• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Samus

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've beaten every Metroid game except for Prime Pinball, so I know what the Speedbooster and Shinespark are. Just setting the record straight first. I was simply saying that if Samus travels as fast as the games say she does while using the Speedbooster, how does she not receive internal damage for stopping on a dime? Trying to debunk this on Game Theory might be entertaining. Second, how you talk about the Speedbooster/Shinespark could be a good way to implement it into Smash 4. However, considering you have to run for a couple of seconds to activate the Speedbooster I doubt it will ever be a dedicated move outside of it kind of being referenced in Samus' dash attack. I think it would be pretty cool if you could use it in Adventure mode in Smash 4 in some form. That could be a new gimmick/mechanic, every character has some special ability in Smash 4's Adventure Mode and you have to utilize them in order to explore everything, get hidden trophies, etc.
Ad hoc hypotheses won't be necessary to figure out how Samus doesn't injure herself.

Anyway, the amount of time it takes for Samus to start up her Speed Booster varies in each game it's in, so it's not an issue, really. Of course, I don't see the Speed Booster being used as an attack or a recovery.

I would have much rather preferred the Hyper Beam as a special, or the Power Bomb, not the Zero Laser. The Power Bomb doesn't even need to be a special. It'd be nice if instead of dropping a bomb while Samus' B special was charged, she would end up using a power bomb.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How about making Down and Up Smash also a Charge Shot like attack like MegaMan's Forward Smash? It'd be just like Charge Shot, Samus' Neutral B, but aimed Up Wards and crouched? Make it like her Missiles to perhaps? Smash Up Smash and Smash Down Smash is Charge Shot and regular Up Smash and Down Smash are her old attacks.

Just a suggestion.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ad hoc hypotheses won't be necessary to figure out how Samus doesn't injure herself.

Anyway, the amount of time it takes for Samus to start up her Speed Booster varies in each game it's in, so it's not an issue, really. Of course, I don't see the Speed Booster being used as an attack or a recovery.

I would have much rather preferred the Hyper Beam as a special, or the Power Bomb, not the Zero Laser. The Power Bomb doesn't even need to be a special. It'd be nice if instead of dropping a bomb while Samus' B special was charged, she would end up using a power bomb.

Cool ideas all around. I've been supporting the idea of shooting a true Super Missile when she does a smash missile while fully charged and I like the idea of doing a Power Bomb when fully charged as well.

Though I'd still rather see a full on Morph Ball transformation mode when you hit Down B instead of popping off a bomb and getting out of it.

Also... gonna say this again, I wish she could change her beam type. Maybe different attacks would change it simultaneously? Up Smash does the fire blast, so her beam could change to plasma after the attack... her Down Smash could have an icy effect and change it to Ice Beam etc.

I dunno. I just think it'd be nice if Samus was a bit more like Samus.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
I think Mega Man will be able to angle his beams. R.O.B. was able to in SSBB. So if MM can do that, Samus should be able to, too. After all, it was Samus, not MM, who was able to angle her shots. So if MM can do it, but Samus can't, then they have it all backwards.
Ah, good points. Possibly she could change direction while holding the charge, and then release in the desired direction, similar to Pit's special? Without being able to change the trajectory after releasing like pit does.
Hey, everyone.

I think Samus should be allowed to charge her beam while walking/running, or even fire multiple beams while doing so. I also think she should be able to angle her shots.
They HAVE shown megaman walking and jumping while firing multiple shots from his Mega Buster, so that would definitely be plausible, in hindsight. Don't know why I didn't think of it yesterday.
I dunno. I just think it'd be nice if Samus was a bit more like Samus.
I think everyone could second that notion.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
They HAVE shown megaman walking and jumping while firing multiple shots from his Mega Buster, so that would definitely be plausible, in hindsight. Don't know why I didn't think of it yesterday.

Yeah, but to be totally fair, they made him this way becaue of his lack of melee combat skills (if we're talking about the NES incarnation of Mega Man) therefore, Sakurai needed to give him more options of shooting.

I don't think Mega Man can angle his shots in this game, though. What's the source of this claim?

But it would definitely be great if Samus could. And she SHOULD.
She should also pack more Super Missile power, OR turn them into Fusion's Ice Missiles.

Her Dash Attack should be faster to simulate her turbo skill.
The Power Bomb might be a little too OP (would be my ideal final smash) but it could work if you could charge it, and it was nerfed a bit.

I would have also loved if her Usmash meant firing at the sky. Snake can shoot a devastating mortar up in the air, why can't Samus fire several "warning shots" at the sky with hers? XD

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The Speed Booster could work like this:

When Samus has dashed for 1/3 of FD, she starts to run faster. After 2/3 of FD, she begins to flash.
From here, you can execute the tackle or Sky Jump. Both good KO Moves.
If you don't input any of the moves, Samus stops shining after 1 second and returns to normal.

This would be extremely situational, but a fun addition nonetheless.
Sort of an Easter Egg.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think the only shot angling that Mega Man will have is the Metal Blade neutral special. While it would be nice if Samus could angle her shots, I do also think that kind of takes away one of ROB's unique gimmicks.

As far as walking while shooting/charging goes, that only works with Mega Man because he's sacrificed three different moves to do so. His neutral aerial, jab, and side tilts are all the same move, therefore approximating walking while attacking... it's a different thing, and I don't think it's really work for Samus.

Especially now, since characters are supposed to be made more different from each other, not less. A lot of people have said "Won't Mega Man be a lot like Samus?" before he got in, and Sakurai shouldn't go out of his way to prove those people right.

I'm excited, guys-- soon, I'm going to play through Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid: Fusion for the first time! Which one should I play first? (knowing that I have played through the original Metroid game before)

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
I'm excited, guys-- soon, I'm going to play through Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid: Fusion for the first time! Which one should I play first? (knowing that I have played through the original Metroid game before)
I personally prefer playing Zero Mission first, followed by Fusion on my runthroughs, for the sake of it being chronological. But I also usually play through the rest of the games in between.. Anyway, you're going to love them both! Fusion is by far my favorite GBA title, and Zero Mission is a great take on the original. They're timeless.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I think the only shot angling that Mega Man will have is the Metal Blade neutral special. While it would be nice if Samus could angle her shots, I do also think that kind of takes away one of ROB's unique gimmicks.

As far as walking while shooting/charging goes, that only works with Mega Man because he's sacrificed three different moves to do so. His neutral aerial, jab, and side tilts are all the same move, therefore approximating walking while attacking... it's a different thing, and I don't think it's really work for Samus.

Especially now, since characters are supposed to be made more different from each other, not less. A lot of people have said "Won't Mega Man be a lot like Samus?" before he got in, and Sakurai shouldn't go out of his way to prove those people right.

Here's an idea, how about if you just press the b button to charge the charge beam, Samus acts as normal, being able to roll if you move left or right, etc. However, if you hold the B Button, you will be rooted in place but can angle the shot. If you finish the charge, move to a different location, then hold the B Button, you can angle the shot as well, perhaps being able to do this in midair. Not to mention being able to charge the charge beam in midair. Perhaps Samus should have a couple of seconds to aim the shot, then it is released automatically, but that could cause some problems.

qdMbp, whether or not you play Zero Mission or Fusion first is based on personal preference. Zero Mission is the non-linear Super Metroid Style with little nudges from the Chozo statues telling you what general location on the map you should be going to next. Not for the faint of heart since the game is so wide open to you. Fusion is more story driven and linear, no sequence breaking in that one. However, the game is challenging and the story itself isn't that bad, the correct way to tell a linear Metroid in my opinion *glares angrily at Metroid: Other M*. Depends on what you prefer of gameplay style, though I would recommend Zero Mission, since it's a remake of the original NES game, and it's much easier than Fusion, letting you get a handle on the gameplay style. Hard Mode or the minimalist runs are definitely VERY hard to complete. Look up any 9 or 10% run of Zero Mission once you beat the game to see what I mean.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Here's an idea, how about if you just press the b button to charge the charge beam, Samus acts as normal, being able to roll if you move left or right, etc. However, if you hold the B Button, you will be rooted in place but can angle the shot. If you finish the charge, move to a different location, then hold the B Button, you can angle the shot as well, perhaps being able to do this in midair. Not to mention being able to charge the charge beam in midair. Perhaps Samus should have a couple of seconds to aim the shot, then it is released automatically, but that could cause some problems.

qdMbp, whether or not you play Zero Mission or Fusion first is based on personal preference. Zero Mission is the non-linear Super Metroid Style with little nudges from the Chozo statues telling you what general location on the map you should be going to next. Not for the faint of heart since the game is so wide open to you. Fusion is more story driven and linear, no sequence breaking in that one. However, the game is challenging and the story itself isn't that bad, the correct way to tell a linear Metroid in my opinion *glares angrily at Metroid: Other M*. Depends on what you prefer of gameplay style, though I would recommend Zero Mission, since it's a remake of the original NES game, and it's much easier than Fusion, letting you get a handle on the gameplay style. Hard Mode or the minimalist runs are definitely VERY hard to complete. Look up any 9 or 10% run of Zero Mission once you beat the game to see what I mean.

Cool idea for the Charge Beam, I like that a lot. Samus could feasibly still charge and move at the same time if she controlled like a character with a Cracker Launcher-- left and right to move, up and down to angle it, and release to fire.

Might be a bit awkward at first, but Samus players could definitely get used to it quickly enough. Besides, even if players try to control her like she has in the past, it wouldn't be too different except the blast shooting off on release.

And, hey, that's a lot more like it is in the actual Metroid games.

Since I've played the original NES Metroid before, I might just blow through Zero Mission quickly with some cheats (probably just inf. missiles, but that speed things up a lot) just to see what they've done with the game and then play through Fusion actually.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Cool idea for the Charge Beam, I like that a lot. Samus could feasibly still charge and move at the same time if she controlled like a character with a Cracker Launcher-- left and right to move, up and down to angle it, and release to fire.

Might be a bit awkward at first, but Samus players could definitely get used to it quickly enough. Besides, even if players try to control her like she has in the past, it wouldn't be too different except the blast shooting off on release.

And, hey, that's a lot more like it is in the actual Metroid games.

Since I've played the original NES Metroid before, I might just blow through Zero Mission quickly with some cheats (probably just inf. missiles, but that speed things up a lot) just to see what they've done with the game and then play through Fusion actually.

I reccomend you play the game like it's meant to be played.
Here's why.

I had absolutely NO interest in Metroid. Played a bit of Super first... meh, felt like an akward Mega Man game (again, at first). Played a bit of Metroid (nes) and the difficulty turned me off (getting lost in Kraid was no fun either).

Then I played Zero Misson... It was spectacular. A nice introduction to the game. Great visuals. Great soundtrack. And a very nice learning curve.
You were also told where to go, which for a Metroid first-timer was VERY welcome.

And it was one whole enjoyable experience from then on.

So... I'm just saying. If you can, play it regularly, but hey, just do it how it better suits you. It's still a wonderful game. :)

EDIT: Fast forward, and Super Metroid is now my favorite Metroid game, followed very closely by Zero Mission and Prime 3)

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
Then I played Zero Mission... It was spectacular. A nice introduction to the game. Great visuals. Great soundtrack. And a very nice learning curve.
You were also told where to go, which for a Metroid first-timer was VERY welcome.
You're told where to go vie Chozo statues that point you to the room containing the next power up you need to continue. When you play it again, you can skip those if you so desire. Sequence Breaking in Zero Mission is glorious, considering you can go kill Ridley first, then Kraid kinda like in the NES game. The plentiful, creative sequence breaking and the game's difficulty makeing great jumping on point for the series.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I reccomend you play the game like it's meant to be played.
Here's why.

I had absolutely NO interest in Metroid. Played a bit of Super first... meh, felt like an akward Mega Man game (again, at first). Played a bit of Metroid (nes) and the difficulty turned me off (getting lost in Kraid was no fun either).

Then I played Zero Misson... It was spectacular. A nice introduction to the game. Great visuals. Great soundtrack. And a very nice learning curve.

And it was one whole enjoyable experience from then on.

So... I'm just saying. If you can, play it regularly, but hey, just do it how it better suits you. It's still a wonderful game. :)

EDIT: Fast forward, and Super Metroid is now my favorite Metroid game, followed very closely by Zero Mission and Prime 3)

So far my favorites are Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1, but I haven't played any of the handheld ones yet.

I probably will start off playing Zero Mission normally w/out cheats, but knowing that I'll probably play another Metroid game right afterwards will wear away at my willpower/patience. Doesn't really matter, I'll enjoy it either way. I love remakes.

If I'm speeding through a game like this, I tend to just grant myself infinite supplies because I enjoy gameplay but don't enjoy resource management. I just played through GBA Castlevania games and just gave myself infinite magic and money and enjoyed them thoroughly (actually on Aria of Sorrows and I'm not cheating in this one)

I'm excited to see the origins of Zero Suit Samus... that's in one of these games, right? Wait, the name kinda tells me which one she's in... cool. That should be fun, character development for Samus will be great and I can compare it with Metroid: Other M's choices.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I'm excited to see the origins of Zero Suit Samus... that's in one of these games, right? Wait, the name kinda tells me which one she's in... cool. That should be fun, character development for Samus will be great and I can compare it with Metroid: Other M's choices.

You get more Samus character development in Fusion, since Samus barely says anything in Zero Mission when comparing the two. Please tell me why Other M Samus has high heels on the Zero Suit? Shouldn't that hamper you combat abilities? ZSS never has high heels before Other M. I guess that would explain why Samus has ass pads on the Zero Suit in Other M and why she isn't 6 ft 3 in tall anymore. Okay, I've been ******** about Other M too much, I apologize. Also, by playing Zero Mission all the way through, you will wonder how in the hell ZSS is higher on the tier list than regular Samus. Then again, anyone should question why a character somehow gets better by taking OFF their supersuit.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've decided to main Samus in SSB 64 as well as in Melee.
Kind of hard to get used to them between games... To set them apart, I use Default-suit Samus for 64, Gravity Sut in Melee (because of heavier gravity), and Pink Varia Suit Samus for Brawl.

My ideal Samus in SSB 4 would be something like this:

Overall pace: 64 (Handles the best, IMO)

Jabs: Melee
Ftilt: Melee
Dtilt: Melee
Utilt: Melee

Nair: Melee
Fair: 64
Dair: 64
Bair: 64 (I just like that akward aerial heel kick she does)
Uair: Brawl

Fsmash: SSB4 (with explosion)
Dsmash: Melee
Usmash: 64

B: Melee
BTilt: Melee (I feel much more comfortable with Brawl's way of executing them, but I like Melee's power)
BDown: Melee (Brawl lacks contact-detonation, and 64 removes double jump, so Melee's is ideal)
BUp: 64

Dash Attack: Melee
Grab: Brawl
Zair: Brawl (but ideally, it would latch on to any wall, not just the ledge, like in Melee)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You get more Samus character development in Fusion, since Samus barely says anything in Zero Mission when comparing the two. Please tell me why Other M Samus has high heels on the Zero Suit? Shouldn't that hamper you combat abilities? ZSS never has high heels before Other M. I guess that would explain why Samus has *** pads on the Zero Suit in Other M and why she isn't 6 ft 3 in tall anymore. Okay, I've been *****ing about Other M too much, I apologize. Also, by playing Zero Mission all the way through, you will wonder how in the hell ZSS is higher on the tier list than regular Samus. Then again, anyone should question why a character somehow gets better by taking OFF their supersuit.

Don't worry, it's literally impossible to b**** about Other M too much.

I rather dislike Zero Suit Samus's inclusion in Smash for a number of reasons. I won't get into them right here, but... Ergh. C'mon.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I didn't like the Zero Suit when it debuted. It always seemed to me like it was just there for sex appeal. But I guess I've slightly warmed up to it since then. Still prefer the Super Fusion style though.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, ZSS's inclusion really annoys me- she feels like she was just shoved in for the sake of a stupid gimmick over more deserving characters. She is fun to play tho, so I can't complain too much.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You get more Samus character development in Fusion, since Samus barely says anything in Zero Mission when comparing the two. Please tell me why Other M Samus has high heels on the Zero Suit? Shouldn't that hamper you combat abilities? ZSS never has high heels before Other M. I guess that would explain why Samus has *** pads on the Zero Suit in Other M and why she isn't 6 ft 3 in tall anymore. Okay, I've been *****ing about Other M too much, I apologize. Also, by playing Zero Mission all the way through, you will wonder how in the hell ZSS is higher on the tier list than regular Samus. Then again, anyone should question why a character somehow gets better by taking OFF their supersuit.
Hey, as long as the King of all Evil is at the very bottom of the tier list, while the Chosen Hero of Time is following only a few miles ahead, I think we've got bigger worries than ZSS being higher than Samus :p

I've never been too happy about the inclusion of ZSS either, and she's the character I've played the least by a hundred miles, partly because she isn't on the character selection screen or included in the random option, but I always found her playstyle very dull, plus I hate how she's most likely considered a seperate Metroid rep by Sakurai, which she isn't, that'd be like considering Zelda and Sheik, or Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard seperate characters.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
How does Samus eat food items with her helmet covering her mouth?
Through E = mc^2. If an apple is 100 grams, then using this equation, you'll end up with the following.

E = (0.100 kg.)(299,792,458 m/s)^2
E = (0.100 kg.)(89,875,517,873,681,764 m^2/s^2)
E = 8,987,551,787,368,176.4 J.

That's equal to 2.15 megatons of TNT. Well, if I did my calculations correctly. (I'm positive I did.)

Edit: On a realistic note, a kilocalorie is 4184 joules, so if an apple is 95 kcal., that's 397,480 J.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How does Samus eat food items with her helmet covering her mouth?
The same way Meta Knight and Olimar do it obviously.

Samus is the least of our worries though, I don't believe it's all that healthy for R.O.B to get all kinds of fruits, juice and coffee into his system.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's a shame they won't give Samus a MegaMan-like treatment. Though, with her Other M design, it's a little bit more acceptable she's more of a physical fighter.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It's a shame they won't give Samus a MegaMan-like treatment. Though, with her Other M design, it's a little bit more acceptable she's more of a physical fighter.

Yeah, that's fair. So, the question is, does she still dodge by turning into the morph ball and rolling slowly or does she use her quick Other M dodge now?

I vote for her doing a quick dodge.
And, yes, having a true morph ball mode transformation.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I hope they speed her up
I just hope she isn't as floaty as in Brawl and that her fast fall is an actual fast fall. In the E3 reveal trailer, whenshe shoots a charge shot at DK, it seems like she was falling even more slowly than in Brawl. Then again she might be falling at the slowest speed possible, like she laid a morph ball bomb, you know what I mean? If what I saw was true, then that scares me a bit.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
She was fairly floaty in Other M, which is what I think they're going off of. To offset that, she was also pretty fast.
In Other M Samus was floaty in the Power Suit, yet when she was out of it, she fell fairly fast in the escape sequence in the Zero Suit(not sure how taking off a metallic armor makes you heavier, but oh well). That, and Samus fell pretty quick in the Power Suit in Zero Mission, an okay speed in Fusion, and the Prime games.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
In Other M Samus was floaty in the Power Suit, yet when she was out of it, she fell fairly fast in the escape sequence in the Zero Suit(not sure how taking off a metallic armor makes you heavier, but oh well). That, and Samus fell pretty quick in the Power Suit in Zero Mission, an okay speed in Fusion, and the Prime games.
She absorbed it into her body, thus adding mass. So she drops like a bowling ball.

Edit: Actually, being aerodynamically efficient, she may not require as much drag as she falls. Ah, whatever. That's game physics for you.

Mind Ranger

Smash Apprentice
I just hope she isn't as floaty as in Brawl and that her fast fall is an actual fast fall. In the E3 reveal trailer, whenshe shoots a charge shot at DK, it seems like she was falling even more slowly than in Brawl. Then again she might be falling at the slowest speed possible, like she laid a morph ball bomb, you know what I mean? If what I saw was true, then that scares me a bit.
I really dint look at the gameplay too much, its still in early development, no doubt it will change.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
I just hope she doesn't stay in the air for forever, that is just begging for someone to come after you. Samus should be a zoning fighter and I would like to see them beef up her projectiles. I wish they would fix her grab (as well as Link's), there is no reason why someone would just throw out a grapple beam, miss, and stare at it until they realize to pull it back lol. Make her dair come out faster and make bombs explode on contact with opponents. At least that's my two cents.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd be fine with her being floaty still if it were only possible to retain momentum. It may be a pipe dream, but I want Samus to play like in her games.

Playing Super Metroid all day yesterday made me absolutely love the momentum you can build up/keep with the Space Jump.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
I'd be fine with her being floaty still if it were only possible to retain momentum. It may be a pipe dream, but I want Samus to play like in her games.

Playing Super Metroid all day yesterday made me absolutely love the momentum you can build up/keep with the Space Jump.
Great game and she would benefit greatly if she played like she did in Super Metroid. I main Sonic and I believe he would benefit the same if he played more like himself in his own games

Top Bottom