• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to EVO: Norcal Regionals (NCR) - ONLINE REG ONLY - April 26th, 2013 - Sunnyvale, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
So... Mango 5-3 Hbox. That double bracket logic where losing in record you can still win the tournament lol

like Bobby said, loser's Mango is top tier while winner's Mango is mid tier sometimes

Vegard

Smash Lord
So... Mango 5-3 Hbox. That double bracket logic where losing in record you can still win the tournament lol

like Bobby said, loser's Mango is top tier while winner's Mango is mid tier sometimes

The Mango nation mentality has turned into a self-parody.

LLDL

Smash Hero
only 110 pple for melee? lol thats pathetic
Not really. Any 100+ is impressive and this was not advertised for long.

But I was under the impression it was around 64 entrants, which is pretty pathetic.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Are you **** serious

Double elimination is double elimination, we all know the rules, it's just the nature of the game. HBox lost one set, Mango lost two sets--or have you already forgotten that Mango lost to PewPewU while Hungrybox 3-0'd him? This isn't the first time game count has been lopsided and won't be the last. We don't score the tourney by game count the same way we don't score it by stock count (I don't even want to think of all the sets where stock count has been lopsided against the set victor, but no one complains that so and so took more stocks).

tl;dr: Don't think "Mango won 5 games HBox won 3 games," think "Mango lost two sets, HBox only lost one," since, y'know, that's the one measure that matters as we all knew walking into this tournament. #nojohns

I'm imagining an alternate universe where pro tennis players moan and groan after losing a tournament because they won more games but lost in set count

EDIT: Oh yeah btw stream was super hype, this was a really enjoyable tourney to watch, though I really wish it had all been Bo5. FGC format sadface. It was good to have KoC2 and this tournament back-to-back because the contrast made it very clear just how good Bo5 for most/all of bracket is.

Revven

FrankerZ
But I was under the impression it was around 64 entrants, which is pretty pathetic.
Not 64, 73 entrants. And actually, that's not really pathetic if you look at the other games where I believe Tekken Tag 2, MK, P4A, and DoA5 all had less than Melee. Melee's turnout was just below the Capcom games.

I mean yes, this could've had way more and I think the reason we didn't was because of KoC2 two weeks prior. But this was much better than WB7 and the entire Top 8 was phenomenal; the stream went nuts and lots of people who hadn't seen Smash were exposed to it. And a lot of them were liking it.

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Not 64, 73 entrants. And actually, that's not really pathetic if you look at the other games where I believe Tekken Tag 2, MK, P4A, and DoA5 all had less than Melee. Melee's turnout was just below the Capcom games.

I mean yes, this could've had way more and I think the reason we didn't was because of KoC2 two weeks prior. But this was much better than WB7 and the entire Top 8 was phenomenal; the stream went nuts and lots of people who hadn't seen Smash were exposed to it. And a lot of them were liking it.
It's not KoC2, it's because it was done on a Friday morning.
Tourney was fun cause it's melee and hangin out with friends, shoutouts later

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
only 110 pple for melee? lol thats pathetic
how about you show up and make slightly less pathetic by one entrant?

There were quite a few reasons for the low turnout. KoC was just 2 weeks ago. Melee was added on pretty late to NCR. It was $50ish to enter what was essentially a 1 day tournament for most melee players (no room for casual setups day 2 and only ~2 hours of barely being able to see top 8 because it was in a weird place for all of us to see). I can see why anyone who wasn't in the running to make top 8 might be dissuaded from entering due to the bracket pool structure, so shoutouts to all the people that entered regardless of that. Also, the room we were in for day 1 was pretty packed even with only 73 entrants. IIRC we had the 3rd most entrants for any game at NCR behind SSF4 and MvC3 (at least based on pre-reg numbers).

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Melee players were given a brutal Friday morning start, a puny 1000 square foot room, a bare-bones two guaranteed tournament sets, and only one day's worth of friendlies. Considering those unfavorable conditions, I'd say 73 entrants is pretty amazing. It's a two-way street when it comes to the turnout at these. Much appreciation to NCR for the opportunity, of course... but nobody should expect a triple-digit turnout under the circumstances described.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
how about you show up and make slightly less pathetic by one entrant?

There were quite a few reasons for the low turnout. KoC was just 2 weeks ago. Melee was added on pretty late to NCR. It was $50ish to enter what was essentially a 1 day tournament for most melee players (no room for casual setups day 2 and only ~2 hours of barely being able to see top 8 because it was in a weird place for all of us to see). I can see why anyone who wasn't in the running to make top 8 might be dissuaded from entering due to the bracket pool structure, so shoutouts to all the people that entered regardless of that. Also, the room we were in for day 1 was pretty packed even with only 73 entrants. IIRC we had the 3rd most entrants for any game at NCR behind SSF4 and MvC3 (at least based on pre-reg numbers).
are you gonna show up? cause I'll money match you no prob bro. The last time I was in cali I owned everyone, only lost to shroomed cuz hes black. And said he would steal my tv and **** my family if i didn't throw the game.

michael_li

Smash Ace
are you gonna show up? cause I'll money match you no prob bro. The last time I was in cali I owned everyone, only lost to shroomed cuz hes black. And said he would steal my tv and **** my family if i didn't throw the game.
yea i saw it all, made whole cali PR rage quit and they almost killed themselves after crying. its worth it, you kept your TV and your families buttholes from anal hemorrhage

robyextreme

Smash Ace
yea i saw it all, made whole cali PR rage quit and they almost killed themselves after crying. its worth it, you kept your TV and your families buttholes from anal hemorrhage
almost killed themself? pretty sure most of their relatives did after the shame of losing to randoms

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
It's absolutely ridiculous that top 8 wasn't streamed along with the rest of the tournament finals. Streamed on saturday on a secondary channel. What the hell.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
This was rather difficult for many to attend because it is nearing the end of the semester for most people. Also many people in NorCal have jobs which makes it difficult to attend on a Friday. Given those restraints, I think we did well for ourselves and behaved in a manner that collectively showed the positives of the melee community

Battlecow

Play to Win
what's ****ed up is that it's apparently impossible to get vids of top 8 anywhere. Shoutouts to Apex, shoutouts to IPW being lame

AXE 09

Smash Master
Fun tournament!!
Commentated a little bit for the first time ever. Not sure if anyone liked it, but it was actually a lot of fun :) Wouldn't mind doing it more in the future lol

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
It's absolutely ridiculous that top 8 wasn't streamed along with the rest of the tournament finals. Streamed on saturday on a secondary channel. What the hell.
I don't want to ***** because we have a unique opportunity. But it really is kind of lame how we put in all the effort for the donation drive, we always have to "prove" ourselves at these events and show up to tourneys that aren't run how we are accustomed to running, with venue fees double what we're use to paying. we're told we're welcomed with open arms and then tossed in some side room, on some side stream. on day 2. My biggest issue is that we were in direct competition with the biggest game of the tourney umvc3.

It's like being invited to a party but not being allowed downstairs where the keg is.

P.s. i think mango nation is officially dead. He's good but he just plays sloppy and makes so many mistakes he seems to not care about. That's why he got bodied by m2k at apex. I think everyone should wobble, and chain grab mango until he gets his stuff together.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I would have preferred it if we were streamed on Sp00ky's, not the secondary but oh well. I heard there was hype though.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/04/28/roa...y-1-streaming-live-from-sunnyvale-california/ Also, this page is rather well funny.... I guess

1. HungryBox (Jigglypuff)
2. Mango (Fox, Marth)
3. PewPewU (Fox, Falco)
4. WestBallz (Fox, Captain Falcon)
5. S2J (Falco)
5. Fly Amanita (Ice Climbers)
7. Zhu (Captain Falcon)
7. Sung (Shiek)
Makes perfect sense (wait wat)
Before people ask, the results are done through SRK through the IPW stream. I know that people were saying in stream/on twitter to change the names for some of the matches, oh well.... I guess.
So the smash community is seen well by IPW....I guess.

Revven

FrankerZ
People are acting like being on IPW was a huge negative. It really wasn't, but I'll agree that it was pretty jank how UMvC3 was on sp00ky's at the same time Melee was on IPW's.

Whatever the case, we still got exposure to new people.

Revven

FrankerZ
I would have preferred it if we were streamed on Sp00ky's, not the secondary but oh well. I heard there was hype though.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/04/28/roa...y-1-streaming-live-from-sunnyvale-california/ Also, this page is rather well funny.... I guess

1. HungryBox (Jigglypuff)
2. Mango (Fox, Marth)
3. PewPewU (Fox, Falco)
4. WestBallz (Fox, Captain Falcon)
5. S2J (Falco)
5. Fly Amanita (Ice Climbers)
7. Zhu (Captain Falcon)
7. Sung (Shiek)
Makes perfect sense (wait wat)
Before people ask, the results are done through SRK through the IPW stream. I know that people were saying in stream/on twitter to change the names for some of the matches, oh well.... I guess.
So the smash community is seen well by IPW....I guess.
Excuse the double post, but I took it upon myself to PM USD on NeoGAF the corrections and the newspost was just now corrected to have the proper characters for the proper players. You can thank me later.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
the live stream was awesome. i missed ~the first hour but 60 fps + the feeling of watching something simultaneously with other live human beings >>>> watching 30fps on youtube all alone with a shriveled **** post coitus

if you missed out, get ***** cuz ipw charges a subscriber fee so you won't be seeing 60fps of these sick matches. ever.

this t8 was the most stacked t8 ive ever been apart of (including apex and yadda yadda) because you don't know who's gonna win.

hbox coming back from a 2-1 deficit to legit **** mango with some amazing rests/play under the most intense of pressure? one of the highlights of melee history.

btw: LOL to scar/toph not knowing a champ combo when they see one.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I never even knew this was going on. I really want to see the matches seeing how PewpewU got 3rd.

strawhats

Smash Master
I don't want to ***** because we have a unique opportunity. But it really is kind of lame how we put in all the effort for the donation drive, we always have to "prove" ourselves at these events and show up to tourneys that aren't run how we are accustomed to running, with venue fees double what we're use to paying. we're told we're welcomed with open arms and then tossed in some side room, on some side stream. on day 2. My biggest issue is that we were in direct competition with the biggest game of the tourney umvc3.

It's like being invited to a party but not being allowed downstairs where the keg is.

P.s. i think mango nation is officially dead. He's good but he just plays sloppy and makes so many mistakes he seems to not care about. That's why he got bodied by m2k at apex. I think everyone should wobble, and chain grab mango until he gets his stuff together.
Maybe wit Puff? Crown/Box Tag and dat 07/08 swagger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom