• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
I just decided to pick up melee again last week after learning the college I''m going to doesn't have a brawl scene at all (not that bummed). I used to play melee a ton but unfortunately really was just starting to get into the competitive scene just a couple months before brawl came out. I can wavedash decently, shffl pretty well and pull off most of falcons other techs, however I wanted to know if there's anything in particular I can do to improve quickly. My friend is going to start playing with me and i know the best way to get better is to play good people, but that's not really an option until fall. I just wanted to know If there's some alternative to a training regime like wavedash practice for 20 minutes, then shffl practice for so and so amount of time, etc.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I just decided to pick up melee again last week after learning the college I''m going to doesn't have a brawl scene at all (not that bummed). I used to play melee a ton but unfortunately really was just starting to get into the competitive scene just a couple months before brawl came out. I can wavedash decently, shffl pretty well and pull off most of falcons other techs, however I wanted to know if there's anything in particular I can do to improve quickly. My friend is going to start playing with me and i know the best way to get better is to play good people, but that's not really an option until fall. I just wanted to know If there's some alternative to a training regime like wavedash practice for 20 minutes, then shffl practice for so and so amount of time, etc.
To improve quickly? That's up to you. If you really want to.. then get beaten on by awesome players over and over.... x10000 times. Until you can understand how to space, get hits in, proper mindgames.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmp_pv8qmCc&feature=channel
This was shortly after I got off grounding for a month.

I listened to what you guys said and I laid off the SHFFLs and kept what was necessary.
Anything left to improve on?
Its a little hard to tell cuz that roy wasnt very good lol. but just remember that everytime u jump u dont have to aerial. That seems to be something that alot of mid level players get into once they perfect shfflng and such. Fake out more and try to run around slower characters.

Its not a bad thing that u were coming down with those knees tho because that roy left himself open almost every time with those up+Bs.

One thing id say, if they dont DI then u can get another grab in. so dthrow grab repeat. also its not a bad idea to let them tech and tech chase. your game will improve so much more if u learn to keep on them once u get inside[tech chases, thunders, harder punishes off the tech chase]. just work on your ground game a little u seemed to go airborne almost every time.

0Room

Smash Lord
I think I've got this down but I just wanted to make sure; in the CF/Marf match up, it's basically grab camp /low uairs/spaced nairs.
However, that really doesn't leave a lot of room for the killing moves; Marth is a nasty person to try to slam with those knees.

So I was assuming that it's mostly dthrow->lowuair->dthrow->nair->DD->dthrow->knee once he gets to ~50/60%
I'm just checking if that's what I should be doing or if you have better advice. You are the pros after all.

cykofox

Smash Ace
stomp him when he cc's

youll only really need to do that once or twice, then he won't cc so often because he'll be scared of you getting through it, then you can read the rolls and stuff he'll be doing instead

the djc isnt worth it at low %, but once he gets up there a little bit go for it for sure cause its an auto kill if you knock him off the level after his double jump

nice location, the chivas are sweet
lol wtf? bigD comin with the footie knowlege...

calmchaos

Smash Apprentice
Dumb question. What do I do vs a ganon that just spaces Fair? I know how to combo a ganon, but I can't deal with the spaced Fair. So much range, and so much shield stun.
When the Ganon plays campy like this I just don't know what to do.
Thanks for any help.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
0room once they get around 30% go for uthrow uairs, until like 70% when you can uthrow knee

if they DI the dthrow away, you wont be able to do anything, so youre better off with the uthrow. before 30% though, they can fair or jump before you can get them

ganon is tricky when theyre good at just spacing, you can fly in with a nair but its about a 50/50 shot. the best advice i can give is to just move around a lot before attacking, up in the air, dash dancing, etc. in order to get them to mess up their spacing and either try too hard to hit you or not be ready when you hit them. im pretty sure nair is the only move falcon has that can really give ganon trouble in terms of approach

PCHU

Smash Lord
Its a little hard to tell cuz that roy wasnt very good lol. but just remember that everytime u jump u dont have to aerial. That seems to be something that alot of mid level players get into once they perfect shfflng and such. Fake out more and try to run around slower characters.

Its not a bad thing that u were coming down with those knees tho because that roy left himself open almost every time with those up+Bs.

One thing id say, if they dont DI then u can get another grab in. so dthrow grab repeat. also its not a bad idea to let them tech and tech chase. your game will improve so much more if u learn to keep on them once u get inside[tech chases, thunders, harder punishes off the tech chase]. just work on your ground game a little u seemed to go airborne almost every time.
The Roy player is a friend of mine.
She doesn't want to go competitive, since she doesn't like practicing at all.
She said if she gets REALLY bored during the summer, she'll practice.

It sucks, since nobody better is available to fight.
One person is on my level, but he uses Kirby, and the chances of me fighting a Kirby in a tourney are very slim.

0Room

Smash Lord
0room once they get around 30% go for uthrow uairs, until like 70% when you can uthrow knee

if they DI the dthrow away, you wont be able to do anything, so youre better off with the uthrow. before 30% though, they can fair or jump before you can get them
Thanks for the help.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
The Roy player is a friend of mine.
She doesn't want to go competitive, since she doesn't like practicing at all.
She said if she gets REALLY bored during the summer, she'll practice.

It sucks, since nobody better is available to fight.
One person is on my level, but he uses Kirby, and the chances of me fighting a Kirby in a tourney are very slim.
Im not worried about the roy player, since its you in here asking for guidance. I was only giving u the feedback that you asked for.

Im aware of your situation, and took that into account from the last videos u posted. I just know if u are more unpredictable with your attacks you can pretrain yourself to fight better players when you do get the chance.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Im not worried about the roy player, since its you in here asking for guidance. I was only giving u the feedback that you asked for.

Im aware of your situation, and took that into account from the last videos u posted. I just know if u are more unpredictable with your attacks you can pretrain yourself to fight better players when you do get the chance.
Oh, alright.
Thanks for the help!

DRD

Smash Lord
I just started practicing my falcon as my secondary
I only know the basics; I can l-cancel consistently and wavedash consistently

But what are the biggest things a new falcon player should keep in mind, against any opponent?

Also, some common set-ups/ combos?

Milos

Smash Lord
just keep spacing in mind

in terms of common setups and combos

uh low percent nair -> grab

once they get to like 50 set up a knee with a dair or nair. i mean it depends on what character your opponent is. specifics?

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
I think I've got this down but I just wanted to make sure; in the CF/Marf match up, it's basically grab camp /low uairs/spaced nairs.
However, that really doesn't leave a lot of room for the killing moves; Marth is a nasty person to try to slam with those knees.

So I was assuming that it's mostly dthrow->lowuair->dthrow->nair->DD->dthrow->knee once he gets to ~50/60%
I'm just checking if that's what I should be doing or if you have better advice. You are the pros after all.
when playing against marth, remain in control. if you step off the offensive, you will not get it back. Space nairs, the priority and range will help get grabs and knees. When it comes to killing, your magic number is 32%. This is where triple knees happen.
I'd say more but I need to get off.
believe in yourself
enjoy bacon

skyheart

Smash Lord

once they get to like 50 set up a knee with a dair or nair. i mean it depends on what character your opponent is. specifics?
come to me, now

DRD

Smash Lord

Specifically- Fox. It's my cousin's main so he'll be my main opposition

Besides, I need to learn fox matchups in general anyways

Other than that, Falco, Marth, the big ones.

But if you can, I'd also like some Pichu advice

Milos

Smash Lord
LOL i have no idea he's been coming here every couple of months tho

and yea tipman's been going to biweeklies and stuff. ganon work is od

LOL BURGER KING! im jealous i need a job

what town do you work in son

PCHU

Smash Lord
Specifically- Fox. It's my cousin's main so he'll be my main opposition

Besides, I need to learn fox matchups in general anyways

Other than that, Falco, Marth, the big ones.

But if you can, I'd also like some Pichu advice
PICHU ADVICE?!
I'm a Pichu main.

But unfortunately, I couldn't help you much, since my playstyle consists of quick SHFFL'd nairs and bairs.
Uthrow -> usmash is your best friend.
I think you could repeat that, but it depends on your opponent.
That's what I use, and they're usually past 50% after two of those.
But, of course, I mainly fight CPUs (high tier characters; I rarely fight lower).

But could someone answer my previous question, please?

skyheart

Smash Lord
LOL i have no idea he's been coming here every couple of months tho

and yea tipman's been going to biweeklies and stuff. ganon work is od

LOL BURGER KING! im jealous i need a job

what town do you work in son
glassboro, i think i ate like a sandwich everytime i made one lewl! but camon, comeheremeow, ny is so faahhhhh

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhl9gORrSsY
I played this about an hour ago at my friend's house.
Is this alright?
I'm not speaking sarcastically either, but I'm honestly asking, what could I have done better?
I just need to know if I'm missing ANYTHING at all.
I took your advice and tried to apply it here.
Uhh, stick on them better. Falcon can run circles around roy, so some fullhop stuff you did was just silly. Don't dair that much, I know it's awesome, but you don't nair at all and taking some dair out and putting in some nair would really help.
nair nair nair nair nairnairnainfdjsaj
/******
Uhh, roy gets combo'd real easy, so more horisontal stuff could help. Try tech chasing, too.

Just randomly, I know what it's like being a young smasher with no one to play with. I started when I was 12, I think, and didn't know anyone advanced. I played with my scrub friend every day, and never entered a tournament. I spent 2 long years playing with no competition. When I turned 14 I met some people in high school who played too, and went to tournaments. I started going and improved drastically. Now I'm 15 and going to genesis.
What I mean is don't worry if you don't have anyone to play with. One day you'll find a good sparring partner, even if you need to train them yourself.
If I'm ever in Tennessee, I'll be sure to play you.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Uhh, stick on them better. Falcon can run circles around roy, so some fullhop stuff you did was just silly. Don't dair that much, I know it's awesome, but you don't nair at all and taking some dair out and putting in some nair would really help.
nair nair nair nair nairnairnainfdjsaj
/******
Uhh, roy gets combo'd real easy, so more horisontal stuff could help. Try tech chasing, too.

Just randomly, I know what it's like being a young smasher with no one to play with. I started when I was 12, I think, and didn't know anyone advanced. I played with my scrub friend every day, and never entered a tournament. I spent 2 long years playing with no competition. When I turned 14 I met some people in high school who played too, and went to tournaments. I started going and improved drastically. Now I'm 15 and going to genesis.
What I mean is don't worry if you don't have anyone to play with. One day you'll find a good sparring partner, even if you need to train them yourself.
If I'm ever in Tennessee, I'll be sure to play you.
Thanks for your advice.
I don't use nair very much; I used to use it a lot as a combo starter.
I'll try and stuff it in there some more.

And I've been trying to cut down n the full hop stuff.
Sometimes I do it by accident, so I guess I need to continue to practice tech skill.

Also, I'm in high school as well.
But the thing is that everyone cares about Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
And HALO.... :urg:
The only person I know of that's competitive is my friend, and he's below me in all areas.
There's a 21-year-old I fight every now and then at church.
He uses Kirby, but I never use CF against him, since I have trouble.
I mostly use Fox or Falco.
Marth has been my best bet lately, since I fought him at a 4-stock and came out with two.
One was a suicide, the other was a failed spike so he ledgehogged.

Anyways, I'll keep trying.
Thanks for your help.

Scar

#HarveyDent
FULLY RELEASE the A button every time though! that's the secret for chrissake, calmchaos how many times do you hit the gentleman like that without the integral missing ingredient?!

bunch of jabronis.

WHERE IS BIG D?? I'm taking him out of the title if he isn't responding for me.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
ive answered most of the questions lately, just ignored the burger king stuff

and i didnt think you could hit A more than once without fully releasing it in between, its not a pressure sensitive button is it?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
and i didnt think you could hit A more than once without fully releasing it in between, its not a pressure sensitive button is it?
I've often wondered this, but I definitely can't gentleman using this method without fully releasing each time like Scar said.

Scar

#HarveyDent
idk take your finger off the a button

it has to be b/c it never works for me if i don't do that

i haven't answered any of the questions thats why i'd better see your name on every page buster

im gonna start infracting people for talking about burger king in my thread mwahaha

Top Bottom