• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Walt

Smash Ace
One of the thing I think looks coolest in smash is techchasing platforms with waveland grab. Sooooo cool. If you get them to shield before getting grabbed it's like a platform tomahawk. Falcon kinda sucks at it though.

D

Deleted member

it's a decent choice to just waveland on preemptively when their flopping body is gunna land on the plat, you cover every option except tech in place easily and even tech in place is fairly simple

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well if you waveland too late on the platform, you'll most likely get rising attacked away as you are jumping and that sucks. If you manage to read a shield or a roll then you'll easily grab them. Or if you waveland early, and then even read the rising attack or roll, you can definitely SH or FH Dair mindgame to get it. Or DJ over the rising attack if you can, into dair or knee depending on how you face them and the %. Or I like to Dsmash on the middle of a platform, it covers everything rofl.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
I've taken a page out of Darkrain's book and started using ftilt more. If you miss a tech chase sometimes a followup ftilt can catch spacies who try to run back in and **** you up. A uthrow ftilt can sometimes produce nice combo DI for a knee. Also, down angled ftilt edgeguard ***** double jumps.
lulz I used to think that shiz only worked on cpu's

Walt

Smash Ace
I am so bored. Everyone at work finished all their work at like 2:30. Just gotta wait another 45 minutes for 5 to get out.

edit: just watched IKM2 and 3 and realized this isn't the 'talk about not falcon' thread so: anyone have frame data on the absolute lastest you can do each of the 5 aerials out with at least one active frame? I notcied I don't make as much use of late airs as I could.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It didn't look like a Doraki walljump to me, he drops down very slightly by the looks of it on super slow mo
Then again, I didn't know either was possible on Dreamland ...
Magus magus420 ganondorf techchasing wizard

Windrose

Smash Lord
I wanna see some of this sliq commentary

What the heck, that's so weird. Is this similar to the mechanics of how scar does that thing where he just instantly knees...in IKM videos

D

Deleted member

what i enjoy most on platform techchasing is if u are already on the plat, do a shorthop d-air without fastfalling and adjust ur positioning if they tech away and you can still get them

mers

Smash Ace
That's a Doraki. Falcon can do it, extremely rarely. I've also seen it done on FD. It happens after you up-B as low as possible to grab the edge. It's very easy to do with Fox, but for some reason it's essentially impossible with Falcon. It just happens occasionally and makes you **** your pants.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
That's just the thing. Is there a time frame in which you have to tap away? Or does it just matter how you got there? Either way, I have trouble making sense of it.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question. As Falcon (or just anyone) what's the best way to learn from Smashboards. Obviously I can watch videos and see things happen, but as far as reading the text. What should I be doing, normally when I read text I just visualize the situations being described and think of when I could apply them. Or when that's happened to me, etc. What do you Smash Scholars do when reading guides/advice on this thread or any other thread.

Walt

Smash Ace
Try thinking about only 1-2 techniques/situations at a time per play session with real people, and try to apply them until it becomes second nature. Don't worry if you lose because you're trying to do something without actively thinking about it, just get it to happen. Once you have it down, add a new one. Thinking about your playing mid game is good but getting good subconscious habits is needed. Just starting examples would be like wavedashing, l-canceling, edgeguarding, after that stuff like stage control, crouch canceling, mixing up approaches and play style mid match.

Windrose

Smash Lord
There are guides of different levels of difficulty. Some are too complicated for beginners to understand. Imo, it depends on your skill level.

For example, when you just start the game, you probably don't need to read that much beyond the basic FAQ threads that tell you how to L-cancel, wave dash adn even short hop or w.e. The majority of your time is spent practicing these basic tech skills.

linkoninja

Smash Journeyman
Well I'd probably consider myself like intermediate? I'm no where near a pro
but I'm not a beginner
I can sh, wd, l-cancel, shffl, di very effectively. Right now I'm just trying to work on things that can't be taught such as proper spacing, and mind-games etc. Option selecting and other things like that

0Room

Smash Lord
The best way to learn is to play.

I know that's strange but it's true.
I just came back from G6 and I learned all kinds of stuff I never would have learned just talking and thinking about the game. NC is really great for that because we see each other a lot [myself excluded, but they welcome me anyway] so we just end up talking and helping each other out.
It's really cool stuff.

But anyway
I'm realizing you need a lot of experience to really apply things
Even in theory
So you can read stuff, and remember stuff, but you're basically going to have to make it up as you go along.

Most useful info for me:
Guaranteed throws->stuff [Falcon throws falcon uthrow->dsmash 80% for example]
and general character things, like mindsets and best options [spacies usually tech in place, for example]
So
Whatevs

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
The best way to learn is to play.

I know that's strangeobvious but it's true.
Whatevs
<_<
Thought everyone knew that haha
You can theorycraft all you want but it doesn't do jack until you get your hands dirty

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I think theory is really once you've played enough that you have a strong sense of every character's hitboxes, startup/lag times on moves, movement abilities, jump properties, etc. Before that stage, it's pretty much useless, or harmful even (if you use it to draw the wrong conclusions because you don't know enough about the game).

That stuff is much easier to learn by playing a lot than by reading frame data for moves, or even watching videos, though I think you could if you were good at watching videos.

Guaranteed throws->stuff [Falcon throws falcon uthrow->dsmash 80% for example]
This is pretty underused, yeah. The percent range right before you can knee.

and general character things, like mindsets and best options [spacies usually tech in place, for example]
...:urg:

0Room

Smash Lord
<_<
Thought everyone knew that haha
You can theorycraft all you want but it doesn't do jack until you get your hands dirty
Well yes
I'm just saying before you start theory crafting
You need to play a lot first xD
Like a LOT.

Know what I mean?

And Winston, why the sad face?

0Room

Smash Lord
It's a tendency, not a 100% guarantee
I find it's pretty true
Maybe it's just me though, and the people I play

Knee gives you enough time to follow with a grab though if you guess wrong iirc

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't even think it works as a general rule of thumb :\
Knee -> grab the techroll? I don't think it works unless they're not buffering out and even then you have to be really quick to make it look plausible

D

Deleted member

knee --> grab tech roll works if the spacies you play are bad

why? because good spacies will DI the down-throw down and away so that its difficult to even knee a no-tech in time, let alone knee then grab follow up

sometimes though you'll have enough time, not all spacies DI perfectly

in terms of spacies tech rolls, I made an old topic in melee discussion about this

kind of a silly topic lol but it went like:

kooksters always tech in

aggressive, stupid technicals want to tech in place to get back up and mess u up

wimpy people tech away

smarter/patients no-tech more often then react accordingly based on what you do

Top Bottom