• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalued

Smash Lord
No, he's not. He's going under large revamps at the moment.
I know you can't say what you are changing about him, but can you say what was wrong with him in the current builds (from streams)? Was he not good enough or was there a fundemental problem with his playstyle that hindered him? Or just simple a new down B?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You know it's not that rare that this thread goes off topic into competitive Pokemon.

Sometimes I cry on how badly informed some people are.

Regardless of the order on Smogon's Analysis, the Swords Dance/Power Whip/Earthquake/Sleep Powder set was far superior for Venusaur and defined Gen IV UU after HGSS's release.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
ivy needs to keep her bair. its a nice "stay back" move. infact her fair or bair are both staples... id stick with those, and if you can come up with an alternative to uair and dair that would be sweet... with the b moves? keep razor leaf but id definitely scrap the b neutral

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
You know it's not that rare that this thread goes off topic into competitive Pokemon.

Sometimes I cry on how badly informed some people are.

Regardless of the order on Smogon's Analysis, the Swords Dance/Power Whip/Earthquake/Sleep Powder set was far superior for Venusaur and defined Gen IV UU after HGSS's release.
The best part is I'd been championing the set since DPP was released. And people called me dumb.

Given it had Seed Bomb over Power Whip and Outrage slashed in.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I stopped taking Smogon seriously a while ago.

I don't much like elitist communities. Figures of all communities to be elitist it'd be the Pokémon community.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Smogon is stupid. Those guys just ban everything instead of coming up with decent counters. The general Pokémon Online community is good, though.

Also, children's games are serious business.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You smashboards**** should stop taking a children's game so seriously :troll:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Smogon is stupid. Those guys just ban everything instead of coming up with decent counters. The general Pokémon Online community is good, though.
To be fair, Excadrill is pretty ridiculous and is pretty borderline. Every team shouldn't just have to carry Counter Gliscor or Mach Punch Conkeldurr just to beat a single thing.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
The match I put up of squirtle I never use DownB, and most of the things I do aren't being changed. He is not getting "huge revamps", rather he is getting small tweaks. His playstyle will be preserved throughout.

JCaesar, you can try out Xsplit if you want to have easy text and picture-in-picture, but it is a fact that FMLE is just better at outputting smooth good looking video if you just want to stream from one video source and one audio source.

JOE!

Smash Hero
ivy needs to keep her bair. its a nice "stay back" move. infact her fair or bair are both staples... id stick with those, and if you can come up with an alternative to uair and dair that would be sweet... with the b moves? keep razor leaf but id definitely scrap the b neutral
...which is what i did in my Ivysaur post like 2 pages back, surprised nobody's really commented on it except for Seed bomb :p

9Kplus1

Smash Master
*sigh*... I didn't say that the special attacker is Venusaur's most effective set because of how it's ordered in Smogon's analysis. I made that conclusion solely based off of usage statistics, the set's overall utility, and how easy it is to use; that defines effectiveness by both Smogon's and my standards. Unless Venusaur likes Swords Dancing vs Registeel, Moltres, Scyther, Arcanine, and the like, there's no fathomable reason as to how the average player will have less trouble using it than the special attacker. SD Scizor played a huge role in shaping the post-Platinum metagame, but CB was (and will always be) Scizor's most used and effective set even then, as it was incredibly useful in shutting down a load of OU's offensive threats while keeping pressure on defensive teams with U-turn. Other sets, such as Rotom-A's defensive set and DDMence quickly shaped the Platinum and DP metagames, respectively, but are overshadowed in terms of effectiveness by more straightforward and overall more useful sets (Choice and Mixmence).

Also, stop bashing Smogon. The community is a lot more civil than you ****s are giving it credit for; maybe if some of you actually read the PR threads fully, something that simple would be common knowledge. Everyone has an opinion on how things should be run there, just because you don't agree doesn't mean that Smogon is bad -- by any means. Furthermore, Dory razed offensive teams, boosted Rock Slide's flinch rate to a ******** 90% (or so it seemed with me .-.) and was able to keep stall teams in check by being the best mother****ing spinner in the game. I personally didn't have a problem with the ban, but it was kind of frustrating to rebuild a team that was prepared for a Thund-less Dory-filled metagame. (oh and lol, Dory checks weren't limited to Conk (who isn't a check anymore after the slightest bit of residual damage and without CB) and Gliscor. Keep in it well in mind that ScarfToed, Ninetales, Skarmory, Air Balloon Terrakion / Heatran, RestTalk Gyarados, Quagsire, Azumarill, Virizion, and Breloom all had healthy usage in the Dory metagame)

Sorry, I got called out, dammit. Back to P:M >.>...

I'm not really all that sure about Seed Bomb tbh. Wouldn't it be a lot more efficient to simply change that move to Growth instead? I mean, it already seems difficult enough to code such an idea, but Ivysaur already has solid edgeguarding and anti-air options as well as a potentially great projectile. Making the input similar to OU would be so much simpler, and it frees up Ivy's Down B so more ideas can be tossed around / used.

... and I still dream about MK having a parry window...

Izzmo

Smash Cadet
I really liked the protect idea for Ivy's down b a few pages back. It could work kinda like Marth and Ike's counter without attacking instantly. Instead you have a short window where you can decide between a few actions like pressing a for a launcher, b for razor leaf and jump for jump, giving her several defensive options. If don't press anything there should be lag as if dropping a shield, but if you press a button but miss the window, there could be a little extra endlag.

Another idea i have (dunno if it something alike has been posted already) is Grass Knot. A relatively quick move with range greater than her grab and really low hitboxes that cause tripping. It would be useful against grounded approach and out of CC without being too potent. Could also work as a new dtilt if you guys want to change hers.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Also, stop bashing Smogon. The community is a lot more civil than you ****s are giving it credit for; maybe if some of you actually read the PR threads fully, something that simple would be common knowledge. Everyone has an opinion on how things should be run there, just because you don't agree doesn't mean that Smogon is bad -- by any means.
You see, the funny part is that the people bashing Smogon here sound exactly like the casual Smash players on other sites who bash Smashboards. Remember where you guys are posting and why you're posting here before you go off on rants about other sites.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Everyone needs to get the **** back on topic.

What the **** is wrong with you guys.

Jesus christ.

Especially the people bashing another competitive gaming site. No one on smashboards, better yet, no one who plays competitive smash, as room to talk about how another site handles their bans.

Acting like a bunch of idiots.

Wampa

Smash Rookie

Jesus christ.

Especially the people bashing another competitive gaming site. No one on smashboards, better yet, no one who plays competitive smash, as room to talk about how another site handles their bans.

Acting like a bunch of idiots.
I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

:phone:

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
You see, the funny part is that the people bashing Smogon here sound exactly like the casual Smash players on other sites who bash Smashboards. Remember where you guys are posting and why you're posting here before you go off on rants about other sites.
I'm not going to sink to their level, but I will say that the casual smashers who hate smashboards are some of the most infuriating people on the Internet to me. I can understand not sharing a point of view, I don't like items but I won't judge you if you do, but criticizing someone over an opinion is flat out idiotic unless the opinion is flat out idiotic (e.g. all Muslims are terrorists). Liking items or hating random chance interfering with victory are hardly in the same category as that.

:phone:

9Kplus1

Smash Master
@The Protect / Endure 'retaliation' idea - Wouldn't that be similar to giving Ivysaur an easier parry? She has to take the hit in the initial frames and interrupt it in a short period of time in order to attack out of it. In addition, does she really have anything other than Nair that's faster enough to take advantage of it? The idea of giving Ivysaur a 'whistle' is definitely useful to her, allowing for more breathing room when recovering, which is obviously useful to a character that has almost no way of covering her *** when getting back on-stage. I still stand behind my Uair idea, though, as Ivy would really love a boost in her horizontal recovery with her new Down B.

Jesus christ.
We WERE getting back on-topic, actually.

