• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SB/SLO Smash: You've just activated my trap card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Silly Melee kids. What are you guys gonna do if all of a sudden there aren't many melee tournaments anymore?

LRN2BRAWL.

P.S. I play kids at SBCC in melee and found a guy named Josh who wants to get good at Brawl. He can kinda hold his own against me in melee...sorta?....not really. He is thinking of playing Wolf. To give you an idea of how much he knows about Brawl, he told me today that he thinks Metaknight and.....Ike...are cheap/thebest.

Also, I was talking to him about tournament rules and president of video game club overheard and I guess im sorta in a position to set the rules for Santa Barbara Game Fest's brawl tourney.

Also, they haven't given me a date.

Also, we should get lotsa LA people to come if we can.

Also, I played TF2 for 34 hours in the past two weeks, and I have played 20 hours of Persona 3, and 0 hours of Brawl.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Silly Melee kids. What are you guys gonna do if all of a sudden there aren't many melee tournaments anymore?

LRN2BRAWL.

P.S. I play kids at SBCC in melee and found a guy named Josh who wants to get good at Brawl. He can kinda hold his own against me in melee...sorta?....not really. He is thinking of playing Wolf. To give you an idea of how much he knows about Brawl, he told me today that he thinks Metaknight and.....Ike...are cheap/thebest.

Also, I was talking to him about tournament rules and president of video game club overheard and I guess im sorta in a position to set the rules for Santa Barbara Game Fest's brawl tourney.

Also, I played TF2 for 34 hours in the past two weeks, and I have played 20 hours of Persona 3, and 0 hours of Brawl.
well to be perfectly honest dantarion I'd give up smash all together...I just can't into brawl like I can melee.

also Dantarion. We should all swap AIM or something since I already have a date and venue picked out for UCSB tourney. and we kinda have a working rule set (to be honest we just stole it from SCSA)

TF2 eh? I wanna play...but steam is messing up on my ubuntu...oh well...guess I'll just use my friend's account for now

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I'll be extremely ashamed of you if you don't work a melee event into the monthlies gosu. Just sayin.
When Junk posted the thread for the smash event that was cancelled, I got kinda mad cuz I thought those were monthlies and he made it brawl only. But I know you won't let me down. ;)

DanteFox

Smash Champion

LRN2BRAWL.

Silly brawl kids. Melee is coming back in full force. What are you guys gonna do once the metagame comes to a halt? When everyone just plays metaknight because they run out of options? LRN2MELEE.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
I'll be extremely ashamed of you if you don't work a melee event into the monthlies gosu. Just sayin.
When Junk posted the thread for the smash event that was cancelled, I got kinda mad cuz I thought those were monthlies and he made it brawl only. But I know you won't let me down. ;)
oh dante...you like melee alot don't you...

well I'll see what we can do for ya

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Gah, sorry guys. I never got the time off work but ended up having to take it off anyways because I got real sick...just ended up sleeping all day. Sorry Jun I should have gotten ahold of you earlier, I hope you guys had fun.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Wow, you melee kids certainly have problems. Yes, Melee is better than Brawl in terms of competitive techs, but seriously, its been out for so long and there are so few players that its hardly even fun trying to get good at it. Brawl is more exciting to me because there are more tournaments to go to, and I can actually compete, instead of getting owned by people who have been playing melee in tournies for years and years.

You guys who don't even post in this thread really other than trolling me about playing Brawl need to find something better to do. If you guys would rather sit at home while we all go to tournaments and have fun playing "an inferior game" and play Melee with your elitist friends, go ahead.

Gosu actually responded to me, saying that he would rather not play smash at all if melee died out. Dante responded with his position on Brawls metagame. You guys just trolled.

P.S. The metagame of melee is boring to me, because...well...it doesn't seem to be evolving anymore.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Wow, you melee kids certainly have problems. Yes, Melee is better than Brawl in terms of competitive techs, but seriously, its been out for so long and there are so few players that its hardly even fun trying to get good at it. Brawl is more exciting to me because there are more tournaments to go to, and I can actually compete, instead of getting owned by people who have been playing melee in tournies for years and years.

You guys who don't even post in this thread really other than trolling me about playing Brawl need to find something better to do. If you guys would rather sit at home while we all go to tournaments and have fun playing "an inferior game" and play Melee with your elitist friends, go ahead.

Gosu actually responded to me, saying that he would rather not play smash at all if melee died out. Dante responded with his position on Brawls metagame. You guys just trolled.

P.S. The metagame of melee is boring to me, because...well...it doesn't seem to be evolving anymore.

I may have to get back together with my ex.....starcraft

maybe start a fling with the new hot chick SF IV or get a little action from TF2

brawl is cute and peppy but she's not my type.

∫unk

Smash Master
Eric ***** (except when he's sleepy). But stick to aib haha

For 99% of players it doesn't matter what the character is, they're getting ***** because they're predictable and didn't adjust fast (or at all).

This is why I can sometimes beat you guys in melee and the 64 guys ***** you even though we rarily play. I don't think you guys will get truly **** until you understand really why your attacks worked on a subconscious level.

It isn't like oh he shielded I'm gonna grab or I'm going to do this pretty safe approach just cause. It's about conditioning and analyzing.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Junk, I know what you mean, I am enjoying playing a lot more that I am actually trying to trick my opponent into falling into grenade traps with Snake, or waiting for someone to double jump and bair-ing them with DK as soon as I see the jump animation come out.

I was fighting a Marth who, like Junk, holds onto his jump onto the last moment. I was edgeguarding him, and I jumped out, fell beside him....and waited. He didn't jump or up b until it was too late, and I just jumped back onto the stage, without even hitting him :p

At that point, I was like, O ****, this is what brawl is about, mindgames and strategy > tech skill.
Although I do want to learn pivoting so I can be like JONT

The calm tyrant...

Smash Ace
PrinceJunkintheTrunk i've taught you so well :)
Get **** at brawl plzzz
And melee will be forever fun but never will be what it was lols

Lmao Dantarion my bad about the turtle thing the influence of mary Jane got the best of me haha but it was indeed funny =)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
@ Brawl people:

I'd just like to take a moment to refute the basic premises of your little "brawl > melee" assertion.

1. The idea that the melee metagame is at a standstill is false. Within the past few years we've seen the implementation of various techniques, some new, some old but relatively unused. This notion of a static metagame is one, I believe, that is the direct result of ignorance and unwillingness to learn. What I mean by this is that if you would give it a chance, you'd see that melee is a deep, fun game whose metagame is ever-shifting. The metagame is constantly being polished by the community through rigorous and subtle tweaking. Old techniques are being used in unique ways to more effectively accomplish tasks that were before accomplished, with varying rates of success, through reaction.

2. The statement that, "[melee has] been out for so long and there are so few players that its hardly even fun trying to get good at it" is intellectually dishonest. The melee community is expansive and far reaching throughout socal, as well as decently represented in Santa Barbara. I cannot accept the melee community's size as a valid reason for not being able to get into melee, which means that it, most likely, has to do with the first part of that statement, which brings me to my next point:

3. Melee's age. This basically boils down to what, I'm sorry to say, for has been a sort of subconscious "gamer's instinct", if you will, which can be simply and concisely paraphrased as "Newer = Better". Now if this discussion were about, say, a bicycle, car, house, or what have you, I might be inclined to agree, but IT'S A GAME. It is forever, at it's core, unchanging. Not the metagame, but the very base of the game. The animations of a game don't rust, nor do the game mechanics slow down due to old age. And I know you can't be saying you're bored of it, because you admitted in your last post that you haven't bothered to get good at it. This point is invalid. Most of Dantarion's other points are similar and directly related to the previous three so I'll finish by addressing Jun's point.

4. You appear to be making the all-too-familiar "brawl is about strategy, melee is about tech" argument, all the while supporting it with your biased anecdotal evidence. It baffles me how powerfully and abundantly this misconception persists. You act like strategy and mindgames don't exist in melee. It's really just a matter of speed. It's not that they aren't there, but they occur at such a quick and fluid pace that it takes a trained eye to notice and appreciate them.

As for your second point: "This is why I can sometimes beat you guys in melee and the 64 guys ***** you even though we rarily play. I don't think you guys will get truly **** until you understand really why your attacks worked on a subconscious level."
Again, why do you say that, as if gosu and I have never "sometimes" beaten you? I'm sensing a sort of underlying (ironically enough) elitism in that post.

"I don't think you guys will get truly **** until you understand really why your attacks worked on a subconscious level." Are you "truly ****"? Do you have a "subconscious" understanding of why your attacks work? I think you need to stop hanging out on the brawl jiggs boards man, those elitist, pseudo-intellectual, faux-philosophical fumes are getting to you. XD

All in all, I have little problem with the brawl community, but they try so hard to legitimize themselves that it often works against them.

tl;dr
Give melee a chance, you just might see why people still play this years-old game.

∫unk

Smash Master
Dante my post wasnt about brawl vs melee at all nor was the intention to be elitist. The fact is I've been playing with some of the best brawl players in the world and arguably the best overall smasher (dsf came over this weekend too).

I tried to share what has made me better recently in the few weeks you haven't seen me or played me.

And it isn't about winning or losing especially in friendlies it's about what you did and why it worked or didn't. That was the focus of my post and your generalizations and failure to put your ego aside to see I'm trying to help you speaks volumes about where you are as a player.

And as a brawl player I see no reason to legitamize something that's legit. Just like melee is legit and ignorant brawl players should avoid making generalizations about melee even if they have hints of truth (same melee to brawl).

And obviously melee involves deep strategy at high levels of play I'm talking you as a player.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I appreciate intentions as much as the next person, but intentions don't come across very well on message boards all the time, and, considering the context, you'll have to forgive me for my misrepresentation of your post, as some parts of it contain hints of elitism. But the fact remains, you have a lot to learn about melee before making the kinds of statements you were in the post I previously quoted.

Believe me, I genuinely appreciate your advice, I just wish you'd take mine once in a while.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Smashfests are sort of hard for us to get to since Sheen doesn't have a car(in slo at least) and I have 2 jobs, so we mostly look to tourneys. All of you should just go to Mango juice since we're both going(and probably bringing ross) and for the fact that Taj is going. That right there is enough of a reason to go.

∫unk

Smash Master
I always listen to what you have to say about how to perform tech and melee matchup knowledge but that's all you've really said.

I don't think I said anything wrong at all based on my knowledge of melee because I was speaking philosophically which usually is indepentendent of which smash game we're talking about.

And sometimes elitism and confidence are the same.

And I'm deifinetly not going to mango juice.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Smashfests are sort of hard for us to get to since Sheen doesn't have a car(in slo at least) and I have 2 jobs, so we mostly look to tourneys. All of you should just go to Mango juice since we're both going(and probably bringing ross) and for the fact that Taj is going. That right there is enough of a reason to go.

well this isn't for another 2 months and it's planned on a saturday...(unless you work that day...bummer for you)

and if Junk isn't going to mango juice I just lost my ride... T_T

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Dude, I work two jobs, i work every day.

You should look up the carpool thread, there's alot of people coming from norcal so they might not mind stopping along the way to pick you up.

Also, i don't post much in this thread because there's rarely anything relevant to my interests here. I only play melee and for the most part the SB community only plays Brawl. I have no reasons to drive all the way to SB for a melee side tourney.

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Dude, I work two jobs, i work every day.

You should look up the carpool thread, there's alot of people coming from norcal so they might not mind stopping along the way to pick you up.

Also, i don't post much in this thread because there's rarely anything relevant to my interests here. I only play melee and for the most part the SB community only plays Brawl. I have no reasons to drive all the way to SB for a melee side tourney.
fair enough. I'm working on the ride issue...

sorry to hear that. would have like to see more smashers come to the area...

The Truth!

Smash Ace
Hey Junk, mind if I come over again? I think these mini smashfests have really been helping me! I might give you a call, and Ill definitely try to make the next tourney to see where I measure up now! It was hard for me to get work off bc by monday it was after the schedule was made =(

Edit: Actually im still feeling sick from this weekend...might be best if I start to seriously take care of myself today x_x.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Hey Junk, mind if I come over again? I think these mini smashfests have really been helping me! I might give you a call, and Ill definitely try to make the next tourney to see where I measure up now! It was hard for me to get work off bc by monday it was after the schedule was made =(

Edit: Actually im still feeling sick from this weekend...might be best if I start to seriously take care of myself today x_x.

who... are you?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Junk, it looks like im probably(99%) NOT gonna be able to go, my sis and my nephew are moving in with us this weekend. But, its not until late saturday when they come...and my aunt has invited me to some kinda old people boat party? I might be able to get out of it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom