• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

Shel

Smash Cadet
I wonder if she'll ever get any Ice abilities this time around. Probably not, but it'd be interesting to see.
I'm going to say it's very likely considering we now have custom moves. I can't imagine them not capitalizing on that and giving her different "beams".

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'm going to say it's very likely considering we now have custom moves. I can't imagine them not capitalizing on that and giving her different "beams".
Considering you can change Kirby's swallow to an ice breathe, it would be awesome if you can change Samus' Charge Shot to any of the beams like Ice, Plasma, or Wave Beam. Ice freezing opponents temporarily, Plasma passing through to hit multiple opponents, and Wave going through solid objects would be interesting.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Have we seen Samus's down tilit or forward smash in Smash 4? There's so much to look through so I was wondering if any of you might know off hand.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Considering you can change Kirby's swallow to an ice breathe, it would be awesome if you can change Samus' Charge Shot to any of the beams like Ice, Plasma, or Wave Beam. Ice freezing opponents temporarily, Plasma passing through to hit multiple opponents, and Wave going through solid objects would be interesting.
Yeah there are the custom move this time around, but when playing online those custom attacks get disabled, so i would prefer an ice beam that is part of her "official moveset" rather than a simple modificaion of her attacks.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
A quick question:

Have we seen the Screw Attack yet?
Yes, it appeared during the Direct twice on Tuesday as far as I can tell right now, but it was shown in a way that made it very difficult to see exactly what it looks like. However, maybe that's just because they're still working on it, and how the Screw Attack looks/performs isn't set in stone yet. Or it could be more of Sakurai's trolling, who knows. The first time was during the For Glory section of the Direct up in the top right corner as seen here: http://gfycat.com/EssentialWhimsicalJackal. The second was near the end of the Smash Run segment, but it happens right as the screen fades to black so you can't really see anything: http://gfycat.com/FairFloweryIndigobunting. You also can get a look at Samus' new running animation.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I really hope missile cancelling is back. Does anyone know if they were possible in Brawl?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
That's a shame. It really helped Samus apply pressure from afar and approach safely where it would've been much more risky otherwise. Hopefully it's better this time around.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Soooooooooooooo figured this pertained to here too, but didn't think I needed to make it a separate topic.

http://smashboards.com/threads/zero-suit-samus-victory-theme.353020/

Assuming everyone gets unique/updated victory themes, what do you think Samus' will be? My answer from that thread:

Power Suit Samus

Not that I don't expect them to change it from the classic Item Acquisition Fanfare, but hope they at least update it to this:

Zero Suit Samus

This plays in every Prime game when Zero Suit Samus appears.

And if the trend of Sakurai's complete blindness to the Prime series continues:

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
Soooooooooooooo figured this pertained to here too, but didn't think I needed to make it a separate topic.

http://smashboards.com/threads/zero-suit-samus-victory-theme.353020/

Assuming everyone gets unique/updated victory themes, what do you think Samus' will be? My answer from that thread:
I feel like the Prime track better suits a smash victory theme (probably because all of the Prime tracks are magnificent), but with the general Other M direction Samus has taken thus far in the upcoming titles, the last track seems like a definitive possibility to me.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I initially thought something from Zero Mission would go to ZSS, while Samus would get either Other M or Prime music.

Truth be told I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they share the same Item Acquisition Fanfare theme again.

At least hope it's not as... trumpet-y.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Bring back the awesome morph ball bomb recovery from Melee but with respectable tweaks. That was too much fun.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Well it's a minor buff, but it seems that Tethers can't be guarded against now, at least by other Tethers.

Edit:

"Pic of the day. Tether recovery? Yes, you can! And from even longer range than before. Multiple fighters can latch on--who actually grabs hold is determined by the same rules as the standard ledge grab."

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

Well it's a minor buff, but it seems that Tethers can't be guarded against now, at least by other Tethers.

Edit:

"Pic of the day. Tether recovery? Yes, you can! And from even longer range than before. Multiple fighters can latch on--who actually grabs hold is determined by the same rules as the standard ledge grab."
It may be me, but that animation looks different and pretty awesome, i can't really wait to play as Samus!

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
That tether is crazy. I speculate short hop Zair will be a very strong option now, if this picture is any indication of its range.
Here's hoping that her short hop doesn't cover almost as much height as her full hop. That's one of my main gripes with the character.

ibmutt

Smash Cadet
I can't find an image gallery thread so I'll post my pictures here. If Samus jumps, she's grounded for 2 frames before she's airborne. She grounded for 3 frames in SBB and SBBM. In SSBB, Samus is grounded for 4 frames.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Anyone else noted arm cannon animations when shooting missiles?
I really love how they brought back that small detail from Melee, heck, even in SSB64 the cannon had animations, it bugged me that in Brawl that wasn't present, i wonder why it was removed to begin with.

ibmutt

Smash Cadet
@ I ibmutt How sure are you of your results? This could be interesting.
I've recorded jumps for every character I could find in the SSB4 direct. For Samus, I'm almost certain that's her jump from the start till end. A strong reason is because I could look through 11 of her jumps. My confidence in my method in general, which was used to find these frames, is high. Because using my method, the frame data I found matched what was recorded for characters in SSBB. My method isn't complicated or difficult. I just want to explain it properly so anyone can do it easily.

I've recorded jumps for every character I could find in the SSB4 direct. For Samus, I'm almost certain that's her jump from the start till end. A strong reason is because I could look through 11 of her jumps. My confidence in my method in general, which was used to find these frames, is high. Because using my method, the frame data I found matched what was recorded for characters in SSBB. My method isn't complicated or difficult. I just want to explain it properly so anyone can do it easily.
My frame analysis was wrong. I checked the fps for the video on 4 separate programs and frame rate is 29.97 for each except the video editor I used which said 60 fps. Apparently, Youtube doesn't even support 60 fps yet. This means for example, the 2nd picture is actually 2 frames after the 1st instead of 1. My method involves frame counting so the game needs to be recorded at 60/59.94 fps. My method worked fine for the SSBB videos because I personally recorded then at 59.94 fps. I could still show you the method. But I would understand if you didn't trust me. Sorry for wasting you and anyone else's time.

Last edited by a moderator:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The fact that you went to such lengths to begin with more than make up for any mistakes. Given time and perhaps better recording (or even until the game comes out), I'm sure your method will continue to work wonders.

I will however ask that you not post consecutively (double post) before anyone else does, however. Next time just edit your last post with whatever else you want to add.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'd like it if they improved Samus' Morphball Bombs. If they could drop down faster you could rain bombs over somone's head. That or make them more powerful. Their effectiveness in Brawl was limited.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Depends on who you're asking. People like Xyro preached that Bombs were useless and should never be used.

I used them for mobility (especially on platform heavy stages), mix-ups. recovery and edge-guarding (Bomb > D-air/etc.).

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I just thought of something badass.

What if, while charging the beam, you press down-B at any moment and a cluster of bombs just fall in every direction?

Also, the beam should be chargeable in mid-air.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
Looking at this picture, I think Samus can crawl in the Morph Ball now:

Looking at Samus in the Morph Ball, there are no bombs anywhere, and since Samus turns back to normal before the bomb explodes, what else could she be doing if not crawling? Usually there's some sort of trail of light when the Morph Ball moves, so it looks like Samus is either sitting still or the "trail" effect hasn't been added yet. If I'm correct, finally! Metroid can crawl!!!

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I'd assume it's just a roll unless Sakurai confirms that it's a crawl or that Samus has a new roll.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
She was seen using this as a roll during the very first showing of the game. She was charging her beam, then did the traditional Morph Ball roll. Unless this has been a placeholder, and it's shown that she can crawl with it, I'm pretty sure it'll be the same old roll. Believe me, I'd love to have the Morph Ball crawl in an official Smash game... Fingers crossed!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
She also appears rolling in Little Mac's trailer at the end. Not sure if that's valid or, again, just used for the movie animation..

Today's pic has a bomb above her, behind the arrow though.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
Today's pic has a bomb above her, behind the arrow though.
God dammit, I missed that! I have no idea why they wouldn't put in crawling in morph ball for Samus since that's a major part of her games, yet why can't she charge her beam in mid air like every other character in Smash? It's something you would expect, yet it's something I can't help feel that Nintendo would leave out for some reason, even though it's obvious to me, you know?

Top Bottom