• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I have always loved watching melee vids, even back when I had just entered the competitive scene. The more you learn about the game and the more you play it, the more interesting it becomes to watch other people better than you playing.

If you didn't find the matches between PC and KDJ entertaining then you have absolutely no clue how to play melee.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It's not about entertainment value, it's about appreciation. If you are interested in competitive gaming and you do not appreciate the skill and mental dynamics involved in being either of those games, or any others, then you don't understand it. You don't have to ENJOY watching Iron Chef to APPRECIATE their talent and skill. You don't have to have ever played a serious game of basketball to appreciate Michael Jordan.

I don't see much skill involved in Brawl. It's a simple game.

I would much rather play RPS competitively than Brawl. I think RPS has more depth than Brawl on a competitive level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdL5c-gYvs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgrvQWmZTWA&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZGkFuLJZy6M

kainzero

Smash Rookie
idk All of the things you're saying doesn't make Brawl worse I suppose HAVE to be a matter of opinion. Competitively I believe that the game is in fact made worse (less competitive) because:
  • it's so much slower and doesn't punish the inability to think quickly
  • ...it's less deep? seems obvious to me.
  • there are no followups, therefore winning setup battles is more/less worthless and making mistakes goes unpunished
I also believe that this is fairly obvious: in a match between a person who can think quickly, understand nuances, and is technically good enough at the game engine to quickly attack and follow up vs a person who is awful at all these things, they are on a more/less even playing field.

That, to me, is awful and wrong.
Regarding "depth": I'm gonna bring up that terrible game I made up with the button again.

There's a button, and when it lights up, whoever presses it wins.

So I can think of ways to get better at this game. I can improve my joint health, my reaction time, add muscle, maybe bend the rules a little and shove other people out of the way. All's good and well.

Now let's add another dimension: we'll add another button to the game, so that one of the two buttons will light up and whoever presses the one that lights up wins.

That adds another skill set I have to learn; distinguishing between which button to press. Maybe I have to train both of my arms instead of just one. I have to think quickly and determine which one lights up as well, a new dimension. I can't shove people out of the way easily because they might come from another direction.

The new addition changes the skill set required to some degree, and there may be some people in the first game that aren't as good as they are in the second game.

IF several players have reached the peak of skill at the first game, then only then will the second game be more competitive. However, I don't believe anyone has ever peaked in any game.

I also think we need to redefine depth. Multiple options being "breadth," and the potential for improvement in each option as "depth."

As for thinking quickly, we can point to chess. It plays completely different in Lightning in which you have 2 minutes to make all your moves than it does in a standard game of 30 minutes. You can be better at one than the other. The speed of the game does not truly make a difference, it only calls for a different skill set.

About punishability:
I read your other post where you brought up things like Ganon's Dair leaving him at a disadvantage at low percentages, and how you can't punish mistakes.
Well, if you can't punish a mistake... it's not really a mistake, is it? :)
If I know that Ganon's Dair lets him get hit for free, then I can't really rely on that move at those percentages, right?

What I am trying to convey is the following:
Competitiveness only exists at extremely high levels that I don't think anyone has reached in any game. It may require a different skill set. There may be less options. But unless someone has truly reached the peak of ability, no one can't really judge this.

The only thing I can really agree with you on is randomness, tripping and the like. Things beyond our control can really change the game. In this case, I totally agree about Melee being more competitive in terms of things we can control.

About what I personally think:
-Playing Brawl makes me wish I were good at Melee during its peak, because I think it's more fun. I realized there's so many things in Melee I never learned to do.
-All the money and fame and competition, currently, is being at Brawl and not Melee.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
There really isn't much skill involved in Brawl. The only reason Azen keeps winning over here is because he is smarter at the game and plays it WAY more than the rest of us. If I played it as much as he did, I honestly would have a chance at beating him and that's the sad truth. This would NEVER happen in melee. Even if I had equal experience to Azen in melee, it doesn't mean I would win. That's due to his superior mindgames, something that cannot be taught. The mindgames in Brawl, however, are very easy to follow because the game is slow. If you just play defensive as hell, you will have an advantage and mostly will win.

pockyD

Smash Legend
there's nothing wrong with not enjoying melee videos, but i would definitely like to hear from anyone who prefers watching brawl videos instead

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Well if there is one game that had success at this speed at Brawl is at right now. It's SF II, however SF II was not about Advance Tech but timing and mostly camping. While SF II Turbo Hyper Edition was more competitive because of it's speed. Even today I still see people playing that version of the game because it's speed. Games like MvC, Tekken, SC and even Guilty Gear have a certain speed that makes it competitive. Once that sense of speed and comfortability is gone you are reduced to mindgames and just camping half of the time.

Although VF 5 is the only game I can think were real technical skills are needed to be applied because it's "realism" of fighting games. However the competitiveness is how many moves you know and can pull them off to make combos not about it's speed. Both SB64 and Melee had a certain sense of speed where you know you have can actual competition. Brawl with it's speed it's kid of who camp the most and who can spam the most.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
@Brookman: I agree with you on one thing - appreciation and entertainment are two completely different things. I'm all for learning, and so I'll watch Melee (or Brawl, if there are any) vids to learn and to appreciate (in the case of Melee) people who can do things I can't... but, like I've said before, both of these games stand for different things and test different skill sets, so comparing two videos and somehow making a decision based on that is ludicrous, as far as I'm concerned.

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
I'm ready (if need be) to be put on the list of stupid people.

Personal disclaimer:
I am not going to give my personal opinion on this, nor am I going to read approx. 150 pages which will most likely full of things that are completely irrelevant. I will also most likely make completely stupid points myself.

Brawl's lack of depth seems to stem from the lack of skills that require a large portion of time and skill to master. There is no wavedashing, or L-canceling. So why are people still clinging to brawl as a potential competitive fighting game? The characters. With thirty-seven (thirty-nine when dividing up Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard which I would suggest against) of them, you'd expect for there to be only about seven of them to be played by pros (after all, only about 20% of the Melee characters were considered "good").This just isn't the case though and it opens up a whole new world of dpeth, the chacacter mindgame.

For example, I play one character religiously right now, Diddy Kong, who many believe will be a high to top tier character. I was against a Ganondorf player of about equal skill. He won the bulk of the matches. The question is why. The answer is simple, I was not expected a Ganondorf of that skill, nor was I expecting ganondorf to be able to beat a fast character like Diddy. Though I had played a Ganondorf before, I saw things that were completely unexpected that other high tier characters just didn't/couldn't do.

Comboes are not always the heart of fighting games either. A fair share of fighting games that I've played were not combo oriennted, such as Guilty Gear XX. Though they do add a good amount of potential to a game they are not always the key to competitive gameplay.

Melee competition was all about how to keep your opponent from doing anything during the game, Brawl competition is all about before you pick your character and how to get the upper hand if you picked the wrong character.

You may begin your disagreements.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I don't need to disagree, nor do I need to call you stupid. I can dismiss your points based on the simple fact that you ARE NOT GOOD AT BRAWL.

No offense, of course, but brawl is going to see many characters obsoleted by 'advanced' play.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
I was going to say that. I was like uh...Okay I've beaten a Diddy with my Link. And guess what Link is slower than Diddy...Of course it wasn't that hard. All I did was spam most of the match.

Have you played Guilty Gear before? There are combos, of course they are not very long. They are brief and short just like some of the Brawl combos. Except in Brawl the combos don't actually exist they are "myth combos".

.......Um, Melee is also about character matchups ya know. And so is every other Fighting game..It isn't new ya know?

Scar

#HarveyDent
Common theme of the day: People who haven't had the opportunity to play with high level Melee or Brawl players really don't know what they are talking about. They think they do, though.

Ciel~Image

Smash Apprentice
Brookman, I understood everything that happened in that video; when I still lived in Washington state, I played a Fox just like that one (but not as skilled) all the time. I understand, but *gasp* I still don't find it entertaining. I understand executions and how they work, but, lo and behold, I wouldn't find watching one of them entertaining, either. I understand how cooking works, but I hate Iron Chef.

See what I'm getting at?

People love to assume that, if you don't like watching a Melee (or SF, or whatever) pro fight, then, well, you must not understand it because how on Earth could you not watch that and just not love it? It isn't what I like watching, so freakin' sue me. That match proves... well, not much. Certainly doesn't prove how one game is any better than the other, that's for sure.
You don't like Iron Chef?

Now you've lost all credibility.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Still I kind of wish Sakurai make another Brawl except the title reads: Super Smash Brawl Turbo: Now at Melee speed and gravity.

Man kind of wish I was playing Super Street Fighter II Turbo. : D At least that has a more competitive feel than Brawl does. Even though Melee was "broken" to an extent. However it didn't matter on the Tier situation that much because even though you picked Fox, you still have to know how to play as Fox. As to oppose to Brawl you can pretty much pick up and play most of the roster.

And no I'm not saying "Tiers dun exist lulz". Even though Fox is top tier in Melee that doesn't guarantee a auto win if you have no idea what you are doing.

RDK

Smash Hero
Common theme of the day: People who haven't had the opportunity to play with high level Melee or Brawl players really don't know what they are talking about. They think they do, though.
Welcome to Smashboards.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
there's nothing wrong with not enjoying melee videos, but i would definitely like to hear from anyone who prefers watching brawl videos instead
If it has items in it I would. No item matchs are a bore in Melee and Brawl. SHOW ME THE DESTRUCTION AND CHAOS!!!!

But that's just the type of person I am, I don't like watching Matchs unless I'm playing them, or if they have a item twist, like a Smash Ball come out of the blue and some one used it to win the match. Now that's a hot match to me.

Gamerjoe

Smash Rookie
This is completely ridiculous, so long as someone disagrees with Scar’s opinion, then they are automatically assumed to be clueless about Melee. Whatever, I can’t (nor should I have to) convince anyone how well I know Melee but it doesn’t really matter. If you’re going to quote anything I write can you at least address the main issue that I posted earlier?

What is the point of this thread? Assuming everyone who believes Brawl is a deep game is wrong, then why bother making a thread just to have everyone agree with that? Besides, it’s not like Melee disappeared when Brawl launched, just play Melee if you don’t like Brawl. If you’re disappointed with Brawl, then I’m truly sorry, but why is it hard to believe that there may be some people who actually like the changes made in Brawl?

The saddest part is I never even disagreed with Scar, I’m just asking some questions. If people, who think Brawl has enough depth to be competitive, are not allowed to post on the Smash Boards, then it would help clear some confusion if a Moderator somehow made that clear.

Alukard

Smash Hero
This is completely ridiculous, so long as someone disagrees with Scar’s opinion, then they are automatically assumed to be clueless about Melee. Whatever, I can’t (nor should I have to) convince anyone how well I know Melee but it doesn’t really matter. If you’re going to quote anything I write can you at least address the main issue that I posted earlier?

What is the point of this thread? Assuming everyone who believes Brawl is a deep game is wrong, then why bother making a thread just to have everyone agree with that? Besides, it’s not like Melee disappeared when Brawl launched, just play Melee if you don’t like Brawl. If you’re disappointed with Brawl, then I’m truly sorry, but why is it hard to believe that there may be some people who actually like the changes made in Brawl?

The saddest part is I never even disagreed with Scar, I’m just asking some questions. If people, who think Brawl has enough depth to be competitive, are not allowed to post on the Smash Boards, then it would help clear some confusion if a Moderator somehow made that clear.
MM? melee or brawl ... can't let u talk bout my n!ggah duzioooos like that

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't get why you think you would be able to understand the competitive melee scene if you weren't a part of it

and if you don't understand it, how can you make any comparisons between it and brawl?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
This is completely ridiculous, so long as someone disagrees with Scar’s opinion, then they are automatically assumed to be clueless about Melee.
It's not disagreeing with opinion... because it's painfully obvious when someone has never played competitively. When someone comes in and makes blatantly false assertions (i.e. "melee is just wavedashing and l-canceling; it has no depth"), and they obviously haven't had any experience with the issue while Scar & co. HAVE, we have to call them out on it.

Well, there are at least two valid purposes for such a thread. One is to hopefully mitigate some of the ignorance going around the boards in the form of brawl people who know nothing about melee. Two is to have a place to debate with the "brawl is as competitive" people, because it's a very popular subject to debate and some people do enjoy this sort of thing (it's a strange sort of masochism; I have it myself.) Three, if someone comes in with VALID points and can prove us wrong, then so much the better! It'd be awesome if brawl was an improvement on melee. However, we will definitely refute overused and false statements, and we will definitely discredit the posts of people who don't have experience with high level play, yet insist on making strong assertions that are mostly false.

Also, scar, you should add "just go play melee" to your list of "overused and meaningless retorts made by pro-brawl people".

Because somehow, brawl has stolen all of melee's thunder tournament wise, for now. Even if we want to just give up on brawl and play melee, it's much harder to do so than before.

Cless

Smash Champion
Scar, I don't really have anything intelligent to add because I'm not a very smart person. I just wanted to post in your thread because I love you man, hahaha.

You can put me on the stupid poster list if you want. :laugh:

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace

Helkulkhamen

Smash Cadet
If Brawl is less "competitive" (as defined in the OP) than melee, then how will that affect Brawl's "competitive" scene? Will Brawl tournaments still be held just as Melee tournaments once were (and perhaps still are)?

Brookman

Smash Hero
Yes, there are Brawl tournaments. Yes, you can use Brawl as a means of competition. Yes, noobs who talk about how much better brawl is than melee are going to go to them and get crushed and never attend another tournament again. No, Brawl is not a good game.

Yes, SSE is the best part of Brawl.

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
It's not disagreeing with opinion... because it's painfully obvious when someone has never played competitively. When someone comes in and makes blatantly false assertions (i.e. "melee is just wavedashing and l-canceling; it has no depth"), and they obviously haven't had any experience with the issue while Scar & co. HAVE, we have to call them out on it.
Where oh where did I say that Melee has no depth, If I recall correctly, I implied that Brawl lacked the depth of skill because of it lacked these pivotal skills. However, brawl as it stands and will most likely stand is actually balanced. My brother (who does have competitive knowledge as believe it or not, there are actually tournaments outside of your little world of MLG"Pro" such as Otakon tournaments and the like.") would have loved to been able to play his original Smash character (Pikachu) in Melee but was basically FORCED to play Marth to compete. Now in Brawl he can play Ike or Pit or any character he feels like playing. Play in a real competition like Magic: the Gathering back in the days of early Onslaught-Mirrodin without playing affinity. That = Lose. Now jump forward into Pre-Lorwyn Standard (TSP and RAV) You could play, Sadin Aggro, Rakdos Aggro, Blink, Aussie Storm, Tarmorack, and much MUCH more. which of those days were better for Wizards of the Coast? Easy, Pre-Lorwyn. A rule of thumb to all you elitists, Diversity makes everything better.

BTW: In GGXX, you could perform combos, but there was a little meter that diminished the power of combos, proving the point that the games design was not pro-combo.

Brookman

Smash Hero
no, he just has to use marth to win, and therefore sucks.

Not to mention he calls otakon a legit tournament :laugh:

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Where oh where did I say that Melee has no depth, If I recall correctly, I implied that Brawl lacked the depth of skill because of it lacked these pivotal skills. However, brawl as it stands and will most likely stand is actually balanced. My brother (who does have competitive knowledge as believe it or not, there are actually tournaments outside of your little world of MLG"Pro" such as Otakon tournaments and the like.") would have loved to been able to play his original Smash character (Pikachu) in Melee but was basically FORCED to play Marth to compete. Now in Brawl he can play Ike or Pit or any character he feels like playing. Play in a real competition like Magic: the Gathering back in the days of early Onslaught-Mirrodin without playing affinity. That = Lose. Now jump forward into Pre-Lorwyn Standard (TSP and RAV) You could play, Sadin Aggro, Rakdos Aggro, Blink, Aussie Storm, Tarmorack, and much MUCH more. which of those days were better for Wizards of the Coast? Easy, Pre-Lorwyn. A rule of thumb to all you elitists, Diversity makes everything better.
That wasn't addressed to you, you know. If you notice I quoted someone else's post; it was a response to his. The bit about "melee having no depth" was a paraphrasing of nekoboy's incredibly ignorant posts from a few pages back. It was just an example.

And the magic talk is funny because I recognize your rather distinctive name from the Wizards Magic forums ^__^

Your example of your brother, by the way, only illustrates that brawl is newbie-friendly. That is in no way evidence that brawl is more balanced than melee. I'm not insulting your brother's skill, but you can't cite playing smash at "otakon and the like" to be competitive experience. That's like citing fnm as competitive experience when everyone's talking about the ptq metagame. How can you back up your assertion that the metagame of truly competitive brawl tournaments will be more diverse?

And ouch at the elitist label. I dunno if this analogy makes it clearer or not, but our arguments on these forums are essentially the same as those threads on MTG forums where we try to convince a few certain people that Tarmogoyf is a good card. I don't really consider any of this elitist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom