• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[QLD] LanSmash Thread | 2010 Season over | "Power of One" next year

What days are you attending? (Even if you're not playing)

• Total voters

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
rob, you going to enter brawl? we should team, double metaknight XD i don't know how to play though, so you'll have to carry me.

actually, anybody who knows something about brawl should team with me and go double metaknight. i'm a n00by melee player who knows nothing.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Metaknight isn't the only character in Brawl.

You guys would probably enjoy Diddy Kong. Glide Tossing is like Wavedashing, and you can use Bananas to create traps and combos.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Peach isn't high tier but she has bone walking, glide toss, hop drop, Turnip throw smash cancelling, dtilt smash sliding. Heaps of the characters have good things you can do with them, you just have to give them a try.

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
I think trying to convince melee players that brawl is technical is a lost cause lol
Kas reckons falco is the character most like a melee character (not necessarily melee falco). That's why he plays him, but Kas doesn't play like a typical brawl falco player. Instead of cg'ing to 40% them camping like a douche he tends to play more aggressively and just punishes mistakes. Marth and peach may also suit melee players, but like falco they're not like they are in melee. Otherwise yeah, just do a m2k and go MK lol

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
It's a lost cause because brawl doesn't have useful techniques, just fun tricks and gimmicks that don't really serve any great purpose (there are a few that serve some purpose I know), but like, peaches big long list of techniques obviously doesn't help her, she still sucks compared to the high tiers such as MK lol. But I wouldnt really know since I don't play brawl.

All I know is that Tier whoring MK is fun lol.

Remastered

Smash Lord
Some are pretty much just gimmicks, especially almost anything Luigi does. If you really want to hate on a creator of a game for making a character frustratingly gimmicky, play Luigi in Brawl. But in saying that, peach really only has 1 gimmick like ability and fairs incredibly well against most high tier characters. Also even the best in the world who plays MK struggles against particular players and characters. Mostly Diddy kong and Olimar, both of which are amazingly different characters and involve many different techniques.

It might be hard to change between game styles, and pointless for me to try and convince any melee player to play brawl, but I played melee and used to be quite good and yet still prefer brawl. Jaice also used to be very good at melee and prefers brawl aswell. Try a few characters out before dismissing Brawl completely and see how you go. It does come down to personal taste though.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
At the very least don't tell me Glide Tossing is gmimicky. Some are gimmicky and many are not (Like Diddy's Glide Tossing for example).

Peach's list of ATs do help her, but it's like a lot of the universal ATs in Melee. Doesn't matter how good you are at wavedashing, whilst it may help Mewtwo, he's still a fair way down the tier list for more reasons than that.

I'm not trying to preach that Brawl's ATs are particularly technical, especially in comparison to Melee because that would be dumbdumb(although inverse dribbling has tight timing with Diddy), but that Glide Tossing with Diddy for example provides access to an important spacing tool and helps him string banana combos together and as such Melee players may enjoy this aspect about Diddy (Or not, but that's the point).

EDIT:

Matt, before claiming to be good at Melee reconsider who you're talking to in this thread. lol.

Rianogard

Smash Apprentice
I was brilliant at Melee, but then Brawl came out, so since then I have played Brawl because I prefer it over Melee.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer

ANYWAY LETS GET BACK ONTO THE TOPIC OF SANTASMASH BECAUSE I DONT LIKE THE DIRECTION THIS IS HEADING.

Maybe I should add a poll for attendance?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
It's a lost cause because brawl doesn't have useful techniques, just fun tricks and gimmicks that don't really serve any great purpose (there are a few that serve some purpose I know), but like, peaches big long list of techniques obviously doesn't help her, she still sucks compared to the high tiers such as MK lol. But I wouldnt really know since I don't play brawl.

All I know is that Tier whoring MK is fun lol.
your absolutly right, not a single useful technique at all.
thats why I won this tourney on the weekend without using a controller, I just simply willed to win and I did because its such a ****ty shallow game.

peach is bad? your bad.

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
I agree with you Luke but Rob clearly said at the end that he doesn't really know since he doesn't play Brawl. You can ignore everything before that sentence :p

Sieg

Smash Champion
Hey man, Brawl is a serious game and all that etc etc.

He's just trying to defend it's worth.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Never said it wasn't worthless. I said I had fun playing it. And I never implied it takes no skill or anything like that, I just said it's not as focused around the techs as melée is, it's more focused around spacing and reading etc.

I said MOST of the techs are just flashy, not all of them though. I know what glide tossing is and how it's useful. When I'm talking useful melée techs I'm talking about minor **** like dash canceling and jump canceling etc. Not gamebreaking stuff, or techniques that are meant to "change the metagame", but they are useful hundreds of times in every match.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you said that there were no useful techniques, and then you said that there were a few useful techniques.
lol

also I'm not upset, I enjoy being a prat, espcially since I am getting paid to do it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Nevermind, let it go guys.

So, I'm thinking we'll just run with the Robocop Ruleset for this and PoO. After watching M2K beat Brood on RC, I just don't feel like it should be legal in Brawl.

What do people think?

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
lol this discussion again..

might not be able to make one of the days
anniversary on the 17th maybe activities will go onto 18th.

zzz lazy robocop rules. needs more bowserside and ganoncide victories.
port town >:|

Remastered

Smash Lord
You can jump cancel in brawl. Leads to moves out of shield etc too. You can also dash cancel into Usmash for some chars in brawl too.

The big difference between brawl and melee is that most of melee's techs are across the cast, whereas brawl is character based. Obviously this isn't the case in every circumstance.

Edit: Sorry will stop now, RC shouldn't ever be included and I'm not sure why it was in the first place.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with CS. By comparison, look at Delfino.
Luigi's mansion is something of a soft-circle camp.

There's more to be said, but I'm not far off heading out, so I'll come back to it later.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
luigis is never.. circle camping.
castle is banned as a starter.
its not that hard to run away from d3 for one stage transistion :s
defino is a better cp for d3 anyway imo.

Remastered

Smash Lord
I'll show you some broken stuff with D3 on castle when you come round Arrow. Delfino is his best CP for most of the cast, which once it gets striked, castle becomes a D3 players choice. Also Snake becomes pretty BS on Luigi's.

Edit: Also castle can be really good for kirby & MK too. Transition spiking.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Floaty characters tend to be good on any stage, you can try CP me Ad3pt =D

Top Bottom