• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Seeing as Namco has said they don't want to put their characters in, I find less likely than you think.
Technically you're partially wrong.

Yoshito Higuchi of Tales fame actually would love to see someone out of Tales in Super Smash Bros (Llyod from Tales of Symphonia being an example), though still states that it's up to Sakurai on the final word.

Katsuhiro Harada however is more reserved on the idea of Tekken characters, stating that characters from the series might clash with the general tone of Super Smash Bros. and fans of the series wouldn't like it. In general he's keeping the idea silent for now, but also states that Sakurai gets the final word regardless.

Every other franchise owned by Namco is ambiguous at the moment.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
New Metroid and DK-game coming, woots! Also MGS still keeps on with Nintendo. Wait, FF3 though?!
I'm a bit scared for a new Metroid game. If it turns out as bad as Other M, it might be the last we'll see of the series in a long long time. They already ignored Metroid's 25th anniversary which would've been a great opportunity to popularize it.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Technically you're partially right.

Yoshito Higuchi of Tales fame actually would love to see someone out of Tales in Super Smash Bros (Llyod from Tales of Symphonia being an example), though still states that it's up to Sakurai on the final word.

Katsuhiro Harada however is more reserved on the idea of Tekken characters, stating that characters from the series might clash with the general tone of Super Smash Bros. and fans of the series wouldn't like it. In general he's keeping the idea silent for now, and also states that Sakurai gets the final word regardless.

Every other franchise owned by Namco is ambiguous at the moment.
Basically, it's not as such as some people like to think.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Seeing as that's not what has been said, I find it more likely than you think.
1)Your late
2)Out of the whole two responses, one said no and the other said "that's cool." Seeing as Sakurai is in the same office, it's not hard to go over there and ask the guy.
His response would have also been different if Sakruai was adding the character.

D

Deleted member

1) Harada didn't actually say "no". Just that he was unsure whether or not Smash fans would really want a Tekken character or not, so he's pulling back a bit on the idea, though he doesn't know.

This isn't a straight up disconfirmation until he fully decides not to go with the idea at all, as he's still thinking about the idea in full. If anything, he's probably using Tag Team Tournament 2 Wii U Edition as a testing ground with the costumes.

2) Yoshi-to actually has said nothing about it rather than he'd love to see a Tales character in the game. It was Yoshizumi stated that if they were to beg it could happen, though final decision falls on Sakurai.

That is also not any sort of disconfirmation. It's not a confirmation either, but it means that it's still up there and it could very well happen.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm a bit scared for a new Metroid game. If it turns out as bad as Other M, it might be the last we'll see of the series in a long long time. They already ignored Metroid's 25th anniversary which would've been a great opportunity to popularize it.
I thought Other M itself would be the last we'd see of the series in that long, to be honest. As for the 25th anniversary, they didn't really bother to prioritize doing something for it either because of how badly the last game did and thus thought it wasn't worth the trouble, or because of the series not being one of Miyamoto's babies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hear a new Donkey Kong game got announched? Hopefully it's not a sequel to Jungle Beat...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Jungle Beat wasn't that bad. It had sweet gimmick which was actually pretty deep. (-l<l-)

Well it's all to who's developing it, Nintendo EAD team or Retro Studios again.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I hear a new Donkey Kong game got announched? Hopefully it's not a sequel to Jungle Beat...
No official announcement yet, all that happened was a list of games (most of which were unannounced so far) for Wii U was found on the debug menu, with Donkey Kong being one of the series listed. This doesn't necessarily guarantee a "new" DK game, but I'd say it was pretty likely, however it might still be a wait until any actual confirmation.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I thought Other M itself would be the last we'd see of the series in that long, to be honest. As for the 25th anniversary, they didn't really bother to prioritize doing something for it either because of how badly the last game did and thus thought it wasn't worth the trouble, or because of the series not being one of Miyamoto's babies.
It was one of Gunpei Yokoi's babies, who was also very instrumental to Nintendo's success. Without him, it would have been unlikely that Nintendo ever got into videogames.

Oh btw, Retro Studios aren't the ones working on the new DK game, I think they might be working on a new IP.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
1) Harada didn't actually say "no". Just that he was unsure whether or not Smash fans would really want a Tekken character or not, so he's pulling back a bit on the idea, though he doesn't know.

This isn't a straight up disconfirmation until he fully decides not to go with the idea at all, as he's still thinking about the idea in full. If anything, he's probably using Tag Team Tournament 2 Wii U Edition as a testing ground with the costumes.

2) Yoshi-to actually has said nothing about it rather than he'd love to see a Tales character in the game. It was Yoshizumi stated that if they were to beg it could happen, though final decision falls on Sakurai.

That is also not any sort of disconfirmation. It's not a confirmation either, but it means that it's still up there and it could very well happen.
What it is is a sign hat people shouldn't assume there will be a Namco character just because they are working on it.

Fun fact: when asked, almost everyone says they'd love to see their character in. Was the same with the guys who made Travis Touchdown and Professor Layton (think it was the president of Level-5). One out right says probably not while the other one says "that would be cool." Basically, it's not a sure thing.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I still think that if any Namco character is in, it'll be Pac-Man. I mean, he fits all of the criteria:

A) Iconic VG character (Pac-Man is possibly the only character who can rival Mario in iconicness)
B) Fits the semi-cartoony art style
C) Is a very clear "mascot"

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It was one of Gunpei Yokoi's babies, who was also very instrumental to Nintendo's success. Without him, it would have been unlikely that Nintendo ever got into videogames.

Oh btw, Retro Studios aren't the ones working on the new DK game, I think they might be working on a new IP.
True. He invented the first Game Boy and stuff from what I remember, aside from his involvement in the first three Metroid titles. He intended Super Metroid to be the last game of the series though, which didn't sit well with a number of people at the time, though with that being the intention, you can tell he, Sakamoto, and the team really went all out with Super, as good and successful as it was and still being one of the best 'legacy' games we have today. Metroid stopped being affiliated with Gunpei when Prime/Fusion came out in 2002 though.

Good as Retro Studios may have been with the Primes, I think perhaps Nintendo needs to stop, or at least reduce letting Metroid be the experimental guinea pig for any 3rd party to develop the next new game(s) and see how it turns out; that's what got us Team Ninja.

And there's no telling what Retro's working on right now still, though it must be something big for its revealing to have been withheld from this year's E3.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
And there's no telling what Retro's working on right now still, though it must be something big for its revealing to have been withheld from this year's E3.
Well, they've said it wasn't a DK title and they're not working with any of the Metroid people so that seems unlikely. The rest of the big franchises have their own developer group within Nintendo (enless maybe F-Zero?) and Retro Studios have been doing an amazing job with the franchises that have been given to them.
It really wouldn't surprise me if they were working on their own IP for Nintendo, which might be why Miyamoto has been helping them(and give his stamp of approval). Nintendo are long overdue to make a new IP and it would be interesting to see it come from a western developer.

Pinkbeast

Smash Rookie
just an idea, don't know if anyone else was thinkin this, but bulbasaur would be an amazing addition, all by himself, any input?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But those IPs don't count! Only the IPs that were created by Miyamoto count! :troll:

Personally, I would love to see Mallo (the protagonist from Pushmo and Crashmo) in Smash. I think it would be awesome to have a sumo wrestler in Smash! :awesome:

D

Deleted member

I don't think Habanero's point was that new series can be made into playable characters so much as to show that Nintendo does continue to make new series, just on a mostly smaller scale and not how people envision a new series (most fans look at big titles, not smaller ones).

peeup

Smash Lord
Question: Does Sakurai ever check these boards? Like does he see all the discussions we're having? It would be kinda stupid for him to not check the biggest smash community to see what we want.

D

Deleted member

Yes, a Japanese man who cares less about competitive Smash looks at an English board for competitive Smash. :rolleyes:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Random thought: The more I think about it, the more I realize Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess aren't as memorable a Zelda game in comparison to the average Zelda game. For some reason, even though I thought Phantom Hourglass wasn't as good as those games (or anywhere near as long), it seems to "stick with me" a lot better.
Yes, a Japanese man who cares less about competitive Smash looks at an English board for competitive Smash. :rolleyes:
Nintendo with Brawl had "scouts" who check the boards for ideas. You can see some of the things spotted out specifically by smashboards members only in the Brawl demos were changed, removed, or altered (specifically the returning Melee ATs and competitive balance). I don't know how, but Game Arts took everything backwards, and probably made the game worse. Seriously, legitimate offense in that game EXISTED! :laugh: To be fair to Sakurai, he did do final balancing on Brawl himself. He probably did the same thing with Melee, and possibly the same thing with Smash 64.

Seeing as how this is the biggest site in the world dedicated to smash bros, it wouldn't be shocking to assume they have skimmed some brief ideas. Still, most things, such as newcomers, Namco characters (specifically Pac-Man), Mega Man, the Brawl playable characters, cut characters (especially Mewtwo), items, stages, locations, games, story mode, etc. are pretty obvious, and most of those the general public (whether on a national or international scale) have been established (mostly near universally).
If it had said Kingdom Hearts 3 instead, I just might've died.
:awesome:
If by "Kingdom Hearts 3" you meant "Marvel vs. Lucas Films," I would died too. After all, who doesn't want to see Spider-Man face Darth Vader, Yoda fight the Hulk, Darth Maul tango with Iron Man, Indiana Jones tangle with Captain America, or watch Uncle Ben and Uncle Owen get killed off again=??? :awesome:

D

Deleted member

I don't think Habanero's point was that new series can be made into playable characters so much as to show that Nintendo does continue to make new series, just on a mostly smaller scale and not how people envision a new series (most fans look at big titles, not smaller ones).
Also, the game's popular reception has a lot to do with it, a company can invest a lot in a new IP but if the concept flops, it's a bad investment. New IP's are risky, thats why Nintendo only does small projects to see how they fare with the general populous. If it's well received, then you will likely see a sequel, otherwise, it'll most likely stay a one-hit wonder, or obscure.

Question: Does Sakurai ever check these boards? Like does he see all the discussions we're having? It would be kinda stupid for him to not check the biggest smash community to see what we want.
Sakurai himself??

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd be surprised to if he even knew English well enough to come here. Not many people in Japan have a strong hold on English, at least not based on what I've heard.

As for scouts, marketeers and the like. It's not uncommon for such people to visit popular boards to both gather ideas, poll reception, and promote games. We see some on /v/ from time to time. In fact, I think there are archived threads of /v/ trolling the **** out of Activision marketeers.

Random thought: The more I think about it, the more I realize Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess aren't as memorable a Zelda game in comparison to the average Zelda game. For some reason, even though I thought Phantom Hourglass wasn't as good as those games (or anywhere near as long), it seems to "stick with me" a lot better.
All of PH minus the final boss is nothing but a blur to me, same for Spirit Tracks, all I remember about ST was what a terrible concept it was, and how annoyingly slow the train **** was.

TP wasn't bad though, I liked it, thought it went by too fast after the Temple of Time. Haven't played SS yet. The Zelda games that really Stick to me are: Majora's Mask, LttP, Minish Cap, and Wind Waker.

Nintendo with Brawl had "scouts" who check the boards for ideas. You can see some of the things spotted out specifically by smashboards members only in the Brawl demos were changed, removed, or altered (specifically the returning Melee ATs and competitive balance). I don't know how, but Game Arts took everything backwards, and probably made the game worse. Seriously, legitimate offense in that game EXISTED! :laugh: To be fair to Sakurai, he did do final balancing on Brawl himself. He probably did the same thing with Melee, and possibly the same thing with Smash 64.

Seeing as how this is the biggest site in the world dedicated to smash bros, it wouldn't be shocking to assume they have skimmed some brief ideas. Still, most things, such as newcomers, Namco characters (specifically Pac-Man), Mega Man, the Brawl playable characters, cut characters (especially Mewtwo), items, stages, locations, games, story mode, etc. are pretty obvious, and most of those the general public (whether on a national or international scale) have been established (mostly near universally).

I agree, the Pokemon Trainer idea was posted on here and was fairly popular, only to see it announced on Smash Dojo prior to game release, that pretty much confirmed that Nintendo had people scouting forums for ideas and the like.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The fact Pushmo and Fossil Fighters each got a sequel pretty much tells me they sold enough and were fairly popular to warrant a sequel. I would be happy with a T- Rex Vivosaur Assist Trophy and a Pushmo/Crashmo stage.

:phone:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
The fact Pushmo and Fossil Fighters each got a sequel pretty much tells me they sold enough and were fairly popular to warrant a sequel. I would be happy with a T- Rex Vivosaur Assist Trophy and a Pushmo/Crashmo stage.

:phone:
dude a Pushmo stage would be awesome. and yeah i can definitely see T Rex getting an assist trophy or something.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
--image snip--

Wish granted.
Xenosaga existed before Monolith was part of Nintendo, Cpt. Rainbow was Japan only, Pandora's Tower is made for Nintendo but not by the company itself, Art of the Sword and Rolling Western seem like "indie"-titles that got help from Nintendo, they were only released on the eShop. You got me on Fossil Fighters, still waiting on something bigger for the homeconsole though.

yani

Smash Lord
Xenosaga existed before Monolith was part of Nintendo, Cpt. Rainbow was Japan only, Pandora's Tower is made for Nintendo but not by the company itself, Art of the Sword and Rolling Western seem like "indie"-titles that got help from Nintendo, they were only released on the eShop. You got me on Fossil Fighters, still waiting on something bigger for the homeconsole though.
Xenoblade isn't a part of the Xenosaga franchise.
Art of the Sword and Rolling Western are in fact Nintendo's own eShop titles (as well as Pushmo/Crashmo)

I don't believe Pandora's Tower is owned by Nintendo though. If someone has a source to prove me wrong feel free to share :bee:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't believe Pandora's Tower is owned by Nintendo though. If someone has a source to prove me wrong feel free to share :bee:
Developed by Ganbarion, but published by Nintendo, so I think that means Nintendo owns it. Edit: Actually, if any of the OPRainfall games could be considered not owned by Nintendo, it would be The Last Story, since that one was published by XSEED here in NA.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well better keep those ideas and discussion coming incase these guys seriously do check "our ideas." I thought Sega was the only generous company to even listen to it's fans while Nintendo doesn't even give a **** about em.

And I'd be all for Pushmo-stage. But I think there's a point been made with the fact that Xenoblade (or Fossil Fighters) seem only major Nintendo IPs that were created after Brawl in means of accessibility and whatnot. I mean one being able to play Pushmo after 3DS is dead for checking the series due Smash? I bet it'd be bit difficult.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
All of PH minus the final boss is nothing but a blur to me, same for Spirit Tracks, all I remember about ST was what a terrible concept it was, and how annoyingly slow the train **** was.

TP wasn't bad though, I liked it, thought it went by too fast after the Temple of Time. Haven't played SS yet. The Zelda games that really Stick to me are: Majora's Mask, LttP, Minish Cap, and Wind Waker.
What sticks out to me with Phantom Hourglass was the humor (like Wind Waker, it worked like a solid anime/manga parody). What stuck out for both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks was the animation style, the interesting approaches to things, and the unique ways to solve dungeons. As for Twilight Princess, I just think it tried too hard to be Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time definitely tried to capture the grandeur of A Link to the Past (which is probably the most "complete" Zelda game), but, somewhere in the process, it clearly became its' own game. Majora's Mask and the Wind Waker took the "style" of Ocarina of Time, and similarly, came away as their own games.

Also, the Minish Cap is criminally underrated. It's too bad that game was as short as it was. I felt that if it was longer (maybe with a "twist" at the final boss) the game could have been one of the best Zelda games ever. If you ask me, a potential 3DS Zelda game should get the most "inspiration" from the Minish Cap and Link's Awakening... after A Link to the Past and the original Legend of Zelda, of course. Obviously the positive elements from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks should remain or be inspirations as well.
I agree, the Pokemon Trainer idea was posted on here and was fairly popular, only to see it announced on Smash Dojo prior to game release, that pretty much confirmed that Nintendo had people scouting forums for ideas and the like.
Nah, Sakurai had that idea most likely well before Brawl was even announced. He said he thought Charizard would make a great playable character; he just needed an avenue to make it possible. Also, I remember reading that idea, and it wasn't nearly as well thought or planned as Sakurai's. The 3 people vouching for it I doubt thought that level of depth and thought could be put into such a system, and yet, remain so simple, a child could understand it without any difficulty.

D

Deleted member

Also, Sakurai supposedly considered the idea for Melee, but with the Johto starters instead.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well better keep those ideas and discussion coming incase these guys seriously do check "our ideas." I thought Sega was the only generous company to even listen to it's fans while Nintendo doesn't even give a **** about em.

And I'd be all for Pushmo-stage. But I think there's a point been made with the fact that Xenoblade (or Fossil Fighters) seem only major Nintendo IPs that were created after Brawl in means of accessibility and whatnot. I mean one being able to play Pushmo after 3DS is dead for checking the series due Smash? I bet it'd be bit difficult.
At this point I'm willing to lay down cash that Shulk is going to not only be playable in the next game, but will be one of the first new characters revealed. Pushmo, I know nothing about. Might be a great way to represent the Nintendo puzzle genre by having tracks from Tetris Attack, Dr. Mario and the Art Style series.

Doesn't mean someone from NoA hasn't taken a peek or two at these boards. Not that it will really affect much if the information isn't relayed to Japan, but maybe between breaks somebody looks for kicks and giggles.

D

Deleted member

I know that, but someone was saying Sakurai HIMSELF, which I was mocking.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I know that, but someone was saying Sakurai HIMSELF, which I was mocking.
Just throwing in my two cents.

Although I have not seen it directly, I know by the results of some events that Nintendo does monitor some of these boards to a very loose degree. To which I say hi random intern. If you get a chance, send some of my stage concepts off to Sakurai and co. in Japan. Don't worry about legalities, I won't sue.

In all seriousness though, at least on sites like GoNintendo and GAF I know there are users who are either directly or indirectly affiliated with Nintendo. On several occasions recently, such as the Wii U debug menu scandal on GAF, Nintendo does take notice. Does that mean they are going to drive their business decisions because MarioLover674 decides Bowser. Jr deserves to be playable in the next game? Of course not. You're in the wrong hemisphere for one thing; secondly, business is not driven directly by the whims of the consumer. I know you probably know all this already Golden, but I'm speaking to clarify myself, more so with others, so as to not leave what I'm saying too open ended. If you get me?

Pinkbeast

Smash Rookie
just to be random, any opinions on clefairy joining as a... counterpart to jigglypuff?
or joining period?
what about chansey joining?

D

Deleted member

just to be random, any opinions on clefairy joining as a... counterpart to jigglypuff?
or joining period?
what about chansey joining?
just an idea, don't know if anyone else was thinkin this, but bulbasaur would be an amazing addition, all by himself, any input?
LOL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, the Minish Cap is criminally underrated. It's too bad that game was as short as it was. I felt that if it was longer (maybe with a "twist" at the final boss) the game could have been one of the best Zelda games ever. If you ask me, a potential 3DS Zelda game should get the most "inspiration" from the Minish Cap and Link's Awakening... after A Link to the Past and the original Legend of Zelda, of course. Obviously the positive elements from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks should remain or be inspirations as well.
MC was made by Capcom, just putting that out there, as I think it plays a role on whether Nintendo would draw inspiration from it.

Bu you know what I'd love to see? Either a remake of Zelda 2? As a Zelda-esque Metroidvania on the 3DS. Or a game that goes back to the roots of Zelda. To that more gritty artstyle, and the balls to the wall difficulty. Forget the story, and just drop me in the middle of a map to explore. Zelda 1 & 2 were great at that. Also, whatever happened to Magic? With each passing Zelda it becomes less and less relevant. Anyway, a Zelda that draws from Zelda 1&2, and MM would be a wet dream bro.

Oh, and I stand corrected on the PT thing I guess.

Nil and more nil. Sakurai likes characters that are original, "main characters (as in the top dogs of each series)," and characters who stick out.
Don't we all. Although, I take certain preference to non-MC's. Especially if they're iconic of the franchise/game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom