• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saltus Combo (testers wanted) *please read thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Because the ftilt doesn't give you much SDI, actually.

A better question is, why aren't more people SDIing out of G&W's bair? That thing gives you altogether too much chance of escaping.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Unavailable....
Grr.....

:sniper:
I felt the same way....

You're lucky cuz one of the characters featured is Marth. ;)
I also have Jigglypuff, Ice Climber and Kirby.
****?
ESCAPABLE!!!

Lol this is very clever, but it has some flaws in it.

There's a certain threshold for Shiek where if she footstools too low to the ground, she cannot reach the opponent and hit them with a falling bair because they will have enough time to react to it and avoid it by rolling, standing up, or get up attack. So, by that virtue, most characters off the bat that you try this on will fail unless they are at a higher % simply because she will footstool them too low to the ground.

Another thing to note is that it is hard for her to truly footstool someone out of Ftilt if they are not fairly close to her. If someone SDI's Up and Away from her, there's a fair chance she does not have enough time to get there and footstool. If someone was being super tricky, they could SDI downwards, forcing you to Ftilt them again (otherwise they would usually be too low for you to footstool them and connect with the Bair) where they can SDI Down Away or even mix it up and SDI Up and Towards or hard Away.

Something this also doesn't account for is the ability to DI after footstools. Not only does this mean that characters can DI and SDI themselves towards the edge, where this would stop working, but it also means that it turns this combo into a guessing game. For example, if Shiek is facing to the right, footstools, and the opponent DI's Right, she has to move with her opponent almost immediately or else she will not be able to land the Bair. If she thinks the opponent will go to the right and instead goes to the left, she will most likely miss there too.
Wow.....wow....

legion598

Smash Ace
to DI out of the tilt lock arent u supposed to DI toward sheik to get behind her? If thats the case, then wouldnt that just make the foot stool easier to land? and a final question can this be done out of tilt lock or do u need a fresh Ftilt or something?

swordgard

Smash Hero
*I have read it before... still doesn't work.

If this does work then why aren't people DIing out of the f-tilt lock?
True, but the footstool doesnt have the range of another Ftilt, weird though is that both sheik and zelda have weird SDI moves(did you know zelda's bair/fair CANT be SDI-ed at all?!?! ) .

But the bair, the bair has alot of SDI possible on it. Your still doomed there. Also i dont see this combo being a killing percent one if MK DI's the up smash and momentum cancels properly. Finaly, has anyone refuted the fact that it is impossible in frame by frame mode? I dont have anyone to really test with these days :S .

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Because the ftilt doesn't give you much SDI, actually.

A better question is, why aren't more people SDIing out of G&W's bair? That thing gives you altogether too much chance of escaping.
All the good players SDI GW's bair and Snakes' nair without breaking a sweat.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, only the good players can do something any mediocre player should be able to pull off.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
True, but the footstool doesnt have the range of another Ftilt, weird though is that both sheik and zelda have weird SDI moves(did you know zelda's bair/fair CANT be SDI-ed at all?!?! ) .

But the bair, the bair has alot of SDI possible on it. Your still doomed there. Also i dont see this combo being a killing percent one if MK DI's the up smash and momentum cancels properly. Finaly, has anyone refuted the fact that it is impossible in frame by frame mode? I dont have anyone to really test with these days :S .
The thing that you are leaving out is that is that the Bair is similar to Sonic's jab.
lol... tipper USmash is pretty legit. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175241

swordgard

Smash Hero

TKD

Smash Lord
Tipper usmash is NOT legit (edit: not a legit KO, I mean). Tell the MK to DI down. DI'ing the sweetspot down sends MK into the weaker hit, which I think he can also DI.

I knew this since I tested Sheik's grab release into sliding usmash.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wow.....wow....
It's true Bro, they all hamper the viability of this combo.

Also, to whoever said Shiek could Infinite Wario from a grab release, it's actually false. She technically can grab release to Footstool, but after that a falling Bair/Needle Storm is not guaranteed since we can DI the footstool.

Also, I am perplexed that people still fail to SDI out of G&W's Bair, but I gotta admit it is deceiving at times if you pick the wrong direction.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't get how you're "DIing the footstool." More than likely you're actually just controlling your horizontal drift while falling after the footstool.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't get how you're "DIing the footstool." More than likely you're actually just controlling your horizontal drift while falling after the footstool.
Basically that, it sounds catchier to just say you DI the footstool instead of controlling horizontal drift after the footstool lol. If you want to be technical, yes I am referring to that.

saviorslegacy

Basically that, it sounds catchier to just say you DI the footstool instead of controlling horizontal drift after the footstool lol. If you want to be technical, yes I am referring to that.
uh oh... should have called it by what it really was without making it sound catchy. >.<

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
uh oh... should have called it by what it really was without making it sound catchy. >.<
Calling Snake's utilt "The Broken Kick of Doom OMG over 9000 power level" compared to Utilt doesn't change anything about the move lol.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Calling Snake's utilt "The Broken Kick of Doom OMG over 9000 power level" compared to Utilt doesn't change anything about the move lol.
It does sound however that much sexier!

Back on topic, SDI+DI footstool+DI upsmash make this combo no longer 37 to death nor inescapable.

Sasha

Smash Journeyman

Back on topic, SDI+DI footstool+DI upsmash make this combo no longer 37 to death nor inescapable.
More vids less complaining.

I do believe you're right, but everyone's saying this and no one's showing it. :ohwell:

Browny

Smash Hater
so my testing kinda agrees with hotgarbages numbers...

from what i see, the other character can always perform one of the tech moves before the bair hits.

so the combo becomes ftilt -> tech chase. Wouldnt it just be safer to always go for more ftilts or a utilt instead? since at the %'s in where a tech chase would lead to a usmash being able to KO, you can either DI, or the ftilt will knock you back far enough, to avoid any further follow ups.

This just seems to have a low risk, low reward scenario going about it. especially when you consider the amount of ftilt-> anything true combos, relying on the enemy not DI'ing properly or knowing how to tech roll before the bair hits seems hardly worth it.

saviorslegacy

so my testing kinda agrees with hotgarbages numbers...

from what i see, the other character can always perform one of the tech moves before the bair hits.

so the combo becomes ftilt -> tech chase. Wouldnt it just be safer to always go for more ftilts or a utilt instead? since at the %'s in where a tech chase would lead to a usmash being able to KO, you can either DI, or the ftilt will knock you back far enough, to avoid any further follow ups.

This just seems to have a low risk, low reward scenario going about it. especially when you consider the amount of ftilt-> anything true combos, relying on the enemy not DI'ing properly or knowing how to tech roll before the bair hits seems hardly worth it.
Well... at lower percents you would but at higher it would be more like f-tilt> f-tilt> u-tilt. That however means you have to approach again. Which is unsafe.

As for the tech chase I have evolved it a little into this.

f-tilt> footstool> DI hard left/right> Needle> land and wait for them to do something

If you hit their back with the Needle they'll bounce in to you.
This can also be a set up for the chain (not a true combo).

It's better than just f-tilt tech chase with a plus of chain.

Then reason why you would want to do this is because it will allow you to continue doing damage while it keeps punishment at a low.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wow stop rehearsing things that are based entirely on wakeup punishes.

Jski

Smash Apprentice

What does this mean?
Any way i wanted to point this out we have evidences (all be it week in that its only shown in condition of test and not real play) that this combo works due to the videos. Now unless there is evidences that it dose not work then we must amuse it works until new evidences comes up. You can use reason only but the reasoning may not be realized to life in that what needs to be done is humanly imposable to pull off.

swordgard

Smash Hero
What does this mean?
Any way i wanted to point this out we have evidences (all be it week in that its only shown in condition of test and not real play) that this combo works due to the videos. Now unless there is evidences that it dose not work then we must amuse it works until new evidences comes up. You can use reason only but the reasoning may not be realized to life in that what needs to be done is humanly imposable to pull off.

WE DO have evidence that not only can you ROLL before the bair even lands. Or heck, you can even just stand up.

Combo doesnt work.

Also, you dont even need evidence to know that SDI>this combo because of the bair if it DID hit.

saviorslegacy

I like the name :(

Savior, they can DI needles where ever they want.
*ruins idea of tech chase
T-T
owell.....

To Ankoku:
I am researching footstool and all that we can use it for. (Trying to improve the Savior Combo.)

To infi-tan:
I was going to call it the Saltus combo but then two people said that Savior Combo sounded good. So I was like... mehhhhh. I finally changed it to Savior Combo after two days of it's finding.

Besides I think it sounds pretty good.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Naming things after someone is so 2001-03 really. It only happened during Melee, do you see any Brawl "ATs" that are named after someone?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Ken Combo was in Melee...

And Fiction didn't deem it himself, he doesn't even like people calling it that.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Not sure about Gonzo, Meta. Although I think he's been playing more Brawl+.

Milln

Smash Champion
Ken was also the four time (At least I think it was four) world champion, so his signature is justified. >,>

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I also missed the part where any of this mattered.
Why not just call it the "Kind of only sometimes works combo" or KoOSWC?

Milln

Smash Champion
I also missed the part where any of this mattered.
Why not just call it the "Kind of only sometimes works combo" or KoOSWC?
It matters as much as whether this is a combo or a string.

But I like that name. =O You guys should use it.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Jeeze, I just read 20 pages of garbage. This isn't a difficult combo to test. Does anyone know if this combo works yet? Specifically on MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom