• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Apex/Impulse Circuit: Phoenix Saga 4 - Ann Arbor, MI *UPDATED*

M@v

Subarashii!
Silly seagull, everyone has a :metaknight:

Also damn you quoted me right before i edited it :|

P.S. Shoutout to the legend SamuraiPanda going to a tourney and commentating, and talking about the old days when wolf was invented in MI.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Good tourney, glad I got to help run things! I made a lot of observations at this that I'd like to share with the MI Brawl community. Not really criticism, just suggestions based what I saw.

1. Make and revise pools in Google Docs, not in tio. Write out the pool sheets and get them going on the TVs before you try to sort out the pools in tio. That last part takes forever and there's no reason you should have to do it before you get the actual pools going.
2. Always bring a monitor for bracket viewing purposes. Can't imagine how awkward it would have been without the monitor at this, and since I won't be at all future Brawl tourneys, find someone else with a spare monitor and always have them bring it.
3. Pay someone to sit behind the TO desk and constantly update brackets. Pay someone else to roam around the venue throughout the day and enforce matches to be played. These are thankless jobs, so it's easy to see why nobody did it before.
4. Get everyone's full attention, and I mean everyone, before making an announcement. Too many people were still talking and too many TVs were still blasting game music during the announcements at this. You will save so much time and effort from not having to answer repeat questions from attendees who weren't listening.
5. DQ people for not having common sense. Nobody should be starting a new moneymatch while they're already two rounds behind everyone else in bracket. Nobody should be getting food while they still have pools matches to be played during their wave.
6. Don't let everyone try to play their set on the livestream. The queue nature of bracket means any sets that aren't played along with the rest of the sets in the same round quickly lead to a bottleneck. Tourney could have easily finished by 11pm if this was taken care of.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
~Kool Ori_bro Shoutouts :secretkpop:

1: Ally ($360.00) - congrats on the win Elliot, nice seeing you despite not playing.
2: Shugo ($165.00) - good **** on nearly taking the set off of Ally. Your Falco was on point Saturday.
3: MJG ($105.)00 - nice stuff getting top 3, fun set in doubles. I'm happy it went to game 3.
4: Toronto Joe ($60.00) - ALL PRAISE LORD JOE!
5: Turkey Wonder (Seagull Joe) ($30.00) - Fun set, you are a very talented :wolf: I definitely need to step up my game.
5: Ragequaza ($30.00) - Always a pleasure teaming my friend. I think top 3 next time is in order ;) Also congrats on the top 5! Best in MI? Also don't get down on yourself if you sd once ir twice, :snake: is one of those characters that can always make sick comebacks.
7: Kain - fun stuff in doubles.
7: DeLux - Great to see you again Phil, hope that $5 donation money match helped out. Nice stuff getting top 8.
9: Meekspeedy - you had a rough bracket Ben, you definitely played great regardless. Hope to see you soon.
9: Azure Kenny - Mah boi Kenny going in getting top 12 despite not playing for 2-3 months <3
9: Keitaro - thanks for coming out, it was a pleasure to have you here and it was great to have you on commentary.
9: Lain - sup lol. I think you blessed my controller, I was playing well lol.
13: fZk - Good **** getting 13th Juan you are becoming such a beast right now.
13: Sago - fun set, that one missed cg really did cost me the set. But it was fun regardless. Also fun doubles set.
13: Sauc3 - great seeing your again dude. You are a cool dude to hang with.
13: Zinoto - Freenoto strikes again? fun stuff in pools. I'll get better at that diddy MU eventually.
17: Rizk - RizzyK the best Fox. Good stuff beating King Beef you'll do better next time.
17: Tech_Chase - Nice stuff beating Keitaro. That set was mad hype.
17: Ori - yay!
17: YoshQ - fun doubles set.
17: Gio - YooooOOOOooOOo nice job in doubles
17: Bowyer - fun doubles set
17: What's the Point - fun stuff in dubs
17: Eddie G - we didn't play :mad:
25: Clowsui - The prophet Chi lol.
25: Sparta Kick - rough time in singles :L but good **** in doubles.
25: SamuraiPanda - :O it was great to see you. Also it was nice to have you on commentary, you still got it :D
25: Patches - nice to see you Ian. Wish we had played more though :L
25: Bpow - fun set, your :wario: is too good win or lose. Can't wait to play you again.
33: Xatic - Yo stream was too strong, until next time mah dude.
33: JTsm - FISH FLOPPPPP
33: LordHelmet - FF Rusthelmet :L
33: CookiCrumz - nice seeing you
33: Iliad - One of the funniest dudes ever lol. Nice to meet/play you and until next time sir.
33: XeroXen - :mario2: is so broken :L
33: BurntEggz - nice to finally meet you, wish we had played. hmu up on AiB if you wanna get some games in.
33: Gifts - the PSP Charger ;~;
33: Rabbi Nevins - Yo :delfino: too strong amiright?
33: LOE1 - fun set, until our next encounter.

Special Section!
• Canada - you guys were phenomenal guests. You are all welcomed to come and stay again whenever you are in the States. My parents can't stop mentioning to me about how well mannered you guys were, and how you guys were wonderful guests. Till next time John, Joe, Ben, Curtis, and Ian.

• Miles/Rob/Joey - Always a pleasure having you guys over as well. I love seeing you guys and I'm always happy to help pitch some extra money to you guys to ensure a good time is had. Also, singing Winter Wrap Up on the way back from Kenny's was too legit.

• Ms. Reset - Always nice to see you, glad to know you are doing well. Can't wait to see you again.

• Fish Flop - Xatic, JTSM, Topix, Meek it was great to see you all. We all did well except TOPIX :mad: jkjk but yeah we got this though.

• Juggleguy - Words cannot describe the amount of thanks we need to give you. We were on point the entire day except a few bumps here and there if you know what I'm talking about ;). The venue was ****ing amazing, and the Auditorium for Loser's and Grand Finals was the 2nd most legit ending to a tourney ever.

• PS4 Staff - We did great guys, the first MI Brawl tourney in a while that ended nearly on time. I think PS5 is going to be even better.

• Derek "Tech_Chase" Greggs - To start things off correctly, I'm giving you a HUGE round of applause. This was THE tournament. This was the best tournament, that wasn't a national, I have ever been to. The atmosphere was great, the matches were hype, it was ran efficiently, and you definitely earned it. I'm glad I could help as much as I could. I'm glad everything worked out so well with this being part of the ROAD to APEX 2013 and it being a IMPULSE Qualifier. I look forward to Phoenix Saga 5 and I will be first in line for being on staff again.

• Ori - Shoutouts to me for forgetting my bag of 4 power strips and 5 extension cords.

Thats all guys if I'm forgetting anyone, Nice seeing you. Thanks for coming out and being a part of Michigan's biggest Brawl tournament and we will see you all soon!

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Good tourney, glad I got to help run things! I made a lot of observations at this that I'd like to share with the MI Brawl community. Not really criticism, just suggestions based what I saw.

1. Make and revise pools in Google Docs, not in tio. Write out the pool sheets and get them going on the TVs before you try to sort out the pools in tio. That last part takes forever and there's no reason you should have to do it before you get the actual pools going.
2. Always bring a monitor for bracket viewing purposes. Can't imagine how awkward it would have been without the monitor at this, and since I won't be at all future Brawl tourneys, find someone else with a spare monitor and always have them bring it.
3. Pay someone to sit behind the TO desk and constantly update brackets. Pay someone else to roam around the venue throughout the day and enforce matches to be played. These are thankless jobs, so it's easy to see why nobody did it before.
4. Get everyone's full attention, and I mean everyone, before making an announcement. Too many people were still talking and too many TVs were still blasting game music during the announcements at this. You will save so much time and effort from not having to answer repeat questions from attendees who weren't listening.
5. DQ people for not having common sense. Nobody should be starting a new moneymatch while they're already two rounds behind everyone else in bracket. Nobody should be getting food while they still have pools matches to be played during their wave.
6. Don't let everyone try to play their set on the livestream. The queue nature of bracket means any sets that aren't played along with the rest of the sets in the same round quickly lead to a bottleneck. Tourney could have easily finished by 11pm if this was taken care of.
You for got one
7. Meek is the bane of all bracket progression so don't allow him to enter tourneys anymore :denzel:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Can the apex seeding points be put in the OP at the bottom for each person who got some? How much did I get for 5th?

Edit: Just include them at the bottom of the OP I guess. Would be nice for Alex/Chibo!

1st – 1024 points
2nd – 512 points
3rd – 128 points
4th – 64 points
5th – 16 points
7th – 8 points
9th – 2 points
13th – 1 point

:018:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm writing a paper right now. The bracket, seeding points, etc will be up when I'm done with class today.

Back to last minute school work.

-dip-

BPx

Smash Lord
i am assbutts at this game

ggs to everyone and a big shoutout to thugz for housing/other things

more later maybe but i kinda hate everything atm

at least i didn't lose to luigi with metaknight tho

Zinoto

Smash Lord
i am assbutts at this game

ggs to everyone and a big shoutout to thugz for housing/other things

more later maybe but i kinda hate everything atm

at least i didn't lose to luigi with metaknight tho
Join the club lol. I gotta stop being such an oos flop.

:phone:

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
Good **** seagull, meek, and ori =o

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Lol just realized that Averil and Bpow MM'd me for gas money :088:. KS, if you have a problem like that I'd be more than willing to help out, you gotta let me know though. Still, ggs MJG next time imma win.

EDIT: Basura is free :wolf: :denzel:

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Props to JuggleGuy for helping the **** out of this tournament.

Props to Tech and everyone else who helped.

Won't be doing shoutouts because ya'll know how I feel about some people...

See ya all soon.

Lmao at Zinoto.

BASURAAAA

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
the night before this...never again LOL. Ally, please eat more than a habanero pepper before drinking to the point of regurgitation next time <3 for me.

what a shame as my bracket looked mighty free too <33

this was pretty fun, i was hoping for some more money matches though :| sorry i johned out of some. i felt pretty crappy :/

i have one confusion though, how do placings work? I beat xeroxen and then lost to ally and lost to the other dude i played, i dont remember who he was i was way out of it. But i tied xeroxen and he lost all his matches? I couldnt care less im just curious how the placings in early bracket work. Are the first two rounds of bracket grouped together in terms of placings? I want to host a tourney in the near future so i figure i should know this stuff -_______-

shoutouts to thugz for being a cool guy btw

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
the night before this...never again LOL. Ally, please eat more than a habanero pepper before drinking to the point of regurgitation next time <3 for me.

shoutouts to thugz for being a cool guy btw
I didnt even eat an Habanero pepper... it was all straight up alcohol LOL

ty for cleaning up and I almost zombie puked on you I heard. O.O

fZk

Smash Lord
Very fun tourney, ran smoothly with very little issues. I like.

I only lost to Canadians at this. Ally in pools and TO Joe and Meek in brackets.

Shoutouts!!

0: WTP's House - Thank you for letting me spend the night inside of you. You're very clean, comfortable and can fit many men inside you at the same time.

1: Ally ($360.00) - It's amazing how good you are. You almost puked on me too, I'm surprised you were on your feet the next morning.

2: Shugo ($165.00) - Congrats on second, we rarely talk or play at this things.

3: MJG ($105.00) - Didin't play you this time.

4: Toronto Joe ($60.00) - You surprised me. I wasn't expecting an agressive MK, I did much better on the second match once I caught on.

5: Turkey Wonder (Seagull Joe) ($30.00) - Fun friendlies.

5: Ragequaza ($30.00) - People keep underestimating you. Hate to say it, but you're probably the best in MI right now.

7: Kain - Surprised to see you this low.

7: DeLux - Fun friendlies. Your ICs are very good, your MK is not bad either.

9: Meekspeedy - I had no idea what Sonic was doing most of the time. I was catching on but sadly it was a too late. But I got you next time.

9: Azure Kenny - Yoooooo Kenny! You're very good and very black, keep it up!

9: Keitaro - Didn't play.
9: Lain - Great seeing you again. Looking very handsome with that new haircut.

13: fZk

13: Sago - Samus is broken. Good thing you only had one stock left in the crew battle.

13: Sauc3 - We didn't play but I'm glad my controller was useful to you.

13: Zinoto - We all know you're much better than this Julian. Thanks for saying I'm improving but I feel I haven't gotten any better in over a year. I'm just terribly inconsistent, I was playing well this day.

17: Rizk - Glad I got to play you. You need more work a the Diddy matchup.

17: Tech_Chase - Same shoutout as WTP's House. :woman:

17: Ori - Good job Ori, glad we didn't play this time in bracket.

17: YoshQ - we never played.
17: Gio - Good to see you again Gio, we didn't talk much this time though.

17: Bowyer - Come out for more tourneys.

17: What's the Point - Thanks for housing everybody and thanks for the cereal. I should have stolen the waffles.

17: Eddie G - Boricua!!!!! More :peach: less :metaknight: next time. Great seeing you again.

25: Clowsui - I feel you try to do to much when you play and that's why you loose. You should focus on spacing properly and punishing mistakes which is what Marth excels at.

25: A02 - Good fox, but lol at you calling yourself the best fox next to TKD. Sorry, but not even close.

25: Sparta Kick - Surprised at your low placing at this Dan, you're one of my favorite MI smashers.

25: SamuraiPanda - Old school!! Fun friendlies at the smashfest.

33: JTsm - It seems we play at every tournament, twice on this one! Keep improving.

33: LordHelmet - good match in doubles.
33: DLA - Thanks for teaming with me! It was nice meeting and talking to you. I feel I ****ed up our last double match.

33: CookiCrumz - Good games in bracket.

33: Sergio - You're very good. Try to come out for more stuff and remember my advice.

33: Gifts - Didn't talk much to you this time Kyle.

33: Rabbi Nevins - Marco!!!!! Good call on Arby's.

33: LOE1 - You're still improving but for now I can still spank yo booty for free.

That was exhausting to write and reminds me why I don't like doing shoutouts. See you all at the next one.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
When Ally can't carry you to at least top 3 in teams in MW, there is a problem.

Good job Joe, you're better then Kain imo.

:017:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Lol just realized that Averil and Bpow MM'd me for gas money :088:. KS, if you have a problem like that I'd be more than willing to help out, you gotta let me know though. Still, ggs MJG next time imma win.

EDIT: Basura is free :wolf: :denzel:
I am really really really really sorry that I (and the rest of KS) had to MM so many people. I normally detest MM's and prior to the last couple tournaments had done maybe 5 in my whole time playing.

We were under the impression that DRDN was giving us $50 to our carpool to help pay the trip. Even though we stayed with Thugz, he left me with the understanding we were still receiving the financial aide to get around and were more than willing to stay with him the day before or after the tournament if he wanted the exp of playing us in exchange for cash. I also offered him $45 worth of discounts for GH2 in September in the event it didn't happen.

However he went on his getting banned thing and did not give us that cash, so between the 4 of us we were literally about $80 in the hole (50 of it anticipated from DRDN) so we had to make the collective choice to do everything we could to make it back since MJG, Bpow, and Bonds are all hobos with no source of income.

I don't want to sound ungrateful because we DID get A HUGE amount of help from MI (Thugz with that gift card and Tech with that venue cash), but it was a very unsettling that DRDN wouldn't be upfront about the situation when we were upfront with him.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I am really really really really sorry that I (and the rest of KS) had to MM so many people. I normally detest MM's and prior to the last couple tournaments had done maybe 5 in my whole time playing.

We were under the impression that DRDN was giving us $50 to our carpool to help pay the trip. Even though we stayed with Thugz, he left me with the understanding we were still receiving the financial aide to get around and were more than willing to stay with him the day before or after the tournament if he wanted the exp of playing us in exchange for cash.

However he went on his getting banned thing and did not give us that cash, so between the 4 of us we were literally about $80 in the hole (50 of it anticipated from DRDN) so we had to make the collective choice to do everything we could to make it back since MJG, Bpow, and Bonds are all hobos with no source of income.
Lol I was joking about this. I've been bugging the **** out of MJG for a money match since Vengeance (you too iirc). Chi told me about that, I think that's MI fault, not you guys. If you guys get stuck in a pickle like that again, I got your back. KS is cool ppl, especially you, Bpow, and Averil, and I just want you guys to have a good time down here.

EDIT: Bpow, you better team with me the next time you're down here :mad:

LOE1

Smash Lord
DRDN chickening out on out $100 mm tho

EDIT: Also, Bpow and Zino vs me and fZk next time? hype

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Yeah, I'm not too upset about the whole not getting $50 thing. It's his money to do what he wants with and we aren't entitled to anything.

What bothers me is that he'd tell us he's doing it and then wouldn't do it. It's hard traveling 13 hours based on just blindly trusting someone to follow through on commitments, especially now that this happened. If Thugz didn't bail us out, we would have been really ****ed (and/or MJG and I would have had to pay for like almost the entire trip out of our pockets).

It never occurred to me that someone wouldn't follow through with how my past experiences with the smash community have gone. Now I'll have to think twice about how we do things and will have to work out backup plans in case these scenarios happen lol

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
YoshQ: Nice to finally meet you.
What's the Point: Forever banning Frigate now.
DLA: I was really just going to use Lucario if you had accepted the match.
XeroXen: In all honesty, keep using Zero Suit. I have no right trying to tell a player how to play the game.
BurntEggz: Just practice DR. It's just takes muscle memory and thumb speed.

Also, if I was the TO, I would have DQ'd both players of that Falco vs Toonlink match. I couldn't even keep my eyes open to watch that mess.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Phil I could've covered you for the whole $80 lol

fZk I mostly agree with what you have to say but I'll need to look at the matches again to be sure. I don't like playing my opponent's game (Diddy and Marth essentially want to do the same thing in the MU) but I guess that's the nature of a disadvantaged MU

Top Bottom