• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I didn't like the song in the beginning because it's extremely different from the music I listen to. After I got used to it, I started to like it more. I loved the vocal melodies, they were very relaxing, and the guitar fits with it very well. I don't mind this time that there is no drum beat in the song, I think it would be worse if it had one. I enjoyed the instrumental ending a lot.

4.5/5

Brand New Me - Alicia Keys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjY1GQmbbD0
Always wondered whatever happen to Alicia Keys. Nice to see she still has a musical career...

I think some of her lines don't necessarily have a good transition/flow to them, but the lyrics for the most part are solid. I enjoy the piano melody in the background, but with my headphones on, I don't think the the bass beat goes well with the piano. When the drums and violin kick in towards the end, I just feel it's too radically different from the rest of the song. Don't get me wrong, I like the raw emotion and some songs can pull it off successfully. I just don't think Keys succeeds here.

She's talented, and I have listened to her music in the past. I just don't think this is one of her bests.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Yellowcard - Dear Bobbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTm0D121E4

Y

Yodery

Always wondered whatever happen to Alicia Keys. Nice to see she still has a musical career...

I think some of her lines don't necessarily have a good transition/flow to them, but the lyrics for the most part are solid. I enjoy the piano melody in the background, but with my headphones on, I don't think the the bass beat goes well with the piano. When the drums and violin kick in towards the end, I just feel it's too radically different from the rest of the song. Don't get me wrong, I like the raw emotion and some songs can pull it off successfully. I just don't think Keys succeeds here.

She's talented, and I have listened to her music in the past. I just don't think this is one of her bests.

No way!
I'll pass...
It's alright...
I can stream it...
Give me the album! Now!

Yellowcard - Dear Bobbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTm0D121E4
Yellowcard was one of my favorite bands back in the day, because to me, they weren't like most pop punk bands... These guys really knew how to write good songs tbh, and I really like this one. The lyrics are ****ing beautiful, but wow, I just realized just how annoying the vocals can get. They're easy to get over though. The instruments are also very fitting. Ya know, this song almost reminds me of "Skyway", by The Replacements, or any given Neutral Milk Hotel song, lol.

Like I said, the lyrics are my favorite part of this song. Very touching. :)

4.5/5

Have a Nice Life - Earthmover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEsbcLOeVCw

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
These little strums are nice, and my anticipation for what was to come at :40 was empowered by the far-away and echoed vocals. The intro is portent but soothing--like a fear of God in my ears.

The choice they make in the vocal melody at 1:12 and 2:48 is really smart. They knew it would fit well. It's a transition in the song that makes me smile and inhale deep.

So it's 3:43 and this is the part that makes me nervous for the song's sake. What will they hit me with when the volume rises again (if it does)? Will it be new, will it be worse?

Well, at 5:22... it will be like MONO. http://youtu.be/zAleQ79UlT8?t=7m25s
I wouldn't want to normally simply refer to one song to help me review another, but there was something about me not being hit with anything that surprised me that made this transition in the song unsatisfying.

Even without that comparison, I can definitely say, letting the song and the band stand entirely for themselves, the last 5 minutes of this song are really boring. I'm not captured by the buzz's juxtaposition to the notes that soar over it. Well I mean, maybe at first, but ****, for 5 minutes? Jesus...

The first half of this song is a :awesome:, the latter a :ohwell:. Put brackets wherever seems appropriate: :urg::ohwell::):bee::awesome:

Roomful of Teeth - 4 Pieces: IV. Passacaglia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlE41gvNcw

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Roomful of Teeth - 4 Pieces: IV. Passacaglia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlE41gvNcw
This was a very funny and creative song. It was also very annoying to listen to and I did not like it at all. I listened to the whole song only because it was very interesting. I've never heard anything like it before. The song could have been a lot better if it had catchy vocal melodies instead of what seemed like random notes. I wont give it a 0 because the song was very creative.
3/10

The Fray - Never Say Never
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aihu16RyYp8

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
The Fray????

I remember now... It's all coming back.

I give it 4.5/5

1 for it's lyrical style.. It is a very emotional love song
1 for it's strong vocals from the singer... The guy can sing. And he does it well.
1.5 for that overall sound... It has a sound of despair but also somehow mixes it with hope. It shows versatility.
And
1 for just the high note he hits on the end...

This song gives me chills....

Guys... Let's do a throwback... ALL THE WAY TO THE 60's!!!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
The Fray????

I remember now... It's all coming back.

I give it 4.5/5

1 for it's lyrical style.. It is a very emotional love song
1 for it's strong vocals from the singer... The guy can sing. And he does it well.
1.5 for that overall sound... It has a sound of despair but also somehow mixes it with hope. It shows versatility.
And
1 for just the high note he hits on the end...

This song gives me chills....

Guys... Let's do a throwback... ALL THE WAY TO THE 60's!!!
I love this song. I remember seeing the original Smash Bros 64 commercial with this song back in the day. I became obsessed with it. It's just a sickeningly sweet song and it's just perfect. Even when I'm in the darkest of moods this song can have me singing or at least toe tapping. It's pretty corny and I barely ever feel like this about anyone, but it's nice to be able to escape and fantasize through music

4.6/5

So Many Dynamos - the Formula

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xs0r9bpBQA

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
WOW!!
That was lengthy... And it's beat while energetic. Can kinda get repitive. However the lyrics are just too poetical and clever.... With imagination like a 4 year old with a lyricism, humour (I think it's humour) that reminds me of Regina Spektor...

9.25/10

This song would've been an no doubt 10/10 but it's abit too repitive in the start and bit in the middle but it makes it up with one of the strongest finishes I probably heard. The song's forte is definitely the ending... The song goes up to full speed, starting at 3:15. It builds the momentum with the drums while the electronic beats get quieter putting focus on the singer and his quirky lyrics. Then after that everything falls into place then explodes in to something I'd probably explain as the estatic pure 2 mins of your life...

Another lenghty song... If you can get through the fact that it's nearly 8 mins..
Pavlov's Daughter----http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7mPppJYUwI

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
ARE YOU ME!? i want to marry you right now for posting Regina Spektor and having a Jenny Lewis avatar.

I'm gonna try and let someone else listen to that one, as it's one of my favorite Regina songs and someone else should be able to experience it. just had to spread the love to you my friend

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
That's Florence Welch...

Who is Jenny Lewis??? I'll go check when my Youtube works again...

BTW... Aww...

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
Rilo Kiley... Where have I heard this person before... I swear someone posted a song woth a band that had a familiar name....

Heres the full big image of my Avatar...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
it was probably me that posted Rilo Kiley before XD

after seeing that bigger image, her face is quite different from Jenny, but her body shape and the way she holds herself is very similar. i think we're getting a little off topic though so i'll shut up

oirasorledyelsie

Smash Apprentice
Well I gues Good NIght Luigi!!!

It's 12 am here... Gonna do dishes, have a glass of water or two then off to bed I go....

I really wanna see someone's reaction to Pavlov's Daughter...

Y

Yodery

Another lenghty song... If you can get through the fact that it's nearly 8 mins..
Pavlov's Daughter----http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7mPppJYUwI
Goddamn, I love this girl's voice. LOVE it! I'm a sucker for anti-folk and all, but damn, I've never really heard anything quite like this. The lyrics are cool as is the instrumentation. Could be a little shorter, the song, but overall, this is awesome.

5/5

The Replacements - Bs of Young
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvggqOHKPco

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Goddamn, I love this girl's voice. LOVE it! I'm a sucker for anti-folk and all, but damn, I've never really heard anything quite like this. The lyrics are cool as is the instrumentation. Could be a little shorter, the song, but overall, this is awesome.

5/5

The Replacements - Bs of Young
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvggqOHKPco
I remember playing this song live as part of this "Indie Rock" show program thingy. The funny thing is, though there were some good song choices (Fugazi, MBV, This), it was probably the worst show that i've done (I didn't know it was possible to **** up a three chord song, but apparently some people found a way). On the bright side, it was my "breakout show" in a sense, so that was pretty cool.

Anyways, back to this song. Though I didn't like it at first, it definitely grew on me. I love the anthemic attitude the song has. The first lyrics ("God, what a mess / on the ladder of success") are phenomonal. I also love how restrained the verses are, it's a great setup for the chorus. The guitar solo is amazing. Overall, really good song.

4/5

Agalloch- Odal

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
The intro to this is very pretty, I'm just hoping it doesn't go downhill now...

Ok it appears it's not going to lead into any sort of screeching, so I'll relax and enjoy. It's beautiful. After reading a few comments in the video, apparently this is metal. ._. I actually like it, lol. I love how it's not all up in your face and there's no screeching involved to ruin it.

The guitars blend so well with each other, and I really just love this altogether! Does this band make more stuff like this? It's so relaxing and peaceful, also a bit dramatic.

I am disappointed it's only 240p :C

:O lovely touch of piano at around the 6 minute mark, it really put the song on a whole new level. The sound affects of the wind blowing is just a masterpiece, it really adds to the drama and emotion of the song.

100/5, just phenomenal. Very surprised this is considered "metal". Will totally be checking out their other stuff.

Barlow Girl - Never Alone

I've been really into them lately, it's a shame they've retired :c

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
I kinda got my hopes with the piano intro being all pretty and stuff but the rock bits were just kinda there though in an inoffensive sort of way. It all flows together and stuff, so I guess from a writing stance it's alright. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it personally, but I understand why someone would like this.
5/10, it's alright.

Winds - Reason's Desire

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I think an intro like this can lead into so many other things that are less predictable than what was played here.
Hell, I heard a little DSO in there up to :24.
It could have been a lot more weird and fun, which may be something I shouldn't demand, but the lyrics and accompaniment were all very typical.

What would you call those vocals? Like... folky/power? His voice kind of rubs me the wrong way :/ It's not uniquely irritating, it's just a typical voice that doesn't do it for me in metal. There are very few clean vocals in metal that I like, but that's just me.

The solos in this song are pretty cool. The first one is kind of long being so early in the song, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

4:09 and on is pretty badass, I wish the rest of the song were like that.

All in all it had things about it that would have made the song more enjoyable if they were more of the focus. The slower part right in the middle made listening through the whole things feel a little clumsy.

:urg:[:ohwell:]:):bee::awesome:

Atoms for Peace - Judge Jury and Executioner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4tW3mhp9io

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I think an intro like this can lead into so many other things that are less predictable than what was played here.
Hell, I heard a little DSO in there up to :24.
It could have been a lot more weird and fun, which may be something I shouldn't demand, but the lyrics and accompaniment were all very typical.

What would you call those vocals? Like... folky/power? His voice kind of rubs me the wrong way :/ It's not uniquely irritating, it's just a typical voice that doesn't do it for me in metal. There are very few clean vocals in metal that I like, but that's just me.

The solos in this song are pretty cool. The first one is kind of long being so early in the song, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

4:09 and on is pretty badass, I wish the rest of the song were like that.

All in all it had things about it that would have made the song more enjoyable if they were more of the focus. The slower part right in the middle made listening through the whole things feel a little clumsy.

:urg:[:ohwell:]:):bee::awesome:

Atoms for Peace - Judge Jury and Executioner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4tW3mhp9io
Not a big fan of the bass tone, but the groove itself is pretty catchy, and the choral melody in the background is different. The guy's voice is good, but I think the choice of notes for this song just don't fit, it makes his voice and the chorus line clash. Lyrically, pretty well written imo. I'm curious about some of their other works, but this song just didn't do it for me.

5/10

My song: Being As An Ocean - Nothing, Save The Power Their Given (Live Acoustic)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
what the **** is wrong with you people? i hate you all except the melon

Not a big fan of the bass tone, but the groove itself is pretty catchy, and the choral melody in the background is different. The guy's voice is good, but I think the choice of notes for this song just don't fit, it makes his voice and the chorus line clash. Lyrically, pretty well written imo. I'm curious about some of their other works, but this song just didn't do it for me.

5/10

My song: Being As An Ocean - Nothing, Save The Power Their Given (Live Acoustic)
I like talk music like this, but I think this guy's voice and delivery is kinda iffy. it's this sort of quasi-scream, like he's afraid to actually yell and be loud so it ends up sounding kinda lame. i like the lyrics though "i'd tell you but i'm so scared of what you think"

2.9/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwSvmdZ1t_A Bjork "Mouth's Cradle"

Palpi

Smash Hero
what the **** is wrong with you people? i hate you all except the melon

I like talk music like this, but I think this guy's voice and delivery is kinda iffy. it's this sort of quasi-scream, like he's afraid to actually yell and be loud so it ends up sounding kinda lame. i like the lyrics though "i'd tell you but i'm so scared of what you think"

2.9/5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwSvmdZ1t_A Bjork "Mouth's Cradle"
I didn't really like it at first, but it definitely grew on me. She is a good singer, but not my style, which is odd cause normally i have a hard on for female european accents. I thought the song tried to crescendo to something but it was never achieved, though after researching a little, the whole album is just human voices so that is commendable.

3/5

Alcest - Ecailles De Lune (Part II)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhRNN8BIZxE

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Oooh, lovely beginning, I love the way the- *heavy guitars come in*

I should've guessed @_@ Well, at least it's still enjoya- *screaming comes in* are you serious? -.-

Ok, screaming seems out of the way for now, but I really enjoy the music here @3:00. At 4:50, the lovely beginning returns :D With REAL singing :D

Even with the screaming/screeching, this song is obviously very well done and a masterpiece. I wish I could appreciate it more for what it is, but some things just aren't my taste. Although, I do like most of the song so far (at 7:00 atm) This is my favorite part... So pretty, the instruments blend so well together. I could put this on repeat for a while.

Well, the song ended beautifully. I actually really liked it, the music was amazing, and the screaming wasn't too obnoxious. Thanks for posting.

4.3/5

The Last Story OST- Nobuo Uematsu

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
well... if we wanna get anal about it

"1. to utter words or sounds in succession with musical modulations of the voice; vocalize melodically."
-dictionary.com

doesn't exclude the admittedly outlying intensity of screaming

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Oooh, lovely beginning, I love the way the- *heavy guitars come in*

I should've guessed @_@ Well, at least it's still enjoya- *screaming comes in* are you serious? -.-

Ok, screaming seems out of the way for now, but I really enjoy the music here @3:00. At 4:50, the lovely beginning returns :D With REAL singing :D

Even with the screaming/screeching, this song is obviously very well done and a masterpiece. I wish I could appreciate it more for what it is, but some things just aren't my taste. Although, I do like most of the song so far (at 7:00 atm) This is my favorite part... So pretty, the instruments blend so well together. I could put this on repeat for a while.

Well, the song ended beautifully. I actually really liked it, the music was amazing, and the screaming wasn't too obnoxious. Thanks for posting.

4.3/5

The Last Story OST- Nobuo Uematsu
Gonna stop all the anti-screaming/mainstream pop for all hate with an on-topic post, thank you.

I've always loved this guy's work, but I feel this piece just doesn't show it. His transitions just don't work imo, even though the instruments are all well done. It seems to jump back and forth a bit too much for this to work very well in a tech-orchestral piece such as this. I give him credit, each individual section was done well, but as a whole it just doesn't work for me.

6/10

My song: The HAARP Machine - Esoteric Agenda

cannedbread

Smash Lord

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
first couple of seconds i thought it was indian classical

i really like the drums before the first verse

i like really fast part in the middle

to me the lyrics are ruining an otherwise decent song

i don't like the growl verse clean chorus thing

man i really don't like super obvious political messages in music

5/10

slugabed - new world
Liked the intro, which was cool and mysterious. The almost audible vocals were cool to.

The buildup to the regular drum beat was pretty good. Drumbeat's okay. Nothing spectacular. Chopped up vocals were good though.

Dislike how it builds up, only to repeat itself. Would have been cooler if something else happened.

The way the song sort of melts away is okay, I guess. Felt like it could have been executed better.

3.5/5

Diablo Swing Orchestra- A Tap Dancer's Dilemma

Y

Yodery

Liked the intro, which was cool and mysterious. The almost audible vocals were cool to.

The buildup to the regular drum beat was pretty good. Drumbeat's okay. Nothing spectacular. Chopped up vocals were good though.

Dislike how it builds up, only to repeat itself. Would have been cooler if something else happened.

The way the song sort of melts away is okay, I guess. Felt like it could have been executed better.

3.5/5

Diablo Swing Orchestra- A Tap Dancer's Dilemma
This song is so cool, never fails to get me moving. I just love how all the instruments work together. Also, dem drums.
Not sure what else to say; damn good song.

5/5

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - The Dead Flag Blues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyf2gNT3t4k
it's a long song; listen to this with an open mind and some good headphones

Top Bottom