• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Guided by Voices - Tractor **** Chain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ6yS71j-cw
wow.
When I clicked on this, of the one recommended videos was "L$D- DON"T SMOKE MY BLUNT *****" I died of laughter, my ghost is reviewing this.

I love this song. It has a serene feel for it, the stuff I would play when I'm really angry to calm myself down. The vocals are better than the last GBV song you posted, so that's a plus. Overall, this song left me in a pretty good mood, which is always a good thing. 4.5/5

Thought it's a shame its name isn't Tractor **** Train like I thought it was.

Mr. Bungle- Carousel

theeboredone

Smash Legend
When I clicked on this, of the one recommended videos was "L$D- DON"T SMOKE MY BLUNT *****" I died of laughter, my ghost is reviewing this.

I love this song. It has a serene feel for it, the stuff I would play when I'm really angry to calm myself down. The vocals are better than the last GBV song you posted, so that's a plus. Overall, this song left me in a pretty good mood, which is always a good thing. 4.5/5

Thought it's a shame its name isn't Tractor **** Train like I thought it was.

Mr. Bungle- Carousel
This song just gives me a creepy vibe when it starts. Looking at the album cover, it only reconfirmed that feeling. As for the song itself, I like it and I really got no problems with it. Gotta always appreciate the saxophone and trumpets. The song itself sort of matches the album cover with some "clownish" elements.

The wtf turn into some harder rock after the second verse is welcomed. I thought the song would get repetitive without it. Too bad it doesn't last that long.

Overall, I've heard these sort of songs by different artists, and they tend to be catchy. This one I think is a step lower than those. It also feels like this song, somehow manages to be repetitive, yet have too many things going on in it. I just feel like the song needs to be redone and more organized.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Short and sweet...

X-Men First Class - Magneto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-MkWIyxCI

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141

TheBluAssassin

Smash Apprentice
The whole song sounded the same to me. The melodies were not catchy at all, they were just annoying and repetitive. I did like the intro, but then I realized the whole song would be like that so I wasn't excited to hear the rest of the song after that. The drum beat was good though.
1/5

Rachael Yamagata - Worn me down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfA_THeTuDs
Eh, I hated it. It was boring. 0/5

And now, a Japanoise masterpiece:
Hanatarash- **** Victory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRXu6o4BC48

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Y

Yodery

Sorry, didn't realize you were the only one allowed to have offtopic smalltalk in this thread

Anyways....

Mike Patton is a genius, haha, everyone knows that. The vocal praise I give for this song is pretty much obligatory; Patton does a great job in this song! The lyrics are interesting. The instrumentation, although kinda unoriginal, it can still make me bob my head, because it's just so damn funky lol. So I guess it gets the job done. Everything just grabs my attention :D Definitely one of my favorite songs off of the album.

4.5/5

My Bloody Valentine - Cigarette in Your Bed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P82V5TEEVWc
(You may need to turn the volume up a little bit, the music is quiet in this video, for some reason)

cannedbread

Smash Lord
3.9/5

smooth, melodic, textural

basic mbv quality material

i like the scatting thing bilinda does at 2:00, it adds a bit of a climax to the song along with the muffled guitar fuzz, that part onwards was really enjoyable

i hope mbv really does have this new album out soon man ;—;

wha ha ha - on the floor

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
3.9/5

smooth, melodic, textural

basic mbv quality material

i like the scatting thing bilinda does at 2:00, it adds a bit of a climax to the song along with the muffled guitar fuzz, that part onwards was really enjoyable

i hope mbv really does have this new album out soon man ;—;

wha ha ha - on the floor
Haha this is silly. Reminds me of a Frank Zappa song. or an old cartoon. Kinda sounds like I'm sitting in a room with seven TVs on at once all playing different channels while someone sings opera in the next room over with a synthesizer.

lol @ the vocals at 2:35. This song is absolutely ridiculous.

Trumpet solo at 4:20 is cool. I like the weird footsteps sound that comes in over it.

synthline at 5:40 is soaring. awesome. too bad it's only there for like 5 seconds.

this main vocal hook is annoying now. was cool the first two times but this is too much.

overall, an extremely stupid song in a good way. I admire the ambition and uniqueness but I'm not interested in listening to anything else by this artist.

3.5/5

Listener "Seatbelt Hands" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_IrqrKotBk

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
The lyrics were sad but I liked them. I loved the part at 2:47, this makes the song more exciting. The instrumental was relaxing before 2:47 and went well with the speech, and never became boring. I liked the instrumental better than the vocals.
4/5

I bought a new album today and this is one of the songs on it.
Machine Gun
ok ok, charming intro. bouncy.
ooo background vocals. I like 'em
She has a very charming voice
The chorus is a slight departure. Not... terrible, it's like a speed bump, except one of the kinds that are still super low and you don't really need to slow down for.
You know what, no, I do like her projection during the chorus. Gunplay imagery is kind of cool for a "love" song. It would be nice if she used it, like... more throughout, so the chorus isn't such a departure lyrically.
That slide guitar (I think it's a slide guitar) is a very pleasant touch.
I like this song! Glad to see you're expanding your horizons a little bit.
:urg::ohwell:[:)]:bee::awesome:

Roomful of Teeth - Quizassa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6vss-WnNM

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
the beginning of this reminds me of Karl Jenkins work with the girl vocal group Adiemus. Very similar vocal stylings and harmonies. I enjoy the female vocals in this song a lot. The bass voices are awesome as well.

The changeup with the glottal/throat singing vocals reminds me of Bjork's Medulla album. Very weird and "nasty" but I like it because it sounds so primal and real to me. The rhythms here are also very complex. I like it a lot.

4.6/5

ORBS "Megaloblastic MAdness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzt-Sg8NQOM

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
the beginning of this reminds me of Karl Jenkins work with the girl vocal group Adiemus. Very similar vocal stylings and harmonies. I enjoy the female vocals in this song a lot. The bass voices are awesome as well.

The changeup with the glottal/throat singing vocals reminds me of Bjork's Medulla album. Very weird and "nasty" but I like it because it sounds so primal and real to me. The rhythms here are also very complex. I like it a lot.

4.6/5

ORBS "Megaloblastic MAdness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzt-Sg8NQOM
I love the instrumental it never got boring, but not the vocals. But it's a good song anyways. The guitar is my favorite thing in the song, and the drum beat goes very well with it. Some parts sounded like another song I know, Uprising by Muse.
7/10

Uncharted - Sara Bareilles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QT2-88DCZ8
This is my new favorite song.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Uncharted - Sara Bareilles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QT2-88DCZ8
This is my new favorite song.
Another rather bouncy intro from this lady... being so similar to the last song of hers, I feel inclined to consider that a downside. I understand the aim for a quaint style that little contented staccato jabs like that are going for, but to hit me with an almost carbon copy of the same approach makes me tired of hearing it.
It's like having too much candy.

The instrumentals for this song are... I guess "uninspired" is a good word for it. There's just... not a lot there. Not like number-of-instruments-wise, but however many instruments are used here does not remedy each one's lack of engaging playing.

The lyrics are all about how she feels after some kind of distressful thing has happened. But not only does she not get very original with the way she expresses it (although I like the line about taking flame over burning out), she doesn't even give us the kind of context that we'd need to relate. Not all songs have to do that, but without it here, all she says is "this is how I feel, this is how I feel, this is how I feel" and my aimless empathy only extends so far.

This song is super, super basic. Maybe I'm just jaded.

but I doubt it

:urg:[:ohwell:]:):bee::awesome:

Daniel Rossen - Up On High
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ExU3WAi0Y

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I thought the song was boring the first time I listened to it, but after listening to it a few more times I liked it better each time. I loved the guitar and the other stringed instrument, I wish I heard more of that. The instrumental parts sounded very good. It sounded like a song I would hear in a Zelda game, but with out the vocals. The ending was relaxing and is a good way to end a song imo.
9/10
Kesha - Past Lives
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2PCLrcnQc

Y

Yodery

stop posting kelly clarkson ffs i can't keep lying in my reviews :l

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I want so very much to contend that the same artist over and over again is eliminating the difference between this thread and 'What are you currently listening to?'. Disregard for the reactions of the people in that thread is ok because the purpose is totally self-serving. But I have learned about and downloaded so much new and interesting music thanks to the people that contribute to this thread. This thread exists because it's different than 'What are you...', it's different because it demands interaction and it isn't self-serving because that interaction has the potential to expand our knowledge of and taste in music in a positive way, so posting Kelly over and over again inhibits that process and seems tantamount to trolling.

BlueXenon, I know you aren't technically braking the rules of the thread, but please stop posting an artist so many times in a row. You're making this thread not worth posting in anymore. We want all the music that you have to review to inspire you to explore new stuff and come back with what you've discovered so that you can share with us.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I only like very few singers (maybe 4 or 5), sometimes I find songs that I like in this thread but I usually just listen to it 3 to 6 times and never listen to it again. I wil try listening to new songs and see if I like other singers.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
100% agreed with Derp here. I like this thread conceptually because it lets me share music i love but importantly also to explore out of my comfort zone of music and indulge different tastes. to be constantly given superficial reviews to songs i love to and then being given yet another song from generic pop songstress 72 is just disencouraging. that may come off as dramatic but this is one of the handful of actually decent threads on this site to find and talk about music and i think that if we all try and write more substantial reviews and at least try to branch out a little with spamming one artist constantly then that would just be really swell!

i have obsessions with specific artists and bands too but i know that no matter how awesome he/she/they may be it always is annoying to other people to constantly talk about them. so i hold back a little. otherwise all my posts would be HORSE the band and rilo kiley

sorry to continue to derail the game but im on my stinkin phone

:phone:

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Ke$ha! \o/

Oh.

I go out of my way to buy her new album without my parents knowing, and this is like the most boring song on the album. Seriously.

I can't stand the male backup singer, the song puts me to sleep, the lyrics are okish, but the music didn't do anything to keep it interesting. (I usually LOVE her ballads, but Warrior is definitely party driven)

I like Ke$ha because of her electro-dance music, but this song is like the complete opposite of that, and a huge turn off. Literally. *turns off music* :c

2/10

Next on my Christmas song list is O Come, O Come, Emanuel by Barlow Girl.

Y

Yodery

Ke$ha! \o/

Oh.

I go out of my way to buy her new album without my parents knowing, and this is like the most boring song on the album. Seriously.

I can't stand the male backup singer, the song puts me to sleep, the lyrics are okish, but the music didn't do anything to keep it interesting. (I usually LOVE her ballads, but Warrior is definitely party driven)

I like Ke$ha because of her electro-dance music, but this song is like the complete opposite of that, and a huge turn off. Literally. *turns off music* :c

2/10

Next on my Christmas song list is O Come, O Come, Emanuel by Barlow Girl.
This is a very weird song... I can barely hear the instrumentation; it's as if the vocals completely drown it out or something. Well, since I consider myself an atheist (no offense to your religious beliefs though :D) I don't exactly like or 'agree' with the lyrics, but they seem to be well written... if you're into that kind of thing. The hooks in the vox are cool, as well as the instrumentation. The vocals sound DROWNED in auto-tune, and while I don't care if you use auto-tune, as long as you "do it right", (James Blake, Sufjan Stevens) it just doesn't fit here, and tbh, it irritates me. :l

2/5

Animal Collective - Bluish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQBKJbyC6c0
hurr hurr entry level hipster garbage durrrrr p4kcore

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Animal Collective - Bluish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQBKJbyC6c0
hurr hurr entry level hipster garbage durrrrr p4kcore
oh yeah I recognize that album art

I'm pleased with the pulsing of :30-on.
The vocals command the song but they don't overpower it. They drive it, but they don't force it. They're aware of the mood the instrumentals want to bring out and they play with it. They remind me that a voice box is like a lead guitar, with potential for the spotlight but the wisdom to not take the focus off the rest of the song.
The effects and the general rhythm together give me a brand of happiness I haven't been reacquainted with in a long time.
Do you ever, like... smell something or see the arrangement and brightness/darkness of some image your mind frames that reminds you of being a kid? Some really complex emotion from really particular stimuli and it just makes you want it to last. It never does though. And its fleeting nature makes it that much more impacting when you feel it. That's what this song feels like. It's childhood adventure and innocence. Maybe it's even adult romance and euphoria. Maybe that's weird. Maybe I'm weird. But maybe you're weird.
This song is like a dream that I wake up from smiling.

What can you do to judge a song on form or some **** when it makes you just feel like closing your eyes and being young again?

:urg::ohwell::):bee:[:awesome:]

Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBWY6W1dSvE

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBWY6W1dSvE
I was going to write a long review for this but google chrome stopped working in the middle so I have to write it again.

I said before that I love the piano. It's very soft and relaxing. And I love the way the stringed instrument came in again after the intro, it sounded amazing the whole time. The song is very long and I think for the second half (after the instrumental break in the middle of the song) would have been better with a drum beat added. There is nothing I didn't like about the song. I will save it in my youtube favorites.
5/5

Rachael Yamagata - Worn me down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm_YR-ac_ok
I have posted this song before but I don't think the person who rated it actually listened to the song.
If I can't post a song twice:
Syphonmax - The Place of Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBuXF2NSiCE

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
o:

Oooh, very nice space trance sound in the beginning, it's like an escape from reality.

I like the new sound that comes in around 1:30 and takes it to a more fun level with a catchy beat. 3:14 onward is just beautiful.
Where did you find this?I It's amazing!

Only thing that could've been better is a drum beat with more depth and volume, if you know what I mean. Felt like the drums were heavily drowned out by the other instruments.

It wish I could write more, but words can't really describe it, you'd just have to listen to it yourself. :p

4.7/5

More Christmas songs! :3
BarlowGirl - Hallelujah (Light Has Come) (It's religious, just a heads up. Though most Christmas songs are.)
One of my favorites :D

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
More Christmas songs! :3
BarlowGirl - Hallelujah (Light Has Come) (It's religious, just a heads up. Though most Christmas songs are.)
One of my favorites :D
I loved the song (except for the lyrics) until the second verse. The second verse sounded like a repeat of what I already heard. I usually dont mind the second verse sounding like the first one, but in this song it annoyed me because the vocals made up the song imo. I liked the singer's voice.
I think a drum beat starting in the second verse could have helped the song a lot.
2.5/5
Pink - Just give me a reason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwx4iTRLXG8

Y

Yodery

I loved the song (except for the lyrics) until the second verse. The second verse sounded like a repeat of what I already heard. I usually dont mind the second verse sounding like the first one, but in this song it annoyed me because the vocals made up the song imo. I liked the singer's voice.
I think a drum beat starting in the second verse could have helped the song a lot.
2.5/5
Pink - Just give me a reason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwx4iTRLXG8
lol
0.5/5

GZA/Genius - Shadowboxin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkKCqcpAcVQ

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
since i am not going to resopnd to the guy posting pop music in a thread which imo is about finding bands/artists you never heard of or never listened to i instead am going to rate this one.

I might not be the best to rate this track b/c i have heard it before and like it but I would give it a solid 8/10, while wu-tang is not my fav rap there is always a spot and time for it

i am going to posts a song from album i have recently gotten and have just started to get into
mos def-Do it Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG9zcxd_AgE

Y

Yodery

since i am not going to resopnd to the guy posting pop music in a thread which imo is about finding bands/artists you never heard of or never listened to i instead am going to rate this one.

I might not be the best to rate this track b/c i have heard it before and like it but I would give it a solid 8/10, while wu-tang is not my fav rap there is always a spot and time for it

i am going to posts a song from album i have recently gotten and have just started to get into
mos def-Do it Now
Pretty good, but a bit too ambitious... Is that possible? Whatever. Dope beat, pretty good lyrics. I can fuxx with it ;)
3.5/5

Cool Calm Pete - Two A.M.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rebXQHVZ54
#swag

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
All of you shut up

Pretty good, but a bit too ambitious... Is that possible? Whatever. Dope beat, pretty good lyrics. I can fuxx with it ;)
3.5/5

Cool Calm Pete - Two A.M.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rebXQHVZ54
#swag
Beat is pretty sick. Builds tension throghout the song. Dislike his rapping though, sounds too... "lazy," if you get what i'm saying. When it went to the chorus, I just sort of went "eh;" it definetley didn't stand out that much and was pretty unremarkable. Lyrics were pretty good, but I still feel like it was a pretty mediocre song.

1.5/5

Dälek- Paragraphs Relentless

Y

Yodery

All of you shut up

Beat is pretty sick. Builds tension throghout the song. Dislike his rapping though, sounds too... "lazy," if you get what i'm saying. When it went to the chorus, I just sort of went "eh;" it definetley didn't stand out that much and was pretty unremarkable. Lyrics were pretty good, but I still feel like it was a pretty mediocre song.

1.5/5

Dälek- Paragraphs Relentless
ye his rapping style is supposed to be lazy : /

Anyways, wow, this is awesome. Reminds me of the ocean, for some reason. Beat is pretty damn sick, as is the general instrumentation. The rapping style reminds me of DOOM's, which is always cool. The lyrics are eh, but overall, I dig it.

4/5

Slint - Washer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yEgcb167k4

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I meant to come in here earlier, but I got distracted.

Sorry mate, but this isn't the thread for that. Try the question thread in the pool room, or maybe make a quick one in here. Just make it more... legible.

Gtfo

10char
I tried listening to the song but I had to stop it.
-4/5
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/514911
RIP this thread

:phone:

mos def-Do it Now
mane you're breaking the rules of this thread; review and rate the song i posted. don't wanna get the Media Metropolis pigs on yo ***. word.
Says the person who put "lol 0.5/5"
All of you. Shut up.

This is the rate the song posted above you thread, not the "I get to say whatever I want above anything and be a jerk thread." Rate the song posted above you, no matter what it is. If someone posts a pop song, be serious and review it. You don't get to say "lol, screw this genre" and not review it; give it a negative review if you really dislike it, but still review it. That's the rule of the thread.

Sorry, but that's the way things go.

Top Bottom