• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Lovin' - Triweekly XXXII - December 1st

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
If the tournament's not actually affiliated with Winter Game Fest, I don't think the guys running WGF would be very happy with other people using their name. But maybe they would?

I'm down for playing today if people will be there. I can bring a cube this time, too.
I'm the guy that runs winter game fest.

:phone:

Jun.

Smash Lord
"In war, practise dissimulation, and you will succeed. Move only if there is a real advantage to be gained."

-Sun Tzu, camping since 512 B.C.

BrandonOwnageking

Smash Journeyman
guess who's back? back again...Bok is back....tell a friend...

guess who's back...guess who's back...guess who's back...guess who's back....guess who's back....guess who's back....guess who's back....guess who's back...Nah Nah Nah.

Expect and look forward to my magnificent return.

p.s. don't sleep on me.

:phone:

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I'm a bit late, but thank you guys for these two days in SD. It was great meeting everyone there.

You are so lucky to have the lodge, it's an amazing place to host smashfests !

I'd have trouble being specific, because I pretty much mixed every name, but I think that pretty much everyone was really good. I really enjoyed the (many) games against Boss' Fox, and the (not so many) games against Jesse.

Also, Rick, it was great seeing you again. Sadly, we didn't much time, but oh well, a bit is better than nothing. We'll try to do better next time :D
Also, in your results, there are only 3 people ranked 9th, so I guess you can be promoted to this placing as well ;)

And obviously, thanks to Andrew for housing us and organizing this for us. And to Ein for being one of the only dogs I'd accept to own :bee:

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
I'm a bit late, but thank you guys for these two days in SD. It was great meeting everyone there.

You are so lucky to have the lodge, it's an amazing place to host smashfests !

I'd have trouble being specific, because I pretty much mixed every name, but I think that pretty much everyone was really good. I really enjoyed the (many) games against Boss' Fox, and the (not so many) games against Jesse.

Also, Rick, it was great seeing you again. Sadly, we didn't much time, but oh well, a bit is better than nothing. We'll try to do better next time :D
Also, in your results, there are only 3 people ranked 9th, so I guess you can be promoted to this placing as well ;)

And obviously, thanks to Andrew for housing us and organizing this for us. And to Ein for being one of the only dogs I'd accept to own :bee:
Glad to see you had fun.

anyone down for a smashfest friday?
I'm interested.

Engdrew

Smash Journeyman
I won't be here Friday. I will be up in Anaheim for MLG :O :O :O. SD stay cool, keep camping, and keep hatin'. I'll be back after this weekend.

Slhoka + Qlex: It was a pleasure hosting you guys. Feel free to come back any time, you are always welcome here in San Diego.

BOK: How long will you be here??? Sorry I won't be here this weekend.

Naming the tournament: lol Tristan, I knew you would like my reply to ycz's post hahahaha. I did it for you bro <3. I didn't mean to come across sounding like a ****, but credit goes to Pat for running the smash portion of WGF year after year after year...so I guess my naming powers are now transferred to Pat (the idea to have the tournament + the one organizing it is his anyway...) Honestly, I think Jun could probably come up with something really witty, but it would probably be NSFW or some **** like that LOL.

Alright peace kiddies. Someone get Eric to come out of the shadows his apartment once in a while.

tacoz42

Smash Journeyman
I won't be here Friday. I will be up in Anaheim for MLG :O :O :O. SD stay cool, keep camping, and keep hatin'. I'll be back after this weekend.

Slhoka + Qlex: It was a pleasure hosting you guys. Feel free to come back any time, you are always welcome here in San Diego.

BOK: How long will you be here??? Sorry I won't be here this weekend.

Naming the tournament: lol Tristan, I knew you would like my reply to ycz's post hahahaha. I did it for you bro <3. I didn't mean to come across sounding like a ****, but credit goes to Pat for running the smash portion of WGF year after year after year...so I guess my naming powers are now transferred to Pat (the idea to have the tournament + the one organizing it is his anyway...) Honestly, I think Jun could probably come up with something really witty, but it would probably be NSFW or some **** like that LOL.

Alright peace kiddies. Someone get Eric to come out of the shadows his apartment once in a while.
Playing SC2? The only good game there.

ycz12

Smash Ace
Whoa guys, I just appealed a UCSD parking ticket and they accepted it! :cool:

Anyway I'll probably be there around 3pm tomorrow, possibly with a cube if I remember.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
So gay!

10char
Maybe, but I don't think it's too bad when a single mistake can mean the stock.

Also, the learning curve for that is quite a bit steeper than something like grab>up-throw>grab>up-throw>grab>up-throw>grab>up-throw>forward smash

or

wait at the edge>capitalize on the other player's mistake with no risk at all>you don't follow through>repeat.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
It's actually not very much steeper at all lol. Dying more easily is a pretty reasonable trade-off when a character's advantage is that they're just straight-up better at fighting than everyone else.

And yes, it really is that bad -- having reliable approaches and frame traps in a game where those two don't exist much otherwise. That's why people play space animals. You just made the mistake of choosing the slightly less broken one.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
It's actually not very much steeper at all lol. Dying more easily is a pretty reasonable trade-off when a character's advantage is that they're just straight-up better at fighting than everyone else.

And yes, it really is that bad -- having reliable approaches and frame traps in a game where those two don't exist much otherwise. That's why people play space animals. You just made the mistake of choosing the slightly less broken one.
Falco has no "frame traps". There's actually a pretty large window I can nair out with Peach and Sheik. I'm fairly sure most chars have something in response to his pillaring.

chiZZLeSD

Smash Lord
im gonna play fox now because he's the best character in the game. that way i have no excuse for losing other than whoever i played is just better than me :]

..so i expect to lose quite a bit..

.. oh and ice climbers too to troll

..i wont wobble though.. UNLESS we're playing for like $20 (or more) or something.. then im sorry, but i might because im poor and need to buy books for school

.. i still love you guys though.. dont be mad

..lol

but really though, genesis 2 vids were really inspiring. expect me to make a comeback!

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Falco has no "frame traps". There's actually a pretty large window I can nair out with Peach and Sheik. I'm fairly sure most chars have something in response to his pillaring.
Space animal shield pressure basically is frame trapping. That's why it works, otherwise they would just get shieldgrabbed every single time and no one would ever do it. Samus can Up B out of shield because she gets invincibility immediately, but most characters don't have an option like this. A shine that starts on the first frame and can be canceled on the fourth is still faster than most out-of-shield options in the game.

If you watch videos of high level players, especially of Marths and Falcons, the usual response to space animal shield pressure is a buffered roll. Everything else is for when their spacing is slightly off or they're just plain messing up.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Andrew, I hope you realize that nobody pillars perfectly. LOL.
With that reasoning, nobody has frame perfect wavedashes OOS or perfectly timed grabs. Most spacie players pillar "perfectly" enough not to get grabbed which is what matters, the application of a tactic.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
But no one actually grabs lol. I'm saying even if you pillar perfectly, there's always a frame window (a rather large one actually. something like 9 or so frames), where there is no shield stun and you can do something oos. It's actually really dangerous to keep pillaring someone's shield. Jesse generally just comes in with a nair shine nair and leaves, which is a lot smarter and safer.

Top Bottom