• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxThunder

PM Support
so... when they started PM on the zenith stream yesterday, there was this incredibly awezome intro vid...

... can i have it?.. it's so awezome... i must have it... my PM won't be complete without it...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
...?
"He refuses to use his Melee characters for some reason"
should answer that question

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
The fact that Hbox won project M kind of put a huge stain of **** on it for me personally... -_-. More specifically a Puff. Then again it's kind of the point to make everyone competitively viable without nerfing and well the results do show a very mixed placing. I still want to see what happens when regional or even national tournaments get start happening.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yeah, I think Pikachu's Down-Special doesn't really seem to get enough attention, it's incredibly useful when used right.
Yeah, that's the thing. It has to be used right- it's pretty situational imo since its best uses are ground recovery setups and edgeguarding. You can argue it's a great move for killing since it's basically an OHKO if the opponent is high enough in the air but many characters can reflect/absorb it, hurting Pikachu more (This may not be as much of an issue in P:M because of Melee hitstun, but yeah). It's a very timing heavy move and if it misses you have a lot of lag to pay unless you either do it in the air and fall away from the hitbox or you wavecancel it.

G

genkaku

what's up with all the hbox hate?
A really really good player won the tournament with their melee main, a character that they had a large part in inventing. I'm sorry, but if hbox's puff, the best puff in the world, lost the tournament to someone that just picked up a new character from demo 2 a month or two ago that would raise extremely uncomfortable questions about PM. It's not a stain at all, it's a huge confirmation that skill transfers from melee to PM as well as the developers had hoped.

and played to win? You're right, jalued, hbox should have played to lose. He and everyone else that put their money on the line should have played falcon free for alls on yoshis. And then maybe they could have raffled off the pot. >.>

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Yeah really.. H box won because he's was the best player playing in that tourney. And if he's not fun to watch but that's whatever. I'm glad he entered. He was playing it almost as much as melee this weekend.

Also in case you were wondering. M2k used puff as well.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Sonic's Offstage game, Grab Game, Kill Set Up's, Lack of Bair/Nair/Uair, Escapes, and no F-Smash.

I don't want to go into to much detail because i don't know how long you've been playing Sonic. But what i do notice is that you over use sonic's new moves, and disregard a lot of sonic's old ones. For example "Fair" you use it for everything. And you abuse Sonic's Specials way to much, which make it hard for you to set up kills even more, all i see is mostly combo attempts.

You aren't, but it does look like that because you play so reckless with Sonic.
As someone who plays Leelue on a weekly basis, I think I can offer an opinion here....

He has plenty of offstage game, moreso in matchups against more easily gimpable characters. I use DK a lot, and it's more difficult to gimp DK as opposed to say, Fox/Falco.

Escapes? All he does is escape lol. Like 90% of the match he's escaping. Here I was thinking that Spring time has passed. *cues laugh track*

Kill set ups. Yea, with all those amazing Sonic kill moves. Like that slow predictable dsmash. His best one by far is fsmash, but it's not exactly easy to get somebody who is high level with that. Admittedly he could nair/bair more, but it seems much easier to criticize someone based on matches they don't win.

He definitely abuses fair a lot, yea. It's almost out of desperation for the move to be good, when it clearly isn't.

Every time I watch Leelue play somebody that isn't me, I hear them endlessly rage about how broken Sonic is.... so don't go by his matches vs. me, because I **** all *****es. Word.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
The fact that Hbox won project M kind of put a huge stain of **** on it for me personally... -_-. More specifically a Puff. Then again it's kind of the point to make everyone competitively viable without nerfing and well the results do show a very mixed placing. I still want to see what happens when regional or even national tournaments get start happening.
Pro Melee player is able to win Project M with his Melee main? That should be considered a good sign, if anything.

Don't let your personal character bias cloud the actual implications of what happened.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
He has plenty of offstage game, moreso in matchups against more easily gimpable characters. I use DK a lot, and it's more difficult to gimp DK as opposed to say, Fox/Falco.
I guess i'd have to see more of his work, but every time i watch a match of his (playing Sonic) he never leaves the stage, only edge guards.

Escapes? All he does is escape lol. Like 90% of the match he's escaping. Here I was thinking that Spring time has passed. *cues laugh track*
All i see him do is rush, attack, and Dash Dance. Very few times have i seen him really try to avoid an attack, and when i thought he would he'd try to squeeze in an attack. And i don't know what you mean by "Here I was thinking that Spring time has passed.

Kill set ups. Yea, with all those amazing Sonic kill moves. Like that slow predictable dsmash. His best one by far is fsmash, but it's not exactly easy to get somebody who is high level with that. Admittedly he could nair/bair more, but it seems much easier to criticize someone based on matches they don't win.
I don't think you know what a kill setup is.....or maybe you know them a leads?

I dunno....But Sonic has like 4 different kill setups,.....5 really but that last 1 is kinda hard to pull of in melee's physics.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I don't think it's a bad thing that Puff won, but one of the things I like about Melee and P:M is that they can be almost as fun to watch as they are to play. I know the PMBR's goal isn't to make a spectator sport of P:M and that Puff is only one character, but in my experience Puff is usually pretty boring to watch. Unfortunately there's really nothing that can be done to improve that if he's to be true to his Melee incarnation though.

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Why is it that people find Puff boring to watch? I've always found Hbox's puff to be really entertaining.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The fact that Hbox won project M kind of put a huge stain of **** on it for me personally... -_-.
Oh my God, shut the **** up. He's the ****ing second best Melee player in the world, playing the closest simulacrum of his Melee main currently possible in a game that seeks to be as close as possible to Melee's gameplay.

I am sick and tired of people ****ting on Hbox specifically and puff in general because they don't want to sit down and attempt to understand how much work actually goes into that way of playing the game. Can we as a community grow the **** up and get past it already?

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Some people just just don't understand how freaking good h box is and appreacte the way he plays. He makes It looks easy when it's really not.
It has nothing to do with not understanding how good HBox is, I just don't like watching Puff most of the time. M2K is excellent at Brawl and I'm sure he's put considerable time into being good at it, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't like watching Brawl most of the time.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
The fact that Hbox won project M kind of put a huge stain of **** on it for me personally... -_-. More specifically a Puff.
yeh i h8 project m now becuz hungay box win a tournament and all he does is bair bair bair itz so unfar 4 everbody plying lke a man like meng0 and project m neds to b patchd out so u cant win by ding puff gey and cheep stuff u gota ply wth skill and honor u no wut i mean?

Mottie

Smash Rookie
Yeah, that's the thing. It has to be used right- it's pretty situational imo since its best uses are ground recovery setups and edgeguarding. You can argue it's a great move for killing since it's basically an OHKO if the opponent is high enough in the air but many characters can reflect/absorb it, hurting Pikachu more (This may not be as much of an issue in P:M because of Melee hitstun, but yeah). It's a very timing heavy move and if it misses you have a lot of lag to pay unless you either do it in the air and fall away from the hitbox or you wavecancel it.
: Actually, the canceled thunder is pretty much impossible to punish, as not only you've switched your momentum, but you've effectively created a fast force field against anyone who is on the other end of it and pikachu can move out of it if he short hop cancels his thunder. Especially if it's against a character that's off stage, then he's just stuffed through and through. The move has a high learning curve and I actually really enjoy that about Pikachu. That and his U-smash is pretty satisfying to land.

Also: I was discussing this with Saph earlier when I was practicing against the AIs, but I feel that the AIs aren't exactly as aggressive as they should be, even on level 9. It'd be really interesting if the AI was considered to be level '9' for most if not all of the settings, however the behavior was changed from a passive, reactive level 1 to an aggressive, offensive level 9 AI instead of it's own 'skill' changing as the level is changed.

It also bears repeating that Skyloft is absolutely beautifully done.

As for Hbox: I don't see what's wrong with playing a well spaced Puff, you guys should probably not worry about that so much, I can understand making a show but it's kinda how Jiggs winds up being played because of her frailty.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I can't believe the salty whining of some long-time thread contributors here. Well actually from some spammers I do *cough*

I thought the whole point of PM was not really to get IGN interested but to have the best tourney players in the world play the game seriously and endorse it as not just another cheap homebrew hack but the Real Deal and a True Successor to Melee?

Well now you have that, HBox and other pros will sing the games praises and it will only grow in popularity to the point if your serious about Melee-style Smash, you need a PM side tourney at your Smash event to be taken seriously. That's the damn truth kids! :cool:

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I can't believe the salty whining of some long-time thread contributors here.

I thought the whole point of PM was not really to get IGN interested but to have the best tourney players in the world play the game seriously and endorse it as not just another cheap homebrew hack but the Real Deal and a True Successor to Melee?

Well now you have that, HBox and other pros will sing the games praises and it will only grow in popularity to the point if your serious about Melee-style Smash, you need a PM side tourney at your Smash event to be taken seriously. That's the damn truth kids! :cool:
Fact stated...

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Soooo Ill post some more P:M specific zenith shout outs here.

JCeazer - yooooooo really fun close exciting games. Everytime I have a gripe about this game I'm gonna assume you made it specifically to make me rage:) what's your your YouTube account for the tourney vids. I did good over on your setup lol

Toaster and monk: GGs. Toast getting a taste of my actual melee Mario in singles melee pools:) but props for coming.. ALL THE WAY FROM WI.. Jesusssssss

Gun blaze: yooooooooo my favorite set of the tourney. It was fun doing commentary this weekend with ya! Sad I didn't see you day two. But yooooooo WHY'D YOU HAVE TO GO ALL BRAWL ON ME.. Looooool

One guy who's tag I can't remember although I deff should.. :(
We played some spacies vs my Dedede and you were chill. Chillllllll :)

Chibo: I had a feeling you played one of those new fancy characters and I was sweatinnn. I have a really good feel for the Mario sheik MU in both this and melee so worked out for me. But deff wasn't free. GGs :)

everyone else there that posts and lurks here. You ****. This game is really cool.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Oh my God, shut the **** up. He's the ****ing second best Melee player in the world, playing the closest simulacrum of his Melee main currently possible in a game that seeks to be as close as possible to Melee's gameplay.

I am sick and tired of people ****ting on Hbox specifically and puff in general because they don't want to sit down and attempt to understand how much work actually goes into that way of playing the game. Can we as a community grow the **** up and get past it already?
This, and also the way that people generalize an entire character and its playstyle based on the way that LITERALLY ONE SINGLE PERSON plays it. Any time someone makes a post like that, I just assume that they're new players and haven't seen any other Jigglypuffs ever play.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Soooo Ill post some more P:M specific zenith shout outs here.

JCeazer - yooooooo really fun close exciting games. Everytime I have a gripe about this game I'm gonna assume you made it specifically to make me rage:) what's your your YouTube account for the tourney vids. I did good over on your setup lol

Toaster and monk: GGs. Toast getting a taste of my actual melee Mario in singles melee pools:) but props for coming.. ALL THE WAY FROM WI.. Jesusssssss

Gun blaze: yooooooooo my favorite set of the tourney. It was fun doing commentary this weekend with ya! Sad I didn't see you day two. But yooooooo WHY'D YOU HAVE TO GO ALL BRAWL ON ME.. Looooool

One guy who's tag I can't remember although I deff should.. :(
We played some spacies vs my Dedede and you were chill. Chillllllll :)

Chibo: I had a feeling you played one of those new fancy characters and I was sweatinnn. I have a really good feel for the Mario sheik MU in both this and melee so worked out for me. But deff wasn't free. GGs :)

everyone else there that posts and lurks here. You ****. This game is really cool.

Brah Ryoko took a **** on you what happened?

Any footage of the P:M tourney at Zenith? If it's being uploaded to a specific YT channel can I have the link pls

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Lol I missed all my wall jump up bs.
Plus I have never seen a project M Zelda and its so different then melee..
I play one of if not the best Zelda's in melee all the time. (theLake) so it was different.. Lol but no johns cuz I lost to j ceazers marth and he's preee much the same. Just got outplayed.

But j ceazer has all the zenith stuff. I played a lot better on his setup compared to the live stream.

Me vs gun blaze for set of the tourney.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
: Actually, the canceled thunder is pretty much impossible to punish, as not only you've switched your momentum, but you've effectively created a fast force field against anyone who is on the other end of it and pikachu can move out of it if he short hop cancels his thunder. Especially if it's against a character that's off stage, then he's just stuffed through and through. The move has a high learning curve and I actually really enjoy that about Pikachu. That and his U-smash is pretty satisfying to land.

Also: I was discussing this with Saph earlier when I was practicing against the AIs, but I feel that the AIs aren't exactly as aggressive as they should be, even on level 9. It'd be really interesting if the AI was considered to be level '9' for most if not all of the settings, however the behavior was changed from a passive, reactive level 1 to an aggressive, offensive level 9 AI instead of it's own 'skill' changing as the level is changed.
True true about short hop canceling and the learning curve. And usmash is way too satisfying. :3

Yeah, about the AI's, it would be pretty interesting if level 1 was purely defensive and level 9 was purely offensive. That would make the most human like CPUs level 5.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I probably would have done better if my controller was actually working instead of having to reset the controller aftr every match and if I had gone all falcon instead of using bowser.

Doing doubles with vanguard was awesome. It sucks that I triple knee'd you on a accident though.
I can't wait to play you guys again at FC Legacy. :)

Mottie

Smash Rookie

Yeah, about the AI's, it would be pretty interesting if level 1 was purely defensive and level 9 was purely offensive. That would make the most human like CPUs level 5.
Not necessarily, the most *balanced* CPU would be at level 5, but the most 'human' like would vary because of flaws in the AI (they love to walk into charged smashes no matter what difficulty you're playing on and they can't truly play the game of minds), and characters having optimal play styles or metagames that are biased towards an offensive or defensive play style. However, it'd make the AI more dynamic and the player more capable of 'practicing' against different styles of play, which in my opinion is highly important because people are all different.

I just had another idea though, what if we used another modifier (like handicap is being used for buffer) to change another trait of the AI (Either skill or some other trait like Reactive/Proactive Offensive/Defensive [they're not the same]) so that there can be as many as 90 combinations of AI rather than just 9. At that point though that'd be asking the devs to suicide themselves on the traits of the AI rather than focusing on what's really important here which is gameplay.

The AI is a nice little treat because not everyone is exactly able to find a partner to play against 24/7, however, the main focus is the mechanics and the gameplay, the AI certainly can wait a bit if it means getting a polished game for multiplayer first. Though thinking of ways to improve the AI is fun, I'd personally like to see a few new characters come out first.

So lets speculate on who is coming out next , shall we?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I think that stingers is completely wrong.

I think a character that's already in PM will come out next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom