• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If a Namco character being up to Sakurai makes them unlikely, why does Mega Man being up to Sakurai (which Capcom has stated) not?
Because, unlike any Namco character, Megaman has a huge amount of popularity and demand (sure, not as much as Sonic did, but most out of the remaining third party characters), so logically if Sakurai was inclined to add more third parties, he would start at the top. No character will ever match Sonic's pre-Brawl popularity, but that doesn't mean no more new third parties will ever be added.

I suppose it would be different if there was a specific Namco character with a large amount of popularity and demand (even if it was less than Megaman's), but as popularity dictates priority third-party inclusion (bar personal friendships), Megaman is still the far most likely third-party addition.

Plus it's not just because he's iconic that people think that Pac-Man has the best chance of Namco characters, it's a mix being an icon, being one of the most popular video game characters ever (even if not translatable into Smash demand), and the fact that no other Namco character really sticks out as super-probable. However, because popularity is key for third-parties, and no Namco character really has it for Smash, many people believe Sakurai will pass. Of course, if Sakurai had a close personal friend at Namco who controlled a large IP of theirs (and didn't state they were leaving it up to Sakurai), obviously people might think differently.

And on a personal note, I totally would've preferred NiGHTS to Sonic in Brawl. :awesome::p

D

Deleted member

People clearly overstate Mega Man's likelihood.

The fact alone that he is not Sonic level in demand is already a bad sign, given that it, once again, BARELY helped Sonic squeak by at the last minute.

2nd, Capcom is pretty much not pushing for him. The fact that they pretty much leave it up to Sakurai to decide is a red flag. It didn't help him come Brawl's time, and with less of priority focused on new characters and Sakurai's stance on not adding 3rd Parties "willy-nilly", it's very probable to hinder him once again.

3rd, we already have a higher up with Namco Bandai, with not one, but TWO series being discussed about with characters. Tales and Tekken.
While for Tekken, the developer is unsure about whether or not Smash fans would even WANT a Tekken character or not, he does mention that the series did get the most buzz out of NB's series once the announcement that NB would co-develop Smash 4 came. This is more a jab at Pac-Man than Mega Man, as it targets the people that say that people want Pac-Man more. Clearly, as Harada is saying, that's not the case.
For Tales, the director is the co-developer of Smash 4 alongside Sakurai, and he is very keen on the idea of a character in the game. While he does state that the final decision rests on Sakurai, he is very likely to push for it like Kojima did for Snake. And if someone who is simply a friend can get his character by Sakurai, why is it so hard to imagine a co-developer to do the same?

If anything, Mega Man is the overstated one while a NB one is the understated.

EDIT: Popularity was key for Sonic. It was not key for Snake. Therefore, popularity cannot be claimed as a key element for ALL 3rd Parties. Especially with only two examples of 3rd Party characters, one cannot claim one reasoning is key while other is exception.
You say that popularity counts, yet only one out of two had this going for them; Sonic. And that just BARELY squeaked him by, I cannot stress this enough.
Who's to say that Snake isn't the norm while Sonic is the exception? After all, if it weren't for Sonic being the most requested character (not just 3rd Party, I mean IN GENERAL), Snake would have remained the only 3rd Party.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well ****. My comp crashed just as I was finishing writing up my post, and I'm far too sleepy to write it all out again. I'll try to summarize.

1. Megaman is now, overall, counting all regions and demographics, the most requested newcomer. While not at the same level Sonic was, he is now in Sonic's position. Mixed with the fact that Sakurai has made statements expressing the possibility of a Capcom character, I wouldn't dismiss Megaman simply because he isn't as popular as the most popular character ever for Smash.

2. Yeah, Pac-Man isn't the only possibility from Namco, but as there's no clear cut character, and no statements from Sakurai, predicting the result is rough guesswork at best. However, the addition of Pac-Man would have the largest impact and would resonate with the most people out of any Namco character. And while the demographic who follows news like SSB4 development would rather have a Tekken character, overall Pac-Man is still by far the most popular Namco character. There isn't even mutual agreement over which Tekken character would get in, if any.

3. I didn't say popularity was key for ALL 3rd parties, but it is for the majority. Not that popularity will cause more than one addition per game, but it certainly is a factor. And I guess I can't prove popularity is the norm with only one example so far, but in all likelihood there's a good chance of nobody begging Sakurai for character inclusion this time around, while the chance of Sakurai pursuing the most-requested character is fairly high.

Anyway, I'm far too sleepy to continue (I barely got this out), so if you still have more, I won't be getting to it til tomorrow. :p

D

Deleted member

1. Source or this is speculation. Bear in mind that you're claiming that Mega Man is more requested than the likes of Mewtwo, who while not a Newcomer, is still a pretty damn requested character worldwide. Same with Roy.
Also K. Rool for Newcomers, who has heavy support worldwide as well. With such little information, no such claim can be made for anyone. Well, except maybe Mewtwo and Roy, but from a Newcomer sense, it can't.

2. Doesn't matter. Simon Belmont would have had a larger impact than Snake and had more resonance with the fanbase overall for Simon having much greater Nintendo history (the dude was even a main character for Captain N), but Snake is who we got.
So to claim that Pac-Man is more likely for "impact" reasons is flawed.

3. Half is not a majority. It's literally dead-even. We have two characters. One was influenced by popularity, the other wasn't. It cannot be claimed that popularity is a key factor for a majority if said majority doesn't exist.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Can I throw an oddball to you guys?

I've seen demands for some PKMN Champions to be playables, like Cynthia. Now I started to think of Iris-(I guess everyone should be knowing already she's the champion in BW2) I wonder how it'd turn out if she was actually looked on to be playable (if looking for a 5th Gen Trainer rep), and if so, could they try to mix her anime counterpart's "Action Girl" moves and using her Pokemon. Maybe she'd be actually fighting on-stage? She'd use her Pokemon like Yugi did with his cards in Jump Super Star-series and maybe deliver her own attacks as the weak ones (I mean, I was quite amazed that she tried to kick Drilbur's *** when she was little, something that the anime does very seldomly. PokeSpecial is of course used on this but yeah.)
I think her factors that drive her on is her significant roles in the 5th Gen-games (though less-to-it in B&W) and her popularity due the anime. (-l´l)

I'm not trying to be serious here but it just came as quite interesting thought because she'd be maybe different compared to most Trainer-reps being suggested, if they'd make her actually fight on stage. What you think of her being the next "unexpected rep" for Pokemon-series?

On the subject of 3rd Parties, if you're not believing on popularity playing a major factor on getting as a 3rd rep, then what is? The expections and maybe being "lucky" because Sakurai was involved with you due some events?

I mean, what even is the definition of the popularity that should help the 3rd Party to get in Yuui? Should it necessarily rival Sonic's?
I mean, at the end we have almost no clear idea who could be NB-rep and there's not much demand on them expect from Tekken or Tales Of. And about Pacman being suggested is just because he's just treated as likely, not really "wanted" but just passed as likely. C'mon now, who here really wants Pacman anyway?
We can't though just be excluding Megaman because he won't "ever reach the same popularity as Sonic" and Sonic was thrown in at the last minute due the busy deadline near end of the game's development, which might explain slight hesitance on his inclusion and see if the demand is very huge enough.
Still, Sakurai hasn't completely excluded the chance for 3rd parties at the end anyway, and if he was to only include Namco-reps because "there's not much significant amount of demand for other 3rd parties", he would have just said that already before when speaking about 'em unless he's now trying to set us for a major disappointment in means of 3rd Parties (Super Smash Bros 4! With Namco Bandai's reps! ONLY!!!)
We're gonna get 3rd Parties despite anything, and definitely they all won't be just "Namco-reps". Or are you saying Sakurai takes in fans's demand unseriously?

Popularity might not be always a key but I agree with N3ON that it's the major one. If it brings us together to marvel the inclusion, then it's enough to be considered, especially if it comes to 3rd Parties.
And about Snake's inclusion, it was just an EXCEPTION on his part. He was begged in to be playable. Exceptions aren't likely to happen for twice if they happened before, it's why they are exceptions. Otherwise should we start to think Sakurai being easily manipulated and thus use it as a reason to expect characters like Travis or Crash Bandicoot, if we get to hear "their directors" were involved with Sakurai? I mean, just because "popularity doesn't matter"? And dear God, a Tales Of's co-developer asking, or rather, "begging" for Sakurai to include Lloyd Irving or Cless Albane in Smash. I need to get some brain bleach. (-=____=-);;;

I think we have a good reason to say Megaman's demand can be enough to get him in Smash. He has enough things pushing for him (safe for his recent gaming outcomes with Crapcom), and he even gets some of the directors's approval in one of the interviews when speaking about Street Fighter-reps in Smash Bros. Same for Sakurai thinking a Capcom-rep to be in.

D

Deleted member

@ GY

So uh... Chun Li for SSB4?

I'm ok with that.

Back with the Namco discussion huh? Well, the ideal is KOS-MOS, her movepool is insane and would make for one hell of an awesome character, but it's very unlikely to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CNimXZ-Lc

Maybe if Monolift Soft pulls a few strings with Sakurai....

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
While Mega Man is certainly the most wanted third-party character for Smash 4 (really there is no other third-party characters that are highly requested this time), Mega Man's requests are not on the same level as Sonic's. Sonic was by far the most wanted character in the West after the E3 2006 reveal, and he eclipsed every other Nintendo character for requests.

Mega Man is certainly in the top 4 most wanted newcomers in the West, however, his request volume is on par with Ridley, Mewtwo, and K. Rool, not above it. Mewtwo and Roy are a tier above Mega Man in terms of requests in Japan (though there is no other true newcomer that competes with Mega Man for most requests there besides K. Rool and "maybe" Palutena).

Mega Man is the only high requested third-party character this time, and most likely the only character that has the ability to get in the way Sonic did (through sheer fan demand). If there are additional third-party characters in Smash 4, it will be from developers approaching Sakurai about it with no impetus from fan demand behind it. I have a feeling that for Namco, the temptation to promote their own characters in the highest selling fighting series will prove to be too great and they will (or already have) approached Sakurai about inclusion about various characters (of which Sakurai will make the call whether the various characters Namco suggests would fit in well with the world of Nintendo).

Thinking about it, there really are no other third-party characters out there that have the starpower that Snake and Sonic have (except perhaps Cloud, whose eligiblity is very questionable though). Mega Man is a character that is synonymous with the NES/Famicom, and his heyday was basically over with SNES/Super Famicom generation. Unlike Snake and Sonic, he had (and continues to have) a very strong history with Nintendo though. I personally kind of wish Capcom was making Smash 4 instead of Namco. There are lots of Capcom franchises with deep history with Nintendo franchises, and many of them would probably fit in fine with the rest of the Nintendo cast. Besides Pac-Man, Tekken, and Tales (and possible Soul Calibur), what franchises does Namco have that has characters that would easily lend themselves to fit within Smash Bros. (at least of stuff that's not obscure).

Pac-Man is kind of uninteresting. The Tekken and Soul Calibur cast would not fit in well in with the rest of Nintendo's cast, and there does not really exist an iconic face for those franchises along the lines of Street Fighter's Ryu (and maybe Chun-li). While Tales characters would fit in better, there does not really exist a face for that franchise. For the West, it would probably be Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia still remains by far the most popular Tales game in the West), though a consensus among the Japanese fanbase (where most of the Tales fandom lies), would be far more difficult to reach. Overall, there is no one from Namco that would bring the kind of star power and hype that Sonic and Snake did (or sentimentality that would come with Mega Man).

The only other "huge" third-party character out there is Cloud. However, Square-Enix is so tight with in regards to their characters appearing in other games, that Playstation All-Star's development team was shot down when they asked for a Final Fantasy character (they particularly mentioned that Square-Enix is difficult to negotiate and work with). Cloud also never had a starring role in a game on a Nintendo console. FFVII should have been ported to the DS while the console was still alive (it definitely could have handled the space considering how large DS cards got towards the end of the DS's lifecycle and modern compression techniques), however, that boat has already sailed, and its unlikely that Cloud will ever have an opportunity to make a large debut on a Nintendo console, thus scratching his prospects of ever being added to Smash Bros.

Besides Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, characters from the Mario universe (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi), Miis, and maybe Little Mac there does not exist any more Nintendo characters that are widely known that have not been already been made playable in Smash Bros. Its for this reason that I largely suspect that Sakurai is going for a gameplay overhaul this time around, and why he has made cryptic statements that Brawl's roster is close to the limit of what's feasible in regards to Smash Bros. Combine this also, that Sakurai has gone on the record to say that there is a finite amount of characters that are worthy to enter Smash Bros. as playable characters.

Sakurai has also written several editorials for Famitsu lamenting how developers are too afraid to make bold changes for their franchises, and blames such reluctance to change as one of the primary culprits behind both sales and quality stagnation and decline of many video game franchises. Another example of Sakurai's attitude towards franchise change was his defense of Dragon Quest X, when it was unveiled it would be a MMORPG. He applauded the bravery to do such a profound change, especially considering that a series DQ is well-known for its traditionalism and adherence to old-school RPG design.

Smash 4 will be unlike any other Smash Bros. before it. Heck, already now, for character speculators such as ourselves, we can look to the characters not in and compare that pool to the one we had for Melee and Brawl. There are few important Nintendo characters left to be added in now. I can't speak for others, but for myself, there exists a far smaller anticipation for this Smash Bros. than I possessed when I was looking forward to Melee, Brawl, and even Smash 64. My most wanted newcomer for Smash Bros. ever (Ridley) not being in yet is perhaps the strongest reason I am going to give the Smash Bros. speculation thing one last ride. After Smash 4, I will have no interest at all in Smash 5 and will not follow it.

JPW

Smash Ace
Sonic's popularity was a very big bonus to him getting in.

But there were other factors along with it i believe.

For me what really did was Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. After i saw that going on. I found Sonic to be shoe in for Smash Bros.

peeup

Smash Lord
Food for thought, that interview with Sakurai said he wouldn't mind seeing one or two Capcom characters for the next Smash game. If he's willing to let in more than one Capcom rep, I think Megaman has a very very strong chance of getting in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Food for thought, that interview with Sakurai said he wouldn't mind seeing one or two Capcom characters for the next Smash game. If he's willing to let in more than one Capcom rep, I think Megaman has a very very strong chance of getting in.
Sakurai never said that. I believe Capcom characters were only brought up once with Sakurai and he only gave his usual response in regards to third-parties, "making third-party characters work in Smash Bros. is extremely difficult. There is a divide amongst developers and fans whether such characters should be included to begin with."

Also, I'm going to repost this, since it got lost at the bottom of the previous page:

While Mega Man is certainly the most wanted third-party character for Smash 4 (really there is no other third-party characters that are highly requested this time), Mega Man's requests are not on the same level as Sonic's. Sonic was by far the most wanted character in the West after the E3 2006 reveal, and he eclipsed every other Nintendo character for requests.

Mega Man is certainly in the top 4 most wanted newcomers in the West, however, his request volume is on par with Ridley, Mewtwo, and K. Rool, not above it. Mewtwo and Roy are a tier above Mega Man in terms of requests in Japan (though there is no other true newcomer that competes with Mega Man for most requests there besides K. Rool and "maybe" Palutena).

Mega Man is the only high requested third-party character this time, and most likely the only character that has the ability to get in the way Sonic did (through sheer fan demand). If there are additional third-party characters in Smash 4, it will be from developers approaching Sakurai about it with no impetus from fan demand behind it. I have a feeling that for Namco, the temptation to promote their own characters in the highest selling fighting series will prove to be too great and they will (or already have) approached Sakurai about inclusion about various characters (of which Sakurai will make the call whether the various characters Namco suggests would fit in well with the world of Nintendo).

Thinking about it, there really are no other third-party characters out there that have the starpower that Snake and Sonic have (except perhaps Cloud, whose eligiblity is very questionable though). Mega Man is a character that is synonymous with the NES/Famicom, and his heyday was basically over with SNES/Super Famicom generation. Unlike Snake and Sonic, he had (and continues to have) a very strong history with Nintendo though. I personally kind of wish Capcom was making Smash 4 instead of Namco. There are lots of Capcom franchises with deep history with Nintendo franchises, and many of them would probably fit in fine with the rest of the Nintendo cast. Besides Pac-Man, Tekken, and Tales (and possible Soul Calibur), what franchises does Namco have that has characters that would easily lend themselves to fit within Smash Bros. (at least of stuff that's not obscure).

Pac-Man is kind of uninteresting. The Tekken and Soul Calibur cast would not fit in well in with the rest of Nintendo's cast, and there does not really exist an iconic face for those franchises along the lines of Street Fighter's Ryu (and maybe Chun-li). While Tales characters would fit in better, there does not really exist a face for that franchise. For the West, it would probably be Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia still remains by far the most popular Tales game in the West), though a consensus among the Japanese fanbase (where most of the Tales fandom lies), would be far more difficult to reach. Overall, there is no one from Namco that would bring the kind of star power and hype that Sonic and Snake did (or sentimentality that would come with Mega Man).

The only other "huge" third-party character out there is Cloud. However, Square-Enix is so tight with in regards to their characters appearing in other games, that Playstation All-Star's development team was shot down when they asked for a Final Fantasy character (they particularly mentioned that Square-Enix is difficult to negotiate and work with). Cloud also never had a starring role in a game on a Nintendo console. FFVII should have been ported to the DS while the console was still alive (it definitely could have handled the space considering how large DS cards got towards the end of the DS's lifecycle and modern compression techniques), however, that boat has already sailed, and its unlikely that Cloud will ever have an opportunity to make a large debut on a Nintendo console, thus scratching his prospects of ever being added to Smash Bros.

Besides Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, characters from the Mario universe (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi), Miis, and maybe Little Mac there does not exist any more Nintendo characters that are widely known that have not been already been made playable in Smash Bros. Its for this reason that I largely suspect that Sakurai is going for a gameplay overhaul this time around, and why he has made cryptic statements that Brawl's roster is close to the limit of what's feasible in regards to Smash Bros. Combine this also, that Sakurai has gone on the record to say that there is a finite amount of characters that are worthy to enter Smash Bros. as playable characters.

Sakurai has also written several editorials for Famitsu lamenting how developers are too afraid to make bold changes for their franchises, and blames such reluctance to change as one of the primary culprits behind both sales and quality stagnation and decline of many video game franchises. Another example of Sakurai's attitude towards franchise change was his defense of Dragon Quest X, when it was unveiled it would be a MMORPG. He applauded the bravery to do such a profound change, especially considering that a series DQ is well-known for its traditionalism and adherence to old-school RPG design.

Smash 4 will be unlike any other Smash Bros. before it. Heck, already now, for character speculators such as ourselves, we can look to the characters not in and compare that pool to the one we had for Melee and Brawl. There are few important Nintendo characters left to be added in now. I can't speak for others, but for myself, there exists a far smaller anticipation for this Smash Bros. than I possessed when I was looking forward to Melee, Brawl, and even Smash 64. My most wanted newcomer for Smash Bros. ever (Ridley) not being in yet is perhaps the strongest reason I am going to give the Smash Bros. speculation thing one last ride. After Smash 4, I will have no interest at all in Smash 5 and will not follow it.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Cloud being the only other huge 3rd party character? I think you're forgetting about Banjo-Kazooie, it's near-impossible for him to get in due to Rare being dead/part of Microsoft and he's STILL very highly requested. If there was a realistic possibility for him to make it into the game, I'm sure you'd see a bigger(and louder) demand for him.

Talking about Final Fantasy, what about Kefka? He's by far the most memorable character from FF6, one of the best villains in videogaming and it would certainly be a first to only include a villain of a series.
Perhaps I should make a thread about him, if I can ever be arsed to but that much work into it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Cloud being the only other huge 3rd party character? I think you're forgetting about Banjo-Kazooie, it's near-impossible for him to get in due to Rare being dead/part of Microsoft and he's STILL very highly requested. If there was a realistic possibility for him to make it into the game, I'm sure you'd see a bigger(and louder) demand for him.

Talking about Final Fantasy, what about Kefka? He's by far the most memorable character from FF6, one of the best villains in videogaming and it would certainly be a first to only include a villain of a series.
Perhaps I should make a thread about him, if I can ever be arsed to but that much work into it.
Banjo-Kazooie would have probably been in Brawl had Nintendo owned the IP. However, you have to admit that outside the Nintendo fandom, no one cares about Banjo anymore. Rare being owned by Microsoft means BK is never going to happen in Smash Bros. Heck, even the DKC trilogy was taken down from the Virtual Console, is how aggressive Microsoft is with Rare's games and properties.

As for Kefka, its important to note that while FFVI is probably the second-most popular Final Fantasy in the West, in Japan, its the least popular of the Super Nintendo Final Fantasy games. FFIV is the most popular Final Fantasy on a Nintendo console in Japan. The only two Final Fantasy games more popular than FFIV in Japan are FFVII and FFX.

peeup

Smash Lord
Why is it so hard to get Rare characters in when we already have Donkey Kong? Is it just cause DK was originally Nintendo? Cause I'd love to see Conker in there...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Why is it so hard to get Rare characters in when we already have Donkey Kong? Is it just cause DK was originally Nintendo? Cause I'd love to see Conker in there...
Donkey Kong characters are owned by Nintendo.

Conker, banjo, the cast of Jet Force gemini, cast of Perfect Dark, cast of Killer Instinct, etc. are all owned by Microsoft.

Cloud is a huge 3rd party request? When the hell did that ever happen?
Somehow confusing Playstation All-Stars with Super Smash bros?

Pinkbeast

Smash Rookie
I think it would be cool to add a Team Rocket member, they could have a Machop, Persian, and Crobat. They are going to probably represent newer generations so it would be cool if it was a newer trainer from the other series. I would like different types to be represented though such as ghost, dark or ground types.
that would be pretty cool, but if they did, they would have to have one of them be a meowth (anime FTW):awesome:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
1. Source or this is speculation. Bear in mind that you're claiming that Mega Man is more requested than the likes of Mewtwo, who while not a Newcomer, is still a pretty damn requested character worldwide. Same with Roy.
Also K. Rool for Newcomers, who has heavy support worldwide as well. With such little information, no such claim can be made for anyone. Well, except maybe Mewtwo and Roy, but from a Newcomer sense, it can't.
I should've specified a little more, I wasn't including Mewtwo or Roy, just actual new-to-the-series newcomers. My bad. And when I said that I was including all the demographics of all regions, I wasn't just referring to Smashers, I also meant the average gamer who might not know several characters on the roster, or a casual who maybe only knows a handful of the characters. Megaman really has demand with all these groups more than any other newcomer can claim to have (again, not counting Mewtwo), especially in Japan, where at least on the sites I've checked he is definitely the most requested newcomer (though I defer to Chrono if he says K. Rool gets as many requests - though I personally haven't seen it). However, I don't have any actual source, so take this for what you will.

2. Doesn't matter. Simon Belmont would have had a larger impact than Snake and had more resonance with the fanbase overall for Simon having much greater Nintendo history (the dude was even a main character for Captain N), but Snake is who we got.
So to claim that Pac-Man is more likely for "impact" reasons is flawed.
Except Sakurai wasn't given a choice of any Konami character like he most likely would be for Namco. If he were to have had a hypothetically neutral choice (meaning Kojima wouldn't have even contacted him personally), it is quite possible, I'd even say probable, that Simon, or Bomberman (if he counted as Konami), or someone else would've been chosen over Snake. With Namco Sakurai could very possibly choose any character he wants (in moderation ofc -- obviously he would only pick a well known, at least semi-popular choice), so it would definitely make sense if his first choice was their most popular, most iconic, and face-of-the-company character.

3. Half is not a majority. It's literally dead-even. We have two characters. One was influenced by popularity, the other wasn't. It cannot be claimed that popularity is a key factor for a majority if said majority doesn't exist.
Sorry, again I should've specified (I was very tired and sloppy when I wrote that :embarrass:), I meant popularity would be key for the majority of future 3rd parties, not current ones. In the foreseeable future, really only two 3rd-party characters strike me as possible to get in due to personal friendships or "practically begging": a Namco character other than Pac-Man, and Professor Layton (because Sakurai is good friends with Akihiro Hito), while any other third party in the future of Smash (unless Smash 5 or games after that are developed by a different third-party) would only get in due to popularity.

And Travis Touchdown, I forgot him earlier. So three. Though if Hito and Suda51 haven't asked yet, it is unlikely they'll suddenly switch.

Well, like Chrono already mentioned, this was never said by Sakurai. Perhaps you're confusing his Capcom statement with his statement as to how many more third-parties could be expected after Snake in Brawl (which the answer was one or two). This is the actual Sakurai-Capcom quote:

Cloud is a huge 3rd party request? When the hell did that ever happen?
I don't think Chrono ever said Cloud was hugely requested (though there are a decent amount of people out there who would enjoy seeing him -- more than would admit), just that he is a 3rd party character that is around the same level of general popularity of Sonic, Snake, and Megaman.

Oh dear...

that would be pretty cool, but if they did, they would have to have one of them be a meowth (anime FTW):awesome:
Holy five-month-old-quote Batman!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I dream of playing as Team Rocket in Smash with a :052: :024: team and a :052: :110: team.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Banjo-Kazooie would have probably been in Brawl had Nintendo owned the IP. However, you have to admit that outside the Nintendo fandom, no one cares about Banjo anymore.
I think we're in luck then, because I heard the next Smash game is a Nintendo game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@Chrono: The DKC triology being removed from the Virtual Console to me seems to have nothing to do with Microsoft. Cause after all, even Rare themselves said that IF Nintendo wanted, they could probably make a DKC4 for DS. Thing is, they never did. Diddy Kong Racing DS was made by Rare for example (though they removed Conker and Banjo from it- replaced by Dixie and Tiny Kong) but I read before somewhere it could as well been Banjo Kazooie DS, but Nintendo preffered Diddy Kong Racing ported (probably cause Diddy, unlike Banjo, is still Nintendo-owned).

My hopes to ACTUALLY have King K.Rool in Smash where never too high, but am still hoping for the best. He's supported a lot on the internet, rivalling even the likes of Ridley and Mewtwo. But I don't know if that alone would suffice him being playable. As random as Sakurai is, he could probably add DK Jr (retro style) and Stanley the Bugman as DK-reps and feel the series is well represented. I especially worry about that Bugman guy, cause Sakurai seems gay for retros... :/

It also might lower Dixie's chances a bit. But then again, I always sort of doubted Sakurai would add 3 Kong characters. Unfortunately I can only see her happening if we have full playable alternatives to characters as Dr.Mario, Young / Toon Link (not that I have anything against Toon Link), Bowser Jr. (not that he'd be a clone, but you know, the name) or Robo Cyclops Zero Suit Jigglypuff cause that way it wouldn't appear to be a problem, as Dixie would be unique.

Just my 2cts about Donkey Kong. Again.

Also, remember how badly everyone wanted Ridley in Brawl? And how much Metroid needed a newcomer? We did get one in the end: Zero Suit Samus. Totally unexpected, but well received. Still, Ridley was still missing and I personally don't see him as likely this time around either. Why? Cause some characters being playable in Smash just seems too good to be true. Hell we should be lucky to even have a 'difficult' character to program as Mewtwo back, let alone the challenge they would have with Ridley and K.Rool. I will conclude: I would LOVE to see Ridley and King K.Rool being playable, but I just don't see it as very realistic.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Diddy Kong said:
Also, remember how badly everyone wanted Ridley in Brawl? And how much Metroid needed a newcomer? We did get one in the end: Zero Suit Samus. Totally unexpected, but well received. Still, Ridley was still missing and I personally don't see him as likely this time around either. Why? Cause some characters being playable in Smash just seems too good to be true. Hell we should be lucky to even have a 'difficult' character to program as Mewtwo back, let alone the challenge they would have with Ridley and K.Rool. I will conclude: I would LOVE to see Ridley and King K.Rool being playable, but I just don't see it as very realistic.
Ridley is the most requested character here in the west, which does matter. Zero-Suit Samus was well recieved, but she isn't Ridley. It isn't just a Metroid newcomer most people want. We want Ridley. And, has Sakurai ever said Mewtwo was difficult to program? As a programmer myself, I see no problems with him. Hell, he was probably one of the easier ones to program. His second jump could be taken from Ness, his standard B could be taken from Samus with some changed values, and this is versus someone like Lucario, who most likely took a lot of work with his funky aura hit boxes and the aura mechanic. It's not like they would have to create anything complex like they did with, say, Ice Climbers and the aforementioned Lucario. Ridley and K. Rool could be programmed just the same as any other character. There really isn't such a thing as 'difficult to program' but what it really is, is 'difficult to implement'. Ridley falls into that category, but let's face it. He's a Nintendo All-Star, Sakurai should stop being lazy and just figure something out. He did say it was possible with some work. Well, less newcomers this time. He should be able to put in the effort.

yani

Smash Lord
(they particularly mentioned that Square-Enix is difficult to negotiate and work with).
Do you have a link for this by any chance? I recall reading about it on GAF but I haven't seen a source for it. This could be another nail in the coffin for us Geno fans :c

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Do you have a link for this by any chance? I recall reading about it on GAF but I haven't seen a source for it. This could be another nail in the coffin for us Geno fans :c
Its "off the record" due to the fact that Playstation All-Star's development team has NDAs in regards to their negotiations for third-party characters. Someone asked Seth Killian whether they ever approached Square-Enix to include one of their characters and they pretty much said they can't discuss whether they did due to NDAs. However, there was supposedly someone lower on the chain that pretty much admitted Square-Enix is difficult to work with.

