• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SC — BANishment — 10/17/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
What does it matter if you play your car homie? If you rode with them expect to play them if they compete...right?
You shouldn't drive 2-3hrs+ to have to compete against someone you rode with during the first round of the bracket.

That's just ****ty.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I don't seed the brackets manually, I use tio and correct for regions and other things it may have missed. Your post insinuated that other people seed brackets improperly I was merely defending myself.

Some advice for you Devin. You don't need to call out other people to try and justify your correctness. It's rude and it doesn't do anything but make you look like a jerk. I have run a lot of tournaments and the way I do it works for me and I realize its not for everyone. I see that you have your own opinions about running tournaments and thats fine but you don't need to call out other T.O.'s on there supposed errors so that you can make yourself look better/justify your opinion. I have seen you do it at least 3 times within the last 2 pages of this thread and it's becoming a bit annoying.

From what I can tell you're new to running tournaments at least large scale ones and I am making the commitment to drive down to SC for a tournament that will only run one event and then I have to be insulted by the TO in the thread about my tournament running policies or capabilities and I have to see others insulted as well. It doesn't look good on your tournament or your skills as a TO when you can't mustur up the control to be civil to others.

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
That's why we're not running two events in one day. Not calling out Omni's ability as a TO or doubting mine, but I've never used this venue before, and the last tournament left a sour taste in my mouth for trying to do too much with too little time.

I'm also severely against running doubles and singles at the same time, Bill might be able to do it at his fests, but things run smoother and are less chaotic when people don't have to be two places at once.

If this one runs well, and people bring setups, then B+ will be on the agenda for next time. However, unlike Omni, I'm trying to think ahead and plan for the worst—better safe than sorry, and unlike Bill, I won't have singles be put on hold for doubles or vise-versa

Edit:

There also won't be any ****ing with the bracket, you'll play who you play unless you rode together. We don't play favorites down here.
I don't seed the brackets manually, I use tio and correct for regions and other things it may have missed. Your post insinuated that other people seed brackets improperly I was merely defending myself.

Some advice for you Devin. You don't need to call out other people to try and justify your correctness. It's rude and it doesn't do anything but make you look like a jerk. I have run a lot of tournaments and the way I do it works for me and I realize its not for everyone. I see that you have your own opinions about running tournaments and thats fine but you don't need to call out other T.O.'s on there supposed errors so that you can make yourself look better/justify your opinion. I have seen you do it at least 3 times within the last 2 pages of this thread and it's becoming a bit annoying.

From what I can tell you're new to running tournaments at least large scale ones and I am making the commitment to drive down to SC for a tournament that will only run one event and then I have to be insulted by the TO in the thread about my tournament running policies or capabilities and I [don't] have to see others insulted as well. It doesn't look good on your tournament or your skills as a TO when you can't muster up the control to be civil to others.
I don't think he was insulting you [IMO] he was saying that what you do works for you and that he wants to do Singles and Dubz separate -- (I don't know from experience) I have heard you do two events at the same time...[no offense] :chuckle:

EDIT: He specifically said "not to call out" [again, just saying] Dev is not one to insult perfectly good TO's -- [IMO] I wouldn't let him lol -- Also, he has never used my venue before so it just makes sense to do it like this and I agree because I know the basics of the place and how well it will work

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
No your fine. I am saying just because someone says, "no offense" or "I'm not calling you out" and then says something immediately following that statement which contradicts it, does not make it "not offensive" or "not calling someone out".

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I think that omni's tournament just left such a bad taste in his mouth that he wants things to go just right. And i dont blame him. Just come to have fun and play smash. If you make money, you make money. If you dont, you had fun.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I think that omni's tournament just left such a bad taste in his mouth that he wants things to go just right. And i dont blame him. Just come to have fun and play smash. If you make money, you make money. If you dont, you had fun.
It doesn't work like that. Making money is necessary to justify me taking off of work. I most definitely even if I place well will not make as much so I need to at least make my gas money back. Besides I wasn't even complaining about money. I was complaining about how Devin feels it necessary to call out other TO's to make his point. I don't care how much of a "bad taste in his mouth" Omni's tournament left, it's still inappropriate.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
It doesn't work like that. Making money is necessary to justify me taking off of work. I most definitely even if I place well will not make as much so I need to at least make my gas money back. Besides I wasn't even complaining about money. I was complaining about how Devin feels it necessary to call out other TO's to make his point. I don't care how much of a "bad taste in his mouth" Omni's tournament left, it's still inappropriate.
I wasnt saying you were complaining about money, but some people are going to. and some people have.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
And they should and they have the right to. This tournament is trying to be bring NC players but is 3 hours away from central NC and will only run 1 event. Some might say its not worth the money or the time to drive 3 hours for such a tournament.

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
And they should and they have the right to. This tournament is trying to be bring NC players but is 3 hours away from central NC and will only run 1 event. Same might say its not worth the money or the time to drive 3 hours for such a tournament.

I understand that, just like people that flew and drove all the way down, over, and up for HERB which was quite expensive on peoples pockets - but they were willing to come, people made the time and money to come...(wish I did >_>)

Does that justify that this is one event -- No, not at all because HERB was a two day event with a bigger venue -- but that doesn't say that we won't add another event if the first and foremost one goes 100% well -- We only have this venue for one day...and no one wants to be there all night, right?

So we take it one event at a time, if we get the necessary set-ups then this will go faster than expected and we might be able to add another event -- Devin doesn't want to post an event that might not finish nor might not happen -- this place is built for a SC/NC collaboration not a large scale event (I.E. HERB, Genesis, or even slightly smaller but big monthlies like in MD/VA)

As of now Brawl is still the most popular game (which saddens me :( [lollz]) so it's easier to start with that -- [and Brawl is just plain slow - IMO]

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I understand the decision made. Really the only reason I am speaking out against it is because of the way Devin choose to bash others to make his point. I was and am still, rather annoyed with the immaturity shown.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
I understand the decision made. Really the only reason I am speaking out against it is because of the way Devin choose to bash others to make his point. I was and am still, rather annoyed with the immaturity shown.
I only see it as using examples. He was pointing out things that he thought was wrong at other tourneys. If he would have left that part out, would we have said he was doing these things for no particular reason.

Lareit

Smash Ace
Okay then, I'll let him explain himself for that...if thats how you feel
Bill and Devin have an apprehensive relationship, which they should simply push past and replace it with professional courtesy. Thus, bypassing all current bias.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
It is how I feel and I don't see it as using examples at all and honestly I don't think you or anyone who can read would see it as such. You are defending him because he is your friend and I don't blame you for that but bias aside if you re-read the posts I think you will see what I said was true. He condescendingly called out 2 different TO's, 3 separate times over the course of 2 pages of thread. If he wants to run one event just to make sure it runs smoothly he can say that, he doesn't need to call out Omni trying or me running 2 events at the same time and insinuating that there is something wrong with that. And about the bracket and seeding, he brought that up out of no-where for no reason. No one even mentioned brackets until him but he felt it necessary to insinuate that others were doing it incorrectly thats when I stepped in and defended myself.

edit: This has nothing to do with my bias. Re-read what I brought up and try to read it careful. I assure you, you will see what I have said is true.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Thunder: sigh
Philosoraptor: sup?
Thunder: i wish i knew what it was abou smash bros that makes people inherently ready to jump down other people's throats
Thunder: i mean, it's called smash BROS

cant we all just remember this token of wisdom in the future?

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Alrighty. I'm gonna step in for a second and give my little 2 cents.

I personally don't think Devin was trying to insult anyone. (I'd like to believe that I'm not the kind of person to be biased at all. Take from that what you will) Just merely stating examples to explain his decision of hosting 1 event. From what I know of Devin as a person (not bias, just stating what I've seen) he isn't the kind of person who would just instantly shut out someone to make himself look better.

Plus, Smash is all about having a good time, atleast from my perspective. he just wants to ensure that everyone can have said good time. I know I was a tad dissapointed when I got 3rd in my pool instead of 2nd at HERB (no downs to you Bill, they were great matches and you deserved the win) and if we had more time I still could've made it into the bracket. I'd hate for that to happen in SC (which already need major help with it's smash scene) so that we wouldn't be able to finish one event and make people not want to come back.

Just my 2 cents.

zCasanova

Smash Lord
What's the problem, Bill?

When you asked off work, the tournament was only having one event, and nothing's changed since then, including the drive-time, so why are you complaining?

If you're playing the game solely for money, then you're playing for the wrong reasons. I like to win, and money is cool, too, but whether or not I think I'm going to win doesn't factor into my attendance. If I can't afford to go, I can't afford to go.

It's a SC tournament, anyway, I'm sure you'll place fine—we have what?—five competitive Smashers in the state?

I apologize if you feel like I've called you out, but I was simply defending against your saying the brackets wouldn't be seeded properly—I don't need six people huddled around the computer to tell me where they'd like to be placed, because that completely eliminates the element of randomness that comes with the tournament scene.

I'm quite clear on how to run a tournament, but if any insults have been given, I don't feel like I'm in that boat alone, you're a passenger, too—against both myself and Omni. I believe it's too late for you to defend him against me, since you were one of the first to call him out based on his most recent performance as TO.

But, what's done is done, and what works for you, works for you—manual seeding, running doubles and singles at the same time, whatever—it's your tournament. You know your state better than I do.

How did this turn into a flame war? Just come and have fun, if you win you win.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I didn't mean for it to turn into a flame war but to be honest I still believe you incorrectly called me out and that after myself bringing it up your allowing that that may be the case. Either way, I understand your point and so I'll let it alone. However about your statement on why people play smash; I believe that your opinion is rather close minded. People play smash for different reasons and if someone plays for money that is their prerogative and it is not necessarily an incorrect one (not saying I do, I just like to make my gas money back if I can). Either way I apologize for my part on what this issue seems to have come to.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I didn't mean for it to turn into a flame war but to be honest I still believe you incorrectly called me out and that after myself bringing it up your allowing that that may be the case. Either way, I understand your point and so I'll let it alone. However about your statement on why people play smash; I believe that your opinion is rather close minded. People play smash for different reasons and if someone plays for money that is their prerogative and it is not necessarily an incorrect one (not saying I do, I just like to make my gas money back if I can). Either way I apologize for my part on what this issue seems to have come to.
So you commin?

Stingerz too?

I'm really hoping the wedding gets postponed. I want to come to this. I hate weddings anyway. Heck, I don't even know the people

zCasanova

Smash Lord
Tell your parents you don't want to go and have them drop you off for the day.

$20 is cheap babysitting, especially as an all-day thing.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
If I do that, I'm alittle afraid that they will start scolding me about how all I want to do is play video games and the usual stuff.

I'm gonna do it anyway.

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
I play to become the greatest player to ever play the game...except regular Brawl -- I don't care about that >_>

There are people that wouldn't play if it was for "pure" fun, period

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I play because it's fun. I do sorta strive to be great at it, but that ties into me having fun.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
*Lurk'd*

I'm glad you guys kissed and made up on your own. <3

SC tourneys need more Don Hudson btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom