• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
wavedash backwards? people can still combo depending on which move you powershield. (l-cancel most moves into another fast move). if you powershield a long-lasting smash or laggy move in general, dash grab is prolly best option, punish from there
if its a long lasting laggy smash move do you even need to power shield lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
driving around is hard. why bother with that when you can play other games with your far away bros over the interwebz? at least that's where I'm at in my life. I still love melee but having to invest 1+ hours in driving to play on a weeknight just sucks when you have a real job and real responsibilities :(.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
there's a difference between loving it and it being practical to get noticeably better. look, if you still have the drive, awesome, great for you, but you have to understand that for some players, the prospect of having to drive 30+ minutes each way on a weeknight after going to work and the gym and preparing dinner and cleaning up just isn't appealing anymore. I love Melee and wish it were easier to play, but it's just too inconvenient at this point.

EDIT: and oh yea, all day tournament are so tiring. I dunno how I used to be able to do it in retrospect, but nowadays I just don't wanna spend an entire day playing Smash.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
there's a difference between loving it and it being practical to get noticeably better. look, if you still have the drive, awesome, great for you, but you have to understand that for some players, the prospect of having to drive 30+ minutes each way on a weeknight after going to work and the gym and preparing dinner and cleaning up just isn't appealing anymore. I love Melee and wish it were easier to play, but it's just too inconvenient at this point.

EDIT: and oh yea, all day tournament are so tiring. I dunno how I used to be able to do it in retrospect, but nowadays I just don't wanna spend an entire day playing Smash.
Well it just means you are not willing to sacrifice as much time for smash as you used to. I'm pretty sure in anything competitive you have to sacrifice a lot of things if you want to be super pro at it. Like there's no way to become a pro fighter without training like a mother ****er. Just last weekend, we drove 12 hours there and back just to play the Toronto guys for 1 day and see how we can improve even more.

30 mins is nothing!!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
right, I don't wanna be competitive at smash because it requires too much from me. Life is getting in the way and frankly, I'm pretty content to allow life take priority over smash. If you have the time and the drive, that's fine, I'm just saying that not everyone does, but it doesn't mean that they've lost the love of the game, so much as other **** has come up and thus as a means of casual competition, they need to migrate to other games which are more convenient to play on a regular basis (namely online games which can be played without invest time in travel).

otg

Smash Master
driving around is hard. why bother with that when you can play other games with your far away bros over the interwebz? at least that's where I'm at in my life. I still love melee but having to invest 1+ hours in driving to play on a weeknight just sucks when you have a real job and real responsibilities :(.
I feel you Wes, but we're homies outside of melee and its gay that you aren't wiling to come chill every now and then when I do hit you up. I work two jobs, go to the gym daily, and prepare my own meals, but I'll gladly drive up to stamford just to get camped by you all night.

It's not even a sacrifice in my eyes, and I really don't have much drive to get "better", it's more for my friends then anything else.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I feel you Wes, but we're homies outside of melee and its gay that you aren't wiling to come chill every now and then when I do hit you up. I work two jobs, go to the gym daily, and prepare my own meals, but I'll gladly drive up to stamford just to get camped by you all night.

It's not even a sacrifice in my eyes, and I really don't have much drive to get "better", it's more for my friends then anything else.
I just meant sacrifice as a choice to where you put your time into everyday. You can always choose to do whatever you want, anytime you want. No one is locked or trapped in anything.

right, I don't wanna be competitive at smash because it requires too much from me. Life is getting in the way and frankly, I'm pretty content to allow life take priority over smash. If you have the time and the drive, that's fine, I'm just saying that not everyone does, but it doesn't mean that they've lost the love of the game, so much as other **** has come up and thus as a means of casual competition, they need to migrate to other games which are more convenient to play on a regular basis (namely online games which can be played without invest time in travel).
Well ya, it depends what you want to do. No one can force you to do anything. =P

Tomacawk

Smash Master
wow, g-reg just came in here and didn't have anything negative to say
it's not often that we appease one of the falcon dieties

Shroomed

Smash Master
i transferred to a UC recently and it seriously cut my smashing time =(

i pretty much only get to play at tournies now and maybe once a week but i can't stop playing until i win money at a national

dont give up mogwai!!!!
jus cut it bak instead of go cold turkey

but then again everyone is only like 10mins from me lol

Tomacawk

Smash Master
>>Implying that being competitive as smash means you have no life
Smash is part of life; just as any video game is. I see no reason in acting embarrassed or ashamed of it, playing smash has been and continues to be some of the best times of my life, and I'm willing to (using your word, although I think that does a terrible job conveying what I'm trying to say) sacrifice free time and money from work, college, and the rest of my local life.

Smash and its players have made me the man I am today, will shape the man I'll be tomorrow, and have rewarded me for sharpening my skills, wit, and reflexes.

Shroomed

Smash Master
>>Implying that being competitive as smash means you have no life
Smash is part of life; just as any video game is. I see no reason in acting embarrassed or ashamed of it, playing smash has been and continues to be some of the best times of my life, and I'm willing to (using your word, although I think that does a terrible job conveying what I'm trying to say) sacrifice free time and money from work, college, and the rest of my local life.

Smash and its players have made me the man I am today, will shape the man I'll be tomorrow, and have rewarded me for sharpening my skills, wit, and reflexes.
i approve of this post =)

Niko45

Smash Master
I highly doubt Mogwai was implying that you have no life if you play smash lol. Just that if you want to keep getting better and moving forward with it it has to be a pretty high priority in your life, and it's just naturally becoming less and less of a priority for him. Full time work is a ***** people, get ****in ready.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I highly doubt Mogwai was implying that you have no life if you play smash lol. Just that if you want to keep getting better and moving forward with it it has to be a pretty high priority in your life, and it's just naturally becoming less and less of a priority for him. Full time work is a ***** people, get ****in ready.
Your mom is a full time job too, it's pretty easy after work to play a few hours to improve with your friends. =P

Shroomed

Smash Master
i dont know what my life would be like right now w/o smash

i've met so many cool people and had some pretty cool experiences thanks to smash

i'll always love this game and can see myself teaching my kids LOL (kinda serious tho)

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
word shroomed

smash has been a seriously positive aspect of my life for 5 years now

even when ive been less able to go to tournaments, i still play when its viable because its simply what i love to do

legion598

Smash Ace
I cant say it takes CONSTANT play to improve I find that I play better when I take frequent beaks from playing. I agree with tomacawk though I feel like this game has improved me in many ways including making me smarter and even better at quick thinking. I also feel as though if someone tried to mug me I could jump up and knee them in the face due to my falcon training, doing a Nair however, that would take some serious conditioning

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Smash is stress relief for me.

Relieving stress is important for functioning, and can make you more efficient when you are in the workplace, or school.

There is a limit, but I like to play a little bit every day so I can unwind.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yea, pretty much this.

I'm not quitting smash, I dunno how we even got on this... Oh yea, G-Reg talked about not playing smash and instead playing computer games. Right, so the point is just that as video games in general become less of a priority in a person's life, the traveling that is required to actually play smash becomes a much bigger deterrent and other games start to move in as your day-to-day games of choice simply for logistical reasons.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I wish smash tournaments didn't take all day. I've never been good enough to win a tournament and I am OK with that. I mainly go to events because I like the people. Some of my favorite moments in tournaments were rides to and from them and stopping for food. I wish there was more time to hang out and actually engage in conversation then sit there and be engrossed by the game.

At Rom, Mogwai and myself are gonna **** teams with our secret super rusty team.

Back on topic: falcon blows.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
yea ive been playing other games and doing other things, thus setting back my "melee regiment". anytime i ever under-perform in tourney, i dont blame it on "doing other things", i blame it on the lack of practice that stems from doing other things. id obviously like to get a good session of melee in every day, but doing that isn't as convenient as it used to be.... i still absolutely love playing the game though!

but enough johns

Mizar

Smash Ace
yea ive been playing other games and doing other things, thus setting back my "melee regiment". anytime i ever under-perform in tourney, i dont blame it on "doing other things", i blame it on the lack of practice that stems from doing other things. id obviously like to get a good session of melee in every day, but doing that isn't as convenient as it used to be.... i still absolutely love playing the game though!

but enough johns
You just confirmed for ROM3, GENESIS 2 and Pound5.
Show me your moves.

otg

Smash Master
I wish smash tournaments didn't take all day. I've never been good enough to win a tournament and I am OK with that. I mainly go to events because I like the people. Some of my favorite moments in tournaments were rides to and from them and stopping for food. I wish there was more time to hang out and actually engage in conversation then sit there and be engrossed by the game.

At Rom, Mogwai and myself are gonna **** teams with our secret super rusty team.

Back on topic: falcon blows.
Truth be told, I spend a lot of time at tournies just chillin and talking with people. I really don't play many friendlies outside of tournament matches because this game gets boring real fast if you're doing nothing but playing it. I'm def with you tho, some of the besst time i've had have been driving to tournies with people and going out and what not.

"it's ok ma doo, I'm just going for a lil DIP"

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Truth be told, I spend a lot of time at tournies just chillin and talking with people. I really don't play many friendlies outside of tournament matches because this game gets boring real fast if you're doing nothing but playing it. I'm def with you tho, some of the besst time i've had have been driving to tournies with people and going out and what not.

"it's ok ma doo, I'm just going for a lil DIP"
I wasn't even there, but you told me it was:

"it's alright ma doo, I'ma just go for a lil DIP"

And despite not being there, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard come out of smash, 3rd to M2K's Blastoise vs. Inui and Yaneev's ****in' otg witnesses a **** transcript, lol.

Shroomed

Smash Master
i'd stop goin to locals in a heartbeat if certain people stopped attending

the game is amazing, but i would be so gone if the community wasn't as amazing as it is

the community is more important than the game IMO

otg

Smash Master
I wasn't even there, but you told me it was:

"it's alright ma doo, I'ma just go for a lil DIP"

And despite not being there, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard come out of smash, 3rd to M2K's Blastoise vs. Inui and Yaneev's ****in' otg witnesses a **** transcript, lol.
Yeah you're right, that was it.

Yaneev taking 2 out of the top 3 spots? Kid is too ******** for the melee community. No one really understands.

otg

Smash Master
Yaneev == Tuna, a player in our crew who is now #2 in NYS behind Jesiah, and since everyone is on his nuts I'm sure they will shower Tuna's soon as well since he and Jesiah are like neck and neck atm.

Once he gains that national attention, I'll put together a thread like the roasts of PBNJ and DJN with all of the horrible ******** things he has said and done. But if you're really curious, you could always read through the 220+ pages of the TFS thread (at 40 ppp) and see for yourself. Even still, that's only a small taste of the true ***********, we tend to leave most of this stuff off the boards.

D

Deleted member

Smash has fuked up my future

I've have some good times with smashers though so more than worth fuking my life

Top Bottom