• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA Character Submission Topic v2

SonicBurst

Smash Apprentice
These are some good chars. My collection is almost complete. Still need a hack for wario, zss, dk, triple d, and maybe a new wolf.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
and just when I thought this thread was coming back from necrothreadism. Come on, I want to see some more cool, overlooked hacks like beast ganon!

SaxMeister13

Smash Rookie
Since this thread is a ways down on the list, let me clarify...is this still the proper place for PSA submissions, rather than creating a thread?

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Next build of Shadow Beast Ganon is up!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fn0iydjyrjv/ShadowBeastGanon1.1.zip

Changes since last version:
Invisibility now causes his power to drain twice as fast as before.
He is now able to use items, but only when he's visible. If he becomes invisible, he just drops them.
Final Smash now has a working animation without a T-Stance, and causes him to become invisible right after using it.
Using Down-B while invisible causes him to reappear and strike a pose, sending out a burst of energy to damage nearby enemies.
UTilt graphical error fixed.
Darkness effect on Up and Side smashes.
Minor sound fix on B neutral.
Bair now turns him around. Not that it matters much, seeing as how his Fair and Bair are pretty much exactly the same, but it fits better with the animation.
Side-B changed to Skull Rush! Same animation as before, but he now rushes forward while doing it, sort of like a mix of Ganondorf and DK's Side-B. It's good for surprise attacks and can also be used for recoveries, but like the Flame Choke, can potentially send you over the ledge if you're not careful. Unlike Flame Choke, though, it does not put you into helpless, so if you're quick, you can still use Up B to recover.

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
Since this thread is a ways down on the list, let me clarify...is this still the proper place for PSA submissions, rather than creating a thread?
It's arguable... This is the proper place for PSA submissions unless you REALLY think your project is unique, popular, and revolutionary enough to survive on its own. My advice is to only make a new thread if you're trying to make an official character from an actual game that people would like to be in Smash Bros, you're willing to put in the time and effort to make it happen, and happen well, and you want a huge amount of feedback in order to perfect your character... perfectly.

Look in the necropost graveyard, and you'll see tons of half-baked characters created by people who thought too highly of their creations. Here, any reasonably well-done PSA has a chance for survival and appeal.

I mean, I didn't think that Shadow Beast Ganon was unique enough to get his own thread, and this is also where you'll find Killable Giga Bowser. That should tell you something.

On the other hand, there hasn't been a lot of updates on the OP for a while. Leaf... Where are you?

Eldiran

Smash Lord
What % would that be, on average?

I wish someone would do a CSP for him... I'll do it myself, if worse comes to worse.
If you hit Giga Bowser with a smash attack while he is at an edge, he'll usually die around 140+%, depending on the attack/level. He's pretty gimpable, so he can be killed before then too.

You should... I'm not much of a CSP maker.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
If you hit Giga Bowser with a smash attack while he is at an edge, he'll usually die around 140+%, depending on the attack/level. He's pretty gimpable, so he can be killed before then too.

You should... I'm not much of a CSP maker.
Kinda like his Melee incarnation. Awesome!

And his size makes him easy to combo. If he entered the tier list, he'd unfortunately score pretty low. :(

I just need a PNG->TGA converter and I'm all set. I can use Photoshop to a certain degree, but conversion is the issue. I'll try to do one, but spare time will be hard to come by...

EDIT: OK, if anyone wants a Giga Bowser portrait (preferrably for Eldiran's killable one), here it is:

TGA download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kyhrn4ymdjt/C:\fakepath\gigabowsercsp.tga

Tell me if colors/filesize aren't correct, or if this doesn't belong here.

SaxMeister13

Smash Rookie
@IndigoFenix: Thanks for the reply. It's always flattering to see a big name speaking to a nobody like me. :)

Here's my current project, copied from a post I made on Kittycorp:

D/l link: http://www.mediafire.com/?anrnndn0ddi

Texture (by Vyse): http://www.mediafire.com/?mjzezxkiqq3

Portrait: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?ghmyyl43txz
Portrait Text: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?czjjyomjtkn
CSP: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?ktjazkaj0i3
CSP Text: http://www.mediafire.com/i/?cned2ndgtnm
Battle Portrait:http://www.mediafire.com/i/?tndtllmitnm

I'm pleased to introduce my first PSA hack, Asch fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss. If you're unfamiliar with this game, here's a YouTube video that demonstrates the skills I've tried to recreate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goRGKZiCZcA

(Yes, it's almost 10 minutes, but only about the first minute or so relates to this project. :laugh:)

This is just v1, which mostly consists of merely special changes. I'm not finished with him - I'm already working on A moves - but I figured I would go ahead and post what I had to see what you all think. In most cases, the SFX still need work, but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the changes I've made.

Here's a basic changelog:

---

A-A combo:
two different swings, but still basically the same as Marth's

FTilt: Lightning Blade
Asch thrusts his sword forward, causing a small lightning strike.

UTilt, DTilt: Unchanged

---

FSmash: Devil's Inferno
Identical to Marth's FSmash (for now), but with an added fire effect.

USmash: Light Spear
Shock waves propel the enemy upwards into an upward sword thrust.

DSmash: Unchanged

---

Neutral-B: Demon Fist
Asch unleashes a quick shock wave along the ground. Range is just under half of FD. Fun for just annoying people, It doesn't even stun as much as Fox's gun because of its speed, though, so don't expect to keep anyone away with it.

Side-B (ground): Rending Thrust
Asch thrusts his sword forward and causes upward shockwaves to rip through the enemy and propel them upwards. Good damage, but the knockback isn't great.

Side-B (air): Swallow Fury
Asch flies forward, slashes, then turns and does an upward slash. If this connects, two more hits follow in an upward combo, the final one having good knockback. It takes some practice to get the distance right on this, but it's pretty good damage.

Up-B: Fang Blade
Asch swings his sword normally, then launches himself upward with sword raised. By continuing to hold B, Asch can combo into Havoc Strike (though it generally won't hit the same enemy you hit with Fang Blade).

Down-B (Ground): Guardian Field
Asch generates a field of light around him to keep foes at bay. Its primary use is a defensive skill, and it's got a pretty good amount of lag afterwards.

Down-B (Air): Havoc Strike
Asch descends rapidly with energy in his blade. Can be used as a spike, but it's difficult to recover from.
---

Grab/Throws: Unchanged

Taunts: Unchanged

FS: Unchanged (but I know exactly what I want to do with it...)
---

I love feedback. Seriously. But please, if you tell me that he sucks, tell me why he sucks so I can work on fixing him. ;D

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
2 downloads for the Giga Bowser portrait? Wow.

Due to this, I might be making more portraits, (mainly for the Alloys and Wario-Man) if requested. If anyone wants them, ask me and I'll have them ASAP.

I like your Asch, SaxMeister13!

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
because people just think it's a place for stupid, nearly unchanged, un thought-out characters. Although Beast Ganon and Doc and the others have proven otherwise. :D

IndigoFenix

Smash Journeyman
because people just think it's a place for stupid, nearly unchanged, un thought-out characters. Although Beast Ganon and Doc and the others have proven otherwise. :D
I don't think there are really as many of those anymore as there used to be. Once the initial PSA hype died down, most of the people working on new characters have been at least somewhat committed to making them decent, at least. That's probably the main issue - there just aren't as many people making characters anymore, and most of those that do usually are looking for specific feedback and focus so they make their own threads.

Eldiran

Smash Lord

And his size makes him easy to combo. If he entered the tier list, he'd unfortunately score pretty low. :(

I just need a PNG->TGA converter and I'm all set. I can use Photoshop to a certain degree, but conversion is the issue. I'll try to do one, but spare time will be hard to come by...

EDIT: OK, if anyone wants a Giga Bowser portrait (preferrably for Eldiran's killable one), here it is:

TGA download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kyhrn4ymdjt/C:\fakepath\gigabowsercsp.tga

Very nice! Puttin' this in the Giga post, if you don't mind.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Thanks! ;)

My offer still stands. If anyone wants Alloys ans Wario-Man portraits, let me know. I'll be more than happy to make them!
THIS. DEFINITELY want that man! Go for the gold and make em! XD

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
THIS. DEFINITELY want that man! Go for the gold and make em! XD
OK, that settles it! ASAP, I'm makin' 'em! ;) I'm surprised I'm the first one who thought of it.

Where do you store these on the SD card again? For the Giga and Company Engine fighters, I mean...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
OK, that settles it! ASAP, I'm makin' 'em! ;) I'm surprised I'm the first one who thought of it.

Where do you store these on the SD card again? For the Giga and Company Engine fighters, I mean...
Uh...To be honest, I haven't got a clue o_o I saw someone give ZSS a custom portrait but they said they did it using BrawlBox and that's it...I'm not sure exactly HOW they did it. -.o

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Uh...To be honest, I haven't got a clue o_o I saw someone give ZSS a custom portrait but they said they did it using BrawlBox and that's it...I'm not sure exactly HOW they did it. -.o
I wish that weren't true. I thought they were stored either in a menu pac or within the fighter pac itself...

Eldiran

Smash Lord
To my understanding, sc_selcharacter.pac is what you edit with BrawlBox to change CSPs. Unfortunately, replacing this file seems to cause problems with custom CSSes.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I have custom CSPs and use custom CSSes and have absolutely no problems at all o_o

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
What file do you replace?
It's more of replacing files inside a file XD;, but common5.pac for the CSPs, the separate "InfFace.brres" files in pf\info\portrite for the icons during a match, and the MenSelchrFace.brres that have each portrait for a character packed together in one file in pf\menu\common\char_bust_tex. Those are for the pictures in the results screen.

That's not the problem though. Last I checked, Giga and Company don't have their own separate files to give them icons, which is why they take Bowser's, Mario's, and so on. ZSS I'm not sure about at all though...Ah don't listen to me, what do I know? XD;

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
It's more of replacing files inside a file XD;, but common5.pac for the CSPs, the separate "InfFace.brres" files in pf\info\portrite for the icons during a match, and the MenSelchrFace.brres that have each portrait for a character packed together in one file in pf\menu\common\char_bust_tex. Those are for the pictures in the results screen.

That's not the problem though. Last I checked, Giga and Company don't have their own separate files to give them icons, which is why they take Bowser's, Mario's, and so on. ZSS I'm not sure about at all though...Ah don't listen to me, what do I know? XD;
ZSS's pic comes from SSE.

freezinboi280

Smash Cadet

How do Giga Bowser & Alloy CSP's work for CUPash? I asked someone before, but he told me that they dont work, unless you replace Bowser's portrait, which will effect both Bowser's and Giga Bowser's.

If this information is incorrect, then how should the portraits for Giga Bowser and the alloys be named?

Top Bottom