Is it really that bad to go off-topic for one fourth of a page (at the very most), every several pages or so? Most of us tossing out suggestions almost have no way to confirm whether our ideas were rejected, considered, or used. Moreover, because we don't have our own build to fool around with, we can't even test the viability of some ideas in order to form more reliable suggestions. A little off-topic discussion at least keeps this thread active; so long as said conversations don't delve off into full- debates, then I don't see much harm in speaking about the common ground that the members posting in this thread have with each other. "Take it to another thread" is a easier said than done, especially considering that those topics are pretty minor, and don't completely derail ongoing topics.

Keep in mind that a fair amount of the people posting in and reading this thread have the attention span and commitment of a hungry squirrel. If someone makes a noticeable post, the discussion will normally shift to that particular post, or die out completely. In retrospect, it's usually a better idea to just let an off-topic conversation die on its down, despite whether it was unbridled or under control initially. We're all rational people for the most part, right? It's highly unlikely that any of the discussions here will escalate to a rough, unstoppable, sexually vigorous ****storm.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Despite the lack of active responses some suggestions may seem to receive on this thread we do indeed notice and consider substantial proposals that can enhance the overall direction of a character or can offer a unique aspect we may not have had in mind. Several Ivysaur ideas I've read here are actually quite plausible and will be tested (or at least attempted, since some ideas may not be possible due to technical limitations).

So please, by all means, keep the brainstorming going.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
We WERE getting back on-topic, actually.

Is it really that bad to go off-topic for one fourth of a page (at the very most), every several pages or so? Most of us tossing out suggestions almost have no way to confirm whether our ideas were rejected, considered, or used. Moreover, because we don't have our own build to fool around with, we can't even test the viability of some ideas in order to form more reliable suggestions. A little off-topic discussion at least keeps this thread active; so long as said conversations don't delve off into full- debates, then I don't see much harm in speaking about the common ground that the members posting in this thread have with each other. "Take it to another thread" is a easier said than done, especially considering that those topics are pretty minor, and don't completely derail ongoing topics.

Keep in mind that a fair amount of the people posting in and reading this thread have the attention span and commitment of a hungry squirrel. If someone makes a noticeable post, the discussion will normally shift to that particular post, or die out completely. In retrospect, it's usually a better idea to just let an off-topic conversation die on its down, despite whether it was unbridled or under control initially. We're all rational people for the most part, right? It's highly unlikely that any of the discussions here will escalate to a rough, unstoppable, sexually vigorous ****storm.

yes. stop going off-topic as much as possible. it doesn't really add to the thread. going off topic in order to "keep a thread alive" is unnecessary. if the topic dies down because of a lack of conversation, so be it. but considering the growing following of P:M and the regular content fed from streams, this topic dying down is one of the things least likely to happen.

also, you don't need a confirmation that your ideas are being read and/or considered. because they always are being read and/or considered.

there is no justification for it.

:mad:

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
this has to be a joke. It's not humanly possible to be this stupid
A good stabbing could solve this whole akuma problem
Is this really necessary you *******s? Really? Just because I'm asking a question?

There actually was a Roy build at one point in time, back when Dantarion was still on the team. I assume that it was scrapped, what with work on the Clone Engine being unfinished as is, and no one to work on it (at least, as far as I know).
This should give you an idea of how long it's been since I followed this.

I think he died in a horrible fishing accident...
This was funny

PEEF!

Smash Hero
yes. stop going off-topic as much as possible. it doesn't really add to the thread. going off topic in order to "keep a thread alive" is unnecessary. if the topic dies down because of a lack of conversation, so be it. but considering the growing following of P:M and the regular content fed from streams, this topic dying down is one of the things least likely to happen.

also, you don't need a confirmation that your ideas are being read and/or considered. because they always are being read and/or considered.

there is no justification for it.

:mad:
I don't think it matters at all.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
This is me posting about Ivysaur.

I think the same should be done to his dair as was done to Lucario. Is uair, however, could be perfect to quickly get back on the ground, l-cancel, and follow up with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom