• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Watch that if Sakurai sees Sugar Rush (what Wreck-It Ralph is titled in Japan) and tweets that he loved it that speculation over Wreck-It Ralph being in Smash will explode. :laugh:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Looks like that debug leak may have actually been showing up a preview of possible games for the future of the Wii U.

A listing for Yoshi's Island Wii U was found within Best Buy's database. There is also a listing for Yoshi's Island Wii U:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=dda434935b6fe7de496bacec7db51837en02

Join everyone's favourite dinosaur in his first big starring role on Nintendo Wii U - Yoshi's Land. Utilise the power of the Wii U Touchscreen GamePad to enjoy dual-screen fun in this epic adventure with stunning HD graphics and connectivity with the MiiVerse.

I think the two most likely developers for this game are either Artoon (which made Yoshi's Topsy Turvy and Yoshi's Island DS) or Good Feel (which made Wario Land: Shake It and Kirby's Epic Yarn).

Looks like a Metroid and Donkey Kong Wii U games are headed for the console in its future. Though I wonder what development teams are making them. Retro is probably only making one of them. I can't think of any team that would make Metroid aside from Retro, though I assume other teams out there probably could make a side-scrolling DK.

As for Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid, I think the Resident Evil game is mostly a port of 6 or the rumored HD console port of Revelations. For MGS, I am guessing a port of MGS4 (or Rising), with also the possibility of MGS5. I already stated my theory that "Final Fantasy 3" could be FFXIII-3: Lightning Returns.

If MGS4 is ported to the Wii U, I think its very likely then that if Snake does return in Smash 4, he will be Old Snake.

D

Deleted member

Looks like that debug leak may have actually been showing up a preview of possible games for the future of the Wii U.

A listing for Yoshi's Island Wii U was found within Best Buy's database. There is also a listing for Yoshi's Island Wii U:
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=dda434935b6fe7de496bacec7db51837en02

Join everyone's favourite dinosaur in his first big starring role on Nintendo Wii U - Yoshi's Land. Utilise the power of the Wii U Touchscreen GamePad to enjoy dual-screen fun in this epic adventure with stunning HD graphics and connectivity with the MiiVerse.

I think the two most likely developers for this game are either Artoon (which made Yoshi's Topsy Turvy and Yoshi's Island DS) or Good Feel (which made Wario Land: Shake It and Kirby's Epic Yarn).

Looks like a Metroid and Donkey Kong Wii U games are headed for the console in its future. Though I wonder what development teams are making them. Retro is probably only making one of them. I can't think of any team that would make Metroid aside from Retro, though I assume other teams out there probably could make a side-scrolling DK.

As for Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid, I think the Resident Evil game is mostly a port of 6 or the rumored HD console port of Revelations. For MGS, I am guessing a port of MGS4 (or Rising), with also the possibility of MGS5. I already stated my theory that "Final Fantasy 3" could be FFXIII-3: Lightning Returns.

If MGS4 is ported to the Wii U, I think its very likely then that if Snake does return in Smash 4, he will be Old Snake.
Yeah, I saw these news a while back as well.

When we saw it, we actually speculated that it was Retro who picked up Yoshi WiiU. I can see Nintendo handing off another old-school IP to someone as renowned as Retro. Especially since they're masters of atmosphere and style, and it would be a good way to bring back Yoshi, same as they did for DK.

As for Metroid and the like. Keep in mind Plat-Games is also supposed to be working on something, likewise for Nintendo themselves.

Agreed on FFXIII, and RE. However, I feel it's too late to port over MGS4. Especially since Kojima is completely finished with the Solid Snake Saga. A WiiU MGS could be either a Peace Walker port (which seems unlikely), or MGS Ground Zeroes. It's also possible for it to be Metal Gear Rising, since Platinum games and all, but really I have no idea. I just don't think it'd be MGS4, as it wouldn't sell very well if it was.

On the topic of the figurine, you're right. It might be nothing. But the fact that we found an exact match for the pose does have several implications.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Retro Studios are working on Yoshi's Land U, don't expect Shy Guys, Crazee Dayzees, Baby Bowser and the like. They are gonna add Tiki Guys, Tiki Dayzees, and Baby Tiki Tong. :troll:

:phone:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Metroid is really no surprise to me since Miyamoto has all but confirmed that he intends on developing a Metroid title for the Wii U. No real surprise there. Donkey Kong is more surprising to me as I do not believe Retro is working on a sequel to DKCR. As for the third party titles; Resident Evil 6, Final Fantasy XIII-3, and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes make the most sense.

And for anyone who has no idea what we are talking about, the following link will help you.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500411

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
As for the third party titles; Resident Evil 6, Final Fantasy XIII-3, and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes make the most sense.
I really hope it's not RE6, that game was bad. I'd rather have another cooperation between Nintendo and Capcom to make another game like RE4 or Revelations. Nintendo's quality+Capcom's more mature orientated games tend to give good results.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
With news like that from the Wii U, sounds like they're gonna have a great line up!

I did not mean to leave out Europe earlier, nor did I expect that to be a topic for about a page... sorry If I offended anyone with that. :urg:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You do realize though Anime has little affect on how the attacks in a video game are supposed to be right?
Not all the time. Thunder Jolt(the name came from the Pokemon TCG's mistranslation of Thunder Bolt, and the move itself was used in the anime by Ash's Pikachu. It's also notable that the version put in was pretty much Ash's Pikachu anyway)

This is why Pikachu was absurdly powerful in the first game, as well as why they chose what his Final Smash is. Long story short, Ash's Pikachu was put in Smash, not Red's. Red's is actually not that powerful officially.

Anyway, sometimes the Anime does influence the moves(whatever series that has an Anime, that is). Or a cartoon might give reasons why characters can even fight.(Zelda's first use of an Arrow was not in the video games either, that was from the mediocre cartoon, which was later added into the games. Whether or not they referenced the cartoon for it means little, though. It still is possibly an influence too, and still is the first time Zelda fought, albeit, she's never fought in any of the Nintendo-made Zelda games by the time of Melee)

There's some others, I'm sure.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still love Zelda's moveset regardless, especially her side special. I like how her side special was loosely based on the Fire spell from Zelda II even though it was named after the better-known fire spell from Ocarina of Time. I also like how her neutral special was a reference to the seven maidens trapped inside crystals from A Link to the Past. It is so funny how Zelda had little to no fighting experience in Nintendo-made Zelda games that Sakurai had to give her Link's spells and her getting kidnapped as part of her moveset. :troll: :awesome: :laugh:

D

Deleted member

The bogus. It has been released.

Yup, Ash's Pikachu knowing Volt Tackle definitely is the reason why Pikachu has it as his Final Smash.
It's definitely not because Volt Tackle has been a signature attack for the Pikachu evolutionary line since Gen 3.

Yup, Pikachu being top tier in Smash 64 has everything to do with Ash's Pikachu since Sakurai defintely cares about competitive standings and wanted to make Pikachu be as cheap as he is in the anime when he's a plot device. It also explains why Meta Knight is so broken in Brawl; he's Sakurai's favorite. As for Fox in Melee? You got me there, but I'm sure it's because Fox is his waifu. He had to keep it from being obvious by making Fox lower tier in Brawl. :troll:

And yup, Zelda using a bow in the American cartoon is defintely why Zelda has used Light Arrows in a few games, since Japan sure knows of it's existance and cares a great deal for it.
Also explains why Ganondorf is so punchy in Smash; Ganon was apparently a boxing coach in the cartoon. :awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAhs4_bRbQ

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
My reaction: OMG! YOSHI CUNFURMED! UNBELIEVABLE! :rotfl:
Looks like a Metroid and Donkey Kong Wii U games are headed for the console in its future.
Welp, expect more Ridley appearances. Also, I wouldn't be shocked in a K. Rool or Dixie showed up in the next DKC game. If that happens, expect those subsequent fanbases to explode with hype! :laugh:
What if it's MGS5=??? Then perhaps we could get Big Boss instead of Solid Snake. If it's MGS4 though, I got a feeling we could get both Old and Young Snake, like in MGS4.
MC was made by Capcom, just putting that out there, as I think it plays a role on whether Nintendo would draw inspiration from it.
That's my theory on why we haven't seen more Minish Cap inspiration, too.
Bu you know what I'd love to see? Either a remake of Zelda 2? As a Zelda-esque Metroidvania on the 3DS. Or a game that goes back to the roots of Zelda. To that more gritty artstyle, and the balls to the wall difficulty. Forget the story, and just drop me in the middle of a map to explore. Zelda 1 & 2 were great at that. Also, whatever happened to Magic? With each passing Zelda it becomes less and less relevant. Anyway, a Zelda that draws from Zelda 1&2, and MM would be a wet dream bro.
Don't even get me started. I have beat the original LOZ 3 dozen times, and it is my favorite game in the series. A Link to the Past is my 2nd favorite Zelda game. As for Zelda II, it holds a dear place in my heart, and I think it was a great game. I think Zelda II, like most Zelda games, would benefit from multiple difficulties ("Hero Mode" isn't really a difficulty level; it's more of a damage increaser).

I think a Zelda game with a gigantic overworld (I'm talking Skyrim/GTA San Andreas/GTA V big), tons of quests, lots of diverse enemies, and a huge budge would be a blockbuster mega-hit for the WiiU. Maybe even give us some magic spells. I also really miss those awesome wands in the original LOZ and ALTTP.
Don't we all. Although, I take certain preference to non-MC's. Especially if they're iconic of the franchise/game.
That's why we have Mario, Link, and Snake as playable characters instead Goombella, the Happy Mask Salesman, and Colonial Campbell! :laugh:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem is, 3Bis, Nintendo did not ever make that game. Rare did.

However, them making another Super Mario 64 with more to it could be interesting. Collecting wasn't done heavily in the 3D games. Not on the level of DK64's, anyway. Just the basic "Stars(Sprites), Coins(Blue)", and that's really it.

The NSMB for the DS's had a bit more on the collecting, but they aren't any different from getting Blue Coins or the Dragon Coins in Super Mario World. Essentially, besides the bare minimum, they never made a collectathon Mario game. They do that with the Zelda series, though.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
The problem is, 3Bis, Nintendo did not ever make that game. Rare did.

However, them making another Super Mario 64 with more to it could be interesting. Collecting wasn't done heavily in the 3D games. Not on the level of DK64's, anyway. Just the basic "Stars(Sprites), Coins(Blue)", and that's really it.

The NSMB for the DS's had a bit more on the collecting, but they aren't any different from getting Blue Coins or the Dragon Coins in Super Mario World. Essentially, besides the bare minimum, they never made a collectathon Mario game. They do that with the Zelda series, though.
I know Rare made it. but it's not like Nintendo couldn't do it. they still have all the rights to those characters and likeness and could easily use people from the Zelda teams to develop the game cause like you said, they are well versed in collecting type games.

I also never said make a rerelease of DK64 or anything. I said make a new DK 64. with the big hub world, rescuing and using other Kongs, each Kong having their own strengths and weaknesses, collecting bananas and what not. just a big 3-D Donkey Kong adventure again.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Hyper
Rare also made DKC, which we finally got another after all these years! Plus DK64 isn't too far removed from 3D Mario. Just make the collecting more option and fun (like Banjo Kazooie and Tooie did), make some better bosses, add another difficulty level, make the game longer, get ride of all the lame mini-games, and we're good! :shades:

:dk:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know Rare made it. but it's not like Nintendo couldn't do it. they still have all the rights to those characters and likeness and could easily use people from the Zelda teams to develop the game cause like you said, they are well versed in collecting type games.

I also never said make a rerelease of DK64 or anything. I said make a new DK 64. with the big hub world, rescuing and using other Kongs, each Kong having their own strengths and weaknesses, collecting bananas and what not. just a big 3-D Donkey Kong adventure again.
Ah, I misunderstood you. I doubt Nintendo would do it, as they clearly like to be a bit more conservative on collectathons. Just not going super overboard like Rare did.

I wouldn't mind a few more items to collect, but nowhere near the same amount as Rare's games at all. That was annoying as is. Collectathons should stick to the RPG's, where it's much easier to find everything.(as long as there's no DLC stuff)

@Johnknight: If you have to do all that, it misses the point. Doing a lot of stuff for your items is what makes it what it is. I'm fine with how it was done in general, and I would hate if Mario went the route of a super collectathon. It isn't a Mario game anymore. Leave it to the rpg's, really. The 3D games can stay a bit more basic. I like them how they're doing it. Not too many things to collect, but still a very good amount. As long as the mini-games aren't all terrible, it's good.(Oy, Sunshine had some bad levels, stupid Pachinko Level...)

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
@ Hyper
Rare also made DKC, which we finally got another after all these years! Plus DK64 isn't too far removed from 3D Mario. Just make the collecting more option and fun (like Banjo Kazooie and Tooie did), make some better bosses, add another difficulty level, make the game longer, get ride of all the lame mini-games, and we're good! :shades:

:dk:
And most of all, make Cranky a playable character, I want to beat the game in an hour and using one life:awesome:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Ah, I misunderstood you. I doubt Nintendo would do it, as they clearly like to be a bit more conservative on collectathons. Just not going super overboard like Rare did.

I wouldn't mind a few more items to collect, but nowhere near the same amount as Rare's games at all. That was annoying as is. Collectathons should stick to the RPG's, where it's much easier to find everything.(as long as there's no DLC stuff)
yeah DLC sucks. but the idea isn't to far out there. they are gonna try and appeal to hardcore gamers with the Wii U and something like a collectable based game is one of those things that "hardcore" gamers gravitate to because that translates to more play time. I more or less see Nintendo saying no cause they do have the Zelda games to really fill that role of adventure/exploring game. I just feel like until DKCR came out, DK was pretty much played second fiddle to a lot of other franchises during the Gamecube era and most of the Wii era with the franchise just not working the way it was meant to. but idk as DKCR and Kirby Return to Dreamland, and to some extent Mario Galaxy, doing what worked well once should really be done again and better.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, we could leave it to Retro and the Zelda series anyway.

The thing is, that's only cause Rare was unavailable for GCN games, so of course they wouldn't be as good.(albeit, they're not as good as they used to be, but still)

As for Hardcore, they do fine on that right now anyway. It just means it's a long game with stuff to do, since that's the point of a Hardcore gamer, playing games very very often. If it keeps them entertained, it's good.

Casual are games that are played sometimes, but not that freakin' often.

Games work the same way, though. A hardcore gamer plays any game very very often. A casual gamer plays it much less. No game is directly hardcore or casual, though. A shorter game is most likely to be casual, and vice versa for a hardcore game. Weird, but that's really what it is.

Anyway, after the n64, I'll be honest that Nintendo didn't have as many awesome supplies when it came to really good variety or their franchises being as awesome as they used to be. I'd say they hit their peak in the n64 area overall. The others still are great, but never got above it. Yet.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Anyway, after the n64, I'll be honest that Nintendo didn't have as many awesome supplies when it came to really good variety or their franchises being as awesome as they used to be. I'd say they hit their peak in the n64 area overall. The others still are great, but never got above it. Yet.
totally agree, N64 had the greatest assortment of IPs for Nintendo (arguably NES or SNES but w.e). there was something for everyone and each was done really well. now it kinda feels like 100 Mario games with some Zelda and some smaller IPs sprinkled on it. Oh and Pokemon

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
totally agree, N64 had the greatest assortment of IPs for Nintendo (arguably NES or SNES but w.e). there was something for everyone and each was done really well. now it kinda feels like 100 Mario games with some Zelda and some smaller IPs sprinkled on it. Oh and Pokemon
and the new IPs we get, we have to demand to get

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Exactly. Don't get me wrong, not every game was perfect n64 and lower, of course. Pokemon games got fairly better in time(handheld ones). But the majority ruled through the 64 era.

And I do hate how we have to so much freakin' demand to get a decent new IP, or just some old classics being done in a similar style to the old, and not new versions right away.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah I know what your saying. and don't get me wrong, I love what they do with their bigger IPs mostly in the case of Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and Kirby. but some just got kind of ruined either by a poor game or two like with Starfox or just simply got shafted with so few games like with F-Zero.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah I know what your saying. and don't get me wrong, I love what they do with their bigger IPs mostly in the case of Mario, Pokemon, Zelda and Kirby. but some just got kind of ruined either by a poor game or two like with Starfox or just simply got shafted with so few games like with F-Zero.
To say the least, Starfox 64 3D does not count. They could all use new games, but wasn't it confirmed there's a Starfox game for the Wii U being made, and that there's rumors for an F-Zero game?

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Inside joke, huh... Maybe like "i'm gonna punch you in the face when you come back." :awesome:

Reyson: And whenever that happens, it's time for some mugs of beer and playing Angry Birds 4 hours straight. Seriously, the things you have to deal with being an European gamer.
at least you got pandora's tower, and you know, there is australia

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Starfox, I just realized something

Since Namco is working with Sakurai on this; let's take one step back and think about something. There's an artist from their team that will be updating the looks of the Smash characters; obviously. And Since Namco worked on Star fox Assault; its possible we may get that "fox look" back into the game. Or at the very least, that look mixed with the original star-fox box art and SF64.

Perhaps we can also get the SF:assault VAs back too, but perhaps that's pushing it:awesome:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@3Bis: Kind of doubt it at this point, to be honest. Nintendo isn't what they used to be. It'll sell, but being good is another thing.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Could somebody PM me the link that shows that Sakurai avoiding the Animal Crossing characters since they wouldn't fight? I know it's somewhere

If you want to find the entry in which he said that; its up to you to look it up then. :V

I actually prefer the Assault look on Fox myself so i wouldn't be against it if Fox, Falco, and Wolf looked that way.
Same here honestly, especially the VAs. I really didn't like NoA's new VAs for brawl. It didn't suit them at all (Falco's "Joey Wheeler" VA or the bland tasteless Texan VA for Wolf)

I really hope the Assault VAs come back in this one

EDIT: Apparently, Wolf's Assault VA is the same VA for the Engineer in TF2. This explains everything, no wonder its voiced so well

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Assault is the only game where Fox fully fights on foot with his regular Laser Gun, to note.(alteast, from what I remember he could select it)

The rest don't, even if they have onfoot segments. I think overall, it's the best option for costumes, since Assault felt almost as close to a fighting game version of Starfox as you can get. Yeah, grasping at straws here, agreed. But eh, I loved that design anyway.

@MasterMushroom: Thanks. I eventually found it, though. And yeah, AC could totally fight since making moves for 'em is easy, you know? It'd just be way too Out of character, which is the only reason they aren't a playable fighter.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I had thought that with assault back before Brawl was out that we'd also be looking at different moves for Falco and Fox. you know using more guns from that game since like HyperFalcon said, it is one of the only ones with an on foot combat system in it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Three StarFox games have on-foot segments. 64, Dinosaur Planet/Adventures(which to note would be a good moveset for Krystal to work with), and Assault. Adventures has nothing to do with the regular on-foot segment, which is why I didn't mention it. No guns, or anything.(Arwing(s), though...)

D

Deleted member

To say the least, Starfox 64 3D does not count. They could all use new games, but wasn't it confirmed there's a Starfox game for the Wii U being made, and that there's rumors for an F-Zero game?
Miyamotto has also stated that GX was the pinnacle of F-Zero, and that any other F-Zero games released afterwards wouldn't please the fans, that he was surprised to hear there was still support for the series and people still wanted to see more. However, he DID say that he'd like to see what the WiiU can do for F-Zero, and if the series is gonna come back, the WiiU would be the best time/place to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom