• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
this is probably known, but here goes.

when you grab someone with dk on a platform, cargo them, then drop through the platform it makes dk sink into the stage.

just incase this isnt found, but i bet it is.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
1) Your lucario texture is weird.
2) You misspelled 'friendlies' in your twitch stream description.
the texture is purple deoxis, not my favorite but the one i was using.
I wil eventually fix the spelling.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
My personal favorite is the akatski (spelling) winged lucairio that i used earlier in the vid, but i like the deoxys skins, theyre cool

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Anonymous on May 30, 2012 at 1:29 pm said:

WRONG, you said it yourself you trip when you dash, your hitting another button too quickly and changing your mind too quickly thats why you trip. And i’ve played the game almost everyday since its come out so yea i consider myself a pro.

This man is a legend.
Of course he is. He's the first person to realize Sakurai's genius with Brawl. Sakurai wasn't trying to make a fighting game- he was covertly testing the mind reading capabilities of the Wii. Smash on Wii U is rumored to take advantage of the mind control functions of the Wii U tablet controller, which if all goes according to plan will give Nintendo control of the world.

leffen

Smash Champion
Is there any GOOD Lucario players/footage?

I wanna see if anyone uses the techniques I found and how people handle his horrible flaws.

also those 2 combos are ****ing horrible

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Training mode, doesn't count.

Edit: Didn't realize that there was another page. I'm referring to the Lucario combo video on a CPU from the previous page.

iLink

Smash Champion
You lucarios need to learn how to use those aurasphere cancels to combo

I need to try to get some videos up

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Of course he is. He's the first person to realize Sakurai's genius with Brawl. Sakurai wasn't trying to make a fighting game- he was covertly testing the mind reading capabilities of the Wii. Smash on Wii U is rumored to take advantage of the mind control functions of the Wii U tablet controller, which if all goes according to plan will give Nintendo control of the world.
best post

and how people handle his horrible flaws.
Flaws? Please enlighten me, as I play a skilled Lucario player and I've found no such flaws (I main Pika btw)

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Also, training mode combos don't even count as real "fake combos" if the CPU is in its idle animation at any point. You can excuse no DI and no teching as CPU flaws, but if the CPU goes into the waiting pose then the whole interaction is over.

iLink

Smash Champion
Lucario has pretty bad approach options outside of his dash attack. None of his aerials are really good for approaching. Landing a hit with him is generally hard. Connecting hits together is where he excels.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Lucario's overB is a little stupid though. Can't even shield against UTDZac, he just cancels into palm and I get grabbed even if I'm buffering a roll =(

iLink

Smash Champion
It's actually kind of hard to force that sideb on shield IMO. Dash attack too often and they learn to bait and and punish the whiff. Jab is alright but you still need to get in range for jab.

leffen

Smash Champion
you play someone who is better than you and you are probably bad.

oh and WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SHIELDING AGAINST LUCARIO AGAIN?

Aura cancel combos are a nice concept but they are badly designed
his back air and neutral air should REALLY be reverted to his old animations because they are awkward as **** now

Honestly all of his aerials/his jump arc should be changed a bit imo, it all feel extremely unnatural

Lucarios ideas are all great, but he needs a more refined feel to him.
Probably the best character atm but it won't be reached because no one is gonna have enough brawl+melee+sf exp and the community is too small to work out all of his (overpowered)option selects

I guess I'll finally write my Yoshi essay and get into the PMBR since no one else seem to play him

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
How do you punish dash attack? Seriously =/ the only thing I've come up with that works is "get the hell out of the way", and that can't work if theres no room to run. Maybe its not as good as I feel it is because I play Sonic, I don't have any moves that beat it out.

Jab x2 is the optimal reaction for lucarios opponent missing a grab. Did they get hit? Cancel into palm for damage. Did they sidedodge after? Lol multiple jabs, cancel into palm for damage. Did they shield? Lol cancel into palm for free damage. Only thing that gets you out of it is buffering a roll away the instant your grab whiff is over and hoping they didn't react in time to hit you on your roll start up.

Overall hes a really cool character and I don't think palm is actually broken or anything, its just kinda dumb that he completely removes his opponents option to defend.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
He is better than me, and I do need more experience, but these matches were early in 2.0 release where neither of us had much P:M experience and we were just starting to figure out the changes/buffs to characters. Overall he has a much larger history of Smash in general so I expected him to be better, but I do observe my matches closely and I couldn't find any flaws at the time because he worked so well with them. Was just curious for future reference is all, but I know better than to shield next time, lol.

iLink

Smash Champion
Simply jumping over his dash attack screws him over because it has a significant cooldown lol. Since you are sonic, you can just do a dair or homing attack to punish it.

Not to mention lucario's options are pretty limited in air-to-air situations

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yeah, I definitely noticed he was limited in the air, but his combos always made up for it. Get hit once, take ridiculous damage via chain combo, get some hits on him, he hits you again once + chain combo, rinse and repeat. I could get stocks off of him but he always won.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Lucario's overB is a little stupid though. Can't even shield against UTDZac, he just cancels into palm and I get grabbed even if I'm buffering a roll =(
I just have one tiny question... something i've been wondering about for years...
Why do people call it overB?.. what is the logic with that?..

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Sure, if the Lucario is throwing it out straightforward I could jump over it, dash attack isn't that good (which is one of the reasons its not broken, he can't just throw it out).

But picture this situation. You're on stage against Lucario, a bit out of range of his jab. Hes about to dash attack. What do you do? Jumping isn't fast enough at that distance. Can't shield. Rolling away doesn't get you far enough. Side dodging doesn't usually work, dash attack has a lot of active frames. Unless your character has a good escape or a really beefy move to beat him out, you're pretty much always going to end up getting palmed.

...he truly is a Marvel 3 character, lol

leffen

Smash Champion
How do you punish dash attack? Seriously =/ the only thing I've come up with that works is "get the hell out of the way", and that can't work if theres no room to run. Maybe its not as good as I feel it is because I play Sonic, I don't have any moves that beat it out.

Jab x2 is the optimal reaction for lucarios opponent missing a grab. Did they get hit? Cancel into palm for damage. Did they sidedodge after? Lol multiple jabs, cancel into palm for damage. Did they shield? Lol cancel into palm for free damage. Only thing that gets you out of it is buffering a roll away the instant your grab whiff is over and hoping they didn't react in time to hit you on your roll start up.

Overall hes a really cool character and I don't think palm is actually broken or anything, its just kinda dumb that he completely removes his opponents option to defend.
youre dumb

just spotdodge lucarios dash attack and **** him for free
it also has ****ty priority and you can simply attack him during his "dash back" during dash dancing since he has no options then

about jab x2
what is CC? you play roy, you should know a bit about it sheesh
also, spotdodge after 2nd jab ***** palm. Buffer jump/roll ***** palm. You can shield grab any of lucarios jabs and the force palm

Lucarios best option on the ground isn't force palm, force palm is only good as a airgrab

Lucario still has mixups on shield, but his ground game mixups are extremely complicated and hard to use and in the end, infinitely inferior to fox/falco/wolf/lucas/any character with a good grab game

Dash attack is just super overrated. Sure, you cannot shield and punish it for free, but since when can you shield a ****ing grab? Grabs, who have higher reward, less lag and who beat CC for free

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Training mode, doesn't count.

Edit: Didn't realize that there was another page. I'm referring to the Lucario combo video on a CPU from the previous page.
Combo video?
I was just demonstrating what i loved about lucario.

also, upsmash overb looks so cool.

leffen

Smash Champion
Sure, if the Lucario is throwing it out straightforward I could jump over it, dash attack isn't that good (which is one of the reasons its not broken, he can't just throw it out).

But picture this situation. You're on stage against Lucario, a bit out of range of his jab. Hes about to dash attack. What do you do? Jumping isn't fast enough at that distance. Can't shield. Rolling away doesn't get you far enough. Side dodging doesn't usually work, dash attack has a lot of active frames. Unless your character has a good escape or a really beefy move to beat him out, you're pretty much always going to end up getting palmed.

...he truly is a Marvel 3 character, lol
LOL
get yourself together

First off, realize how slow he runs. He will take a while to start running. Any good poke will stuff lucario at this range. You will EASILYYY have time to jump (its hitbox is very low, just like sheiks but its much slower and worse) and Lucarios SHFFL is terrible. You can dash back. You can spotdodge. You can roll either way, and still punish his dash attack.

You can CC if you're under 60.

Yes, Sonic may not be able to do all of these things super well. Sonic is a terrible character at that range (and overall). Bad matchups exists.

and comparing this to a sheik who can do the sh fair/needle/empty/dj/etc spacing and still has a good CC, shield, and grab/dash attack game

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I just have one tiny question... something i've been wondering about for years...
Why do people call it overB?.. what is the logic with that?..
o·ver
adverb
26. from side to side; across; to the other side: to sail over.

SideB is a bit more obvious, but overB is just how I've always said it *shrug*

youre dumb
OIC
I suppose I'll pretend you didn't type that and continue discussing things like a decent human being

Responses are in bold and color.

just spotdodge lucarios dash attack and **** him for free
it also has ****ty priority and you can simply attack him during his "dash back" during dash dancing since he has no options then

If you can dash dance around the dash attack, hes not using it in the context that I've described to you. I've already said that if he just throws dash attacks around its not very good.

about jab x2
what is CC? you play roy, you should know a bit about it sheesh
also, spotdodge after 2nd jab ***** palm. Buffer jump/roll ***** palm. You can shield grab any of lucarios jabs and the force palm

Crouch cancelling is one of the few ways to get out of it, but then you're still limited to just rolling out unless your character has a ridiculously fast start up move. If you aren't buffering a roll as soon as possible, you get palmed.
Buffering roll from shield does not beat it. The timing for comboing jab into palm is the same timing as cancelling into palm from blocked jabs, and if the first jab hits your shield and the Lucario does jabs as fast as he can (which he has no reason no to), then you're never out of shield stun enough to start up the buffered roll. Buffered spot dodge and buffered jump I'm admittedly not sure about.

Lucario still has mixups on shield, but his ground game mixups are extremely complicated and hard to use and in the end, infinitely inferior to fox/falco/wolf/lucas/any character with a good grab game

I'm not saying he has a good mix up game. There is no mixup involved. If he gets in the situation where he can get a jab/dash attack in, Lucario can simply cancel into overB and get a free palm. There are very few ways to get out of this. It cuts away 90% of the defensive game.

Dash attack is just super overrated. Sure, you cannot shield and punish it for free, but since when can you shield a ****ing grab? Grabs, who have higher reward, less lag and who beat CC for free

Grabs also generally don't have the large active frames and range that Lucario's dash attack do.
@ Second post; there is no running involved. Instant dash attack in the context I've described. Dashing away does not work (even as Sonic).

If you want to be snide, thats cool, but if so I have better things to do with my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom