• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanus

Smash Hero
There you go, problem solved.
They are saying they use both X AND Y for separate things, so that they can't remap one of those to footstool.

"Footstooling Remapped Footstooling was remapped to uptaunt. Through inclusion of a button remapping code, you can map this to the jump button you don't use. For example, I jump with Y, so I mapped it to X. So now I jump with Y, and Footstool with X." is from the OP

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Oh yeah, I brought it up in the stream, but I'm really hoping that dead weight gets a massive nerf besides obvious preventions (FThrow team infinite for some characters like Mario and Luigi). It's just so unbelievably annoying in teams. At least find a way to reduce the amount that a dead weight collision slows down a flying opponent. I can't tell you how many times someone was saved just because they touched somebody else mid-flight and suddenly lost almost half of their KB velocity.

Then there's the minimum velocity required to be accounted for as dead weight, which should also be raised greatly (once again, not enough to null the throw infinite dead weight needs) so that someone at 0% getting hit by Ike's 3rd jab hit doesn't cause the person behind him to be hit by dead weight. That's just stupid.

shanus

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, I brought it up in the stream, but I'm really hoping that dead weight gets a massive nerf besides obvious preventions (FThrow team infinite for some characters like Mario and Luigi). It's just so unbelievably annoying in teams. At least find a way to reduce the amount that a dead weight collision slows down a flying opponent. I can't tell you how many times someone was saved just because they touched somebody else mid-flight and suddenly lost almost half of their KB velocity.

Then there's the minimum velocity required to be accounted for as dead weight, which should also be raised greatly (once again, not enough to null the throw infinite dead weight needs) so that someone at 0% getting hit by Ike's 3rd jab hit doesn't cause the person behind him to be hit by dead weight. That's just stupid.
Dead weight velocity is factored in as the momentum you enter hard hitstun, action 45. It becomes an interactive collision on frame 3.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
Because you'd be able to airdodge and still RLG. You're also forgetting characters that don't have a freefall state from upB (Ike for example). It would just make more sense if the only time you can RLG is when you're at the peak of your upB.

I don't like the idea of placing Footstool Jumps on either X/Y. It may be unusual to some but I use both X and Y depending on what I want to do. I usually use Y for my B-button inputs and X for my A-button/c-stick inputs.
I actually thought about that after I wrote, and I had turned off the pc already xD. Utaunt is fine for footstooling too, it makes it dangerous to try it, yet rewarding if mastered but as I said before, I wouldn't mind footstools gone. Anyway, in melee you couldn't grab the edge immediately after ADing, you had to fall a bit to be able to do so. I'm also ok with just frontal grabbing :), so whatever rolls your boats guys

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Will the development of this game be finished by around mid-summer? I'm going to be visiting some cousins of mine over vacation around then, and I'd like to hype them up by bringing project m with me.

I don't want to hold anyone to any deadlines, I just want to know if its possible that I'll be able to play it with them.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
its just a collision hitbox and a timer, so im sure people could do whatever the hell they wanted with it
Oh, I guess I misunderstood then. Will changes be considered then?

@The_Guide
Mid-Summer is a decent guess, but I'm not expecting anything until they think it's absolutely ready.

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
i use x and y to shorthop
...so do the lot of us I'm sure...

But in all seriousness, from the last stream, I have seen the majesty of Ganondorf's run, F-Smash, and quick D-Tilt, along with Falco's awesome F-Smash going back to normal. Excellence is still in the making...

And back on the topic at hand: When it comes to footstooling, I'd gladly take the Y-Button for an Up-Taunt spin, as the X-Button, combined with disabled Tap-Jump is good enough for me (even though personally
I prefer the air
I would like to see footstooling nerfed significantly or dropped entirely...at least after knowing how it is first...).

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
i said that cause i was reading that a lot of people use x and y for other things other than short hopping

sorry lol

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
That's alright; I'm glad you clarified that. In Melee, it isn't too easy to short-hop by tapping Up on the Control Stick, while it is simple to do in Brawl.

Yet, X or Y is usually the standard button people use to jump and short-hop, depending on preferences and how quick they feel it is.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Hmm. Waiting for a new stream(since I missed the last 2 or 3) is killing me.

Y'know, I'm not really interested in P:M for the tech skill and stuff being made like Melee's, I just want to play Melee with Brawl Characters. I'm not the only that is like this, am I?

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
(I'm on FIRE when it comes to responses today...) No, no you're not. However, I am also in it for the tech-skill, as that, coupled with interesting advanced techniques, is just a few of the things that made Melee such a deep fighting game in the first place.

Rikana

Smash Champion
I would suggest not to remove foot stool jumping just yet if you guys ever plan to (its already been remapped anyways). It would be interesting to see it applied in games. Especially 2v2s.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think footstooling is a much more interesting tactic without the spike attached to it. A while back I removed the FS spike and replaced the footstooling jump with your double jump and all I can say that it was pretty neat experimenting with what could be possible. The 2v2 stuff can be amazing and the best part about it is you don't have to remap FS to another button at all.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
When it comes to footstooling, I'd gladly take the Y-Button for an UP-TAUNT SPIN, as the X-Button, combined with disabled Tap-Jump is good enough for me...
o-oh ****

are you suggesting that...they make the footstool jump more like a screw jump, ala SMW? because that'd be ****ing dynamite.
like, make the jump shorter, and you could bounce off opponents as well as parry weak projectiles and ****, but it'd have to be your second jump. or something.

oooohhhh god, i could see floaties getting lame ones, spacies getting short ones, and averages getting the best ones. and stuff. i like this idea, a lot.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
...I kinda like kupo's idea. Removing the spike aspect, while still letting you bounce off people could be awesome.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
yeah, the super mario world screw jump.

edit: anybody know when the stream, if there's a stream tonight, will be up? sure, mlg is airing brawl stuff, but you know most of us aren't watchin that

kupo15

Smash Hero
...I kinda like kupo's idea. Removing the spike aspect, while still letting you bounce off people could be awesome.
Yup, and you can have infinite FS jumps (or in this case second jumps) as long as your teammate or other person is near by. Imagine getting some serious height and air time without the need for using your third jump.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
well, in a game as fast as melee, and with being off stage as dangerous as it is, a tool like that could be abused by only a small portion of the cast. chars like jiggs and...uhm. others.

i'd much rather see the secondary jump into something useful, as in the case where in SMW your original jump gave you more distance, but your secondary gave you a defense from **** below you. as well, you could bounce off your opponents quite high when necessary.

this'd only be useful in team matches, by characters without fast, weak projectiles (not sheik/falco), and who can survive off the battlefield (not link, olimar, ivysaur...).

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
@Sterowent: I didn't suggest it truly, but f***! Now you put the idea in my head!

It would be awesome, but I said it in a way such as "taking [insert object/phrase here] for a spin" so whatever occurred was, in no way, intentional.

It would introduce a whole new technique, but perhaps it may be an unnecessary tactic that isn't at all part of the Project:M team's intentions. Whatever happens, happens.

Edit: And on a further note, kupo's idea really sounds like it could hit the spot (so to speak...looking left and right sheepishly). Over-accessible by characters like Kirby or Jigglypuf, sure, but would seriously aid Link or other characters who's off-stage game leaves a lot to the imagination.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Actually, I would think that if anything it would help the non multi jumpers moreso. There really isn't any need for them to use it and I'm pretty sure it doesn't refresh your second jumps back either just like a footstool doesn't. I would really like people to try it out and see what they can do with it.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
man, wouldn't it be cool though. if not here, at least when someone starts building story modes on their own.

frankly, i don't like this FS suggestion. with it, you'd basically require a lot of teams to have a jiggs to help with recovery. as if team rests weren't enough incentive to bring in jiggs! really, she'd be the best option to take, is all. kirby, pit, DDD, no floaty character has the aerial speed jiggs has, so suggesting they'd be used in the same way is only in the case when near the edge rather than in a situation where they couldn't recover anyhow. those characters would just wind up playing interference onstage for the recovering teammate.

i'm just being choosy here. FSing could quickly become broken. at the same time i do want to see it become used. just not like that

edit: maybe my worries are for naught. if only we could test P:M in the first place, though...

kupo15

Smash Hero
Test it first. If anything, make FS jumping a one time jump until you touch the ground and find a way to let ppl understand that with a special SFX or something. Honestly, you need a lot of focus to keep the FS thing going forever and it basically should leave both chars in a bad position if they try to stall without purpose. You also can't do it forever because the person on the bottom only has so many jumps.

Blitzkrieg98

Smash Apprentice
I was speaking of 1 vs. 1 matches (in case a chaser flubs an interception), but maybe with Jigglypuff in teams it would likely grow to be, in lack of better terms, very much broken. But, we'd have to see whether or not it will be accepted or if someone could test it out.

That spin idea...I still think it's unnecessary but at least thought provoking. Curse you, Sterowent! Curse you!

Edit: Semi-ninja'd by kupo, but he does have an interesting proposition... I'd like to see the one-time FS have a useful application in P:M.

kupo15

Smash Hero
FS jumps do have their own actions. Idk what in PSA, I was only able to replace the animation with what I wanted via action replacement mod. Note this was pre PSA. I replaced the FS jump for in the AIR and on the GROUND (for the person who is performing it) with their second jump and I replaced the FS jump stun in the AIR (for the person getting the stun) with their normal falling animation. I think for the FS stun on the GROUND replaced with Stand animation.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I've been playing Project M for approximately 4 hours.

Great stuff, but are there any priorities in development to balance the roster further?

Falcon as of now is unbelievably broken. A well-timed Knee usually results in a gimp.

The new codeset came out today apparently, and I assume the Start button freezing the game has to do with debug purposes?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
The normal functions of start button are moved to "X+Dpad Up," for all controllers (like in the melee debug menu). The actual start button freezes the game and pressing Z advances one frame. This is only for testing purposes.

Edit: Ninja Owl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom