• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
Whenever I bair offstage in tourney/MM and they tech -> kill my recovery, I always laugh or say something to try to make them think that I dont give a **** about the tourney match/MM. Maybe they think about it a little too much and I can get a slightly easier kill or two in the future. . .
Mindgames never hurt, right?
Prolly doesnt work, but id like to think it does sometimes. . . .

Hey, is there a trick you guys use to perform the insta-shbair approach easier? While I can do it 80% of the time during practice, I find myself messing it up waaay more in games I care more about, whiffing with a fh/sh knee or usmash instead. I try slightly holding up before I push X, and then pushing it up alil more after the jump and before I push 'a'.
It's most likely a matter of nerves and just getting used to the tactic, but maybe there's something Im not thinking of. . . Kind of like how, back in the day, I always thought you had to let go of R before quickly hitting 'z' to grab so fast oos. . . .
Then I was like "omg shieldgrab wuut?"

0Room

Smash Lord
I like comboing spacies with an unhealthy amount of raptor boosts
qft
In friendlies it's pretty amazing to juggle them for lolz

I dunno I'm just starting to really understand how comboing works
Like really understand
REALLY understand

so
I can't say anything about it

Brookman

Smash Hero
Why aren't you kneeing people??

DEA R JUGGLEGUY,

I am subbed to you so I watched your recent vids. One thing I notice, You're particularly good at getting SHFFL Knee right on shield. You will usually . .. .Gentlemen. or jab. . .Knee on shield is Amazing because it gives you advantage (If you're operating well) to do things like GRAB/UP AIR/Nair/Dash. . . /short hop/full jump/double jump. .. . bair?? ( FALCON PUNCH, Once they start rolling ;] )

I think you get the idea. Just keep working on your aggro/reading.

Does anyone actually fish for the stomp>falcon punch vs f/f/f ??

or at all >_>

<_<

I know Jpeg does, he's baller

Here's an idea. Wanna talk about precision??

Shffl knee on shield > dash away, outside grab range (pivot/shield/wavedash in place to break). > _______________ (fill in the blank)

You can obviously (and probably easily) vary spacing to facilitate ease of follow ups. i.e. spacing knee outside of shielding characters grab/oos range (think, fair for marth.)

IIRC, down air can go over certain character's grab hitbox, provided timing is correct.

Windrose

Smash Lord
All falcon players should read sun tzu's art of war if they wish to become good.

Or alternatively, Brannigan's big book of war.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Can still be serious. I bet Nestea's read sun tsu's art of war.

Idra probably read branigan's big book of war.

I am listening to the audio version of the book on youtube.

1st thing: use deception to confuse your enemy! (aka Mind games)

applies everywhere.

0Room

Smash Lord
I read that after I applied to MBR

I realized that I had basically been saying a lot of things in the book
without ever having read the book

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i wish. Im like low dia right now. I have a lot of things to still learn about the game on the whole. I just started practicing again this week; i joined a clan recently so i have practice partners and i'm forcing myself through a certain amount of ladder games per day. My goal is to have masters by the end of sept.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
i just started playing sc2 again too. played brood war for a good few hours today and it was great. i was high plat back in my prime...

nestea is 2 good

btw captain falcon

Windrose

Smash Lord
I stopped playing sc2 before they released masters league so I'm still in diamond. I beat some masters players but i didn't get promoted :(.

I wanna learn brood war...

It seems really fun and it seems like the melee equivalent of sc.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The difference between brawl and melee isnt the same as the difference between bw and sc2. brawl dumbed down many things in a negative way forcing competition to be less deep. bw had a lot of depth, dont get me wrong, but it was very limited due to the bad UI.

Improvements such as selecting multiple buildings, rallying workers and unlimited selection simply allow a player to preform their actions easier. High APM players now spend less time moving their scvs to mineral patches and instead can now attack on 3 fronts instead of 2. In the end, the game still works with the fundamental assumption that a player can't do every single thing they want/need to do and thus there is an unreachable "perfect" play.

That said, I do think there are some balance issues that blizzard is a little to blind to notice or address. Like i've said about melee's match-ups (recently got brought up in some thread) all moving towards even, the same happens as the metagame develops in sc2. Blizzard uses raw numbers that show "hey its pretty close to 50% win rates in each match-up, so it must be balanced!" but they are seem blind to the fundamental necessities of their game. Hopefully HotS addresses zerg's lack of spacial control options.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
DEA R JUGGLEGUY,

I am subbed to you so I watched your recent vids. One thing I notice, You're particularly good at getting SHFFL Knee right on shield. You will usually . .. .Gentlemen. or jab. . .Knee on shield is Amazing because it gives you advantage (If you're operating well) to do things like GRAB/UP AIR/Nair/Dash. . . /short hop/full jump/double jump. .. . bair?? ( FALCON PUNCH, Once they start rolling ;] )

I think you get the idea. Just keep working on your aggro/reading.
nah dude I suck

but I do like to knee shields, makes Falcon feel so... superior

Windrose

Smash Lord
tub girl lol...

i also liked sc1 more than sc2 even though i only watched sc1. i'm going to try to learn broodwar in the future.

EDIT: I also add sveet to my list of people that I'm 100% certain is asian irl even though i've never seen a picture/video of them.

people on this list:
wenbobular
sveet
winston
teczero

not actually 100% sure about any of those except wenbobular

winston and teczero might just be white dudes that like anime.
sveet might just be some white dude that likes sc2 so much that he puts a picture of an asian in his avatar.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
^ windrose you are the best .... oh god... LOL

not 100% sure for me? I don't use enough smileys for you to be sure? haha

I definitely didn't guess asian for sveet though.

@ sveet:

the "all matchups move towards 50% or 100%" thing you keep saying has no basis...

Mokumo

Smash Ace
Just because they made sc2 easier doesn't make it close to being better than brood war.

I'm still working on knee on shield to grab.. I'm going to a little fest tonight so I'll be working on it

:phone:

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Sveet is white, winston is black, tec0 is asian. Moose is asian though. Actually all of Michigan smash is asian except the retired Dope

:phone:

Zoler

Smash Ace
sup guys I'll MM anyone in scbw or sc2 any amount pretty much.

also sc1 >>> sc2 so rather scbw....

Top Bottom