Heck, both Capcom and Konami wanted characters in that would promote their upcoming games than more "classic" characters. DmC Dante was the one that got in (and Capcom would not even allow a "classic" Dante costume) and Raiden was allowed over Snake (most likely due to the upcoming Metal Gear Rising).

If Capcom is this pushy in regards to third-party characters, then it could prove to be quite the obstacle for Mega Man. However, Mega Man is still by far the most likely third-party newcomer.

I'm really curious what is going to happen with third-party characters this time though, especially considering that a major third-party company is developing Smash 4. As I mentioned earlier, I think Namco is going to approach Sakurai about the inclusion of several of their characters, and it will be up to Sakurai from that point. I don't think any of Namco's characters are particularly attractive for Smash Bros.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I would hope that the only Namco-Bandai character Sakurai would ever tolerate would be Pac-Man. Miyamoto loves him, gaming culture loves him, and he's the only appealing character for Smash from their lineup in my opinion.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm starting to think that Pac-man may not the definitive choice like some people would claim. Iconic status or not, Namco is probably going to stick with Tekken or Tales primarily if interviews are anything to go by.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm starting to think that Pac-man may not the definitive choice like some people would claim.
I think so too. Pac-Man really brings nothing to the table for Namco in terms of promotion. Also, there is the fact that when the topic of Namco characters is ever brought up with Namco they either mention Tekken or Tales of (which are Namco's two biggest series). As I mentioned earlier, the problem with both of these series is that there is no iconic characters from these series that most of the Nintendo fanbase would be aware of, and generally no "face" for these two franchises, which thus, would probably make many Smash Bros. fans feel characters included from those franchises would be a waste of a spot.

Really, the only third-party newcomer that's needed is Mega Man.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: I think Capcom has a different light in regards to adding characters in Smash Bros. There wasn't really any reason to expect Mega Man in PlayStation All-Stars whereas with Smash Bros. 4, Capcom has expressed interest in Mega Man (and it doesn't look like anyone else they would want instead). If a Capcom character were to be added in Smash, it would be Mega Man.

Also, in regards to a third-party getting in due to the company wanting a character, would you say that Layton has a shot of getting in? The president of Level-5/creator of the Professor Layton series and Sakurai looks to be friends and the president did say he wanted Layton in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@ChronoBound: I think Capcom has a different light in regards to adding characters in Smash Bros. There wasn't really any reason to expect Mega Man in PlayStation All-Stars whereas with Smash Bros. 4, Capcom has expressed interest in Mega Man (and it doesn't look like anyone else they would want instead). If a Capcom character were to be added in Smash, it would be Mega Man.
The development team behind Sony All-Stars had no reason to ask for Mega Man to begin with, considering that Mega Man (especially classic) has little history with the PlayStation brand. Other Capcom properties such as Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and Street Fighter all have far more history with the PlayStation brand than Mega Man. Devil May Cry was one of the most popular new franchises introduced on the PS2 and all three of the DMC games were exclusive to PS2 (with the possible exception of PC ports). However, when people think of Dante they don't think of DmC's Dante, they think of the Dante from the PS2 era. That Capcom would go as far as to deny that team to even implement "classic" Dante as an alternate costume shows that Capcom could be quite stringent in regards to their characters.

An example of this sort of control being applied to Mega Man would be that if Capcom allows Nintendo to have Mega Man in Smash Bros., they only allow them to use a new design they made up for him, and not the classic design synonymous with the classic Mega Man series. While Mega Man would still be implemented, it would not be the classic Mega Man, but rather an advertisement for a new upcoming Mega Man series.

That is the obstacle I was talking about in regards to Mega Man's inclusion when I brought up Capcom's demands in regards to Dante's inclusion in PlayStation All-Stars.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Technically Mega Man isn't needed, but is wanted. We can all agree on the fact that such a character is highly deserving more so then a handful of characters that are thrown out there these days, but of course the next generation of Smash Bros. can do fine without him. After all, it's just one character among say 50 or so. Though at the same time the character would be a very welcome bonus overall.

By bonus, I'm referring to the fanservice that would probably be used in context. Knowing how each series is represented in the Super Smash Bros., I wouldn't be surprised if the Mega Man universe established would primarily focus on the classic Mega Man series with some small references to the sub-series games like Mega Man X, Mega Man Legends, and Mega Man Battle Network. The character Mega Man would be kind of a hybrid of varies characteristics established by Mega Man and the varies counterparts throughout the series, plus some inspiration from Marvel vs. Capcom.

Also some more subtle references here and there, like Snake's smash taunt making a reference to Mega Man's nickname "The Blue Bomber" or Pit's hypothetical smash taunt making a subtle reference to Captain N.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: Makes sense. I don't think they'll go down that route, although at this point, I'd rather have any Mega Man in the game as playable.

@Habanero: I'm going to have to agree here in that no potential newcomer is needed. One character is not going to significantly affect sales (although if a majority of the highly wanted characters ends up missing, that can put a dent on sales).

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
In regards to a Namco character, I'm saying Pac-Man is the definitive choice as for what would make sense for Smash Bros. Sure, NB would love a Tekken or Tales character to be in Smash Bros. to promote those series, but of their franchises, not one is as well known to both gamers and non-gamers as Pac-Man. The property is just everywhere. Plus, the style of that universe matches well with those of Nintendo, at least better than Tekken.

I'm not saying I'm championing Pac-Man as a playable character, I'm just saying that I'll eat my hat if Sakurai finds a Tales or Tekken character more suitable for Smash Bros. if he decides to let a NB character in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its still a very long wait until we get any more significant Smash Bros. information (particularly trailer with newcomers). E3 2013 is in mid-June, and that's seven months away. To keep that amount of time in mind, its about the same length of time from Melee's unveil at E3 2001 to its North American release.

Its absurd that Smash Bros. 4 was announced 1.5 years ago, and there is still very little information about it. The only information we got about it this year was that Namco is developing it.

D

Deleted member

On the subject of 3rd Parties, if you're not believing on popularity playing a major factor on getting as a 3rd rep, then what is? The expections and maybe being "lucky" because Sakurai was involved with you due some events?
It can't be claimed as a major factor when it only applies to one out of two guests.

I mean, what even is the definition of the popularity that should help the 3rd Party to get in Yuui? Should it necessarily rival Sonic's?
Yes, because it is what got Sonic in. If Sonic had not been the most requested character in general (not just 3rd Parties), Snake would have been the only guest. Then what? What possible excuse can be made for guests then?

I mean, at the end we have almost no clear idea who could be NB-rep and there's not much demand on them expect from Tekken or Tales Of. And about Pacman being suggested is just because he's just treated as likely, not really "wanted" but just passed as likely. C'mon now, who here really wants Pacman anyway?
That may be so, but Snake was not in high demand either, yet still got in because his creator wanted him in. It isn't so strange to expect the same for a co-developer.

We can't though just be excluding Megaman because he won't "ever reach the same popularity as Sonic" and Sonic was thrown in at the last minute due the busy deadline near end of the game's development, which might explain slight hesitance on his inclusion and see if the demand is very huge enough.
Not exclude him persay, but rather, understand that he isn't a lock as people claim him to be given the circumstances regarding Sonic.

Still, Sakurai hasn't completely excluded the chance for 3rd parties at the end anyway, and if he was to only include Namco-reps because "there's not much significant amount of demand for other 3rd parties", he would have just said that already before when speaking about 'em unless he's now trying to set us for a major disappointment in means of 3rd Parties (Super Smash Bros 4! With Namco Bandai's reps! ONLY!!!)
Just because it hasn't been excluded doesn't mean it's for sure going to happen again. And as long as Snake and Sonic remain it won't be "Namco Bandai reps only". Despite being veterans they are still guests and are counted as such.
Also, bear in mind that Sakurai stated there would be 2-3 guests at most in Brawl not including Snake (as in, 3-4 guests total). We only got 1; Sonic. So don't make the same mistake in hyping guests out.

We're gonna get 3rd Parties despite anything, and definitely they all won't be just "Namco-reps". Or are you saying Sakurai takes in fans's demand unseriously?
Again, :snake: and :sonic: are unlikely to go anywhere, and they are not NB.
And really, you need to understand how insignificant this 3rd Party issue is;
Smash is a Nintendo All-Stars game. Having guests at all is already breaking away from what Smash is about. Snake was to be the sole exception, due to Kojima "practically begging" for his inclusion in Melee.
Sonic became a 2nd exception due to being the most requested character for Brawl, and only then, he was the last character added to the roster list about 2 years after it had been "set".

And you think that Mega Man's demand is going to help him? It didn't help him for Brawl, and that was when Inafune was still with Capcom and was very willing to have him in the game if Sakurai contacted him. And there are plenty of examples of fan demand for characters that did not get in.
In Brawl, before any new character after Snake was shown, the top requests were among Sonic, Ridley, Diddy Kong, Mega Man, Geno, Krystal, an AC Character (be it a player or Tom Nook), King Dedede and Isaac.
Only Sonic, Dedede, and Diddy of them made it. And we got plenty of characters that weren't so requested in comparison, like Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, R.O.B., Wolf, etc.
The point of that is that not ALL fan demanded characters will make it. And the edge for those more likely would be ones that are Nintendo owned, especially when newer characters are not as big of a priority this time around.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Mega Man has no chance. What I'm saying is that people treat him as a lock and the definite new guest for very flawed reasons.

Popularity might not be always a key but I agree with N3ON that it's the major one. If it brings us together to marvel the inclusion, then it's enough to be considered, especially if it comes to 3rd Parties.
"If it brings us together to marvel the inclusion"? Do you really think that hippie bullroar means a lick of anything to Sakurai? And really, how can anyone make any sort of judgement on whether it's major or not when it only applies to one out of two guests that are in Smash?
And about Snake's inclusion, it was just an EXCEPTION on his part. He was begged in to be playable. Exceptions aren't likely to happen for twice if they happened before, it's why they are exceptions. Otherwise should we start to think Sakurai being easily manipulated and thus use it as a reason to expect characters like Travis or Crash Bandicoot, if we get to hear "their directors" were involved with Sakurai?
Until we actually get more guests for fan demand, you cannot claim that Snake is the exception. If anything, the fact that Snake was initially planned for the game while Sonic was not shows otherwise.
But aside from that, if any other company was working on Smash 4 instead of Namco, one of it's key people was the co-developer alongside Sakurai, and they wanted to see a character of theirs in, then yes, I would expect that character would get in. It's not any sort of "manipulation" (nice use of trying to make it seem evil), but rather opportunity that can be taken. Like it isn't manipulation from the fans when they demand characters and expect Sakurai to add them just because they are "so demanded"?

I mean, just because "popularity doesn't matter"? And dear God, a Tales Of's co-developer asking, or rather, "begging" for Sakurai to include Lloyd Irving or Cless Albane in Smash. I need to get some brain bleach. (-=____=-);;;
Oh, I see what the real issue is now. Just because you DON'T WANT a Tales character in Smash, it makes it illogical to see one. -_- Stop being biased if you want me to take you seriously now. I honestly don't give a flying one about Mega Man or Tales, but it's more logical to see a Tales character getting in than not.

I think we have a good reason to say Megaman's demand can be enough to get him in Smash. He has enough things pushing for him (safe for his recent gaming outcomes with Crapcom), and he even gets some of the directors's approval in one of the interviews when speaking about Street Fighter-reps in Smash Bros. Same for Sakurai thinking a Capcom-rep to be in.
Saying that it is not outside the realm of possiblity for a character from Capcom to get in does not mean what you think it means. Sakurai is saying that is CAN happen; not that it WILL happen.
Also, it's already known that Capcom is fine with Mega Man in Smash outside of the Street Fighter developer (as if his approval means anything for his chances). However, they ARE NOT pushing for him. Paraphrasing what they have said, "the ball is in Sakurai's court, as it's his game, not ours". So they are waiting for Sakurai to contact them like they did in Brawl, and you saw how well THAT turned out. :rolleyes:

I should've specified a little more, I wasn't including Mewtwo or Roy, just actual new-to-the-series newcomers. My bad. And when I said that I was including all the demographics of all regions, I wasn't just referring to Smashers, I also meant the average gamer who might not know several characters on the roster, or a casual who maybe only knows a handful of the characters. Megaman really has demand with all these groups more than any other newcomer can claim to have (again, not counting Mewtwo), especially in Japan, where at least on the sites I've checked he is definitely the most requested newcomer (though I defer to Chrono if he says K. Rool gets as many requests - though I personally haven't seen it). However, I don't have any actual source, so take this for what you will.
Except that the average casual gamer may not even play Smash Bros. enough to actually DEMAND for a character like what was done for Sonic.
Mega Man having popularity within his own fanbase for example may not apply to him being in Smash.

Except Sakurai wasn't given a choice of any Konami character like he most likely would be for Namco. If he were to have had a hypothetically neutral choice (meaning Kojima wouldn't have even contacted him personally), it is quite possible, I'd even say probable, that Simon, or Bomberman (if he counted as Konami), or someone else would've been chosen over Snake. With Namco Sakurai could very possibly choose any character he wants (in moderation ofc -- obviously he would only pick a well known, at least semi-popular choice), so it would definitely make sense if his first choice was their most popular, most iconic, and face-of-the-company character.
How would you know for sure whether or not his first choice would be Pac-Man, though? With Yoshi-to being a co-developer, he could theoretically make negotiations with him in terms of the Namco character if he even chooses to do one. Or, if Yoshi-to were to bring up the Tales character issue (or Harada with the Tekken character issue, though Yoshi-to would have more of a leg to stand on), who's to say that Sakurai won't just consider their ideas? After all, like GameFreak, Namco would have a bit more say on their characters, even if final decision rests on Sakurai. In which case it'd be the "my way or the highway" mentality, in which either it's the character Sakurai wants or no character at all. Though he doesn't seem to be the type to pull that sort of gambit.

Sorry, again I should've specified (I was very tired and sloppy when I wrote that :embarrass:), I meant popularity would be key for the majority of future 3rd parties, not current ones. In the foreseeable future, really only two 3rd-party characters strike me as possible to get in due to personal friendships or "practically begging": a Namco character other than Pac-Man, and Professor Layton (because Sakurai is good friends with Akihiro Hito), while any other third party in the future of Smash (unless Smash 5 or games after that are developed by a different third-party) would only get in due to popularity.

And Travis Touchdown, I forgot him earlier. So three. Though if Hito and Suda51 haven't asked yet, it is unlikely they'll suddenly switch.

There is no "would be" until there is actual confirmation of it happening that way, since we don't even know if we're even GETTING new guests.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I
In Brawl, before any new character after Snake was shown, the top requests were among Sonic, Ridley, Diddy Kong, Mega Man, Geno, Krystal, an AC Character (be it a player or Tom Nook), King Dedede and Isaac.
Only Sonic, Dedede, and Diddy of them made it. And we got plenty of characters that weren't so requested in comparison, like Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, R.O.B., Wolf, etc.
The point of that is that not ALL fan demanded characters will make it. And the edge for those more likely would be ones that are Nintendo owned, especially when newer characters are not as big of a priority this time around.
Wolf was as requested as Krystal was (if not slightly more so), its just that Krystal's fanbase was much louder. Olimar was also the most wanted "new series" newcomer for Brawl after the unveil. He was more wanted than Isaac, Little Mac, and Ray (Custom Robo).

Most of the Brawl's newcomers were characters that were popularly requested. The only exceptions were Snake, Zero Suit Samus, Pokemon Trainer, and ROB. Everyone else that was added as a newcomer were amongst the most requested characters for Brawl.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure for the longest time Olimar was deemed as "impossible" due to not being able to figure out how he would use his Pikmin.

As for Wolf, I'm pretty sure that while he was a more popular character in the StarFox sense, Krystal was the more popular choice for Smash due to belief that she wouldn't be a clone like Falco and that Wolf would just be another clone.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure for the longest time Olimar was deemed as "impossible" due to not being able to figure out how he would use his Pikmin.

As for Wolf, I'm pretty sure that while he was a more popular character in the StarFox sense, Krystal was the more popular choice for Smash due to belief that she wouldn't be a clone like Falco and that Wolf would just be another clone.
No. I never noticed any of those two things, and I was deeply involved with speculation.

Wolf was about equal with Krystal for requests in the West, but Wolf was by far the most wanted Star Fox character in Japan, where he was even one of the most wanted characters. The same goes for Toon Link (who was known as "Cat Eyes Link" in Japan).

Krystal fans became emboldened and Wolf fans became demoralized when:
1. Krystal's voice actress said she was doing voice work for Brawl.
2. Fox had a dark-colored alternate costume (which some said made him look like Wolf).

It was those two factors that made Krystal seem like the most likely Star Fox newcomer towards the twilight of the Brawl speculation period.

Both Wolf and Toon Link were attacked by Krystal and Midna supporters for being "clone material" and thus the reason why they would not get in (their reasoning would be that Sakurai would choose someone radically different as opposed to characters with similarities to characters already on the roster). They were only half-right, as well it is known that if anything their clone-ability is what made Sakurai pick them (as well as being the favorites for the newcomers for those two respective series when factoring in Japanese requests).

Wolf is not even a clone. He is only five moves away from being a completely unique character (the four specials and final smash). Toon Link seems to be the only Melee-style clone that was added to Brawl.

As for Olimar, while there were some arguments like that against him, the consensus was that he was the most likely "new series" character to be added and was generally the character that seemed to have the most requests of possible "newcomer" series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom