...also, i recommend shifting your view to falco's lasers if you want to powershield them

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Bones (Falco) vs.
15. Paul (Sheik)
I'm gonna watch this game and maybe another one and critique.

0:09- I can be okay with everything you did until that Bair. You need to Dair there and lots of Falcos(and Foxes for some reason) fall with Bair facing the wrong way lol. Also you probably could have shined instead of spotdodged and been okay since that guy didn't try to CC punish.

0:11- If you had FF'd your Dair you might have been able to catch Sheik's shield before he rolled. Either way remember that hitting the back of Sheik's shield like that makes them uncomfortable and be ready to react to any defensive maneuvers once you land.

Also that shield you put up afterward is bad because you hit Sheik out of the DJ. Don't do a move on a platform/at all if you aren't confident in it(that immediate shield made you look unconfident in your ability to get the hit there). You could have just dropped down instead of Bair'ing if it felt risky.

0:16- looked like you went through a few more pre-planned motions. That falling Bair was good but I think Sheik mashing Nair might have beaten it. A tilt or maybe a jab to something might have helped your combo more in that case. If Sheik wasn't Nair'ing(which she wasn't), then you should have Dair'd there. When you followed up on that weak Bair(which you could have shined out of), you should have shined instead of Nair'ing. Nair might have been you thinking he would have shielded. Either way, just try to feel more confident in your hits and figure out how to follow up once you do feel like you'll connect.

0:18- Uptilt was okay there, but if you shine you have to realize something: the side of the shine you're hitting with is the way that people can DI the farthest. If for example he held right then he wouldn't have gone anywhere. alternatively, if you hit with the right side of the shine, then his current DI would have kept him going straight up and that Dair would have comboed, but if he DI'd to the right then he would have flown away just as far and stayed safe.

Anyway, you could have still comboed out of the shine, but you shouldn't guess on the DI unless they seem likely to make an error in DI judgment. You should be able to react to DI usually though.

0:20- just grab the edge. that's what ***** sheik lol.

0:25- You do lots of really weird Bairs LOL. Just punish his bad move choice or landing lag.

0:26- You could have Dsmashed anyway! React to his missed tech.

0:45- Weird spotdodge that kept you unable from really punishing Sheik or taking advantage of your position.

0:47- A decent idea, but when you went to grab the edge this time, Sheik DJ'd right away. Staying onstage and observing the opponents' moves could be something that could help you decide which course of action to take later. I personally would mix up SH'ing and either delayed Bair'ing or grabbing the edge to make it hard for Sheik to have a reliable time recovering.

0:48- Dsmash or even Dtilt would have connected and sent Sheik offstage or killed here.

And then the Fsmashes. Those don't really work because people can just wait and punish them. Maybe with lasers in between for control and to make people anxious they can work better, but after doing so many like that they lose their surprise effect lol.

0:56- Don't do that Bair unless you're watching Sheik and certain she will follow you. It looks like you're relying hard on prediction instead of reaction and I don't think you have to lean so much on guesswork here(at least not without more conditioning).

Then you should have edge hogged because the Sheik could have gone there instead of into the Dsmash(which she could tech).

1:10- Try to avoid pushing yourself to the edge when the opponent respawns, and work on that edge dash I guess you were trying to do lol.

1:19- I don't really think you need to do all that lol. A (shine)grab would've worked just fine.

1:23- Try not to waveshine into someone when shield pressuring. People can often react well to that waveshine. Just double shine or do other pressure-related stuff.

1:28- Try not to Dair someone into the ground at that awkward non-tech higher percent unless they are higher in the air(for shine to combo). You would have been better off shining from that Uptilt or doing another Uptilt or maybe a Nair.

1:32- Try not to Bair out of shine at that range, but generally doing so right away won't get you much when Sheik is facing backward anyway. She can't Nair there and Bair reaches too high above Falco's head. Just shine and then attack or wait a second(don't shine) then attack.

1:34- attacking from too far away. Sheik can react to that approach easily from that distance. Try to get closer when lasering before attacking or just move closer after a laser and react to what Sheik does.

1:41- Looked like an Uptilt. with all of the lag out there a shine would have been safe instead. Uptilt is generally riskier on shields unless you hit it when you're spaced anyway.

1:50- Wavedash over! You would have made it in time to punish. You could have also lasered.

1:54- Sheik wouldn't have been able to kill you right away from any other read. If she's running and not WD'ing then it's okay to just tech in place/behind her.

2:16- Your lasers aren't quite right. You need to be aiming at where Sheik is and then where she might be going. Don't be so hasty!

2:18- Poor platform pressure. Needs more shine waveland to punish aerial lag on the platform.

2:25- Holding your shield entirely too much. A series of mistakes including wanting to shield drop too much(it hurt more than helped in this particular instance) and getting off the edge too quickly(try not to let bad momentum influence your actions so quickly, even though that did seem like a good spacing to double laser from) caused you to have to shield so much, which can get you ***** by Sheik's Fair or Dtilt.

You jump quickly when hit offstage. Try to delay the jump or recovery more against Sheik who picks those options apart well.

2:35- SHL'ing when the opponent is above you? Try to do 1 and only 1 SHL after you respawn and react after that(that's usually all you need to force a reaction, if that).

2:38- Try to drift with that Dair so you can catch the roll.

2:40- Try not to force the combo after you make a mistake like that fallthrough Dair. Shine would have been your only real combo move there anyway at that percent.

2:45- If you had come down with Dair on Sheik on her right side instead of her left that combo would have ended much better(with her offstage).

2:47- Sheik was just waiting for you. try to space the laser you fall with to avoid being punished OOS like that. I like that you wanted to punish after the laser but you also have to be safe there(you also had no previous conditioning in this situation so you couldn't have forced Sheik to jump there right away necessarily).

Then you shoot a lot and don't punish the edge jumps. You should stay a little closer to the edge and work Bair like Mango does. That Fsmash was also in haste. I know it's hard but you must try to stay calm and recognize that he is in a bad position if you want to get the hit.

After the respawn, you do a good job of avoiding sheik. You kinda shield too much again and don't laser with real purpose(some lasers can be distractors, but others you should shoot at Sheik as she lands to punish landing lag, and you would shoot just under her a few times). Again, you seem kind of hasty and need to calmly assess what Sheik is doing and how to beat it. Just start by shooting her when she gets low to the ground, and otherwise Bair'ing/uptilting when you get under her if you can.

I tried to throw in some general and specific stuff, hope it helps!

I like how my request for critique was COMPLETELY ignored. I'll try again.

Sets I lose:

Vs Falcoty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QK5...ital-art-of-andy-gilmore/color-grid.jpg"]this. If you focus on only the center white square, the other squares around it you can get a little bit of information from, but the further out from the center the harder it is to distinguish things. Should this be how I tackle a match. I treat my opponent like this little white square and never let my focus drift from it. Whether I'm recovering, getting hit, etc. I never let my gaze stare from that white square no matter what.
Is the opponent supposed to be the square or the space between both characters? Either way, my focus sort of shifts entirely between the opponent himself or the space between the characters in my play. I find that, if you have good things to do to test the opponent's responses(like lasers) then it becomes much easier to focus on the opponent than just outright trying to watch them. Going in thinking you need to do things to manipulate the opponent and learn their habits can make watching them much easier imo.

Ideally, you never need to let your gaze shift from the space between the characters/your opponent. You shouldn't need to watch yourself except maybe when you're recovering to know exactly when you'll jump out of stun or whatever.

This is the only good post I've seen in here in weeks.

I'm tempted to do a brief guide to positioning, but I'm sure that will come down to boredom vs laziness and grad school will win.
I'm not really sure why someone says Falco can do a couple combos over and over and it'll work vs everyone. I find myself in odd combo situations often and even when I'm playing well my combos don't look the same all of the time. I guess that's okay advice to someone just starting with combos, but it seems misleading down the road....

You can talk to me about positioning stuff if it will motivate you to write such a thing. =)

D

Deleted member

[22:00] Kevin: what exactly is mindset then, and how does it differ from mood or gameplan? i dont think i really know what that means now. is mindset related to your goals, or in this case your anti-goals?
[22:00] mycatgoesmow: i think your mindset is just how your mind is operating
[22:01] mycatgoesmow: your game plan is pre-determined so the two are independent
[22:01] mycatgoesmow: or should be anyway
[22:02] mycatgoesmow: the ability to hide behind bruce-style johns makes it easier to justify poor decision-making, and that's the link
[22:02] mycatgoesmow: it's not direct but rather offers an easy way of accepting your badness
[22:03] mycatgoesmow: i think it's particularly applicable to non-linear characters where it's hard to make the correct decision, so it's easier to know that you're making a subpar decision or it's easier to not even figure out what the best decision is
[22:03] mycatgoesmow: particularly with a high risk high reward character like falco
[22:03] mycatgoesmow: it's very easy to say "**** it I should dair here" when you either know it's a bad idea or you don't care
[22:04] mycatgoesmow: and that's exactly why I should never play falco in tournament because I know i do that when i use that character
[22:04] mycatgoesmow: and that's exactly why a lot of people also suck at falco despite having immaculate tech skill
[22:06] Kevin: mindset to you is how your mind is operating. can you explain exactly what you mean by that? does this mean biologically? does it mean what youre thinking about(if so wouldn't that mean its influenced by gameplan and your style of gameplan could affect it)?
[22:08] mycatgoesmow: to me, mindset is going into the match thinking "this is free" or " this should be close" or "i'm definitely going to lose"
[22:08] mycatgoesmow: but to me the ideal player should have their choice game plan and it's implied set of actions ready to go regardless of that thought process and shouldn't change
[22:09] mycatgoesmow: i think it's okay to change your game plan based on your information of the game, the player switching characters, habits, tendencies, etc, but i don't think it's okay to change your game plan based on your current level of optimism
[22:10] mycatgoesmow: i don't think it's fully possible to always seperate them, for example if you're sick your brain will not operate at full capacity regardless of your tactics and you will do worse overall, and thats what i think happened when you played shroomed
[22:10] mycatgoesmow: you did about what looked like classic PPMD status, but it was just a little off and it showed
[22:11] Kevin: okay so mindset is only something that would impede perfect decision-making from ones gameplan.....hm. kinda sucks that mindset may be useless overall but i can believe it. when ive played my best ive ever been in an incredibly good mood or just really focused on my gameplan....and the latter obviously happens more
[22:11] Kevin: maybe a good mindset is to focus on the gameplan and nothing else?
[22:11] mycatgoesmow: i think the best mindset is to go to the tournament having no bracket expectations and to just have fun
[22:12] mycatgoesmow: you can still have a plan and a CP set for each character and char specific strategies and it has nothing to do with how you woke up that day
[22:12] mycatgoesmow: fox is still going to upthrow or nair shine everyone all day
[22:13] mycatgoesmow: if you have expectations and they are broken in any way, your mood goes down and so does your performance
[22:13] Kevin: not even trying to win? what if the goals are reasonable? what if you can adjust them? are they still not worth having?
[22:14] mycatgoesmow: trying to win if your default gameplan to me, i wouldn't even go for reaonable goals to be honest
[22:15] Kevin: i was always motivated by goals so this is confusing to me lol
[22:15] mycatgoesmow: again, if they are broken, you're going to be down about it
[22:15] mycatgoesmow: even i'm not that much of a robot and i advocate this **** lol
[22:15] mycatgoesmow: let's say you go to a NC monthly and lose to adam
[22:16] mycatgoesmow: it's reasonable that you would expect to beat him, so it'd probably annoy the **** out of you if you lost
[22:16] mycatgoesmow: if anything, reasonable goals are the worst cause they can hit you the hardest IMO
[22:17] mycatgoesmow: people are human and fluctuate in ability, thought process, etc. so every once in a while, someone kinda close to you in ability might surprise you, but the emotional trauma that follows isn't a good reason to play poorly for your next 4 sets
[22:18] mycatgoesmow: if you have no expectations, you can only play to your relative ability, game plan, and everything else that makes you such a good player
[22:18] mycatgoesmow: as a side note, i'm pretty sure m2k loses to himself more than any one player for this same reason
[22:19] mycatgoesmow: people's ability to fluctuate is also why i suggest that you play to the game and not to your opponent, because yes your opponent can surprise you like i posted before, but you can also defeat yourself
[22:21] mycatgoesmow: if you break it down to "marth can CG fox on FD, 0-16 is just point > grab, after 16 if they DI forward you have to dash to regrab..." etc it becomes very hard to lose to your opponents ability to adapt, your ability to suck under pressure, or how you feel when you wake up on tournament day
[22:24] Kevin: okay i normally agree with that. i always told myself i wanted to get top whatever of a tournament after a while and usually did it. but moreover i wanted to be a top falco so i just wanted to do well, i had no real goal every tourney i guess, but i always had an overarching goal. i dunno if that explains how this can work or not but it certainly helped me. ive read on goals and theyve ALWAYS motivated me to do well, even if they have made me feel bad before. i suppose the nature of double elimination means i just have to remember i can still get a win/my goal and id imagine i could be on track. its only when id lose to certain people id make a goal to beat that id feel bad. if i just made a goal to win the tournament then i couldnt feel bad until after im out, and then it wont matter anymore lol
[22:26] mycatgoesmow: i think a long term goal can be okay because it's not as black and white
[22:26] mycatgoesmow: it's harder to "fail" yourself per se
[22:26] mycatgoesmow: it's like oh **** i lost to hugs, i'm a failure as a human
[22:26] mycatgoesmow: ....hugs lol
[22:27] mycatgoesmow: the whole subject has tons of grey area and isn't black and white at all, i just try to make it as close to that as possible for clarity
[22:28] mycatgoesmow: i'm just trying to give the method that yields the best results for improvement at smash bros, i guess it just happens to hit some really deep subjects occasionally
[22:28] mycatgoesmow: for the most part i think all you have to know is to focus on the game more than your state as a person, my thought process after that doesn't really matter past curiosity
[22:29] Kevin: yeah overall i agree with you that its better not to worry about that stuff and just PLAY and do your best but im just trying to offer that mindset has helped me train and play in tourney i believe. its not more important than gameplan id say but it helps me wanna carry it out in practice and tourney more
[22:29] mycatgoesmow: i agree with having a long term goal
[22:30] mycatgoesmow: after all, long term improvement is a goal and thats what i'm trying to teach
[22:31] mycatgoesmow: i just want you to lose to armada, and then realize that you should be thinking "i should ban FD so he can't chaingrab me to ****" rather than "i wanna be the very best that no one ever was"
[22:31] mycatgoesmow: simple stuff
[22:31] mycatgoesmow: one of them offers a much better chance at you winning the next time you play him
[22:32] Kevin: lmao yeah the game is what i should be thinking about i totally agree
[22:32] mycatgoesmow: i think we mostly agree on everything, we just arrive at the same conclusions in different paths
[22:32] Kevin: sounds like i just needed some distinctions ironed out but we more or less agree
[22:32] Kevin: XD
[22:32] mycatgoesmow: it's okay
[22:32] mycatgoesmow: this is why i think you're so cool
[22:32] mycatgoesmow: anyway i'm headed out
[22:32] mycatgoesmow: pcc
[22:32] Kevin: haha alright man take care

Is the opponent supposed to be the square or the space between both characters? Either way, my focus sort of shifts entirely between the opponent himself or the space between the characters in my play. I find that, if you have good things to do to test the opponent's responses(like lasers) then it becomes much easier to focus on the opponent than just outright trying to watch them. Going in thinking you need to do things to manipulate the opponent and learn their habits can make watching them much easier imo.

Ideally, you never need to let your gaze shift from the space between the characters/your opponent. You shouldn't need to watch yourself except maybe when you're recovering to know exactly when you'll jump out of stun or whatever.
I meant for for the white square to be only my opponent, not the space between them. But what you described is what I had been trying before people started saying I need to pay more attention to my opponent. I'd really only focus on my character when I was recovering or trying to sweetspot with dolphin slash or phantasm.

In general, it sounds like your saying there are times when you focus on the distance between the both of you, solely your opponent, and occasionally yourself. But never this "only look at your opponents character" that I was starting to think people meant.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You really need to ONLY do it in the sense that it forces you to redirect focus from yourself and towards your opponent. They're kinda right lol.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
if people are telling you to look at your opponent more it probably meant you tried to force an action in a situation where you can react or you went for a move (say SH) and then carried through with the move even when it should have already been obvious that you hadn't hit

Bones0

Smash Legend
OMG going hard with those critiques. Thanks so much, and I'm glad you chose a Sheik match cause it's definitely one of my worst matchups. :/ I already have a lot of general things written down to work on tomorrow that I pulled from what you told me, so I should be able to improve a lot. I REALLY appreciate it. ^_^

D

Deleted member

Non-smash related recommendations for playing falco successfully:

- Have Lil's Wayne's "Get Your Shine On" melody and lyrics fully memorized.
- Experiment with socially awkward practices. These must be somewhere between acceptable and taboo in nature. For example, use of gateway drugs, sport excessive body weight or facial hair, wear hoods on hooded sweatshirts fully up at moments with no utility, etc.
- Develop an affinity for small red buttons.
- Watch other falco player videos and intentionally learn nothing.
- Encourage an unhealthy fear of ledges, cliffs, or steep inclines. Self-induce vomiting to replicate the effects of vertigo when you are near them. In real life.
- Classically condition yourself into a state of euphoria when you encounter pokemon music.

If you do these, you will play falco with your mind, body, and soul.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Not sure about the Lil Wayne, drugs, and facial hair, but I got the rest down for sure. lol @ watching videos and learning nothing. Falco combos are too pretty.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
LMFAO Umbreon xDD

Today I thought about Falco and platforms for a little bit. I decided he's only good for going up there as a bait at neutral, or when controlling someone(check out Mango vs anyone by the edge lol, I know I saw him do this a lot vs Taj in their set at G2 because I watched it recently), or for resetting to neutral when under pressure(quick FH+Dair to secure his landing and position). In other words, I don't think he should really be on platforms as a main strategy(for most matchups anyway, others like Puff can be debatable I suppose) but there are lots of useful times to be on one lol.

I didn't explain why I said some of this to spur discussion, so if there's anything confusing or disagreeable I said, then speak up!

leffen

Smash Champion
I think moving to the platforms is your best bet (ofc dont do it everytime though) when you have lost the mixup @the neutral game vs Peach and allowed her to float at above laser height.

Peach has no float, has to fall awful DJ and once you force her to try to prevent your escaping to the platforms (which is hard since falco is stupidly fast vertically and shes slow) you can start punishing her for that.

Also, camping high top platforms vs marth at higher percents (or very low) is something that you should do a lot imo

D

Deleted member

In other words, I don't think he should really be on platforms as a main strategy(for most matchups anyway, others like Puff can be debatable I suppose) but there are lots of useful times to be on one lol.
you're thinking too much. falco shouldn't be on platforms because it's harder to shoot people. falco should be on the ground because it's easier to shoot people. falco is okay on platforms when you don't want to shoot people. this game is hard.

falco used to be 4th on the tier list back in the day. it's clearly because we didn't understand how good falco was and had nothing to do with stages like pokefloats and green greens being legal.

Top Bottom