• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai does not want Smash to be a competitive franchise

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Rock, paper, scissors actually has a fairly large fan base/community which recognizes it as a competitive sport. There are tournaments, and the largest one is actually shown on ESPN.

(Note: I am not a rock, paper, scissors player lol nor do I understand how/why it could be competitive and have depth. I am just throwing this out there lol)
I didn't say it wasn't competitive. But tell me this--is there more depth to Rock Paper scissors, with 9 potential moves, only three of which lead to a win for one player, or Chess, with 400 opening moves (increasing exponentially after that), each one a legitimate victory tactic.

C.Y.

Smash Rookie
if sakuray dont want brawl to be compatiton, then y do ppl want it to be? i dont undarstand

Big Burn

Smash Lord
It is feasible to compete at many things which are not interesting competitively.

Just because something is competitive doesn't mean it should be, or that the competitive experience is satisfying or fun.

Poor competition in sequels is, at least from my experience, a primary reason why many die such quick deaths. Competition fuels longevity. Casual players can look up to the best players and say "Wow... I don't have any interest in that, but ****, this game is pretty awesome. Those players are awesome. That's amazing." Alternately, they can say "****... I am going to be able to do that one day," and another competitive player is born. This fuels interest in the game, even amongst casual players. Spectating is fun; surely all of you have watched the Olympics, watching games you've never even played before, and been **** impressed.

As a mental exercise think back a few years to when Shined Blind originally came out and/or you first saw it. What did you think about it? For those without lots of competitive experience it was a real eye-opener. I know relatively casual players who saw that video and their opinion of smash shot way up, as well as their interest in playing the game, even if they didn't really ever intend to improve. Just knowing that the game was so much more involved than they thought possible excited them.

A game which doesn't support high-end gameplay tends to die quite quickly. Don't take this to mean it wouldn't sell well. After all, we have Brawl, countless Mario Parties, and whatever. But how many of those players will actually keep playing the game for any consistent amount of time? They won't, after the initial fun wears off it'll be pulled out occasionally at best. The longevity is not the same, the excitement is not the same. The game dies, people stop caring about it.

A game with no high-end gameplay is almost always flawed at the middle-end, too. That is, as a player attempts to get better he'll start to notice all the types of things that make it no fun for good players, and start to realize that he may as well not bother; if he keeps improving then the game will die for him. Such a game is only satisfying for any stretch of time to the most casual of gamers who are just button mashing.

There is a vast difference between playing a game competitively, and playing a good competitive game.
i completely agree.....

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I hate you. You annoy the hell out of me.

Don't worry, the feeling is mutual.

SSBM was made to be a party game. It certainly is not a traditional fighter. But party games are games you play with people who are less than even casual video gamers. You play party games to have a good time, share silly laughs, and ultimately anyone wins.

That is not Competitive Melee by any stretch of the imagination. It doesn't have anything to do with "trying" to make it to be something else. It is what it is, a very competitive fighter with a ridiculous learning curve where the best players always win and people who have not put ridiculous amounts of time into the game can never compete.

...and what exactly would you classify Brawl as? Are you basically saying that it is not a party game because it is "serious business?"

In terms of Melee's competitive scene, no crap it is completely different, but the competitive version was USER CREATED. It was the manipulation of exploits and keying in on things other people would not have known about unless they dug into the game and explored certain things. The ONLY exception to this rule was short hop and fast fall, because anyone who has played any game with a sensitive joystick should know that you are able to adjust the height of your jump by how much pressure you place on the joystick. You can SHFF in Sunshine! :laugh:

The execution and precision in GG and SF are not to be compared with Melee. They're completely different, there are no quartercircles or semicircles or buffering moves with other moves... likewise GG and SF don't require the same kind of technical prowess as the **** that M2K does to show off between stocks, perfect moonwalk into a perfectly timed FF into a jump to another FF to a perfect waveland, so on and so forth.

They're different, one can argue that it's harder to perfect SF and GG "tech prowess" but as far as I know there aren't too many people who have perfected Smash's tech skill. Either Smash players suck or being perfect at it is hard.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most SF and GG combos just waiting for your opening and performing a set, specific, unchanging button input?

By contrast, Darkrain combos to death from a hit more consistently than any other player I've seen. These combos are always different, they start with the first hit, but then after that he has to be creative, choose the right moves, follow the opponent's DI, and ultimately be perfect with timing and execution. These are skills untested in GG and SF...

There is no argument for why they are better or more competitive fighters, they're just traditional. They're different.

I brought this up because we are talking competitive aspects of the game. I brought up those two games as a comparison as they are both competitive heavy games. The thing is though, regardless of how you pull off the techs or not, Melee MAY be competitive, but once again, it had to be USER CREATED. Street Fighter and Guilty Gear do not necessarily have their skills as hidden as Melee did. It can be ARGUED that they did, but the games are both arcade fighters, where all the focus was placed in constructing the metagame of the FIGHTING part. Since Smash is a party game, the fighting elements that make it competitive were most likely hidden seeing as how a party game is not to be taken as seriously as an actual arcade fighter. The game is too busy being distracted by other elements that give it a party feel, and as such, not too much was placed on making the actual metagame more technical. I believe this is why Brawl is in the condition that it is.

Melee is the exception because users created the competitive scene. Can Brawl have one? With all the stuff removed, I sincerely doubt it due to the common disinterest many around here seem to have in towards making it better.

The drive to win the match no longer matters. You can try and try to get really good at Brawl but ultimately there is no learning curve and anyone can win by getting lucky. That, to me, is more frustrating than losing to someone who is actually way better than I am.

I have no response here because I agree.

His vision is ignorant in my opinion.

Who gives a crap what you think about his opinion? He didn't make this game for you, he made this game for himself which just so happens to cater to the casual scene. That is what I don't understand. Your opinion on what Sakurai personally does is completely pointless. He had a vision, and he carried out his vision. You should have saw it coming because he practically told you how it was going to go down.

I'm not speaking for everyone here, but SSBM is a party game outside of the competitive scene. Before I knew about the scene, I used to win a lot and lose a lot, and either way I would laugh and have a good time. That wasn't enough for Sakurai, though.

He felt the need to betray my entire community. I don't think that Nintendo nor Brawl will sell any better because the game is not competitive. I don't see any good coming from it. There's no good reason.

"Wow. Melodrama at it's ugliest."

Wow. Melodrama at its ugliest. Who are you?? What makes you think you're some kind of messenger of truth, half your message is "you won't change anyone's mind," and the other half is talking about the bitter pill of truth? What a hideous contradiction.

The pill thing was an expression. Also, I am the messenger of truth. :p

Basically, he doesn't want to reward people for practicing and learning the game. He made it shallow and boring. And no, there is a third option. Play Brawl for fun, play Melee to compete. stfu, "wallow in despair." Who are you?? You are the worst.

Exactly.

Also, if there was a third option, then WHY are you here debating with me over Brawl's competitive nature if the option is so simple to acheive? "What a hideous contradiction."
My posts are in white.

Every competitive player should just ignore LavisFiend. Seriously, ever since he got here he just goes around telling people how much the competitive mindset is horrible.
Very mature there Mookierah. Why stop at lieing when you can just as easily call me a "meanie doo doo head" and have the same impact?

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
This = me throughout entire Melee lifespan. I don't miss Melee in the slightest, no matter how "anti-competitive" it sounds.
So, you admit that you basically like Brawl better because you were discouraged by being constantly beaten in Melee?

Scar

#HarveyDent
Conveniently in white so I can't copy them in quotes. All I know is that you said that Smash was a party game no matter what we try to make of it, and I responded with "Melee is not a party game." Which I clearly demonstrated.

Then you said you weren't arguing that.. so you're saying what, that Brawl is a party game? And that Melee isn't? Well that's what I'm trying to say by my thread, and what everyone else who makes the same thread wants to say. Because there are people out there who would argue that.

Or maybe you're saying that Smash's competitive scene was made by the users, but that's just semantics. The game that was sold allows for high-level competitive play. Its sequel does not. So my whole thing was, "Please don't even call Melee a party game. That's n00b ignorant garbage."

The notion that Sakurai made the game for himself is bizzare. You really think HAL and Nintendo told him to make the game however he wanted? He makes the games for the community, and yes he betrayed the competitive community. He deliberately hurt us without adding anything. He took out the competitive game for no good reason, I mean I'd call that betrayal easily.

And wow way to try to quote me back at myself twice. The one time it could have worked, but this time was a stretch:

So, you admit that you basically like Brawl better because you were discouraged by being constantly beaten in Melee?
I think he is. I think a lot of Brawl guys will admit that too. They don't have a problem with it. I guess Sakurai noticed that.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Very mature there Mookierah. Why stop at lieing when you can just as easily call me a "meanie doo doo head" and have the same impact?
Because you aren't a meanie doo doo head. Instead you are a bullheaded, ignorant, anti-competitive asshat that likes to present strawman arguments and blanket statements as factual evidence to support your claims, and in general, are a thorn to the communities side because you have yet to acknowledge much of anything from people that debate with you. That's why I specifically told people not to, cause if they did it would only make the thread go downhill fast.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Hell, to be honest, I was looking forward to Brawl because I was getting tired of being beaten by players with years of experience over me. Then when Brawl came out and the skill difference between us slightly decreased...I realized that I valued the quality of Melee over my ability to win in a game I don't like as much.

Enoc.gt

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3263 7934 7408
That sucks that the creator tried to diminish competitive play like that. I mean, it is a FIGHTING game. If someone spends countless hours practicing to become better at a game, that person deserves the WIN. They tried to do the same thing with snaking in Mario Kart.

I know it is not all about winning, and SmashBros is supposed to be a party game but, going out of your way to make the game balanced for weaker players is too much. I like the crazyness and randomness that goes on with items and many players gaming at the same time, but I also like the speed and combos you could pull off in Melee.

The online ladder system should have been made something like having the option to choose whether you want to play a friendly match or something to count for ladder. Many games already do this and it works fine.

I knew brawl's competitiveness wouldn't be the same... After all, advanced moves, like WD, are all glitches of the game, right?

shatoga

Smash Cadet
It was meant to be a party game.That's why there IS 1 hit KO items and crazy stages. Don't get pissed at the guy for doing what he wants with a game, hell i'm just thankful he's made the game.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
How a man with his mindset gained control of a fighting game is beyond insanity. His childish philosophy towards competition should have been a sign to his colleagues that he is clearly an irresponsible choice for overseeing a franchise that has garnered numerous MLG tournaments and thousands of hardcore smashers around the world.

"if sakuray dont want brawl to be compatiton, then y do ppl want it to be? i dont undarstand"

This is what C.Y. posted above in this thread. I think this is an excellent question and I find myself asking the smash community this everyday. It's an utter joke that we're embracing this game and allowing it to replace melee competitively. Brawl is not just an inferior game, it cowers in the shadows of melee.

I do find brawl to be fun, but it by no means should replace melee in every smashfest and tournament from this point on. It should be played on the side, and melee should continue with tournaments and MLGs.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I do find brawl to be fun, but it by means should replace melee in every smashfest and tournament from this point on. It should be played on the side, and melee should continue with tournaments and MLGs.
That's easier said than done though. All the new players will want to get things going with Brawl. It will be very hard to curb that and still use Melee as the competitive standard. It's not impossible, but it's not going to be easy either.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
It was meant to be a party game.That's why there IS 1 hit KO items and crazy stages. Don't get pissed at the guy for doing what he wants with a game, hell i'm just thankful he's made the game.
Wouldn't you be pissed at Steven Spielberg if Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull turned out to be a piece of ****? You wouldn't be thankful that the movie was made, you'd be pissed that it had so much potential and failed miserably to meet your expectations built up from the first three great films.

The Fear

Smash Cadet
Thats so true. People should stop at that line and realize this.

Also, I'm amazed. Some people think the guy is a bad game designer because he promotes FUN instead of competition. This is absurd, its mind boggling that people can think that way.

Because if you didn't know, games have been made for fun, not for competition.

People then decide to compete with it. People shouldn't even be whining about something like that. You compete or you don't, thats your choice, get in or get out of the competitive scene of Brawl. There is nothing else to argue about anymore.
Okay Just A few Requests
1.Do us all a favor and turn your brain on next time before making a post. No one is taking away from his inital creation, good game designer. However he strikes me as an old guy with too much power that has no longer has a clue what he's doing.

2. Completely ignoring the fact that competition could possibly be fun. and In fact, is very common in modern day society. I.E. Such as football, or other sports. Not only that, but these are things that most people are taught from a very early age. The emphasis should be to get competitve but have as much fun while doing it. So what does sakurai the bridge troll do? He basically makes victory random. You can get your *** handed to you by virtually anybody. More so as "luck". So what's this guy really promoting? What's he showing the kids? That things in life are free? You dont have to work hard to get results? Luck is fun?? He keeps talking about fun and everybody wins!? Yea cause thats the way it is in the real world. Thats why we dont have poor people or bums or unfortunate events that happen. Everyone wins!! .......way to retire sakurai .......we all hate you

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Scar: What the hell man? I wasn't trying to prevent you from quoting me because of text color! XD

Although, it makes things much cleaner when there are breakaways.

and what I meant by that was that although a competitive scene can evolve, the party game will still exist. You cannot eliminate how the game was truly made. There will always be two games: The party one, and the competitive one.

In regards to Sakurai: I would consider the guy a casual player due to the fact he seems to be a very busy man. Because Brawl is made with the casual audience in mind, and him being a casual, by default he made the game in his vision, and that vision was from the eyes of a casual player.

@Mookierah: See that is where you are wrong. Just because I find everything that comes out of your mouth as complete and utter ******** doesn't mean what other competitive players say gets the same result.

Ya see Mookierah, I am far from anti-competitive. Just because someone doesen't bend over and consume every word that flies out of your mouth while taking the shaft of conformity that is "lol, mookie is awesurm cuz he smart I hope I B MOD SUMDAE" doesen't mean what other AUTHENTIC competitive players say has the same response I give you.

Ankoku and Yuna are fine examples of people who have more merit about what they are talking about then someone like you can ever have. I would much rather take what they say as authentic then some little douchebag with crappy hair and a belief that he knows what he is talking about as authentic. Ya see? I can flame too.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
Also note how no one plays Halo 3 now.

Our GAMING COLLEGE went from being Halo 2 oriented to NOTHING Halo. Halo 3 killed Halo for our school.

I fear the same awaits Brawl.
YOUR school does determine whether or not people still play Halo 3 or not. Also, the shooter genre is SO heavily saturated right now. Gears, Resistance, Halo, Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, ect, ect, ect.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't you be pissed at Steven Spielberg if Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull turned out to be a piece of ****? You wouldn't be thankful that the movie was made, you'd be pissed that it had so much potential and failed miserably to meet your expectations built up from the first three great films.
True, you got me there. But to me Brawl doesn't suck.

Enoc.gt

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3263 7934 7408
hahahaha
thats funny.

but anyways, when melee first came out, we didnt know about all these things we can do now..
don't you think that over time, new things will be discovered?

RDK

Smash Hero
About the OP:

Great research, Gimpy, and I understand your point, but it only serves to highlight the fact that Sakurai's intentions were clear from the beginning. He consistently ignores the competitive community, and it shows, with the addition of tripping, etc. Things like that were clearly done to piss us of.

Sakurai set out to run the Smash franchise's metagame potential into the god**** ground. Wellm congratulations, Sakurai. Mission accomplished

Vijin

Smash Ace
Sakurai's just a scrub. Reading his thoughts on competitive gaming just makes me want brawl to be more competitive than ever.

RDK

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double-post, but Lavis, why do you insist on being an enormous d0uchebag? Maybe you should listen to Mookierah more often. He's seen the ins and outs of this discussion more than anyone here, including you.

Less flaming, more intelligent discussion.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Sorry for the double-post, but Lavis, why do you insist on being an enormous d0uchebag? Maybe you should listen to Mookierah more often. He's seen the ins and outs of this discussion more than anyone here, including you.

Less flaming, more intelligent discussion.
I refuse to listen to someone who I can't see as a valid person to give off reasoning.

Besides, he started the flaming by spreading slander that was completely unnecessary.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai obviously went out of his way to make the game more random. Even if he didn't intentionally mean to gimp the competitive scene, he wanted to create something where less skilled players could win, so that's why there are more one hit kill items, much easier recovery, and such.

Brawl ends up being a great example of the differences between Western and Japanese culture. The Japanese as a whole are less competitive and less focused on winning and losing. Their baseball games can end in ties, for example. That's something that never happens in America.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Sakurai doesn't like the competitive community, but he doesn't plot against it.
Did you not read the interview? Have you not been paying attention this entire time? Here is the link in case you somehow missed it

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=637

Are you even aware that the E for all demo version of brawl had competitive elements in it and then they were all completely removed before the game's final release? Sakurai clearly used everyone who played the demo to see what parts of the game still didn't meet his "definition" of fun. Once he saw all the techniques noted by gimpyfish and the others who played it, he quickly and thoroughly sought to rid his perfect game of them so it could remain cleansed of the evil of competitiveness. His very opinions BLATANTLY show he did this purposefully and with the intent to destroy the competitive nature of smash.

Sakurai has no morals. He is a man who only considers his own views to be fitting even when making a game he knew built up an unthinkably large fanbase. Instead of appealing to the people who are anticipating this game the most and who actually care, he chose to please himself and at the same time appeal to the unskillful demographic when anyone with half a brain knows that the millions of 12 year olds purchasing this game would buy it regardless if there was fast falling to L-cancel or dash dancing.

There is no justification for what he did. He took actions based on his own ridiculous thoughts and selfishly made the game for himself instead of it's biggest fans.

Samochan

Smash Master
No matter how people play, I want everyone to be
happy! Is this asking for too much?

Us competitive players being unhappy with the game kinda killed Sakurai's ideal of a game, lolz.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4222167&postcount=35

I also agree to this post.

Now for some analogy time. For some reason MP3 was the least enjoyable game out of the three primes that came out. And guess if it was about the dumbed down game rather than the wiimote. >_> What I love in MP1 is how much depth the game has and I do think that comparing MP1 and MP3 to Melee and Brawl is a good analogy. MP3 is fun and all till someone gets hurt. (lol, a bit out of contex, but I wanted to say that) For some reason OoT has also been hailed as the best game ever made and it has tons of stuff you can do the developers didn't really intend you to do, while Wind Waker didn't. Sounds familiar?

What I don't like on games is where they purposefully try to limit the gamer from exploring the game thoroughly. I understand that when someone breaks their game, they might get a bit pissed at that, but in the end it just shows how much dedication and love gamers show for the game. But what's even worse if they purposefully limit the gamer from performing things within the game's boundaries. It's like Lara Croft suddenly lost her ability to crouch and crawl cause players have been using that to pop up in above levels in Tomb Raider 3 and 4 and thus speed run and sequence break. From not being able to stop movement by crouching, to not being able to aerial dodge to any direction we want, to how clunky and unresponsive the cube controller feels compared to melee only shows how limiting the new game engine is. I don't like the new direction nintendo is taking, their games are getting more linear and from easy-to-access to plain dumbed down. I don't feel anything if I beat bosses on Corruption on Hyper Mode, which are mostly just easy to read and frustrating, compared to the struggle and feeling of elation me and my buddy had when we finally beat Omega Pirate on hard mode the first time (and we basically jumped up from our chairs and screamed).

If game is hard, it shouldn't be frustrating. If game is easy, it shouldn't be dumbed down. Melee and Pokemon are great examples of easy to access games, yet can be difficult to master, which should appeal to all audiences and in the end, make even more cash to nintendo. Unless there is some conspiracy going around that making us feel bored to the games quicker, they think we'd buy more games... I just might go for the PS2 for it's humongous game collection if this goes on, or not buy any console myself. >_>

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Also note how no one plays Halo 3 now.

Our GAMING COLLEGE went from being Halo 2 oriented to NOTHING Halo. Halo 3 killed Halo for our school.

I fear the same awaits Brawl.

Sorry to double post, but Call of Duty 4 killed Halo 3. It had nothing to do with Halo really, just COD4 just turned out to be a deeper and more addictive game.

Haha, I love it when people don't like it when the creator changes something in THEIR game, and the fans say the creator was wrong for doing it.

It's Sakurai's game people, he can do whatever the **** he wants with it and it won't be wrong, because he'll call each and every shot.

Think of it this way, Sakurai could've just said "Screw it" and cancelled Brawl for all of us? Now what would you have? A less competetive Brawl? Or no Brawl at all?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Sorry to double post, but Call of Duty 4 killed Halo 3. It had nothing to do with Halo really, just COD4 just turned out to be a deeper and more addictive game.
I would say that had a lot to do with the fact that Halo 3 wasn't as deep and as good as COD4. The problem with smash is that this is the only game series like it, and thusly has no competition. If Capcom released a smash-like game featuring all of the memorable Capcom characters with none of the randomized nonsense of Brawl you can bet your *** that a lot of people would switch over.
Haha, I love it when people don't like it when the creator changes something in THEIR game, and the fans say the creator was wrong for doing it.
It's their game, but that doesn't make it a good decision. We are mad because Sakurai made a mistake, and a very big one at that. IF he REALLY was so big into people playing it how they want to, he could have easily left in, or made similar options to the things he took out of melee, and given the PLAYERS the option to decide to use them or not. By dumbing it down and simplifying the game so much, it really doesn't help anyone, as it just hurts people who would like to play the game competitively.

Scar

#HarveyDent
and what I meant by that was that although a competitive scene can evolve, the party game will still exist. You cannot eliminate how the game was truly made. There will always be two games: The party one, and the competitive one.
That's my favorite part of Melee. That's exactly why I don't understand Sakurai's vision, don't respect it, and am upset by it.

Vijin

Smash Ace
I just find it really stupid that the community that will (well, could have been) be playing brawl LONG after the normal casual has moved on to other games just got sh*t on.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman

It's Sakurai's game people, he can do whatever the **** he wants with it and it won't be wrong, because he'll call each and every shot.

Think of it this way, Sakurai could've just said "Screw it" and cancelled Brawl for all of us? Now what would you have? A less competetive Brawl? Or no Brawl at all?
We wouldn't even have to bother with trying to keep melee as the main competitive smash game if that were to happen.

Also, games are made for the fans. If Brawl were just tic-tac-toe would that make it right because Sakurai wanted it that way? Just because he is the game designer doesn't mean he is mighter then thou and impossible of doing wrong.

That would have been awesome.
Your opinion, not mine buddy.

(And yes, I am glad they took out Wavedashing and all those other glitches incase anyone is wondering. Yes, they are glitches, they were not put in there to make people better, they were unintentional overlooks and are exploits of the flaws in the game's engine, I.E. a glitch.)

Vijin

Smash Ace
Haha, I love it when people don't like it when the creator changes something in THEIR game, and the fans say the creator was wrong for doing it
If they say he's wrong, then yeah, he's wrong. If he's not making the game for the fans, who is he making it for, then? Himself?

Think of it this way, Sakurai could've just said "Screw it" and cancelled Brawl for all of us? Now what would you have? A less competitive Brawl? Or no Brawl at all?
Brawl is fun right now. I'll give it that. But there's no reason why it can't be fun and competitive at the same time.
I know that some skill is involved in the game, as I can repeatedly beat my roommate, just like in melee.
That's one reason why I don't play double dash. It was fun until I discovered that first place will always get gimped because whoever is in last place will get an extremely good item which will ultimately help him get first place. What the hell is the point in playing then? lame.

Vijin

Smash Ace
Your opinion, not mine buddy.

(And yes, I am glad they took out Wavedashing and all those other glitches incase anyone is wondering. Yes, they are glitches, they were not put in there to make people better, they were unintentional overlooks and are exploits of the flaws in the game's engine, I.E. a glitch.)
"Glitches," "Tricks," whatever you want to call them that made the game more than what it was. It helped turn it into a deep fighting game. Combos in street fighter were not intended either. Instead of pulling a Sakurai, however, they knew that they were on to something, and kept going with it. Sakurai had come across a great thing, and instead, dismisses it. It's a shame, really.

ecafrusehtrednu

Smash Rookie
I'm sure it's been said a lot of times before, but this is Sakurai's game. Ignorant or not, he could make it whatever he wishes.

You already know this, but Sakurai could care less of what the competitive players think. The casual gamers (and competitive, just the ones who don't complain) outnumber the competitive gamers zero to none. So you guys could gripe all you want, but nothing's going to happen. No Melee 2.0 or Brawl Competitive Expansion **** or whatever. If Capcom makes a Smash-like game, then go ahead and bite it, but Smash will stay on top because of it's simplicity, how it allows gamers with less 'skill' to win, and the fact that it was the first of it's species.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Brawl is fun right now. I'll give it that. But there's no reason why it can't be fun and competitive at the same time.
That just about sums it up.
And why are glitches bad? Why do we have to be bound by the creator's intent? It's all BS. If there weren't those "glitches" in melee, there wouldn't be much of a smash scene, as it would just be a party game that will on occasion have tournaments at anime conventions.

Glitches =/= Bad

Glitches can add to a game. Sure, some can be bad, but you guys are just so far into this "honorable play" mentality that you can't accept that perhaps these aren't bad things.

I'm really sick of the glitch argument, cause it isn't even an argument. It doesn't matter what you define advanced techniques as, it's all semantics, what matters is that these things added a lot to the game, and if you don't want to use them you don't have to. Nobody sat you down on youtube and forced you to watch pro vids of melee. Nobody raided your house to beat you and all of your friends with them and then demanded you to play like they do. All of your resentment for the competitive community is entirely unfounded, and yet you hold onto it as you would religious beliefs.

People need to get over this crap, mature a bit, and move on.

@ecafrusehtrednu- You added absolutely nothing to the thread. Seriously, others have said that exact same message. Sakurai did what he wanted with the game, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a bad decision. That doesn't make him infallible. The fact that he forcibly tried to impose this on some of his BIGGEST FANS is a big slap to the face.

Top Bottom