• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Samus just needs a KO boost on her projectiles and forward Smash like in Melee. A good range characters with keep-away-from-me attacks if the enemy gets in too close.

KO boost on her projectiles? Different Beam types and Combo Super Missiles! I'm surprised that Smash doesn't really have many combo specials (i.e. Link's bomb arrow)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bomb and beetle combo for Link perhaps.

Maybe if there was come customization, you could decide which beam to have for Samus.

Regular for KO, freeze for stun, wave to go through walls

But that probably will not happen

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Bomb and beetle combo for Link perhaps.

Maybe if there was come customization, you could decide which beam to have for Samus.

Regular for KO, freeze for stun, wave to go through walls

But that probably will not happen

Oh, I don't want character customization. I just want her to switch beams by indicating up, down, left, or right while charging the beam to fire off what's currently being charged and switch the beam weapon for the next shot. In terms of cancelling/dodging, you could just shield then smash to roll.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I want the beams represented on seperate moves. Charge beam for nB, fair buffed with wave beam providing stunning electricity and trancendent priority, up smash buffed with freezing(if this game has better ice mechanics) from the ice beam, and idk where plasma beam would go.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Judging how Sakurai handled Megaman, A moves getting flashy updates seems to be the way things are heading. Make every move look flashy. Even Mario's kicks have air slashes.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Just throwin' this out there

The best USA Samus in brawl (me) will not be returning to use Samus in SSBU. Though this game is looking to be a slightly better Brawl in some ways (no tripping, "air cancels," faster game play....ect) its not by much (brawl air dodge, super armor, low hit stun...ect) so there is a strong chance she will be more or less the same as she is currently. Ive spent from 2008 to 2013 (and prob a little into 2014) with Brawl samus and im just plain sick of her and how main TOs (except for myself) change rules/make rules that only hurt mid/low tier.

So yea, no more Samus for me but i WILL be dropping in from time to time to see what the new generation does to her.

You will be missed, sis. Unless by some stupid chance Samus becomes the new Meta Knight, in which case seeya soon.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Personally, I want the beams represented on seperate moves. Charge beam for nB, fair buffed with wave beam providing stunning electricity and trancendent priority, up smash buffed with freezing(if this game has better ice mechanics) from the ice beam, and idk where plasma beam would go.
I'd definitely prefer this to having Samus manually switching between beams. It's much simpler to grasp. I think I'd be fine if they just sped her up and gave her melee kill power back though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'd love for her to at least switch between Ice, Plasma, and Wave. With a simple Taunt button press.

If her Zair is taken away, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep maining her... Unless her missiles pack power again. Or if she has more killing options.

But I will give her a long long try to master... My main will be Little Mac though, most likely.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
She has had Zair in melee and in brawl so the chances are high she will have it in this game. The only thing we gotta know is if it is floppy like melee zair or straight like brawl.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Her missles were garbage in brawl...Samus in Melee was way better and she felt right the way she played...In brawl you have to camp to win... You have to space with zair,,,To me that isnt Samus. She is too much of a badass to play the way she did in Brawl...but then again, I hate Brawl, so, yeah....

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
She has had Zair in melee and in brawl so the chances are high she will have it in this game. The only thing we gotta know is if it is floppy like melee zair or straight like brawl.
Oh well I meant straight like in Brawl (but with tethering function of Melee, for a best of both worlds scenario).

I've grown so used to Brawl zAir, I'm not sure what I'd do without it, if she comes back as Brawl Samus.

Naturally, if she goes back to her Melee self... then I won't mind too much what happens to it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
samus looks sick and her moves look faster (although that COULD just be the graphics making it look that way) I hope she's closer to her melee incarnation, but most importantly I just hope she's a decent character and her moves actually WORK.

fair and up smash for example needed some work hahaha - it seems like things could be on the right track, but we have too little information.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious as to how Sakurai is going to change Samus. I'm sure we've all seen the Developer Direct where Sakurai made Bowser faster and gave him all sorts of different character animations. Developer Direct for those who haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ Since Sakurai took the time in the Developer Direct to mention Samus' updated appearance and that she looks "powered up visually", what other changes will he make? At the moment Samus seems like she is the same as she is in Brawl for the most part, since she seems to have the same moves, character animations, etc from Brawl. That could be because the game is still in development, but still. The only change I that I have found movement wise, is that during the Smash 4 reveal trailer when Mario transfers from the DS version to the HD Wii U version, he and all the other characters run to the right of the screen. From what I could see, Samus has a dash animation similar to that of Smash 64 where her upper body is facing forward and runs more like a human being and not awkwardly like in Brawl. So far, that's the only major difference in movement I have seen as long as that 2 second snippet uses the actual running animation. Nevertheless, the suit from MOM seemed designed to be more streamlined, agile, etc. Seeing Samus in the slimmed down Power Suit but using Brawl Samus' character animations seems weird. I think a good way to incorporate the good parts of the MOM suit would for starters, change her dodge roll from the morph ball rolling, since it lasts a while and the Invincibility frames stop before Samus returns to human form(please correct me on that if I'm wrong). Instead, I think it would be better for Samus to sensemove dodge roll forward when she dodges in the direction she is facing, and to sensemove back-flip when she dodge rolls in the direction opposite of here she is facing. The only other major change I could think of being a good thing would be change her grab to something that is usable. Samus could use something like a lethal strike from MOM as a dash grab(although I'm not exactly sure how that would work). For her regular grab, since the grapple beam in MOM extends fairly quickly, have it extend quickly and then retract quickly if she doesn't grab anything as opposed to keeping the grapple beam out for 2-3 seconds like an idiot. Also, make her bombs useful again. Samus has been very agile in most of her games counting Metroid for the NES and Metroid 2, seems kinda strange and disappointing that she's been somewhat sluggish in comparison to her actual in-game iterations.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
You guys basically covered everything that's known.

The only change I can think of worth mentioning other than her visual appearance is her FSmash since it looks like it'll have a bit more range and looks like it does fire damage. Which might make it have more knockback? idk hopefully we'll get more info.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If we get Other M Samus... does this mean we'll be able to turn into Zero Suit Samus almost at will like in that game?
Something tells me we won't.. but it would be great to being able to go from one mode to the other like Sheik/Zelda.

Do we really need 3 taunt animations? I'd settle for one, and have one for Transforming into ZSS and back to Samus again with any of the other two.

Dpad UP: Taunt 1
Dpad LEFT: Taunt 2
Dpad RIGHT: Taunt 3
Dpad DOWN: Transform (transforming characters transform. /// Non transforming characters repeat Taunt 2 (or get a new one)

This way we can have all transforming characters get a fourth Special Move, and Samus to transform into ZSS without necessarily getting a final smash (or mashing up-down taunts).

((Btw, unrelated, but I think through this method we should get Mario to turn into Doctor Mario))

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Samus has always been able to turn her suit on/off through the genetic "link" she has with it (explained why they couldn't remove it in Fusion)

Sakurai just apparently thinks its more "unique" or adds to the FS Transformation gimmick, so I doubt they'd change it.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I was really disappointed that the super missles had like NO ko'ing power, but I guess that's what charged shot is for. I hope the super missles at least gets more knock back.

Fares612

Smash Apprentice
I loved playing as Samus in the previous games, but honestly, Zero Suit was my main in Brawl. I'd be a bit bummed if she didn't return. I have hope though! We saw Samus' final smash :upsidedown:

grizby2

Smash Lord
I think it would be badass if she could aim her charged shot either forward, diagonal, or upwards like in Super Metroid. maybe it could also push herself back as a type of evasion, and distance would depend on direction (ie: aim forward=normal push, aim diagonally= light push, aim upwards= no push)

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
What I want for Samus is a full Morph Ball Mode.

Standard B: Morph Ball Bomb
Forward B: Morph Ball Boost
Upper B:
Lower B: Standard Mode

Final Smash: Power Bomb

At this point, I can't think of an Up+B Move.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
What I want for Samus is a full Morph Ball Mode.

Standard B: Morph Ball Bomb
Forward B: Morph Ball Boost
Upper B:
Lower B: Standard Mode

Final Smash: Power Bomb

At this point, I can't think of an Up+B Move.

Exactly! It'd be a pretty simple mode that helps her vary her aerial speed. I was kind of thinking that neutral B would be her power bomb and all of her A attacks would be laying normal bombs. The Power Bomb special would take a few seconds to recharge and would have a slightly longer wait before detonation.

Up+B could just be Spring Ball, honestly. Just make her boost vertically, just like her side boosts.

Also, I'd like it if her morph ball mode came with Spider Ball, so she could roll up the sides of cliffs to help her recovery.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If we get Other M Samus... does this mean we'll be able to turn into Zero Suit Samus almost at will like in that game?
Something tells me we won't.. but it would be great to being able to go from one mode to the other like Sheik/Zelda.

Do we really need 3 taunt animations? I'd settle for one, and have one for Transforming into ZSS and back to Samus again with any of the other two.

Dpad UP: Taunt 1
Dpad LEFT: Taunt 2
Dpad RIGHT: Taunt 3
Dpad DOWN: Transform (transforming characters transform. /// Non transforming characters repeat Taunt 2 (or get a new one)

This way we can have all transforming characters get a fourth Special Move, and Samus to transform into ZSS without necessarily getting a final smash (or mashing up-down taunts).

((Btw, unrelated, but I think through this method we should get Mario to turn into Doctor Mario))
I say this as a ZSS player who longs for her to be a separate character or have an easy transformation: having an easy on-command transformation between modes that doesn't require Samus and ZSS to give up a move slot would be egregiously unfair to transformation characters that need to sacrifice their down-Bs to transform.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I really would like to separate Samus and Zero Suit Samus myself. It's not too bad since not every fight will have a smash ball. But if I ever want to use the Hyper-beam I have switch to a character I don't like nearly as much. And I'm sure Zero Suit Samus player feel the same way. I like the idea of a taunt switch too. But giving them separate character slots would be my ideal method of choice.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see Samus' regular grab be quicker, since when you could lock onto a Grapple Point int MOM, the Grapple Beam extended and connected over a large distance almost instantly. That, and have the Grapple Beam retract quickly as well, instead of sitting out in the open like an idiot if she misses. I'd also like to see her Grapple Beam have kind of a constant stick to it, where if she misses when she initiates the grab, the Grapple Beam doesn't become useless immediately, if that makes any sense. I like to be able to grab the side of the stage like in Melee as well as the ledge, just throwing that out there. Changing her running grab into something like a Lethal Strike or an Overblast would be pretty cool, just not sure how that would work without causing 30% damage since it would involve shooting a charge shot at someone's face.

Another change I could see working is changing Samus' dodge roll from the slow morphball from Brawl to the sensemove dodge rolls. In Brawl, the dodge roll I-frames ended while she was still in the Morph Ball, let alone waiting to return to human form. Either make her dodge rolls the sensemove dodge rolls, or make the roll and transformation back to human form faster, or have the I-frames last longer, or hell, put all of them in.

This is just a nit pick, but I'd like to see her walking/running animations changed to something that looks less clunky. From what gameplay has been shown, Samus has all of the slowish and clunky walk animations from Brawl, which just looks weird in the slimmed down Other M suit. Something I noticed is that Samus' shoulder pads don't react to her movement, they just stay in the same general position when she attacks, resulting in a lot of clipping, which I hope gets fixed later on. Maybe Sakurai is going to change these later, but still, just looks weird to me. The Charge Shot sound effects sound like crap in the Developer Direct. The charge up and fring sounds sound SOOOO wimpy compared to all the other Smash games, especially Melee. The charging up sounds made it seem the the ground was shaking, and the firing noise was like an uber shotgun going off. Giving the charge shot a tad more power would be nice, make it scary again.

The only other thing I can think of is either changing Samus' Up Smash to something that actually works, or buff the hell out of the current Up Smash, I've only gotten three kills with that Up Smash in my entire life. Maybe give it a bigger hitbox, or give it a vacuum effect like for Pikachu's Down Smash, so the attack doesn't miss if someone gets hit, with it since the last hit is the one that counts like her Up Air, and I HATE when that happens. Last thing is her falling speed, for the regular fall, keep some of the floatyness since it is in several games, but make it, like, .3x-.5x faster so she isn't a complete sitting duck. When she activates her fast fall, give it s 2x-2.3x speed increase, as opposed to Brawl where she barely fell faster at all.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If anything, Zero Laser is just a glorified Hyper Beam that ties in to the transformation gimmick.

I also really don't think anything seen yet is the final version (sound effects, walking animations, etc.). I really hope they use the Prime/Other M Charge Beam sfx.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zero Suit Samus will probably not be separate cause of ZSS´s Final Smash.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It would be so freaking useful to be able to charge B while airborn.

If they give her an aiming option while she charges (up, front, down, back) I'd be really grateful, but I won't hold my breath for this one, lol

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Zero Suit Samus will probably not be separate cause of ZSS´s Final Smash.
Considering we haven't seen it, ZSS's Final Smash isn't really proof of anything. Gameplay considerations are of course going to come before aesthetic ones, and if Sakurai wants ZSS as a separate character (which sadly, he probably won't) then ZSS will be a separate character, FS be damned.

Was just browsing through my trophy collection, and it's kind of a kick in the balls that they straight up tell you in the trophy just not to pick up the Smash Ball if you want to play ZSS and ZSS alone. Yeah, that sounds fair.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still don't think not sacrificing a B move makes a transforming character unfair.

When was the last time someone called Samus unfair because she didn't sacrifice Morph Bomb to turn into ZSS? (and I'm talking about the mash-taunt transformation style)

If the character's good, then it's going to be good, regardless of the down+special, unless said down-special was MK's Tornado.
-
Regarding her Super Missiles, if they're not going to KO, they should at least make them Ice Missiles from Fusion.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If there's something I've always wanted Samus to have, it's Seeker Missiles:

Would be so delicious to stock up to five homing missiles, and fire them all in a cluster towards your opponent.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ugh, Sentinel. If seeker missiles were included I think I would prefer her firing just one at a time like Sektor from Mortal Kombat or something. If one's feeling missile-happy the normal and seeker missile can be used as a combination of sorts like with Sektor. I dunno, just a thought.

As far as Metroid goes, still find it interesting how Meta-Ridley in the first Prime and the robot Ridley in Zero Mission had their own seeker missile system before Samus adopted one when Prime 2 came out. She learned from the best!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ugh, Sentinel. If seeker missiles were included I think I would prefer her firing just one at a time like Sektor from Mortal Kombat or something. If one's feeling missile-happy the normal and seeker missile can be used as a combination of sorts like with Sektor. I dunno, just a thought.
It could be balanced to counter the Sentinelish thought of yours. :upsidedown:

side b: fire homing missile - smash b: Smash Missile.
side b, double tapping b: Stock homing missile. (You an't stock Smash Missiles, though).

Stocking 5 missiles would take much longer time than charging a fully charged Charge Shot. (Thus no Sentinel)

But unlike the Charge Shot, Samus doesn't go into a continuous charge/stock-animation.
Each "Stock Missile Animation" would need its own input ( Double Tap).

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to really like any ideas that give her more variety and options in her projectiles just like in her games. It fits very well with her toolbox play style, and is a pretty ideal way to buff her back into a viable character.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
I'm really loving some of the ideas I'm seeing here, but what are the chances the development team would actually make such large revisions to Samus's moveset at this point, other than changing speed and damage balance? As much as I've grown to love her moves over the years, I'm open to change and would be ecstatic to see some of the ideas you guys have mentioned to be implemented, but I don't really see it happening. But, I know very little about such things, so do correct me if I'm wrong. I HOPE I'm wrong.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm really loving some of the ideas I'm seeing here, but what are the chances the development team would actually make such large revisions to Samus's moveset at this point, other than changing speed and damage balance? As much as I've grown to love her moves over the years, I'm open to change and would be ecstatic to see some of the ideas you guys have mentioned to be implemented, but I don't really see it happening. But, I know very little about such things, so do correct me if I'm wrong. I HOPE I'm wrong.

Well, to be fair, the chance of any single post on Smashboards at any time ever making any impact on an upcoming Smash game is practically 0. Mostly, we're brainstorming ideas so we can b**ch about it later when we see that they aren't implemented. :p

Hopefully, they've already implemented some positive changes to Samus, though.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
Well, to be fair, the chance of any single post on Smashboards at any time ever making any impact on an upcoming Smash game is practically 0. Mostly, we're brainstorming ideas so we can b**ch about it later when we see that they aren't implemented. :p

Hopefully, they've already implemented some positive changes to Samus, though.
Ha, gotcha. I'll just stick to hoping for the best, and continue dying of anticipation for the inevitable new Metroid character reveal. And by inevitable I mean improbable. ...And by improbable I mean I am depressed :c

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I really like the username.

Top Bottom