• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M is recruiting...

scorekid100

Smash Apprentice
Where in the waveshining did it scream Brawl to you?

I'm fairly sure "doing the exact same things, looking better, and being balanced across the board" is what we're shooting for here.

You guys that are saying "no matter what you do, it'll never be Melee", you don't know how right you are. When we're done, it won't be Melee. It'll be better.
The shine itself looks waaayy to brawl. But since its only in a primitive state the game itself looks mad good and pretty interesting. Hopefully it'll be more like melee 2.0 by the end, I might play it.

Signia

Smash Lord
you guys dont know what we can do, do ya?
whoa WHAT?! That means you guys can lengthen FD, make it purple again, and bring back any stage you want! Hyrule 64 would be nice.

I'd play a Melee with new characters and the graphical change isn't a huge deal... but you'll have to build the new characters almost from scratch and it's gonna take some serious balancing skills, and knowledge of both games.

If you really can do stuff like in those pictures, I imagine it wouldn't be impossible to make the physics exactly like Melee.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
The shine itself looks waaayy to brawl. But since its only in a primitive state the game itself looks mad good and pretty interesting. Hopefully it'll be more like melee 2.0 by the end, I might play it.
xD Thats just a visual I'm working on fixing sometime this week.

The graphical problems you guys are having are things that are all easily fixed. Stages are just as, if not, easier to fix. The goal is to have a game where you can, as Eggm said, have your controller unplugged from Melee and plugged into P:M, and have it feel/act exactly the same. Some things will be tweaked for balance though, and I feel that the final product[not even close to what you can see in any video we show you right now], will be a very impressive and accepted game by the melee playing community.

whoa WHAT?! That means you guys can lengthen FD, make it purple again, and bring back any stage you want! Hyrule 64 would be nice.

I'd play a Melee with new characters and the graphical change isn't a huge deal... but you'll have to build the new characters almost from scratch and it's gonna take some serious balancing skills, and knowledge of both games.

If you really can do stuff like in those pictures, I imagine it wouldn't be impossible to make the physics exactly like Melee.
90% of the dev team is running Melee on their computer in debug mode, going frame-by-frame, over everything we plan on adding. The volumes of data we will accumulate will be staggering.
-DD

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
I am impressed by this display of power. If you can pull this off, that would be ridiculous. Even more impressive is that this kind of editing rivals that of real game making. I'll be cheering for you guys.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I am impressed by this display of power. If you can pull this off, that would be ridiculous. Even more impressive is that this kind of editing rivals that of real game making. I'll be cheering for you guys.
>_> The next big step in Brawl modding will be the addition of foreign models. Then things will REALLY get interesting.
v_v no sign of it yet though.
-DD

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

please. lengthen fd? make it purple? we could have done that months ago. i told you guys, you have no clue what we can do.

oh, i almost forgot...the fallen five just might rise again...

jugfingers

Smash Champion
please take a moment to reference this project with current melee movements and attacking possibilites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNfMPf_72Vo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238BPPK4xd0

Im sure this project is going to be a alot of fun, but I don't think it has a chance of coming close to melee.

the problem is that brawl is not at all similar to melee in terms of the movement, but no doubt the game you will create will be far superior to brawl

at the very least hopefully nintendo will take note of this project and observe that nobody is hacking brawl to make it slower and gayer.

4% APR

Smash Champion
just make sure in the final product that there is a permanent color hack that makes ike look like roy. Then it would be awesome

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
At the moment, the first video is possible at some points, but some things in that video, like JCGrabs, haven't been enabled yet. And because of a stupid addition called "deadframe", it would be ~1frame slower on every move.

And we don't have that stage. xD.

Many of the things in the second video are also possible...but we're not Lovage, and it would be unfair to expect us to make a video like that LOL.

Things will only get faster from the teaser video we've shown. XD Just have faith and don't be a sour sprout.
-DD

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
How big in terms of computer space will it use up when it's the final product? My estimate would be about 2 gigs for a FULL transformation. By the way, are you going to allow it to use custom songs?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
How big in terms of computer space will it use up when it's the final product? My estimate would be about 2 gigs for a FULL transformation. By the way, are you going to allow it use custom songs?
o.O Whoa mangz. Not that big. You don't download an entire game, just certain modified files that are put on the SDCard, and are replaced in-game by the codes we load into it. At most, with a full texture set, we'd be looking at around 500MB. Custom Songs are allowed along with Custom Textures. The actual codes used to make a lot of the physics changes would be a few MB, since its mostly just hex that is read by the Wii directly.
-DD

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
Seriously, everyone here should be cheering these people on. What they are trying to do is something that as a melee community is what we want. That is melee with more characters and stages. Many challenges will undoubtedly be presented and dwelling on them and saying it can't be done is counter productive and simple ungrateful so let's cheer them on and hope that they are able to pull such a massive project off. And even if they are not able to, it's a step in the right direction, but I have hope that they will be able to do it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
you people should make it so you can shield during your initial dash

and make an easier method for shield dropping (use the melee system of tap shield+downforward on the stick)

this way u can running shield drop like melee and platforms become 200 times more fun

Bones0

Smash Legend
I can see the potential, but I'd be lying if I said it reminds me of Melee so far. I'm guessing you guys have found a way to use Melee's shield, right? Anyway, good luck.

Eggm

Smash Hero
If you guys really do get it to point where it looks/feels just like melee where I can just plug my controller in and feel almost no difference while practicing tech skill, do you realize how impossible it is going to be to balance and how much drama and splitting of different communities it will cause? Its going to be impossible to regulate and get everyone to agree with balance changes and when its enough and when there has been sufficient time to test balancing the chars and when its time to nerf/buff characters. It will be the most drama ever smashboards might explode.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lovage: there's already a code to do the shield during an initial dash
this looks promising, I wish i could beta test it atm as a melee player. keep up the good work.

shanus

Smash Hero
We have a lot of work ahead of us, a large portion of the games' programming still isnt understood.

As time goes on, I would still love to pull all of your technical insights to pour into this game, and I hop eyou will support us when we do ask :)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
If you guys really do get it to point where it looks/feels just like melee where I can just plug my controller in and feel almost no difference while practicing tech skill, do you realize how impossible it is going to be to balance and how much drama and splitting of different communities it will cause? Its going to be impossible to regulate and get everyone to agree with balance changes and when its enough and when there has been sufficient time to test balancing the chars and when its time to nerf/buff characters. It will be the most drama ever smashboards might explode.
Sounds like fun.
*trollface*

Then we just cite the age-old, "In fighting games, some characters are inherently better than others, no matter what we do."

The most we can do is arrange it so there aren't any[or many] hard counters in just a character v. character matchup. Or at the very least the game is fun without any glaring problems in balance.

We're not going to be as receptive to the community's suggestions when it comes to the balancing phase as Brawl+ may or may not have been, because it becomes catering to the masses, and not what is actually beneficial for growth.

tl;dr: We're not going to let things get gay if we can help it.

-DD

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
should be fun

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Any news on crouch cancelling?

And making it look as fluid as melee does, brawl looks so weirdly robotic.

Amazing job anyways, I wouldn't focus on getting useless stages (like fourside etc) in if I where you, though.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think mods like brawl+ and project M are beneficial to the melee scene as long as we don't try to be separate. I play b+ and will probably play project M once there is a good release. If brawl people play b+ and p:M then there is already a lot of parallels to melee and i think melee would be more accessible to them.

Steelia

Smash Champion
...That's not Melee.
That's Brawl trying to be like Melee.
But I'm still not fooled.
What is this.

shanus

Smash Hero
Any news on crouch cancelling?

And making it look as fluid as melee does, brawl looks so weirdly robotic.

Amazing job anyways, I wouldn't focus on getting useless stages (like fourside etc) in if I where you, though.
Stage development is a separate team in the WBR, they just happen to love us enough to make melee stages, too.

Crouch canceling is a very hard mechanic to program, actually. I don't know our current plans for it, if any.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It still doesn't look like Melee!Ganon. OoT version from Melee was the ****.

Will play when this comes to be (should be fun), but without OoT!Ganon in this... sadface.

[EDIT]

Talking appearance-wise, btw.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I wonder if I could find out a weight modification function from when characters go metal?
Sounds like a plan =D

missing the CC was one of the things I was annoyed most when I played brawl for the first time. (except for all the obvious other stuff <<;)

Eggm

Smash Hero
Yeah and activate the weight function while crouching. For example when crouching weight +7.

Edit: yeah I felt like wingz when I was playing brawl. It had no reason to be taken out it only added depth and helped sloower heavier characters which usually are underpowered vs speedy top tiers.

Magus420

Smash Master
Wouldn't it be as simple as increasing the characters weight while crouching?
A weight increase would mean very little without changing how landing during hitstun works, which is the core component of CCing. In Brawl if you land during non-tumble hitstun the hitstun will finish before going into the landing animation. In Melee, any non-tumble hitstun is canceled out entirely by going directly into the landing animation.

It'd also need to be able to tell the difference between something like going from ground->ground as a result of the normal knockback (horizontal and lower trajectories), and going from ground->ground as a result of ASDI and fall speed (has upwards KB but downward movement from ASDI and fallspeed on the 1st KB frame outweigh the upwards movement from KB and keep you on the floor). I can see getting that to work the right way being really difficult compared to something more straightforward like a weight increase/knockback reduction during a crouch.

Signia

Smash Lord
I was just waiting for magus to refute that weight-increase-while-crouching, it couldn't be that simple.

Top Bottom