• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROM 5 - Mew2King vs Unknown522

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Unknown actually has a job right now, he doesn't need the money.

What I don't understand from all this is how there could be so much depression and demotivation so far into such an exciting tournament. You could see it on their faces, all of the top 3 were sad, even though they were smiling on camera throughout the rest of the day.
If it isn't about the money then they need to stop being ****ies.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Warming up for 2 minutes before every set is pretty excessive
It is. I basically just need to sh a few times, wavedash a few times, shine->sh a few times to get a basic warmup between switching tvs. Anything beyond that should have been done prior to the set being called.

R3N0

Smash Lord
I want to put out there that Alukard, myself and the rest of the T.O's worked extremely hard for this tournament. And I want to say that I have noticed a disturbing trend with M2K's abuse of his "top player" status.

This isn't cool.

Also I back what Alukard said in full. This is really embarrassing for Melee players in general. Have some pride, placings are still placings.

:phone:

Gea

Smash Master
It is. I basically just need to sh a few times, wavedash a few times, shine->sh a few times to get a basic warmup between switching tvs. Anything beyond that should have been done prior to the set being called.
That was kind of my original point. Sorry if I was unclear.

Also another +1 to Hugo's post

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
It's not a button check. It's "get familiar with the TV and warm up for 2 minutes". But button check is easier to say.
this. Every time you plug your controller into a new cube it is going to be different then it was before. Your Stick might be slightly tilted a different way. Your Cstick could just for some reason decide it wont work unless you re-plug it in. Mabye you wanna check the sound on the tv turn it up or down. I think a 20-30s check make sure everythings cool for the set is fine. I dont think warmups between matches in a set is fine unless something explicitly went wrong. This checking your controller is important if we want the best sets we can get and 30s is hardly to long to wait to get those sets.

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't M2K just borrow a controller? Also nobody has to warmup except for M2K as far as I know, so why let him do that?

Alukard, don't hurt yourself that much, this isn't healthy for you.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Once again, it's not controller johns that call for a button check, it's just getting used to the tv. Not all tv's have the same colour, smoothness, size, brightness etc. etc.
Just taking 30 seconds to get used to it, as well as checking if you can still do your tech skill, shouldn't be a problem.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Getting used to a certain tv is completely necessary. I dont care if it holds the stream up for 30 seconds or so. Its better than filling the stream with a jank match composed of two players messing up solely because they didnt warm up to their current circumstances

also: i agree that it should be limited

Construct

Smash Journeyman
The problem isn't the idea of a quick warmup; the problem is that they took 2 minutes apiece and they did them between every ****ing match. They need to be limited.

Edit: The post HugS made was fantastic. Also, if someone forfeits, they're out. They forfeited. Post rules on every setup and make it the player's responsibility to know the rules (as it supposedly is now). The Melee community is better than this.

Max?

Smash Champion
Man, I feel so bad for Alu. And Hax too, I know how excited he was to do well at this tourney and it was more or less **** all over by a few bad decisions. Everything after WS was a joke.

And also

Why are button checks for more than 10 seconds even a thing? This isn't a matter of customizing your controls, this is "oh ****, is my controller working properly? Yes okay"

Warmups are a waste of bracket time.

Edit: and all of these ****ing controller johns needs to stop. It's on you to have a functional controller for the tournament.
Warming up for 2 minutes before every set is pretty excessive
This.

Button checks need to STOP.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Pfft. 92 people viewing this thread, this is silly.

Instead of all this hate, how about we try to redirect and focus on what we have learned from this tourney?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Pfft. 92 people viewing this thread, this is silly.

Instead of all this hate, how about we try to redirect and focus on what we have learned from this tourney?

Does "Crap like this is totally unacceptable and people that do it need to be held accountable" count? Granted...that probably should've been a given even before this went down, but still.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
M2K can't claim to not have known until after the set. I told him and unknown prior to match 5 starting that he was not allowed to go to fd unless unknown agreed, and unknown stated that he would not agree to play fd again if that was the case. I went back and talked to alukard to clarify the rules immediately after telling them this. Alukard was immediately available to confirm the rule. From what I gather, m2k continued to pressure unknown to agree after I left, and unknown caved because he was being nice and didn't want to hold up the stream.
****ing this. So much this

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
i was gonna turn off my xbox to watch the last sets of rom, glad i didnt
That H4 and BLOPS2 is sadly better than Melee now lol.

GF should of seriously been Hax vs Eggm. It would of been hype and legit. I wish =/
1 minute "button checks" should be the rule, at most 1 minute.
M2K def did lie and try to swindle unknown into FD. M2K did destroy him on fd, but at the same time Unknown almost made our community forget Amsah vs EK.
KK vs Unknown was lame. M2k asked them to split, and I think that single handidly destroyed Canada's fire. Although they should of just played it out like men.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
There was NOTHING intentional. I thought it was the rule since not only has that been what it's always been, but he went to FoD twice so why couldn't I go to FD twice?. I found out later by talking to Cactuar that that wasn't the case, since I won on FoD but he lost on FD. There was NO trickery, it was a misunderstanding, that i found out afterwords. If that will be blamed on me then I am sorry for that mistake but it was NOT intentional AT ALL. I'm not like that. Many of you people gossiping about this don't know what you're talking about.
M2K can't claim to not have known until after the set. I told him and unknown prior to match 5 starting that he was not allowed to go to fd unless unknown agreed, and unknown stated that he would not agree to play fd again if that was the case. I went back and talked to alukard to clarify the rules immediately after telling them this. Alukard was immediately available to confirm the rule. From what I gather, m2k continued to pressure unknown to agree after I left, and unknown caved because he was being nice and didn't want to hold up the stream.
M2K is a pathetic johning lying scumbag

Scar

#HarveyDent
@hugo, great post and i happen to agree, but unfortunately not everyone shares our values.

all i have to say is

battlefield only

edit: does dave's modified stupid rule even make logical sense? seems to artificially make it important which game in a set you win/lose
couldn't agree more and the above is a legitimate question which I've always wanted to see answered

and regarding m2k - i totally agree with the OP about TOs having to make non status quo rules very clear at the beginning of a tournament. Which means that yes, I couldn't possibly disagree with PinkReaper's post more (i.e. everyone is responsible for reading the thread or whatever = bull****, there does exist such a thing as group expectations and this community has done nothing over the years to enforce the idea that we actually need to read all of the details in the OP, which often include bring your own controller)

Juggleguy forces everyone to turn the tvs OFF so there is no volume at all, and only his voice over a mic to explain how the tourney was going to happen.

i have a lot of sympathy for players who have gone to tournaments for 7 years and have acted consistently the same way at every tournament, and then randomly are punished extremely hard for that same behavior. the main reason it troubles me is that there is so little effort necessary to make your intentions as a to clear. basically this:

LISTEN EVERYONE: IF YOU DO NOT PLAY YOUR MATCHES ON TIME, OR DO NOT REPORT YOUR MATCHES ON TIME, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THIS TOURNAMENT. Basically - if you expect this tournament to be the same as all of the other tournaments, you are sadly mistaken!!! (shoutouts to Hazz) If you have any questions about it come up to me and ask.

I think we just need to have a serious conversation to figure out what the consensus opinion is from the various interested parties and compromise from there.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
M2K is a pathetic johning lying scumbag

Well I mean, he said nothing was intentional and he didn't know, while in the SAME POST saying that he "Always splits" and things like that, which essentially contradicted his earlier part of the post and almost had him admitting he knew what he was doing.

Scar

#HarveyDent
and for the record, at the very least i was confused about whether you could go back to FD or not. i was there when cactuar said what he said, and i was pretty convinced that he was right and they could not go back to FD (DSR standard, or whatever).

but just to throw my $0.02 in, of course i don't think it's right for M2K to pressure unknown into pressing start and playing out the match, but for real how hard is it for the player with the question (unknown in this situation) to just get up and walk away until it's resolved lol

tl;dr - we all have to be responsible for the things we can control

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i disagree that alu did anything "wrong", he did what most TO's do, only this time it caused confusion. the people at fault are the players.

If alu ****ed up, pretty much any TO besides juggleguy ****s up every tournament.

IMO start printing off the rules and put them at each setup.

idea

Smash Master
i have a lot of sympathy for players who have gone to tournaments for 7 years and have acted consistently the same way at every tournament, and then randomly are punished extremely hard for that same behavior.
exactly.

but i think the surprisingly strong backlash will prevent this from happening again.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Does "Crap like this is totally unacceptable and people that do it need to be held accountable" count? Granted...that probably should've been a given even before this went down, but still.
Bluntly put, but yes. However, I was thinking more in terms of details and the like.

and for the record, at the very least i was confused about whether you could go back to FD or not. i was there when cactuar said what he said, and i was pretty convinced that he was right and they could not go back to FD (DSR standard, or whatever).

but just to throw my $0.02 in, of course i don't think it's right for M2K to pressure unknown into pressing start and playing out the match, but for real how hard is it for the player with the question (unknown in this situation) to just get up and walk away until it's resolved lol

This is why I love you. I'll also take YOUR word of the events that took place in comparison to anyone else's. Mangonationbaby.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Smash needs a strong showing at NEC to save face. There were several thousand non-smashers in the RoM stream, and it just made us look like more of a joke than we're already considered. Here is the thread, and a strong showing (West Coast?) would be HUGE for Smash.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
btw, anyone who says "this is why the community sucks" needs to shut the **** up and write this off as an isolated incident. maybe m2k is a prevalent problem, but other than the finals this tourney was great. the last 3 big tourneys (KoC, TBH2, and FC) all ran without a major hitch, and one botched tourney determines the state of the community?

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
If Unknown522 won game 5, would Alukard have made them replay it? If the answer is "no", that makes this even more ridiculous. (Even so, I think they should have let the result stand.)
All of ya shut the **** up u all sound like Lil *****es

Who r ya to say they can't spilt

It's a ****ing video game they can do whatever the **** they want if they got that far in brakit

I'm ****ing glad I don't play anymore u smashers now a days r lil *****es ya ***** about everything instead of trying to get good your selfs

lol dat jman, lil ***** goin in on some people.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
btw, anyone who says "this is why the community sucks" needs to shut the **** up and write this off as an isolated incident. maybe m2k is a prevalent problem, but other than the finals this tourney was great. the last 3 big tourneys (KoC, TBH2, and FC) all ran without a major hitch, and one botched tourney determines the state of the community?

I certainly didn't mean to say the action itself "makes the scene suck" (and I in fact do not think the scene sucks), I just think letting stuff like it slide does the scene absolutely no favours whatsoever. No way this would've been let slide at something like EVO, Canada Cup, SBO, or the recent AFC and Big Two events. Hell, I doubt people would've let it slide at T13 either. And I can pretty much say with confidence if it happens with any non-Smash game at NEC 13, it's gonna be dealt with, just as it should for Smash itself. Have the respect for yourselves that you want others to have for you.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master

this, I understand we are a bunch of video game nerds but cmon, both of these players are grown *** men. Grow up guys, take responsibility for your actions and learn how to defend yourselves.

Unknown, how are you gonna let this little 100 lb kid pressure you into playing on a stage that you believe isn't legal? like really? Just get up and clarify for yourself what is/isn't legal and problem solved. It was completely on you for losing game 5 and you shouldn't have been allowed to replay that game.

M2K, how many times do you need to hear from people that splitting in these instances is frowned upon? Stop doing this ****, people give you so much **** because you act like a little kid and don't ****ing listen. You want to keep making money off this game? Then stop doing **** like this that hurts the community and threatens the health of the tournament scene. That being said, stick to your guns or keep playing. Forfeit or go hard and finish out the tournament. Had you handled this like a man, more people (myself included) would be on your side in this all the way. You gave your consent for the bracket switch so you don't have a right to complain about that. If you don't want something liek that to happen tho, just say no. Stand up for yourself. Also, bro just get a part-time job. If you are gonna be constantly trying to split/killing hype at tournaments because you "need" the money, i'll tell you right now, you would make more money off a regular job.

Alucard, making M2K replay that game was some bs. Unknown is responsible for agreeing to play that game 5, that should of been the end of it. Bracket switch was fine imo, since M2K gave his consent.

Handle yourselves like adults and this **** wouldn't happen. It's really as simple as that. Unknown, you're my boi, cmon man you need to be smarter/stronger than this. M2K, cmon bro enough is enough, time to grow up.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
^^this times infiinity

too many stupid people coming in talking about how "this is the reason why i left the community"

Eggm

Smash Hero
Someone suggested earlier in this thread to change the timer to 1-minute and let people use that minute for their button checks / get used to the TV.

I think it's a great idea. 60 seconds isn't that long. The main issue was how long m2k was taking to warm up. In his set vs me, he was doing bairs on the top platform forever. At least it felt like forever.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
This community just needs to stop being so "nice" and start being competitive. People agree to splitting and "gentleman's clause" and all types of crap for the sake of being "nice". This is also part of the reason why we have +2 minute plus warmups in EVERY set. Usually one person asks the other "mind if we warm up first?" and then it goes on and on. The proper answer should be "no b****, if your hands are cold, DEAL WIT IT"

wiito

Smash Apprentice
The TOs should put copies of the rules on the stations, stick them to the tables or I don't know D:

The Star King

Smash Hero
^^this times infiinity

too many stupid people coming in talking about how "this is the reason why i left the community"
I've read all the Melee Discussion threads and people were saying that it looked bad to other communities, which is understandable. Or suggested ways to improve the community (which should be accepted). Nobody really said anything bad about the community themselves (except Umbreon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom