• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZuo

Smash Rookie
Maybe they will edit pokemon trainer and switch the pokemon with ones from black and white. I'm hoping if pikachu's final smash is still volt tackle, they make it in a strait line. You know that volt tackle in the TV shows is actually like in a strait line?

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
In all seriousness though, at least on sites like GoNintendo and GAF I know there are users who are either directly or indirectly affiliated with Nintendo. On several occasions recently, such as the Wii U debug menu scandal on GAF, Nintendo does take notice. Does that mean they are going to drive their business decisions because MarioLover674 decides Bowser. Jr deserves to be playable in the next game? Of course not. You're in the wrong hemisphere for one thing; secondly, business is not driven directly by the whims of the consumer. I know you probably know all this already Golden, but I'm speaking to clarify myself, more so with others, so as to not leave what I'm saying too open ended. If you get me?
People have brought that notion up before for Smash and it hasn't been affected in any way with NoA; unless something happened recently I do not know of. At the very most they can do; is take our opinions on which VA should voice X character. Even maybe going as far as including a "language switch" option from English to Japanese people that prefer the other VAs

I.e. Falco's SF:Assault VA > Brawl's "Joey Wheeler" VA
Wolf's SF:Assault VA > Brawl's etc

Who knows, if all of us hype the potential of Dan Green being contacted by Nintendo to do Mewtwo's voice again; it would work :awesome:

I'm hoping if pikachu's final smash is still volt tackle, they make it in a strait line. You know that volt tackle in the TV shows is actually like in a strait line?
You do realize though Anime has little affect on how the attacks in a video game are supposed to be right?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
In all seriousness though, at least on sites like GoNintendo and GAF I know there are users who are either directly or indirectly affiliated with Nintendo. On several occasions recently, such as the Wii U debug menu scandal on GAF, Nintendo does take notice. Does that mean they are going to drive their business decisions because MarioLover674 decides Bowser. Jr deserves to be playable in the next game? Of course not. You're in the wrong hemisphere for one thing; secondly, business is not driven directly by the whims of the consumer. I know you probably know all this already Golden, but I'm speaking to clarify myself, more so with others, so as to not leave what I'm saying too open ended. If you get me?
Well said. Anyway I doubt Sakurai even needs to worry about characters that the west are interested in, he probably already had a general idea before he even began development. Either way the only two that he would need to know would be Little Mac and Ridley, the latter of which has already been brought to his attention.

I'm hoping if pikachu's final smash is still volt tackle, they make it in a strait line. You know that volt tackle in the TV shows is actually like in a strait line?
Pulseman rules. The anime drools. :p

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Well said. Anyway I doubt Sakurai even needs to worry about characters that the west are interested in, he probably already had a general idea before he even began development. Either way the only two that he would need to know would be Little Mac and Ridley, the latter of which has already been brought to his attention.
Don't forget Geno as well; iirc he downloaded SMRPG on his wii not too long ago to see what's the "story" behind the character

Pulseman rules. The anime drools. :p
Now that you mention it; you think we would finally get a AT or trophy of him by now?

Also guys, on a completely unrelated note. Let's play a game of "pretend" so we don't think about this too much nor argue about it

See this pic here? What Nintendo character do you think would have this idle pose? DON'T SAY CAPTAIN FALCON :V

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Don't forget Geno as well; iirc he downloaded SMRPG on his wii not too long ago to see what's the "story" behind the character

Quiet You!
:smirk:

Now that you mention it; you think we would finally get a AT or trophy of him by now?
A man can dream...Screw Gen 6, give Pulseman a sequel. lol

Pinkbeast

Smash Rookie
Nil and more nil. Sakurai likes characters that are original, "main characters (as in the top dogs of each series)," and characters who stick out.
well, what about jigglypuff? not much of a main character... or much a stick-out kind of character
if anything, chansey should be in before jigglypuff

See this pic here? What Nintendo character do you think would have this idle pose?

looks like cap. falcon to me

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The character isn't owned (or co-owned) by Nintendo, it's owned by Game Freak, so any Smash appearances would be fairly unlikely.

It's in the same situation as getting a character from any of the IPs HAL solely owns.

See this pic here? What Nintendo character do you think would have this idle pose?
IIRC people originally thought that might be Little Mac (though I could be mixing it up with another picture Sakurai tweeted of one of his little figure men :p), personally I think it's too vague for any solid guesses.

well, what about jigglypuff? not much of a main character... or much a stick-out kind of character
if anything, chansey should be in before jigglypuff
Jigglypuff wouldn't get in now, but back in 64 times Jiggz was one of the most popular Pokemon in Japan (much moreso than Chansey), and a relatively easy model transition from Kirby. Plus I doubt Sakurai would think of Chansey as a fighter, even its Pokeball effect is passive.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
People have brought that notion up before for Smash and it hasn't been affected in any way with NoA; unless something happened recently I do not know of. At the very most they can do; is take our opinions on which VA should voice X character. Even maybe going as far as including a "language switch" option from English to Japanese people that prefer the other VAs

I.e. Falco's SF:Assault VA > Brawl's "Joey Wheeler" VA
Wolf's SF:Assault VA > Brawl's etc

Who knows, if all of us hype the potential of Dan Green being contacted by Nintendo to do Mewtwo's voice again; it would work :awesome:
Well, NoA does have influence on Super Smash Bros to a minor degree. After all, the US version doesn't have Earthbound or Fire Emblem in the Masterpiece mode in our copies of Super Smash Bros. I've also heard it said in the past that originally NoA was going to remove Marth in localized versions of Melee, leaving Roy as the sole Fire Emblem character. In hindsight, this would have been quite ironic, since Shadow Dragon was remade for the DS and localized, while Sealed Sword has yet to be localized beyond Japan.

Sakurai has a knack for knowing what the base wants even if they aren't sure, and even when he gambles with characters, they usually wind up well received. I don't, nor would I suggest anyone else, distrust his ability to select appealing characters.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
It was both Marth and Roy, Star. Not just Marth.
Surprisingly, I've heard from elsewhere the contrary. I forget the reason, but it basically amounted to Roy being more marketable in the eyes of NoA, or some jazz like that. Truly does not matter in the end because neither one were cut. I just find the idea humorous considering the irony of the latter part of my previous statement.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'd like to point out that NoA opinions do count just as much as Japan. Sakurai even stated that Sonic and Pit we're notably more popular in western territories and was one of the reasons for their inclusions. Sonic in particular was literally built to appeal to the western audience, which explains why Sonic had far more support as a character in North America then Japan.

A more modern equivalent of this "western appeal" context would would be Ridley, who has insane support in North America but almost non-existent support in Japan.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd like to point out that NoA opinions do count just as much as Japan. Sakurai even stated that Sonic and Pit we're added because of their popularity in western territories.
No question they do, but there is a disparity between the kind of contributions the fans in Japan have over the fans here in America (or the West generally). Nintendo of America can make suggestions, or even pass along whatever information they have, but naturally Japan has the upper hand as far as influence or accessibility is concerned.

Again, this does not mean that NCL bends their will to their Japanese constituents any more than other regions.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To be fair though, most characters are popular in both the west and east, so even if there is the slight Japan bias it won't matter much in the long end.

The only characters that have a notable unbalanced popularity is Ridley and Little Mac in the West, and to a far lesser extent Zoroark and Black Shadow in the East, with everything else being close to even. Still, it's kinda surprising to see some details when observed, like King K. Rool being supported a lot more then expect in Japan and Takamaru getting a larger then expected amount of support in North America.

D

Deleted member

See this pic here? What Nintendo character do you think would have this idle pose? DON'T SAY CAPTAIN FALCON :V
It looks like Snake to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_lIdiMM0Tc&feature=fvwrel
You can see Snake take that exact stance at 1:58 in the video, and many other parts as well, it's just really clear at 1:58. Oh, minor spoilers for anyone who hasn't played MGS4.

Also, it's not Little Mac. In boxing you keep your hands by your face, palms in to defend with the mitts. In that figure the arms are out like a Krav Maga type stance, which is more akin to Snake's fighting style, which is a mix of KM and Kickboxing. Source, myself and 9 Years of studying different martial arts.

Well, that's relieving, looks like a good hint that my Brawl main will very likely be making a comeback, with some MGS4 references too it seems. Guess Sakurai must have finished playing MGS4 when he took that pic. Now, he better get to playing Peace Walker and MGS3 so he can give us some good ol' Big Boss costumes.

It was both Marth and Roy, Star. Not just Marth.
Jesus, that would have been terrible... Removing two characters simply because Western fans don't know about them. Words cannot describe how STUPID that would have been.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to point out that NoA opinions do count just as much as Japan. Sakurai even stated that Sonic and Pit we're notably more popular in western territories and was one of the reasons for their inclusions. Sonic in particular was literally built to appeal to the western audience, which explains why Sonic had far more support as a character in North America then Japan.

A more modern equivalent of this "western appeal" context would would be Ridley, who has insane support in North America but almost non-existent support in Japan.
This gives me hope for the roster. Combining most wanted of Japan and NoA would be fantastic.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This gives me hope for the roster. Combining most wanted of Japan and NoA would be fantastic.
As Habanero pointed out, I don't believe there will be much of a difference between what Japan wants and what we in the West. Sure, there will be those characters like Chrom or Shulk, that come to mind, that will probably benefit from the regional differences, but overall it won't be anything drastically different than what most people are already anticipating.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
As Habanero pointed out, I don't believe there will be much of a difference between what Japan wants and what we in the West. Sure, there will be those characters like Chrom or Shulk, that come to mind, that will probably benefit from the regional differences, but overall it won't be anything drastically different than what most people are already anticipating.
It made me think a little bit differently about my roster. I understand the basic idea of teh roster is understood by almost everyone here, but these facts of most wanted in Japan is news to me. Especially for Shulk, who is not as wanted here. I feel liek I missed something, like I should say more. But words escape me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because **** Europe, amirite?
Truthfully, it seems Europe does have the lowest priority in popular character inclusion, but honestly I can't really think of a character popular in Europe that isn't popular in either Japan or NA also.

Can anybody think of one? Maybe I'm just blanking.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Because **** Europe, amirite?
Truthfully, it seems Europe does have the lowest priority in popular character inclusion, but honestly I can't really think of a character popular in Europe that isn't popular in either Japan or NA also.

unfortunately, this is true... but then again, I DO think that European players have different tastes when it comes to gaming. I don't think Nintendo is as popular in Europe as it is in North America or Japan. but I think with the Wii and 3DS, things changed for the last few years.

let's see how the Wii U will fare in its first days in Europe... but I really don't think it will sell a lot for now, because the economy here isn't looking good, especially in Portugal (where I live), Spain, Ireland and Greece.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm an European and gotta say, we tend to be more of "we don't really care and we don't have "standards" "-fellas. Which explains why we get some exclusive titles Americans tend to be so demanding about (Xenoblade, Last Story, Pikmin 2 New Control Play! before this year).

Though maybe Europeans would go happy seeing Shulk since Xenoblade was well-received here in Finland. Can't see Xenoblade sold anywhere now.

Also when did that photo come out? I'm quite interested who it could be modelled for: seems like it could be either Snake (his A-jabs) or Little Mac.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Also when did that photo come out? I'm quite interested who it could be modelled for: seems like it could be either Snake (his A-jabs) or Little Mac.
October 20th. I don't know honestly; it kinda seems like a grappler type of character. Then again; I haven't been able to find any possibilities on my end; so it being Snake or Little mac's possible jabs/moves is entirely plausible

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm an European and gotta say, we tend to be more of "we don't really care and we don't have "standards" "-fellas. Which explains why we get some exclusive titles Americans tend to be so demanding about (Xenoblade, Last Story, Pikmin 2 New Control Play! before this year).

Though maybe Europeans would go happy seeing Shulk since Xenoblade was well-received here in Finland. Can't see Xenoblade sold anywhere now.

I kind of agree with you about European fans, in general, we aren't very picky about games. though it may vary from place to place, this same point of view is more or less present in the whole continent. that's to say exactly as you said, we aren't very demanding, we just wait for the games without much expectation.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
October 20th. I don't know honestly; it kinda seems like a grappler type of character. Then again; I haven't been able to find any possibilities on my end; so it being Snake or Little mac's possible jabs/moves is entirely plausible
He looks a bit like Abel from Street Fighter, at least with his stance. But as far as characters already in SSB, I think it looks most like Snake or CF.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If Sakurai has the ability to port Brawl's engine over to SSB4, an option he didn't have from Melee to Brawl, it would follow that he's able to port over character data as well, correct? Because of this, there would be no reason to re-design a veteran's moves, hence me believing that figurine is modeling a new character's move instead.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman

There are however games that didn't even release in Europe, which makes it silly to have them appear in the game when there are characters that are more popular worldwide. (Earthbound and Super Mario RPG come to mind).

One thing that frustrates the hell out of me about Nintendo is that they take months to bring games to Europe sometimes. You get all hyped up for a game to come out, only to realise they don't release it here for another month or two, at which point I often don't even care anymore or have forgotten about it.

yani

Smash Lord
If Sakurai has the ability to port Brawl's engine over to SSB4, an option he didn't have from Melee to Brawl, it would follow that he's able to port over character data as well, correct? Because of this, there would be no reason to re-design a veteran's moves, hence me believing that figurine is modeling a new character's move instead.
Pretty much correct, but we can't be certain that he won't revamp some vets.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Perhaps the figure is Mach Rider's stance? Not too sure on that...

D

Deleted member

I'm going to laugh so hard if the figure is just a figure and was just there to add to the picture. :laugh:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure he said he ported Melee's engine to Brawl, not that it really matters at this point. Also he did say Brawl to SSB4 at one point, but in the latest interviews he said Namco had just finished making a new engine. No idea whats going on. lol

Anyway I don't think the figurine means much when the focus of the photo was on all his Uprising Cards. The figurine is probably just an inside joke/calling card to his friends, they have been used in several twit pics in the past as some of you may remember from the old thread.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Inside joke, huh... Maybe like "i'm gonna punch you in the face when you come back." :awesome:

Reyson: And whenever that happens, it's time for some mugs of beer and playing Angry Birds 4 hours straight. Seriously, the things you have to deal with being an European gamer.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Horsetail: A lot of developers do stuff like that. Remember Street Fighter's Ono and his Blanka Figurine? Of course, the difference is Nintendo is more secretive and that Sakurai has the Dojo.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
looks like cap. falcon to me
I think it looks most like Snake or CF.

Thing is though, this would be Captain Falcon. Not the one I posted

Agreed

Perhaps the figure is Mach Rider's stance? Not too sure on that...
Could be possible

I'm going to laugh so hard if the figure is just a figure and was just there to add to the picture. :laugh:
Same here :bee: But in all honesty he does use Micromen when modeling smash characters; so its entirely plausible (if not likely) that he's teasing the fans with this. I've seen some of the japanese users on some fan forums claim that they tried asking him what were up with those and he hasn't replied to them on that. Such as this one, which "supposedly" references Takamaru. It's weird, since if it's nothing he'd be saying its just for fun~ Then again, this is Sakurai :troll:

I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure he said he ported Melee's engine to Brawl, not that it really matters at this point. Also he did say Brawl to SSB4 at one point, but in the latest interviews he said Namco had just finished making a new engine
This to infinity

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it's just that we've had nothing to go on for so long. We tend to take everything and over-analyze it. Really, the Namco-Bandai thing was the only sort of news we ever got.

D

Deleted member

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Wow seriously? Did NO ONE bother to take a look at my post? Let alone the video I posted? What am I? Invisible?

It's Snake, he takes the EXACT same stance when fighting Liquid on top of the Submarine. Like nearly down to the minuscule details. A punch in boxing doesn't take that stance. The right hand is too far from the face and the elbow is too far out, also, for him to be punching the arm would need to be fully extended, a bent elbow means a loss of power when punching and possible complications in the future through wear and tear. That stance is clearly a "ready" stance. It COULD be Mach Rider as someone already said, but the fact that Snake takes that stance down to the footwork makes a better argument for him.

Also, it has already been stated by Sakurai that vets are getting revamped moves. There's no reason he wouldn't rework stances, as he already did that from Melee to Brawl. Take a look at Mario for example.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Wow seriously? Did NO ONE bother to take a look at my post? Let alone the video I posted? What am I? Invisible?
Not to me you're not *awkward side-hug*. I just don't see the point in discussing something as irrelevant as a blank figurine so I ignored that topic and talked about something else.

D

Deleted member

I still say that it's not meant to be anyone. Just a figure.

I know he used the same kind of figures to help envision how characters would move with certain actions in Brawl, but unless he actually says that these figures are for the same purpose, it's just making a big deal over a very little thing, which is quite common these days with anything Sakurai says or does.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The news drought is not doing any favors at this point, and we still have months of this if something doesn't pop up by then. All we can do is speculate and try to map out every possibility in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom