• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I would like for her Final Smash to change. Rather than the Zero Beam, I'd like for her to use the PED system from Corruption.

It would be a "transform" style Final Smash. It would increase her speed and strength, and alter her specials to act like the Phazon attacks from Corruption:

*details*

In addition to giving Samus some interesting options and referencing Prime, this version of a Final Smash would not have to remove the "Final Smash to go Zero Suit" mechanic of the Zero Beam. As the Final Smash's active time draws to a close, there is a warning beep. If Samus taunts during this time, she vents the remaining Phazon in the suit in a cloud of blue air, that damages foes, and goes back to normal. If she fights on, the suit auto-vents after a few more seconds, and the strain placed on the suit causes it to break off, revealing Zero Suit Samus.

It would give Samus players a way to perform her Final Smash without having to enter the Zero Suit mode, if they choose not to.

I think that this sort of Final Smash would be more dynamic and interesting than a huge laser.
Too bad Prime is completely ignored aside from Frigate Orpheon. Samus' design is still based on Super Metroid.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Too bad Prime is completely ignored aside from Frigate Orpheon. Samus' design is still based on Super Metroid.
There was a color scheme based on the Dark Suit, as well. Not the shape, but aside from Wario, nobody got a differently shaped outfit.

Makes sense. Super Metroid Samus was a bad *****.

Samus should have a wall cling, and she'll have a wall cling attack where she can shoot her blaster at lets say...Falco's ground blaster speed. You can aim either diagonally up/down, horizontally, or vertically up/down.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wouldn't that just be a giant beam again?
No as it was never a giant beam in Super Metroid. I was thinking of something like the PED Suit, but it would be easier to implement from an aesthetics standpoint. As a nickname, it'd be called Hyper Install.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Power Beam: Can fire long beams in place of her charge beam. These beams also go through walls, destroy interactive environments, and are unblockable.
Missiles: What you suggested with a very large explosive hitbox.
Screw Attack: Can chain up to five Screw Attacks in a row.
Morph Ball Mode: Samus can do up to three morph ball boosts at a time.

Of course, those last two upgrades may be way too much.

And the "To ZSS Switch" needs to go.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
That's why I suggested the Corrupt Hypermode portion of the Hypermode Final Smash. Venting it before you go Corrupt would be a way for Samus Players to do a Final Smash without having to go to the Zero Suit.

edit: Oh! And as for Prime, there's also the fact that Meta Ridley is used as a boss.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Samus should have a wall cling, and she'll have a wall cling attack where she can shoot her blaster at lets say...Falco's ground blaster speed. You can aim either diagonally up/down, horizontally, or vertically up/down.
I don't really remember Samus wall-clinging in any of the Metroid games, just wall-jumping. If anything, clinging doesn't seem to fit her as a character, either. Also, what control scheme would you suggest for shooting blasters while she was clinging?

Oh! And as for Prime, there's also the fact that Meta Ridley is used as a boss.
Meta Ridley was the final boss in Metroid: Zero Mission, so that's not really 'Prime evidence' (pun intended). :-|

D

Deleted member

@Bubbaking: No, that was Robot Ridley.
Meta Ridley = cyborg Ridley
Robot Ridley = a robot created by Ridley in his likeness

They aren't even similar at all.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
What Golden said. Meta Ridley is quite different. And distinctive, so it's easy to see that it's Meta Ridley in Brawl.

:phone:

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
They weren't named (except for Kraid and Ridley, who have entire sections of Zebes named after them). However, the Ridley Robot is quite different looking, to the point of only having Ridley's general silhouette in common.

I don't think the Ridley Robot can even move, aside from its arms and neck.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
I never played the Prime games, so I simply assumed that they made this robotic Ridley move somehow to make him look cooler for Brawl.

Edit: I did start Metroid Prime 1 and I distinctly remembered seeing Ridley in the beginning whole and non-metallic.
You remember incorrectly. At the beginning, he's already got metal plating and beam-wings and all that jazz. Here's the boss fight with him, too. Complete with his name on a health bar, and the scan data for him.

Now, compare that to how he looks normally. Or, even how he looks while fully organic in Brawl

In the Prime games, he's still recognizable as Ridley, but he's been extensively outfitted as a cyborg.

Now, compare to the Ridley Robot. They're quite different. Meta Ridley is Ridley with cyborg enhancements, whereas the Ridley Robot is basically a security turret dressed up to look like Ridley.

I can't blame you for getting mixed up, though, if you never played through Prime.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Other M would disagree with you there among all the Metroid games. What I think she should be is an aggressive zoner of sorts.

And this post reminded me of why 3D Fighter combos would be so good for Smash. Her using the charge shot as part of a specific combo reminds me of Devil Jin using his lasers during a combo.
As to what type of zoner Samus should be, I feel she shouldn't really lean too much on offense or defense, I feel she should be more of an adaptive zoner offensively and defensively as it would help homage to the series.. She isn't a toolbox zoner like Link so she won't have crazy options with her projectiles but I feel if she gets morph ball for her down B that it would help her be able to do a little trapping even though she is a pressure zoner.

Her Usmash needs to be fixed in general, that move has been consistently awful for 3 games.

^I disagree. The design of the Super Metroid Suit looks much better in my opinion, that and Super Metroid Samus is superior.

Super Metroid had:

-Unlimited Screw attack, Shine Spark, Wave Beam, Ice Beam, Plasma Beam, Hyper Lasers, Light Speed Boots, ability to jump, Power Bomb, Charge bombs, Varia Suit that withstands walking in Lava.

Super Metroid Samus made Samus the most badass hunter in the galaxy. She felt severely limited in prime in comparison as she felt like a severely crippled version of herself that was reliant on having a weapon to aid her in every single situation. The 2D iterations of Samus are what made her iconic.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's not like she had half those listed things from Super Metroid in Smash anyway despite them still using the SM design, so it's kind of irrelevant here. The main things she lacked in the Primes really was just her speed (not that she's really any faster in Smash barring her ZSS form) and acrobatic abilities, but that's mainly because of the first person shooter/adventure kind of gameplay, in which they would not of mixed too well. There's the lack of stackable beams as well if you count that (except in Prime 3), but more often than not I like being able to switch beams so as to change my gameplay strategy every now and then, even though she's unquestionably more powerful with everything stacked. And with some of the exclusive powerups she had in Retro's trilogy too, as well as Prime Hunters, I definitely wouldn't call Prime Samus a "crippled version" of herself.

I find the Prime design of the Varia Suit to be superior as well, but we all have our preferences.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
*looks at it again*

Whoa, you're right. xD I don't mind the chest part though, but that's just the Brawl version of the Super design, which is meh.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
At least it's not this.

And that thing is female.
That is awful.
But in Super Metroid, she did have a variety of different abilities, and for Smash, they took her iconic abilities. But i think a new design for her beams would be cool. Like they change with your outfit color, blue for ice, green for plasma, regular color for regular beam. And so on.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That is awful.
But in Super Metroid, she did have a variety of different abilities, and for Smash, they took her iconic abilities. But i think a new design for her beams would be cool. Like they change with your outfit color, blue for ice, green for plasma, regular color for regular beam. And so on.
As long as they don't do something ugly like having the Fusion Suit's colors palette swapped onto the Varia Suit again, I'm fine with pretty much whatever alternate colors the armored Samus has.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
But i think a new design for her beams would be cool. Like they change with your outfit color, blue for ice, green for plasma, regular color for regular beam. And so on.
The problem with this design is that choosing a certain color would reserve its power just for you. No one else would have access to it, which would be kind unfair. Lolz, and we'd have ditto MU's that aren't 50:50. :troll:

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I am mostly fine with whatever dirt they throw in the next game, as long as they fill out the metroid franchise, Ridley and Drak Samus. The only two recurring villains, except for Sylux maybe.
But samus has been in since the start and is long overdue for a buff and maybe even some changes. Like with link and ganondorf, they took the moves they already had and changed them a little more, and with Mario they put in a whole new ability. So Samus deserves the morph ball mode, a buff, and maybe some change on the attacks

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not important, but I remember that the Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for every attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Samus'.

Weak Attacks

1-2: Straight, Cannon Hammer

Strong Attacks

Upward: Heel Kick
Forward: Spin Kick
Downward: Earth Blaster

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Cover Fire
Forward: Cannon Lunge
Downward: Spinning Leg Sweep

Dash Attack: Shoulder Tackle

Aerial Attacks:

Center: Chozo Kick
Front: Aerial Fire
Back: Flying Back Kick
Up: Drill Kick
Down: Meteor Cannon

Special Attacks

Standard B: Charge Shot
Foward B: Missile
Upward B: Screw Attack
Downward B: Bomb

Grapples and Throw Downs

Pummel: Chozo Crop
Front: Beam Throw
Back: Reverse Beam Throw
Up: Beam Launch
Down: Beam Slam

On to the Next.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Oh wow, I see. Just read your YL one. Thanks for these insightful posts, asia! :)

But samus has been in since the start and is long overdue for a buff and maybe even some changes. Like with link and ganondorf, they took the moves they already had and changed them a little more, and with Mario they put in a whole new ability. So Samus deserves the morph ball mode, a buff, and maybe some change on the attacks

Totally in with this! It's ironic though. Look at the placements of the worst two characters in SSB64, Link and Samus (the only tether grabbers of that game). In Melee, they both received slightly improved placements: Link got top of Lower Mid Tier (basically Link Tier now :p) and Samus got bottom of Upper Mid Tier (balanced tier :troll:). In Brawl, they both got sent back to the lowest of the low. Samus got super-low and Link's in the running for worst character in the game (along with the rest of Hyrule+ Tier). :glare:

Edit: Sorry, double post. :/

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Looking at the name "Cover Fire" for her uSmash attack made me think..

In Brawl, they introduced ranged smash attacks. (Zero Suit Samus, and Snake's uSmash). So why didn't they go for making actually fire rapid shots to the sky with it, rather than the same near useless flamey thingy over her head she's been doing since day 1?

I mean, I'm sure its got its uses (situational ones) but she's a ranged character, she could use an overhead ranged attack like several characters have (Pit, Ivy, Snake, Zamus, etc)

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Looking at the name "Cover Fire" for her uSmash attack made me think..

In Brawl, they introduced ranged smash attacks. (Zero Suit Samus, and Snake's uSmash). So why didn't they go for making actually fire rapid shots to the sky with it, rather than the same near useless flamey thingy over her head she's been doing since day 1?

I mean, I'm sure its got its uses (situational ones) but she's a ranged character, she could use an overhead ranged attack like several characters have (Pit, Ivy, Snake, Zamus, etc)
I never used that smash, ever. In midair it was okay because it drove them back a little, but on the ground it was useless.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
The thing is, a morph ball mode would allow her bombs to be used exactly the same way they were used in Melee, since the transition between forms would be extremely fast, but it would also give Samus much needed flexibility and additional options. That was always one of Samus's problems in every Smash game.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
I don't now how he did this, but i was playing Melee a while back and my friend was Samus, and using just the bombs, he somehow managed to push a Bowser up off the top of the stage. But a Morph Mode would be great. She could have her bombs, and then maybe the boost ball. Her ball form would also be faster than her sprinting. So say you are running and you stop and shoot a super missile, then you start rolling under the missile, and it hits a high damage enemy, knocks them up over the edge of the stage, you pop our of morph ball mode in midair, and you meteor smash.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If it works sort of like in the 2D Metroid games, then it could work. Just for the record, in all Metroid games as far as I know, the Morph Ball bombs were always timer based.

Having said that, proximity bombs are what made them so useful in Melee. And I hope they return.

I'm open to the idea of a MorPh Ball mode. I'm just afraid it would overpower the character.
You know what would be awesome? If Morh Ball mode is enabled, you can do the following:

B: would activate bombs
B-Tilt: would activate Boost Ball
B-Up activates Spider Ball
B-Down would end Morh Ball mode

Melee added Missilies and SUPER Missiles. Brawl added a better chain... So why not give her more moves? In the end she really needs more weapons.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I could see that easily being abused.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
If it works sort of like in the 2D Metroid games, then it could work. Just for the record, in all Metroid games as far as I know, the Morph Ball bombs were always timer based.

Having said that, proximity bombs are what made them so useful in Melee. And I hope they return.

I'm open to the idea of a MorPh Ball mode. I'm just afraid it would overpower the character.
You know what would be awesome? If Morh Ball mode is enabled, you can do the following:

B: would activate bombs
B-Tilt: would activate Boost Ball
B-Up activates Spider Ball
B-Down would end Morh Ball mode

Melee added Missilies and SUPER Missiles. Brawl added a better chain... So why not give her more moves? In the end she really needs more weapons.
Actually, i don't think the spider ball would work. If anything, it would be limited to regular bombs, boost ball, a single jump, and i would think a power bomb. You would use it as your Up Special, it would charge for 4 seconds, and then the explosion would be like a Smart Bomb but smaller.

Top Bottom