• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro Impact BI-WEEKLIES - Video Thread

kithkin

Smash Champion
hahah 05 all the way.

and M just so you know the average is about two videos per bi-weeklie are even posted. so i'll warn you you may not be able to get all of them. randall is a very busy person.

but maybe randall will be nice to the new guys and post the vids they want. i commonly get a straight no because i usually request my wins only, but i'm a cocky person, and i request a lot.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I hope Pro Impact players will be able to travel down to the Trans-Canadian tourney. Some good East Coast spanking will teach you a lot more than you can imagine ;)

I really like your video editing, and you guys are starting to get good, that's cool !

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
f*ck off, i hate that tv, and i hate ssb64. im just pissed today. but those matches were boring, with the long pauses of spam

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
Why would I be mad @ either of those? I spam all match every match, and although not many people believe it; brad is really good with sheik. Just more predictable than my balls. This is just my pissy mood day of the week, you'll notice them more, later. Please, Randall; disreguard my video requests, & any future matches I request, unless I say the secret password. That falco vs chad match that I won taught me a valueble lesson.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
wow this is considered PRO??
Of course we aren't up to most cities standards yet. The term Pro impact players is the crew name, not skill level. I'd have no problem if you at least posted something constructive, instead of going into random threads and flaming people without knowing the backstory. Calgary had no smash scene prior to this, so we are young in terms of skill level.

Translation: These videos are to help us improve, and to ask for constructive criticism, not random flaming.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
The trouble with random flaming is that they rarely return to the threads they have flamed because it's just that random. Everyday I hope to log on and find the Reputation system back so I can at least leave passive-aggressive comments that specifically focus on not offering anything constructive to his future posting habits. Alas, it was curiously removed in another SWF conspiracy that the administration is trying to hide from us and they're free to roam our threads with no fear of retaliation in any form.

lengeta

Smash Ace
You guys are getting flamed because your throwing up videos that aren't really showing very 'deep' play. Just ignore them rather than replying to them, we've all been horrible at this game at one point in time. Most of you just need to watch a couple combo videos for your respective characters, then get some tech skill down.

I've noticed the videos twitch out every once and a while, repeating like half a second that was just played. You've got some pretty nice captures so it's a shame to see it happen, but at least your getting them up at all. ^_^

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
It is entirely inaccurate to consider anyone within our community a horrible player. There are plenty of technically capable (or "deep," if you prefer) players and brand new competitive players and wide variety of skill levels in between. These videos are for our community to use constructively and recreationally and before six months ago, there hadn't been a single real tournament in the city at all as far as I know. It's not like we just randomly decided to start having bi-weeklies and posting matches to wow the world with our uber tech skill. It is a continual surprise to me how many people just insist on watching videos expecting something they haven't seen before. It is even more surprising how often things they have likely never seen before do show up in videos, but get missed completely because they only have eyes for scrutinizing the skill level of the players.

The clipping in the video footage is a rendering problem that I can't seem to overcome. I will quite often even go back and delete the pre-rendered video files and re-render them in the hopes that the random twitching of the footage will be repaired, but usually it just re-randomizes the whole thing and I end up with choppy clips in new portions of the video. I've been meaning to take this issue to the Videography forum actually. I'll consider that.

As to everyone from Calgary, be very careful about the criticisms you receive on your videos and use caution when deciding what to implement into your game. ThatGuy offered the best advice to all of us when he said "you all need to fastfall more," which is completely true; we're not fast enough without it. But competition across the globe is widely varied and it shouldn't be surprising to you that different people will offer different advice. Typically, the best advice is to stay away from direct specific advice that has no explanation attached to it. "Finish your aerial KOs with a d-air instead of a f-air" is some advice someone was giving to a Luigi a few days ago and that's obviously just not true. Every one of your character's moves has situational use and it's more important to learn your character's moveset as best you can and instead focus your training on the elements of your game that apply to all characters like basic movement, wavelands, fastfalls and L-cancels, etc.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
I hope Pro Impact players will be able to travel down to the Trans-Canadian tourney. Some good East Coast spanking will teach you a lot more than you can imagine ;)

I really like your video editing, and you guys are starting to get good, that's cool !
lol we edmonton people already made their meat well done.

and levi, ignore them, seriously, with more of my advice, ud probably be wasting nearly everybody in ur community.

kithkin

Smash Champion
yes, and he does it every time too. he puts a lot of effort and time into the bi-weeklies.

thanks again randall

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too sure 'bout that, Brad... Carl wiped the floor with me, nearly 4-stocking me once, dispite the fact I usualy place in the top-three in our tournies.

I'm not ashamed to admit that Edmonton is way ahead of us. They are. We are gaining ground fast, though. With each Calgary tourney, the attendance and skill level continues to rise. As we play against eachother, we only get better.

The day will come when we truely ARE a match for Edmonton.

Then they'll pull an "Oilers" and start sucking horibly one year... then... victory!

And I'll like to say I agree with 'ya 100% 'bout the videos, Randall.
There's some pretty neat stuff that happens (the Popo too Nana chain-grab). It's just easier to condem than compliment...

Tyson651

Smash Lord
everybody requires some effort to play, but all in all, a 3-4 stock is quite the skill difference.

and even so, carl and shawn were both werent playing their best in quality wise, they were just having their bad days..

however steve and mike did very well at that tourney.

EDIT: and id like to say, calgary people have gotten a lot better, through what ive seen last tourney, such as levi, (which is probably the only person i remember, or played), and chad for having such an awesome sig. and paper mario is like my 2nd fav game for nintendo, so that paper peach is just awesome.

cF=)

Smash Lord
There's some pretty neat stuff that happens (the Popo too Nana chain-grab). It's just easier to condem than compliment...
In my personal opinion, it seemed more like a random happening than a tech skill. I'd like to see more chainthrows, more combos which arn't situational... I play good players every once in a while, and there's no luck involved in their gameplay; it's only tech chasing, good mindgames and aggresive approaches.

Randall00 said:
"Finish your aerial KOs with a d-air instead of a f-air" is some advice someone was giving to a Luigi a few days ago and that's obviously just not true. Every one of your character's moves has situational use and it's more important to learn your character's moveset as best you can and instead focus your training on the elements of your game that apply to all characters like basic movement, wavelands, fastfalls and L-cancels, etc.
Well, in some ways, you are completely wrong. Go watch some videos on Vwins' Luigi and you'll see he always aim for powerful attacks instead of going into "situational" KOs. Sure, you guys should at first try to concentrate more on widely used techniques such as FastFall, Wavedash, etc, but understand that yes, some moves she be abused more than others. You don't play Zelda correctly when you can't control perfectly her Bair, nor do you play Luigi correctly when you try to kill your opponents with your taunt.

kithkin

Smash Champion
hahaha but then agani if you can kill someone actually good with luigi's taunt its epic.

and i agree that they wernt at their best. but i personally stil think we at least put u[ a difficult match, but that may just be because last red deer tournament i got toyed with when i actually fought someone good.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it was random, maybe it wasn't. I guess only Mitch knows for sure. But even if it was a total fluke, I think you've gotta be pretty jadded to look at that and say "Meh. No skill, just luck. Moving on..." instead of "Hey. That was pretty neat."

Sure, I haven't been playing as long, nor have I seen the videos that you have. Maybe that's for the best. I would hate the day when nothing in Melee surprises me anymore. Luck-derived or not...

It seems everyone is so focused on absolute skill-based perfection, we can't laugh at the funny moments in Smash anymore.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
What I really hate is to come to a formerly decent thread and see a whole bunch of bull**** flaming going on.

Leave the Pro-Impact alone. They're doing their thing. Who cares if the vids aren't "legit", which they obviously are in the eyes of the ever-improving player.

Next time I see flaming I'm going to do something about it.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
and i agree that they wernt at their best. but i personally stil think we at least put u[ a difficult match, but that may just be because last red deer tournament i got toyed with when i actually fought someone good.
put me a difficult match? yes, mich did, but do remember, im the worst edmonton player that went to the red deer tournament.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Roast Post

In my personal opinion, it seemed more like a random happening than a tech skill. I'd like to see more chainthrows, more combos which arn't situational... I play good players every once in a while, and there's no luck involved in their gameplay; it's only tech chasing, good mindgames and aggresive approaches.

Well, in some ways, you are completely wrong. Go watch some videos on Vwins' Luigi and you'll see he always aim for powerful attacks instead of going into "situational" KOs. Sure, you guys should at first try to concentrate more on widely used techniques such as FastFall, Wavedash, etc, but understand that yes, some moves she be abused more than others. You don't play Zelda correctly when you can't control perfectly her Bair, nor do you play Luigi correctly when you try to kill your opponents with your taunt.
How can you be completely wrong in some ways? ;)

----

Everyone that I've ever talked to from a Smash community outside of Alberta seems to talk to me like I don't watch videos, don't understand that some moves are more useful than others and just plain can't comprehend what's going on in the Melee metagame. The "most of you just need to watch combo vids of your characters and get some tech skill" comment is a fun favourite that is about as helpful as it is logical since there is plainly quite a bit more to watching a video and emulating it.

Some of you bigger and better players out there do need to get over your superiority complex though and recognize that you're watching videos of a bunch of players who didn't play competitively with each other until six months ago. Obviously when we gather every two weeks we're not going to have 65 recorded matches full of sick combos at every turn. It doesn't happen that way, we're not good enough, sooooorrrryyy.

Good for you and your "personal opinion" about what you'd like to see in our videos, but I can only produce videos based on what I have, not what I or anyone else desires. We now have a community with enough players with initiative and knowledge to make things happen. Yes, you need better competition to get better, yes you need good mindgames and techchasing to get better competition, but above all you need time. Practice. Repetition. Drilling those habits into your head. Duh, don't you super pros remember that part?

And good for you Edmonton for "making our meat well done" by defeating us soundly in Red Deer. You deserve plenty of credit for having built such a formidable league of smashers and I've already found useful enhancements to my own game based on the matches I got to play up there. But don't give me your crap about Carl and Shawn "having their bad days" and try to play it off like the beating would've been ten times harsher if everyone was on their game. You wanna know a good recipe for having a bad tournament day? Playing a bunch of pro Edmonton guys for the very first time as we branch out an travel from our brand new Calgary community. Haha, don't try telling us they were having bad days.

So if you came into this thread and watched the videos with the intention of coming in here and letting us know what we're doing wrong in as constructive a means as possible, I do hope that you at least recognize what you're watching first. And look for something positive for crying out loud! Odds are, the best combos are more in line with the player's actual technical ability at the top of their game; it's not like the hardest stuff in Smash happens by accident. If you can't agree with that, my only question is what the **** are you still doing in our thread?

Tyson651

Smash Lord
im not trying to make credit for ourselves, and im not even talking to u about carl and shawn having their bad days.

even if carl and shawn were have their bad days, im 100% confident they would beat all of what calgary has to offer anyway. im talking about the tournament of in the finals, and that shawn and carl didnt do well in it, and suprisingly mike and steve took a good shot and placed first and second.

i never meant to say u would get pwned 10 times harder if they were on top notch, cause i pretty much dont give a flying ducks *** about that.

even so, i was also complimenting on how calgary did get better, but seeing that ur head is so far up ur own ***, that u cant even tolerate freedom of speech of other people. cause obviously, if u dont play like ken, and people expect that, these people are gonna leave remarks on how crappy ur skills are anyway.

and theres no point for u to tell us to get out of ur thread, cause u released it here for everyone to see, if u dont like or cant tolerate harsh comments, then its a bad idea putting it up here then is it? this world isnt perfect and its not gonna revolve around super nice people who say "keep up the nice work", there are mean people, so deal with it.

kithkin

Smash Champion
haha i enjoy listening to people bicker personally.

and i wouldnt say you are worst in edmonton.

edit: assuming its my falco... yeah my falco sucks.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
The criticism is of the general attitude of smashers towards us outside of the Alberta community, I apologize if that sounded as though it were directed personally at you, Tyson but I can see how it may come off that way; you are of course welcome in the thread anytime, but my point is valid and yours is becoming increasingly obscured by defensive overtones.

Further elaboration will probably only result in more misinterpretation, so I'm just going to go back to building this community, making highlight reels and posting the matches that the players want to see posted. Any objections?

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Can't we all just.. .. get along?

We're all here for the same reasons, right?

- Learn new things
- Examine our weaknesses
- Enjoy the funny moments
- Study our opponets
- Perhaps, maybe, if we have time, have some FUN? (do people still do that, anymore?)

If you're here for those reasons, awesome! Welcome! Can you show me where I went wrong? Did you notice what Joe did there? Wasen't that part funny when Smith did that? Can you tell me a few more approaches I could use that I wasne't already? Great! Let's learn from our mistakes and improve together! Say, I think your character is improving already!

If you're not here the above reasons, that's fine too. It's an open fourm, afterall! Hi! You've probably seen all the other similar video threads where people flame guys for not being perfect. It's okay. We're not perfect either. You'll see us DI the wrong way, miss a tech, whatever. Say whatever it is that'll make you feel better. You're probably missing the point of the thread if you're flaming, but that's okay. Everyone else flames everyone else in video threads, so why can't you?

Randall is doing an awesome job of showcasing our technical, impressive, strange, and just plain funny moments in these highlight reels, all packaged with some spiffy music.

Like it has been said many times over, we're a young community. You're probably right, Tyson. Calgary's best player probably won't stant a chance vs. Edmonton's best. We're getting better tho. Playing people who are better than yourself is a great way to improve. I respect what Edmonton has going on and I only wish we could spend more time playing eachother in the interest of learning.

Personaly, I would rather get my *** handed to me, yet learn 5 new things, than beating 5 people to a pulp and learn nothing.

(and thanks for the sig-compliments, Tyson! Yah, I love the style that Paper Mario has.)

lengeta

Smash Ace
I hope nobody thinks I was flamming you guys, I was just trying to tell you all to ingore it. Even the pros with the videos people love get flammed, just gotta deal with it.

As for critique, I'm not really that great at giving it, but I'll give what I can to the Falco players:

Kithkin, your Falco's pretty scrubby. This is way back in October, so hopefully you've got some new moves now, but if not, start learning to SHL and SHFFL. Sorry man, you seem pretty new to Falco, get some pointers from the other Falco players around there and ditto with them. Falco dittos are awesome matchups, and they'll increas your skill dramatically.

Xpiritflare, your Falco's looking pretty good, just keep practicing and speeding it up. It's your job to make sure everyone fears the onmi-uberness known as Falco Lombardi.

Buddyvishnu, looks like your is just starting to come along, doesn't look bad. Watch the Fairs, 99% of the time you want to be using Nairs instead. Don't play Link's projectile game, your blaster pwns his utility-belt. Link got you with way too much upB spam. You need to see when it's coming, then shield/avoid and punish, shouldn't be too difficult to predict upB spammers (don't fall in the bad habbit of spot-dodging either, lol, I know from experience). You also needed to sweetspot the edge more often in that match, you rolled up right into the upB a couple times even. Be patient, wait for the whiff, then kill. Also, remember to keep the pressure on your opponate the entire time. If they break away from you, annoy them with laser spam. Don't let them breath

kithkin

Smash Champion
haha i like the last comment.

and yeah my falco needs quite a bit, but thanks for your info.

but i've moved to shiek, as you'll start seeing.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
You might be surprised how much better and more confident you will feel with your Sheik if you just fiddle around with Falco in training mode and try L-cancelling a d-air into a shine for a bit. :) Trying common tactics with other characters is an excellent way to help enhance your overall skill and understanding of the game.

FastFox

BRoomer
Edmonton gets cocky sometimes. That's a given. I think even Tyson can agree with that, especially when Carl comes along. It's all healthy competition, however I can definately understand that it's sometimes taken too far.

Randall, you brought up an excellent point in regards to bad days. I lol'd when you mentioned Calgary going up against the Edmonton players, and the Edmonton players saying they were having a bad day. And you know what, that's perfectly legit. In my eyes, playing smash with someone of lesser skill than I involves helping them improve (if I can). I've never been the type of player to give a cocky smile and say something like, "Better luck next time." I'll stand up, shake your hand, and ask for a re-match sometime. I love the game, I love the people playing the game, and I love helping people get better at the game. If not for that reason, I wouldn't post on the boards.

Carl was talking to me the other day about something that made a lot of sense to me. He said he was jealous of Tyson's ability to be a good sport, which is one of the things I love about him. Even though he claims to be the worst Edmonton player out of all of us that went to the tournament, he accepted his losses and it didn't ruin his attitude for the rest of the day. Most of the time I can get away with this too, however when I lose a teams match to a Peach player that only rolls, throws turnips, and down-smashes, I get a bit edgy.

Calgary is definately improving. If you guys keep on reading things on the boards and keep on keeping on with those bi-weeklies, you're all going to get somewhere fast, which further brings into question the release of videos. Think about it, no matter how bad someone is, a video of themselves playing can act as something to reflect on. Not for the viewer, who in this case does not matter at all, but for the player himself. By watching one play, it's a lot easier to point out things you should improve on, as well as a chance to say, "Oh man, I shouldn't have done that. I won't do it next time!". In my eyes, these videos aren't for anyone else other than the attenders of the Pro-Impact bi-weeklies.

As far as my situation goes, yes, I want my footage at the tournament. Yes, I think I did good in the footage that we have. But why do I want it? Not so that I can post it and brag about how good I am, but to see where it's possible for me to improve, what I did good, what I should keep doing. If you look at my posts, I've never said anything about me being the best, or me being better than another person. I don't work that way. Honestly, I LOVED playing some of you guys at the tournament. I sincerely wish that me and Randall could have had a few more matches together. And Brad, your Sheik really knows how to beat the **** out a Luigi, I'll tell you that much.
Look at Levi. He was telling me he sucked at the game, and for a while I believed him. When I played him at the tournament, he honestly blew me away. Me and Tyson didn't win any money, but that really wasn't important once I arrived. I got to meet everyone that posted in my Central Canada thread, which was enough of a treat. Just chilling with you guys, meeting new people, etc, is what a tournament's all about. It's not about the prize, but socializing and sharing a common interest, be it competitively or casually. To tell the truth, I had more fun at the tournament after I was eliminated by Mike.

So, if you have the gull to come into this thread and bash the players in the videos, saying that the comboes are noobish and the playing is slow, then you have a lot to learn about being a decent person. On behalf of Edmonton, I appologize for the cockiness some of our players might have shown. I (we?) realize that you guys are getting better, and I (we?) completely respect that. Keep on doing what you guys do.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
So, if you have the gull to come into this thread and bash the players in the videos, saying that the comboes are noobish and the playing is slow, then you have a lot to learn about being a decent person. On behalf of Edmonton, I appologize for the cockiness some of our players might have shown. I (we?) realize that you guys are getting better, and I (we?) completely respect that. Keep on doing what you guys do.
Maybe one day we'll get the rep system back. +

I should reiterate though that Edmonton showed a lot of class at the Red Deer tournament and everyone I talked to was friendly and polite. Again, my post was a criticism of the attitude not the people.

Most of the time I can get away with this too, however when I lose a teams match to a Peach player that only rolls, throws turnips, and down-smashes, I get a bit edgy.
Werd. :dizzy:

FastFox

BRoomer
Heh, I think I said, "Thanks for helping me run my thread" about four times that day!

But yeah, this crap has to stop. Let's just engage ourselves in intelligent discussion, and put this behind us, shall we?

cF=)

Smash Lord
How can you be completely wrong in some ways? ;)
You are wrong about every move having killing potential, you are right about getting your tech skills down first. The end.
Some of you bigger and better players out there do need to get over your superiority complex though and recognize that you're watching videos of a bunch of players who didn't play competitively with each other until six months ago. Obviously when we gather every two weeks we're not going to have 65 recorded matches full of sick combos at every turn. It doesn't happen that way, we're not good enough, sooooorrrryyy.
Wow, where have I been harsh to you to receive such comment? When you ask for constructive critism, I deliver you one. Afterward, you get pissed and pull your extremely "complex but flawed" sentences after me. Get over it, you guys need to ameliorate, I gave you advices. Stop saying that everybody's too hateful at your community over and over again, when I simply wanted to give you advices.
Good for you and your "personal opinion" about what you'd like to see in our videos, but I can only produce videos based on what I have, not what I or anyone else desires. We now have a community with enough players with initiative and knowledge to make things happen. Yes, you need better competition to get better, yes you need good mindgames and techchasing to get better competition, but above all you need time. Practice. Repetition. Drilling those habits into your head. Duh, don't you super pros remember that part?
WOW, how could you invent such things !? I said I'd like to see more chainthrows and good combos ADDED TO YOUR GAMEPLAY, NOT YOUR GOD **** VIDEO !! Stop stuffing words in my mouth, I just said what you should practice helluva more, nothing else.

Top Bottom