• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
speaking of firefox, doesn't seem you can aim it as well as Melee. I keep missing the damn ledge when aiming diagonally downwards. can this be fixed?
Are you trying to sweetspot it? You gotta let go of control stick before u touch the ledge :x

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I have a few matches of my Wolf, Strong Bad approved of my Wolf and said it was the best Wolf he's seen so far which I was very pleased to hear lol :D

The Grand Finals aren't up yet which is annoying (since I actually played a lot better there and convincingly won) but you can check out some of the matches up now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9vL5uPdDwo&feature=channel&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsHvNfmf_uE&feature=relmfu

Subscribe for future matches which will definitely be recorded with a Capture Card, Commentary, and we're setting up that little webcam thingy so you can see the players

Edit - Sonic is very annoying to fight lol

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Wait, you played better than that in GFs?

Meaning you can play Wolf better than that?

Now I'm hyped.

Also, it feels weird to see the character from my avatar in toaster's sig. It's like I'm invading his posts.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
LOL Thanks, and yeah in the Grand Finals I nearly 4 stocked JJlinyard 3 times during the 2 sets at just felt like I was playing overall more solid and figured out how to get around Sonic's annoying spinny stuff

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The default is that sigs only show up after quotes. I believe you can change that in settings.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
feels great doesn't it? you can't just carelessly chase your opponent offstage and expect to make it back every time. you gotta actually space your recoveries now :bee:
it looks and works much better this way though imo. Some characters in melee could grab the ledge backwards but only before they went into special fall. Now that it functions that way it makes more sense.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Do you think that P:M will ever be at a point where it's truly "finished" but it still receives periodic updates to keep the AI up to date with the metagame?

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Do you think that P:M will ever be at a point where it's truly "finished" but it still receives periodic updates to keep the AI up to date with the metagame?
Great ****ing question. That'd be sick if the AI got updates post release of the final build.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Is there a certain version of USB loader that I need to use? Or can any version of it supposedly work.

Mottie

Smash Rookie
Nope. Because multiplayer games tend to have a fluctuating metagame that will cause imbalances between characters just solely because different features of the characters become more desirable. To 'finish' would probably cause a tier system to permanently develop as the most exploitable traits of characters begin to expose themselves. As such it'd be logical, to keep the mod both fresh and competitive to stir the pot every once in a while, though a literal constant stream of updates might not be necessary, tweaks here and there will more than likely be made, and more than just to the AI. Try to think of something like Starcraft, where it'll probably keep getting updates throughout it's lifespan, even if the game is 'functional', it'll never quite be perfect enough to warrant a "Okay, we're done here, lets pack up and go home" response from the devs.

Obviously, you've never met Female Symbol.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
To 'finish' would probably cause a tier system to permanently develop as the most exploitable traits of characters begin to expose themselves. As such it'd be logical, to keep the mod both fresh and competitive to stir the pot every once in a while
Well, uh, I'm pretty sure that they said that they don't want to do that or else it will turn into Brawl+ 2.0. My question was more about the AI specifically and whether they'd continue to make updates solely to improve it.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Nope. Because multiplayer games tend to have a fluctuating metagame that will cause imbalances between characters just solely because different features of the characters become more desirable. To 'finish' would probably cause a tier system to permanently develop as the most exploitable traits of characters begin to expose themselves. As such it'd be logical, to keep the mod both fresh and competitive to stir the pot every once in a while, though a literal constant stream of updates might not be necessary, tweaks here and there will more than likely be made, and more than just to the AI. Try to think of something like Starcraft, where it'll probably keep getting updates throughout it's lifespan, even if the game is 'functional', it'll never quite be perfect enough to warrant a "Okay, we're done here, lets pack up and go home" response from the devs.

Obviously, you've never met Female Symbol.
For whoever said that they don't want this to turn into brawl+ 2.0, I think that refers to the fact that they shouldn't be releasing patches ALL the time. Something like a patch every year is fine though, and I think that would be very healthy for the game to constantly be breathing life (hype, new content, bug fixes, easter eggs, etc) into it. I don't think it's a bad idea to have it something like starcraft where the game is never "truely" finished, but at the same time, you can't have the flow of new content be often, otherwise people will lose interest and will be spoiled, so we won't be amazed by patches anymore.

A new version a year sounds good imo. It's a good balance between having new content and what happened with brawl+.

Oh, and I've met "female". Have you heard yellow version MissingNo's true cry?

You guys should all seriously watch that guy's "Lets Glitch Pokemon Yellow" series. It's amazing, scary, funny, and weird all at the same time.

Mottie

Smash Rookie
For whoever said that they don't want this to turn into brawl+ 2.0, I think that refers to the fact that they shouldn't be releasing patches ALL the time. Something like a patch every year is fine though, and I think that would be very healthy for the game to constantly be breathing life (hype, new content, bug fixes, easter eggs, etc) into it. I don't think it's a bad idea to have it something like starcraft where the game is never "truly" finished, but at the same time, you can't have the flow of new content be often, otherwise people will lose interest and will be spoiled, so we won't be amazed by patches anymore.

A new version a year sounds good imo. It's a good balance between having new content and what happened with brawl+.

Oh, and I've met "female". Have you heard yellow version MissingNo's true cry?

You guys should all seriously watch that guy's "Lets Glitch Pokemon Yellow" series. It's amazing, scary, funny, and weird all at the same time.
Well, it depends. Content patches, balance patches and the likes, obviously should be a little bit more sparse so that they don't burn the gamers out with new content, but bug fixes should be well, put out post-haste. Like these particular fixes in patch 2.1 came out rather quickly that's good. Also emergency balance patches (like, something that's almost exploit-level) should be the second priority. Meta-game-based changes though should be slower yes, to allow the meta-game to actually grow before it gets changed around. The actual time though is seriously up to the devs, aka, the "Goon Development Cycle" where the team isn't pressured by deadlines, that is.

Also: As for breaking stuff in LPs, That yellow LP is a good VLP (I've seen it before) but nothing beats informative breaking-stuff power of Breaking Blue which also covers why the game breaks in the first place.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Has anyone actually tried to make a tier list for this game, OBVIOUSLY not an official one (as the game hasn't been out that long and it's still the demo), but just a rough friendly attempt at it with a few or a lot of characters?
I would be curious to see what peoples opinions are on the seemingly top tier characters AND also the seemingly bottom tier characters as I've heard different opinions

I would put Wolf as a Top Tier character, haven't seen anyonelse put him there yet :(
Also Lucario & I actually think Wario will be pretty high as well

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Everyone's "tierlist" will be varied from one another depending on their experience with ProjectM thus far.

For example, in BC, from our experiences, we generally feel that wario, pit, ROB, snake, charizard and perhaps sonic are on the lower end of the tier spectrum, while we generally feel that wolf, fox, falco ike and lucario to be very likely canidates for a top-tier spot.

A different region might have it completely upside down because they might have amazing players that use characters that BC thinks aren't very good. It's all subjective at this point since there aren't many major tournament results to determine anything for sure, or hell, even generally.

The bottom line is: It's way too early, even for a prototype tier-list.

However, if you feel compelled to discuss it further, I believe that there is a thread on the P:M SmashMods General forum that discusses tier placement. (ninja'd by 9k)

kaizo13

Smash Champion
lol judging by those "tier lists" it seems like a lot of people don't know how to play Ness
seems like people just place all the characters that they don't play or know how to play at the bottom. tsk tsk
nobody plays r.o.b so he's low tier. lol what?

Edit: 'daze I find the Snake/Zelda MU to be rather even, yet you have them 4 tiers apart o_O

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Well, like I said:

That's just my personal tierlist of how I view the cast based on my experience, not based on who is the best to who is the worst from an objective point of view- solely because it's impossible to do at the moment.

I definitely feel like Ness has a ton of potential, but the way I see it, (based on my experience) he is a mid-low tier character. Not to say that he's bad, I just don't see him as good as the other characters in the cast.

And again, about the snake/zelda MU: from an objective point of view, it's impossible to determine the entire MU at this time as the metagame still needs alot more time to develop. But even if the MU was even, Zelda can still be higher placed than snake, just like how Younglink can be argued as an even MU against Jiggs in Melee, yet are leagues apart in terms of tier placement from each other.

jalued

Smash Lord
Well, like I said:

That's just my personal tierlist of how I view the cast based on my experience, not based on who is the best to who is the worst from an objective point of view- solely because it's impossible to do at the moment.

I definitely feel like Ness has a ton of potential, but the way I see it, (based on my experience) he is a mid-low tier character. Not to say that he's bad, I just don't see him as good as the other characters in the cast.

And again, about the snake/zelda MU: from an objective point of view, it's impossible to determine the entire MU at this time as the metagame still needs alot more time to develop. But even if the MU was even, Zelda can still be higher placed than snake, just like how Younglink can be argued as an even MU against Jiggs in Melee, yet are leagues apart in terms of tier placement from each other.
Ness has the potential to 0-death 99% of the cast from upthrow/dthrow.

I think it is hard for people to understand that mid tier in PM would probably be low high tier in melee :p

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Lol, see! Exactly.

Never in my own experience was I aware of the fact that Ness had that kind of capability. So naturally I put him near the bottom since I don't know how good he really is. The same goes for any other character I ranked lower than people might think they deserve.

In the end, there's so much information that we don't know about in PM to accurately create an official tierlist, so making one is impossible. So there's no need to bash anyone about the tier list that they made because it's just how they view the cast from their own experiences. None of the tierlists from that thread are official in any way, and to think so is a bit silly, seeing as it's just a bunch of random people posting their opinions in a thread lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom